Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i am harry posted:

I feel like this is one of about six people in the world I would immediately attack if introduced to, and by abandoning the precautionary principle I’m sure he’d survive and live a perfectly healthy and happy long life.

You’ll be an amusing anecdote at his ritzy functions where they privately cringe at it the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

Matty Egg must have been feeling like he wasn't getting enough attention so he's upping his takes.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1506603103491174408?s=20&t=3KcycsClADBEN9dvbAtz-g

"don't even think about it unless it's already killed you" is normal public policy now

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

death

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

V-Flex! Get 'em here. $0.80/mask (*$20 shipping, someone told me tho)

https://www.maxprod.com/products/3M31-17397.asp

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everything is a tragic farce

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

redreader posted:

Well, it WAS obama, but now it's also Clinton lol
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1506397903765581836

Very late to this, but lmao

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

genericnick posted:

Very late to this, but lmao

it's never too late to lmao*

* typed as i await the results of my coughing wife's ellume test :11tea:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Shifty Nipples posted:

be sure to clarify that the thread mascot is the inflatable christmas tree costume

I'm finishing updating the new OP and don't want to miss this essential data point. Anyone got a link to our mascot origin story?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

i think you're right, but i wonder if capital would've succeeded at moving on from covid with trump still as president. i feel they'd be hamstrung by trump being a dipshit who can't ever shut up or stop tweeting

Moving on from covid was the reality as soon as capital realized they could sustain it without total economic collapse. Trump was at best a useful idiot who turned a pandemic into a culture war issue while everyone shrugged as agricultural workers died in droves. You could probably say that vaccine uptake would have been better if trump were re-elected but that’s about it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

clar-ence

Thom-as

*clap clap clap-clap-clap*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TheSlutPit posted:

Moving on from covid was the reality as soon as capital realized they could sustain it without total economic collapse. Trump was at best a useful idiot who turned a pandemic into a culture war issue while everyone shrugged as agricultural workers died in droves. You could probably say that vaccine uptake would have been better if trump were re-elected but that’s about it.

Going to go ahead and say that the only thing capital realized is that it wouldn't cause immediate economic collapse. The future ain't looking bright.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

Going to go ahead and say that the only thing capital realized is that it wouldn't cause immediate economic collapse. The future ain't looking bright.

capital does not, and cannot, plan for long-term. it is not sapient in the way that we understand the word, but it has motive and means.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

empty whippet box posted:

"don't even think about it unless it's already killed you" is normal public policy now

It's a problem if I have to do anything about it, it's a crisis if it personally affects me.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mdemone posted:

clar-ence

Thom-as

*clap clap clap-clap-clap*
flu like symptoms, lol

not covid!!!

also

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1506774254322393092?s=21

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

:coronatoot:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:rip: to a real one

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/caitiedelaney/status/1506464376710045703?s=20&t=eL0dUZDNGMSEeGXsRpi5Hg

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

we did it!!

hell yes, what a ride. top tier posting :respek:

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

This is just “covid is over” but for capitalism

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

that matty thread gets worse if you keep going https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1506605482101854221 everyone should listen 👏 to 👏 the 👏 experts 👏 who have sensible views I agree with

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

TheSlutPit posted:

This is just “covid is over” but for capitalism

Why would capitalism go away if the economy collapses

that's one hell of a dip to buy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Grey Fox posted:

that matty thread gets worse if you keep going https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1506605482101854221 everyone should listen 👏 to 👏 the 👏 experts 👏 who have sensible views I agree with

He’s so arrogant it’s cartoonish

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

*running into the room, desperately out of breath* he's with jod now!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
*trips over fosborb, slams into wall*

it's pronounced "so-vid-19"!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wrongest person to ever live:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mola Yam posted:

*trips over fosborb, slams into wall*

it's pronounced "so-vid-19"!

More like 's'over-with-19.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

we did it!!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
How do these ghouls keep ignoring Long COVID?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Why should we invest in preventing the next pandemic

Wanting to prevent a pandemic seems to imply that we shouldn't be ignoring this one and that can't be right

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

didn’t happen to them or anyone important, so :shrug:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Why Am I So Tired posted:

You mean same as climate change in regards on focusing on short term outcomes?

Money :homebrew:

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Well, clearly, the options are a) eradicating the disease or b) doing nothing, and eradication was always impossible, so really we can only do nothing,

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paradoxish posted:

Wanting to prevent a pandemic seems to imply that we shouldn't be ignoring this one and that can't be right

this very fancy map says the US is the most prepared for the next pandemic, so

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 4 days!)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

the only way for the US to prepare for the next pandemic is to start killing another thousand people a day extra to get us used to it beforehand

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Really just what we have been discussing itt, but I figure it might be nice for some to have a source that isn't the thread, saying the same.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/03/next-covid-variant-surge-strategy/627597/ posted:

America Is About to Test How Long ‘Normal’ Can Hold
Whenever it arrives, the next surge could put the country’s tolerance for disease and death in full relief.
(..)
Dillydallying inevitably racks up the kinds of costs we can’t recoup. Two health-policy researchers, Joshua Salomon of Stanford and Alyssa Bilinski of Brown, recently ran an analysis of the CDC’s new guidance and found that waiting for the CDC’s “high” level to turn on additional protections could lock the country into at least 1,000 Americans dying each day from COVID. “We’ve embarked on this experiment to see how far we can push two extremes: how low we can push our level of response, and how high we can push our tolerance for avoidable illness and death,” Salomon told me. The death toll could be lower if COVID’s fatality rate decreased—if, say, vaccination rates suddenly rocketed up, or if every infected person could instantly access tests and treatments. But Salomon said those are very unsafe bets to make. As it stands, “the CDC policy is to not take action to reduce spread until there is a high level of death,” Raifman told me. And that’s to say nothing about the long-COVID cases and other serious impacts that would follow as well.
(..)
I asked the CDC for its take on what’s up ahead. “We’re in a stronger place today as a nation with more tools to protect ourselves and our communities from COVID-19,” Jasmine Reed, an agency spokesperson, wrote in an email. “CDC’s COVID Community Levels and the corresponding prevention measures allow us to adapt and respond to new variants or a surge in cases.” Somehow that seems tough to square with the dwindling of funds to support further vaccinations, testing, and treatment—especially for the communities that most need to access them. The CDC’s new guidance is contingent on a capacity to react, and the assumption that supplies are free-flowing. They are not; they never have been; they will not be, unless more money comes through. Which means that we’re slated to start this next surge not just with porous shields but without the ability to patch the gaps. At the press briefing, White House officials underlined Congress’s failure to refresh pandemic funds, outlining again the consequences of the shortages that will result.
(..)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it’s pronounced ‘gif’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus