Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, I'm looking forward to finding out whether or not you all are just stuck in the bargaining phase of loss. The theory seems half-plausible, but I've been disappointed before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Well, I'm looking forward to finding out whether or not you all are just stuck in the bargaining phase of loss. The theory seems half-plausible, but I've been disappointed before.

honestly i thought it was kinda obvious, i'm surprised that people missed her expression

e: :actually:

Niavmai fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 22, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Niavmai posted:

honestly i thought it was kinda obvious, i'm surprised that people missed her expression

I think it's because the expression comes two panels later. It could just as easily be reacting to a random person showing empathy and asking "Are you okay?" when Annie hasn't been subject to a lot of that in her life, especially with everyone so busy with other stuff as of late and her having gone through some significant emotional upheavals. It would be less ambiguous if we had any reason to trust the author, which... recently, we kind of don't, unfortunately.

I would love to be the one eating crow, though.

Also I agree with the person describing Loup's weird droopy philtrum mouth as straight out of Rick & Morty. It's been bugging the crap out of me.

thighlandertwo
Jan 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:hmmyes: Teach the petulant genocidal god dog how to be Laplace's Demon, brilliant idea.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

thighlandertwo posted:

:hmmyes: Teach the petulant genocidal god dog how to be Laplace's Demon, brilliant idea.

On the other hand, said petulant genocidal god dog seems to be confused about atoms, so I'm not sure how well would that work. :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'd say this chapter seems to indicate even more strongly that Anni suspects something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was kind of wondering how this worked because he seemed nothing like loup at all. Turns out he can put on a really good mask while still going WHAT THE gently caress ARE ATOMS in his internal voice.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

I'd say this chapter seems to indicate even more strongly that Anni suspects something.

this is your bi-yearly reminder that there is in fact an e in 'Annie'

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Just had a thought that would support the Annie is baiting Loup theory. Someone in the thread mentioned earlier that it's possible the robots look different in the ether than humans, not-quite humans, or forest creatures. We know that Aata tried to suppress his true nature, but the fairies recognized him as a pretty man, for example.

So what does Robo-Loup look like? Can he actually suppress his etheric aura enough to hide his true nature from Annie and Renard, assuming they're bothering to look for it? If he's internally raging out at every little thing, there's no way he's concentrating that hard to hide who he is.

Or, would Kat keep some kind of ID/inventory of the number of robots that have transitioned to the new body?

Like, it's really plausible that this is a bait, or that the main crew would figure out a way to find him, and the only explanation of why we're seeing everything from his angle instead of Annie's is because the mystery would have been solved already.

I dunno, I feel like I'm grasping at straws at this point.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
This is such a random way to learn this and I no longer think it’s a bait (or at least it’s a bait but is actually what the omega project is)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I would enjoy it if his rants and facial expressions were diegetic (not quite the word I want) and that's what he actually looks like to Annie right now in the ethervision.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

I would enjoy it if his rants and facial expressions were diegetic (not quite the word I want) and that's what he actually looks like to Annie right now in the ethervision.

it would certainly be embarrassing for him, since the lummox can’t go two minutes without internal screaming

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

It is my personal belief that determinism is a really boring way to look at the universe. Laplace's Demon is depressing and boring.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Oxxidation posted:

it would certainly be embarrassing for him, since the lummox can’t go two minutes without internal screaming

Whomst among us can anymore?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Determinism is so boring, though. Laplace's demon is boring and depressing. It's more interesting to believe in free will. Plus, quantum says you can't do determinism, magic be damned.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hell, we already know there's multiple-timelines stuff going on. Annie is from two of them!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Inglonias posted:

Determinism is so boring, though. Laplace's demon is boring and depressing. It's more interesting to believe in free will. Plus, quantum says you can't do determinism, magic be damned.

I know this is a really common view, but determinism is not incompatible with free will and personally I think “cause and effect are real and people make decisions for reasons, even if they might be flimsy ones” is a lot more satisfying than “Your actions are at the mercy of random subatomic dice rolls”

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Human behaviour might be ultimately deterministic but external and internal factors are too complex to replicate or simulate, and it feels like free will from the inside, so who cares.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

At the end of the chapter it's going to show things again from Annie's perspective. The entire time she's thinking "poo poo. poo poo." while Etheric Loup is bitching about atoms above Jerrek's body.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Inglonias posted:

It's more interesting to believe in free will.

Counterpoint; the concept of free will is boring and meaningless

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
At the end of the chapter, Annie's going to look at the viewer and say "It turns out free will is a lie, and you, yes you reading this, are just a meat machine"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I know I have free will but who knows where all you philosophical zombies came from.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've never even understood what free will is supposed to mean, like, it doesn't really make much sense as a concept to me?

And I definitely don't see how stuff being random makes free will more whatever it is than stuff being deterministic. Does free will just mean unpredictable, or...?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

GlyphGryph posted:

I've never even understood what free will is supposed to mean, like, it doesn't really make much sense as a concept to me?

And I definitely don't see how stuff being random makes free will more whatever it is than stuff being deterministic. Does free will just mean unpredictable, or...?
Free will means you're actually, genuinely making a choice and affecting reality with your actions.

Determinism means that you would've made that choice anyway, everything is predestined no matter how much you think it isn't, your brain just tells you it's you in control. Even if you tried to rage against it and do something completely unpredictable like say a random string of syllables and stab your thigh with a pencil, determinism knew that was gonna happen, you cannot escape. Some force (God, the universe, whatever) has already decided all of it for you.

Also this page feels less and less to me like it's supposed to be a trick. If she knows it's Loup, why the gently caress risk telling him about this? But on the other hand, why tell a random court robot about this at all? Her saying it is dumb as rocks in the first place, but at least one has way less potential consequences.

If this really is being played straight btw then lmao that Tony told Annie all this important stuff completely offscreen. It's not like we're in desperate need of witnessing their interactions to actually give a poo poo about their relationship and have visual evidence that Tony is trying to connect with her in some way instead of just being told, with words, "oh my god he's trying you guys he cares so much"

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Niavmai posted:

The thread has turned into too much of a hatefest and people aren't looking at the comic in the same way I think.

It is seeming like Tony might have actually told Annie about Omega, which is odd. When he pulled her out of the hole, it seemed like he was able to express joy in the moment, and if that was suggesting they had a breakthrough in their relationship, this conversation would have been a good opportunity to show that.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tiny Myers posted:

Free will means you're actually, genuinely making a choice and affecting reality with your actions.

Determinism means that you would've made that choice anyway, everything is predestined no matter how much you think it isn't, your brain just tells you it's you in control. Even if you tried to rage against it and do something completely unpredictable like say a random string of syllables and stab your thigh with a pencil, determinism knew that was gonna happen, you cannot escape. Some force (God, the universe, whatever) has already decided all of it for you.

This is backwards, actually.

Let's do a thought experiment. Let's say you're making an important decision, say, whether you quit your job or not. You think about it careful and finally, after a day of deliberation, you come to a conclusion.

Then, I use my time machine to go back in time a day. (For the sake of the thought experiment, we'll ignore the butterfly effect. The time machine is in a Faraday cage on the far side of the moon, or something)

You're now making that decision again, with the exact same information, the exact same frame of mind, everything else exactly the same as it was the first time you thought about it. Would you come to the same conclusion? I think the answer is obviously yes. I could run my time machine back a thousand times, and you would make the same decision a thousand times.

Does that mean that your decision was ~fate~? That you had no real choice in the matter? No, it was a real, genuine decision you made - but you made that decision for a reason and so long as that reason stays the same, the decision will stay the same too. Now, the part that freaks people out is that you can extend this backwards to the start of the universe, so that a (hypothetical, impossible) outside view with (hypothetical, impossible) perfect knowledge of everything could "see the future" (so long as it never interacted with anything in any way) - but that's really just another way of saying "cause and effect are real"

The alternative is the really terrifying one - if I can take my magic non-interference time machine back and you make different choices, despite being in the exact same circumstances, because invisible quantum dice in your brain rolled a different result. Maybe your actions are unpredictable, but that doesn't sound like free will.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

So Omega is a computerized Laplace's Demon?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

CYBEReris posted:

So Omega is a computerized Laplace's Demon?

Omega is probably a student, like Gamma and Zeta. I know Annie says computer here but I think she's working with incomplete information, unless Zimmy and Gamma just have those bizarre names for no reason.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

worm girl posted:

Omega is probably a student, like Gamma and Zeta. I know Annie says computer here but I think she's working with incomplete information, unless Zimmy and Gamma just have those bizarre names for no reason.

See also that Tony has work to do on the project, and he is a surgeon.

Although it's possible they just have him doing grunt work. It's hard to say whether they wanted him back to rein Annie in and just put him to work as he was there, or if they used Annie to make him come back and get back to work.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
omega is kat

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

worm girl posted:

The thread has turned into too much of a hatefest and people aren't looking at the comic in the same way I think.
please stop saying this, it's like you've never seen an actual hate thread.

worm girl posted:

It is seeming like Tony might have actually told Annie about Omega, which is odd. When he pulled her out of the hole, it seemed like he was able to express joy in the moment, and if that was suggesting they had a breakthrough in their relationship, this conversation would have been a good opportunity to show that.

this is all stuff that she already knew about omega, and nothing new (until probably the next page). it's not like she literally never spoke to her father before, that scene of him trying awkwardly to talk about his work/the weather was a specific encounter, not meant to make us think they just never speak about anything, especially work related.

my big guess is that omega is an abuse of the ether to essentially turn it into high speed broadband, combining the knowledge of all the machine-like ex-faries into effectively a single organic computer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Free will? Will is not innocent; he deserves to be punished for his crimes

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Chapter is going to end with Annie, Kat, Shell, and Juliette in a meeting talking about what they've learned about Loup, revealing that they know he's Jerrek but don't want to unmask him because the Lana/elf encounter caught them off-guard, and having him close by is better than him running off and hiding again. They'll set up a plan or something.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

GunnerJ posted:

At the end of the chapter, Annie's going to look at the viewer and say "It turns out free will is a lie, and you, yes you reading this, are just a meat machine"

I would start reading this comic again if Annie just talked to the camera every third page like the Webcomics Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ironic Twist posted:

I would start reading this comic again if Annie just talked to the camera every third page like the Webcomics Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

For a second I thought you meant there was an actual Fresh Prince webcomic.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lol, at this rate, Loup is going to investigate so hard he's going to make himself disappear in a poof of logic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ironic Twist posted:

This is a story all about how
My life got twist-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a decade to hold down the fort
And share with you the strange events at Gunnerkrigg Court

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Let's hope for Loup's sake that he stays incurious because literal nuclear science takes incoming.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
It looks like Loup is stuck in a god's version of "THIS STATEMENT IS FALSE".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Can someone remind me what his motivation is here again?