Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

If it goes bad can we call it slabjackling?

I wonder if there is any kind of precedent for what is essentially emminent domain on patent ideas for the greater good. LIke the polio vaccine or penicillin. If somebody came up with a pill that cures all types of cancer the person that invented it deserves some cash (along with the accolades of saving millions of lives) but surely the government would step in to avoid a Shkreli situation.

I think you are referring to the landmark case of LOL v. LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's mudjacking!

We’ll they jacked up the slab though. Otherwise the prior video would be called foam jacking. Which sounds like some of sort of party your parents got invited to in the 70s.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fortunately patents only last 17 years and don't go effectively perpetually like trademarks and copyright .

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Just ban patents. You invent something, it's out there, whoever can make it the best and the cheapiest and with the snazziest marketing gets to make the profit. The inventor gets to claim a royalty payment for the usage, but that's it. You can't ever bar someone from using your invention.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m surprised that that parrot didn’t try to unclip the guy.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phanatic posted:

The government can absolutely eminent domain IP.

I feel like I read somewhere about some 19th-century revolver-related patent just being so annoying to design around that President Grant stepped in personally and let people use it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

You and the patent holder half agree. He wants it to be legally required and he wants to hold the patent and make all the money.

Well, see, then he's just being greedy. Lawyers do as lawyers do, I guess.

Did you know: the reason there are no force feedback joysticks anymore is because one guy in San Jose owns a bunch of patents on it and just outright refuses to even license them out? Microsoft offered to license them back when they were making the XBox 360 and whatever he was demanding was too much for them. For Microsoft.

Fortunately they're going to expire soon. gently caress that guy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bless that guy, saves me having to disable it in every drat game. Motion blur and vibrating controllers can gently caress right off

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Why the fuckin poo poo didn't that bird just fly up there?

not sure about this bird in particular but i do know that a lot of captive parrots have their wings clipped

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Azhais posted:

Bless that guy, saves me having to disable it in every drat game. Motion blur and vibrating controllers can gently caress right off

I don't know, playing a racing sim with a wheel that has force feedback disabled can be barely playable sometimes, but a joystick is usually already self-centering and I've never played a "serious" flight sim so I have no idea how much that would add. Putting force feedback (assuming we're talking about the kind that actively moves around) on a thumbstick would be dumb though.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you never get used to rumble? The Dualshock and Rumble Pac came out 25 years ago and vibration has been on basically every system by default since the PS2. You're not the only person I've seen that dislikes it, but you're kind of rare these days.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Force feedback isn't just "your controller vibrates" these days. (Some of it is, because that's as good a way as any to get the feel of, e.g., hitting a patch of gravel, or the plane shaking around you as you fire the rotary autocannon, etc.). They had that literally in the 90s, so I'm pretty sure that stuff isn't patented anyway. (If it is it's a bogus patent that should be invalidated for prior art). The force feedback that people talk about these days is stuff like hitting a bump on one side, that pushes the tires and makes them want to turn, and that then pushes your wheel or controller stick around. Or stuff like adjusting the trim on your small plane adjusts the resting point of your flight stick, so that you trim it like a real plane by holding your attitude with the stick and then adjusting the trim until the forces go away.

I assume that guy is making absolute bank from Fanatec licensing it for their racing wheels, where having good force feedback is like the entire reason you buy a top-end wheel to begin with, and Microsoft figured that all the other uses weren't worth a comparable price to that instead of just waiting a couple of years.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jabor posted:

Force feedback isn't just "your controller vibrates" these days. (Some of it is, because that's as good a way as any to get the feel of, e.g., hitting a patch of gravel, or the plane shaking around you as you fire the rotary autocannon, etc.). They had that literally in the 90s, so I'm pretty sure that stuff isn't patented anyway. (If it is it's a bogus patent that should be invalidated for prior art). The force feedback that people talk about these days is stuff like hitting a bump on one side, that pushes the tires and makes them want to turn, and that then pushes your wheel or controller stick around. Or stuff like adjusting the trim on your small plane adjusts the resting point of your flight stick, so that you trim it like a real plane by holding your attitude with the stick and then adjusting the trim until the forces go away.

I assume that guy is making absolute bank from Fanatec licensing it for their racing wheels, where having good force feedback is like the entire reason you buy a top-end wheel to begin with, and Microsoft figured that all the other uses weren't worth a comparable price to that instead of just waiting a couple of years.

I assume for "force feedback joystick" we're talking only about those flight sticks they used to have on display at CompUSA that would move around and not racing wheels because basically every wheel that exists has force feedback and every post-dreamcast controller except the sixaxis had rumble.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PurpleXVI posted:

Just ban patents. You invent something, it's out there, whoever can make it the best and the cheapiest and with the snazziest marketing gets to make the profit. The inventor gets to claim a royalty payment for the usage, but that's it. You can't ever bar someone from using your invention.

Kind of like a mechanical licensing deal, but with the expiry time of a patent? That could work I guess.

The reason patents came around in the first place is that people would invent industrial methods and keep them secret to get an edge - which led to a lot of lost skills and wheel reinvention. Giving people a reward in exchange for proper and public documentation is not fundamentally a bad idea, it just needs way stricter policing of prior art and what counts as "non-obvious". And, yes, I agree that some sort of mandatory licensing could be useful - sort of in the spirit of the RAND licenses for patents in standards?

Still, you are back to people balancing the license income and time limit against the benefit of keeping it secret.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cat Hatter posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you never get used to rumble?

It makes my hands go numb

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Azhais posted:

poo poo, can you at least use the much less powerful type they put in joycons?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
IIRC the reason the N64 had a "rumble pak" instead of making controllers with it built in was a way to evade one of those patent trolls.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Azhais posted:

That's rumble, not force feedback. Force feedback is when you have a racing wheel and the wheel turns on its own. So this would be like having a joystick and when you go to turn the plane, the wind wants to push the ailerons back to their neutral position, so the stick would push back against you. Though that seems like it would be terrible for a gamepad. Gamepad sticks have such a small range of movement that any force feedback would be too jarring to be useful. Not to mention that the mechanics would have to be small and plastic and would instantly break from someone being too rough with it. The force feed back triggers on the PS5 controller sound real fragile.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's mudjacking!

Has anyone tried lifting a house with oxide jacking?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
can you lift a house with controller rumble

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about sink a house by using rumble to liquefy the ground?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Sagebrush posted:

Well, see, then he's just being greedy. Lawyers do as lawyers do, I guess.

Did you know: the reason there are no force feedback joysticks anymore is because one guy in San Jose owns a bunch of patents on it and just outright refuses to even license them out? Microsoft offered to license them back when they were making the XBox 360 and whatever he was demanding was too much for them. For Microsoft.

Fortunately they're going to expire soon. gently caress that guy.

loving seriously. The MS Force Feedback 2 was the best joystick I ever owned, and I blame this guy for making them a dying interface.

snaj
Oct 10, 2005
cant stop the beat
Logjammin' II: Slabjackin'

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just me and my bros jackin our slabs. Charging our jackin mud.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Where's the best place to run a strap over these long, round, hollow things? Over the top of them longways, of course!

I realize the straps are choked through the centers too, but that doesn't make it any less prone to loosening exponentially if the strap slips off to the side..

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

NoWake posted:

Where's the best place to run a strap over these long, round, hollow things? Over the top of them longways, of course!

I realize the straps are choked through the centers too, but that doesn't make it any less prone to loosening exponentially if the strap slips off to the side..

Strap failure chance * 14 * 100% because lmao I can see the straps aren’t all around the top in a loving thumbnail

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

What's this guy's logic for sitting on a patent that could make him millions?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The sawstop guy? Greed by the sounds of it. He wants alll the money and isn't willing to share.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Serephina posted:

The sawstop guy? Greed by the sounds of it. He wants alll the money and isn't willing to share.

I was actually talking about the force feedback guy.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

grittyreboot posted:

What's this guy's logic for sitting on a patent that could make him millions?

I did a bit of research, the company is “Immersion” and they’re not sitting on it, they’re licensing it for hundreds of millions of dollars a year. A 64-person company took on Microsoft, Sony, and Apple for various infractions over the years AND WON, so I think their patents are pretty solid. The original FFB patents expired in 2019, but the Nintendo Switch licensed their technology in “a multi-year agreement” so I don’t think they’re dead yet.

As a driving sim guy, the interesting thing to me is that FFB is practically ubiquitous but the flight sim peeps are in an uproar about not having any FFB HOTAS options - not sure what exact market conditions are causing that, though I expect sim wheels are more popular and mechanically simpler.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ahh Mr Savage, never change

and yes, he does melt the copper on to his finger....

AceClown fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 24, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How has he not maimed himself several times already?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Jeez, Adam. It was less than a year ago he nearly lost a finger or two from a lathe gently caress up, as far as I recall.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

By popular demand posted:

How has he not maimed himself several times already?

Actually, he has. When he takes off his clothes, he looks like that guy from The Frighteners

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Thread favorite Andrew Camarata has a video of some sketchy heavy equipment work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzZAWSmU_ZU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

old bean factory posted:

Jeez, Adam. It was less than a year ago he nearly lost a finger or two from a lathe gently caress up, as far as I recall.

Adam's "excuse" is that he's not a machinist or mechanic but a theater production guy who built things for movies and TV. He's always said that the ability to work fast and meet deadlines has been drilled into his head to the point that cutting corners is SOP for him. This isn't as huge a deal when your job is to build a model of an x-wing and paint it so that it looks good on camera, but when you're operating heavy equipment... I doubt he's capable of changing at this point. For years he's gotten poo poo from his viewers for failing to do things like wear a respirator when painting. He occasionally makes efforts to address stuff like that but I doubt it'll stick

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's dumb that they have, or had, a patent on the safety system in the first place. It's such a fundamentally good and valuable feature that it should be required in every table saw sold. The government should have said "hey, this is awesome, we're going to nationalize this patent and pay you ten million dollars up front and royalties on every table saw sold in this country in the next 20 years, but everyone is going to use it and you can't lock other companies out."

It's like if a car company had a patent on seat belts and refused to let anyone else use them.

This reminds me of how the german cast iron saw from 1887 that my buddy found in the woods and dragged home with this tractor and rebuilt, had a modern looking riving knife.

But it took sometime after 2005 I think until it was legally mandated on US built saws.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

dokmo posted:

Thread favorite Andrew Camarata has a video of some sketchy heavy equipment work.

i know we've covered why building out of shipping containers is kinda dumb but standing one on its end is sillier than usual, they don't have strength across every dimension

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
To be fair, I think in other videos he shows that container is just used to house a self supporting spiral staircase. But there's plenty of other sketchy stuff in that video, like him driving a track loader and a bulldozer simultaneously to drag that container up a hill.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah they’re not going to hold up a dozen full containers when stacked vertically, but supporting their own weight and keeping the rain out? Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
Aside from homemade boom lifts being a slow motion suicide attempt, he is welding over one of the nylon straps keeping him suspended. There are easier ways to win that Darwin award...

dokmo posted: