Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

shs posted:

I haven't posted on these forums for a while (I still read you are bad posts during my free time though). Anyway, I made a game and released it on Steam today.

steam store link

It's a food delivery driver simulator. The idea is that you lost your job during the pandemic / pandemic lock downs and have to make money by delivery food. It was inspired by the time I spent delivering food during the pandemic / lock downs.

TATCM-3KT03-4N707

took a chance that a key was still alive, and managed to nab this one. congrats on the release!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

shs posted:

I haven't posted on these forums for a while (I still read you are bad posts during my free time though). Anyway, I made a game and released it on Steam today.

steam store link

It's a food delivery driver simulator. The idea is that you lost your job during the pandemic / pandemic lock downs and have to make money by delivery food. It was inspired by the time I spent delivering food during the pandemic / lock downs.

I really like your art, the Earthbound-style forced perspective thing is criminally underused among pixel games IMO

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

There's some kind of lag playing games on my tv. How do I figure out if it's the tv, the contoller, their cables, the pc's displayport output...?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mescal posted:

There's some kind of lag playing games on my tv. How do I figure out if it's the tv, the contoller, their cables, the pc's displayport output...?
You could plug a monitor in instead to see if it resolves. It's 97.8% most likely your tv though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mescal posted:

Try to find out if your TV has a "gaming" or "PC" preset

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Mescal posted:

If it’s the TV/PC, Try HDMI cable if the PC have it. Mess around with their refresh rate too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Blattdorf posted:

I'm not sure why, but it's wild to read about games coming out in 2023 and recall how you could go into a shop and buy a DOS game in a vastly oversized box containing a manual, a CD and a registration form nobody ever used.

half the thread will now feel old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiRn2YttE0

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You could plug a monitor in instead to see if it resolves. It's 97.8% most likely your tv though.

The monitor doesn't have the lag. Is there anything I can do to mitigate it? Most of the settings that gently caress around with the way the TV displays video are off.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Nyaa posted:

If it’s the TV/PC, Try HDMI cable if the PC have it. Mess around with their refresh rate too.

This pc only has old-monitor out and displayport out, I'm using a displayport to hdmi cable. Refresh rate in the TV's settings? I'll see if there is that option

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mescal posted:

The monitor doesn't have the lag. Is there anything I can do to mitigate it? Most of the settings that gently caress around with the way the TV displays video are off.
If it has a game mode, turn that on.

Absent that, turn absolutely every setting you can find off. Everything. Especially anything that sounds like it has to do with "motion" or "overscan"

shs
Feb 14, 2012
edit

shs fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 4, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The United States posted:

If it has a game mode, turn that on.

Absent that, turn absolutely every setting you can find off. Everything. Especially anything that sounds like it has to do with "motion" or "overscan"

I'm 60% sure the game mode does nothing but change the color/contrast, and I can't turn the backlight on all the way with it on. Anyway, without game mode it seems to be playing without lag at least well enough to parry. If it's different from last night, what's wrong was something that's not constant.

Maybe I'll download a guitar hero game or something and check the latency on monitor and tv with the configure option. That wouldn't isolate video problems from controller problems though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you aren't specifically buying gamer-approved TVs it's really easy to find some that are still in the 50ms+ range which is fine in a world of console games on generic TVs but maybe annoying if you're trying to play something with snap gameplay. People recommending game mode are because it's often the turn off pre processing and get to 5ms mode.

Google is kind of split on if a displayport to HDMI adapter lag. My understanding is a displayport should be transmitting an HDMI signal if that's what sort of handshake it makes so the adaptor itself shouldn't be too much cause even if cheap it's just a pass through. But also different TVs and monitors can get extra temperamental with any sort of signal degradation on an HDMI so any cheap adaptor or cable could be making it angry.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zedprime posted:

Google is kind of split on if a displayport to HDMI adapter lag. My understanding is a displayport should be transmitting an HDMI signal if that's what sort of handshake it makes so the adaptor itself shouldn't be too much cause even if cheap it's just a pass through.
Old DisplayPort to HDMI adapters were "passive", in that the video card itself was emitting TMDS signaling over a DisplayPort port, and all the adapter does is map pins to an HDMI cable.

Newer DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapters are active though, in that they contain circuity to convert a DisplayPort-native packetized signal to TMDS. They do this because HDMI 1.4 (which is the highest-version supported by DisplayPort devices) doesn't have enough bandwidth to do 4K 60 Hz 4:4:4, while DisplayPort itself does.

Still, I wouldn't expect active converters to contribute to signal lag--they don't have the resources to buffer even a full frame of video. Just pointing out these things are not as simple as they once were (if ever).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Blattdorf posted:

I'm not sure why, but it's wild to read about games coming out in 2023 and recall how you could go into a shop and buy a DOS game in a vastly oversized box containing a manual, a CD and a registration form nobody ever used.

This absolute monster of a box was double the width of a standard PC game box and contained one (1) 3CD jewel case containing:

- Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2
- Curse of Monkey Island CD1
- Curse of Monkey Island CD2

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Party Boat posted:

This absolute monster of a box was double the width of a standard PC game box and contained one (1) 3CD jewel case containing:

- Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2
- Curse of Monkey Island CD1
- Curse of Monkey Island CD2

gently caress yeah that box rules. Big boxes rule, I still have my huge Age of Empire II box in storage, but it pales in comparison to the collectors edition box:

Stolen from Reddit

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Blattdorf posted:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god drat

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My brother bought at the very least Warcraft 3 and all its expansions in a box like that. I think he also got Diablo 1 and 2 + expansions in another one.

And of course with Reforged, that box (and the discs inside) is now useless... :eng99:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Woah, that Blade Runner box brings back memories. We got our first family computer when I was like 12 - an IBM Aptiva with the AMD K6 processor. Me and brothers were super excited to play a game on it and we chose Blade Runner. The computer couldn't run it and our budget for games was wiped out, so we spent weeks trying to get it to work, looking at the box, looking at the manual, all in vain. We ended up playing a bunch of minesweeper, Paint, and watching the Buddy Holly Windows 95 demo video over and over.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

shs posted:

steam store link

Here are some Steam keys:

F30P5-NK8VM-ZGWAF

Everyone got clever and nobody claimed the very first key, until I did :c00lbutt: Thanks, will give this a shot (art is great)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had a ton of old timey cardboard PC game boxes but had to get rid of most of them the last time I moved, it was just not practical to move so much air :(

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Kennel posted:

Trying to find a not-so-popular game 6+ months after the release was hell.

thats true, but it was also very fun to go check out the heavy discount bin to get some weird titles for a few bucks. In the 90s I even got games at the flea market which sadly pretty much died off.

I used buy cheap stuff I never heard of just based on the package design and backside text. Wild times.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In all the Far Cry games I can think of it's really hard to loot enemy corpses without accidentally grabbing the enemy gun and dropping yours. Whyyyy.

So far this year I have played Blood Dragon, Far Cry 4, and New Dawn. I'm most of the way through Far Cry 5 now. The core gameplay loop is fun as hell and the story parts are so bad it hurts. Probably will play the one with Gus Fring eventually but it will be a while till it's on sale. FC5 has DLC but it looks abysmal.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I haven't seen it posted but if it has, it's always worth reminding people.

Red Candle Games, creators of Detention and Devotion (which inspired considerable controversy and censorship for angering Chinese netizens with a Winnie the Pooh reference), has launched a crowdfunding campaign for their next game Nine Sols.

Notably it's pretty different from the Taiwanese social commentary horror games they made their name on. Instead it's a 2D action platformer (from looking at the screens you might even say it's a parry Soulslike).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luKV9hpDvw8

The campaign is here:
https://shop.redcandlegames.com/projects/ninesols

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'll always remember being 12 years old and walking into the store and buying this just because the box was really big and I remembered my brother saying Ultima Online was cool :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thats a sick car bed, do you have one of those irl

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'll always remember being 12 years old and walking into the store and buying this just because the box was really big and I remembered my brother saying Ultima Online was cool :allears:

How in the world has there not been an Ultima remake/reboot?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kazil posted:

How in the world has there not been an Ultima remake/reboot?

I would presume it's a combo of Richard Garriott scamming people trying to pitch a successor to Ultima Online with what control he had over the license in Shroud of the Avatar, and EA having such disdain for everything under the Origin banner that the only reference they've made to the company was naming their incredibly poor at launch client for the corpse of the business.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

secretly best girl posted:

and EA having such disdain for everything under the Origin banner that the only reference they've made to the company was naming their incredibly poor at launch client for the corpse of the business.

Huh, I don't know how I never noticed or connected those dots, but oof...that does hurt.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Also Garriott owns the rights to the "Lord British" character, so they can't just remake the old Ultima games without either getting his permission to use the character (which is... unlikely) or cutting Lord British out entirely.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
gently caress Lord British, I'm ready for Lord Australlian. I want to see this dude call someone a cheeky drongo or w/e.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If you picked up the humble ukraine bundle it added iron danger and ryse: son of rome.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We already have the Divinity Original Sin series for good turn based Rpgs where you can pick up candlesticks and nail your boot soles without the baggage of a weird Texan guy.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

fez_machine posted:

it's a parry Soulslike

stop making everything a soulslike :argh:
(not you fez_machine, the world)

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

My parents threw out all my old PC boxes and I was pretty pissed tbh

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'll always be mad that they didn't just re-use the Ultima Online engine for a single player game instead of the early 3D mess that Ultima IX turned out to be.

But even that failure was still better than EA using the Ultima name for bad mobile game that they shut down years ago.

Anyway...I also wanted to say Ultima VII still rocks. Very much ahead of its time in multiple ways and a remake would be awesome.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

ryse: son of rome.

i.e the $60 bait to convince consumers to buy the Kinect/Xbone bundle at release.

It's seriously a 5 hour game that looks incredible but plays like a $10 lovely indie release.

It's borderline incoherent as a story, has some of the worst boss fights I've ever seen in a AA or higher game, and after ~30 minutes you've basically seen everything the game has to offer.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

pentyne posted:

i.e the $60 bait to convince consumers to buy the Kinect/Xbone bundle at release.

It's seriously a 5 hour game that looks incredible but plays like a $10 lovely indie release.

It's borderline incoherent as a story, has some of the worst boss fights I've ever seen in a AA or higher game, and after ~30 minutes you've basically seen everything the game has to offer.

I was going to say, it's impressive they managed to make the bundle less valuable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Alright, prepare for a long-rear end post.

Good post, Thanks!