Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I used to play a sim in the 90s (F/A-18 Korea? Maybe?) that would let you lob a B61.

It was a ton of fun, probably because it was the only sim I played at the time that modeled a nuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

F-22 Lightning III had tac nukes too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Friends don't let friends play Novalgic :colbert:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest World of Warplanes, mostly prop aircraft and every target is a military target.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

RandomPauI posted:

I'd suggest World of Warplanes, mostly prop aircraft and every target is a military target.

Wargaming is a Belarusian company that owns a large chunk of a bank in Cyprus. If you're going to play their games avoid giving them *any* money since it's probably benefiting a laundering front for Belarus and/or Russia.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

NightGyr posted:

If you thought lofted bombing was crazy, check out over the shoulder.

I've wondered and wondered about this picture over the years, and can't come up with an explanation besides "the artist didn't understand the maneuver." If the airplane completes a loop as shown, it'll pull out at the bottom right where it started, right in the vicinity of the impact point. It makes no loving sense! Someone please correct me if they have more knowledge of this.

Here's a slightly more sensible one, where after a half-loop, the airplane does a half-roll (aka Immelman, or when combined with a descent as shown, aka half-Cuban 8) which horizontally leaves the area. But there's still the problem that the bomb release is slightly after the vertical point, so it goes backward compared to the original flight path... so as the airplane leaves the area, the bomb is still following it. Y tho?

These are the most like any textual description I've ever read, where the bomb leaves on the upward trajectory before the vertical point, at about a 45 degree angle, which is the release point where it will fly the furthest (for maximum non-self-nuclear-annihilation).

After some more looking around, it seems the "over the shoulder" method (i.e., bomb goes a bit backwards) was a method used, but note that the airplane does a half-roll and GTFO's horizontally and does not complete a loop!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Any way I think the idea is that the bomb gets enough airtime for the plane to GTFO. Flying over the target would help accuracy since the bombs horizontal track wouldn’t be as much

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

dupersaurus posted:

Any way I think the idea is that the bomb gets enough airtime for the plane to GTFO. Flying over the target would help accuracy since the bombs horizontal track wouldn’t be as much

Flying over the target could be necessary under some circumstances, I can see that. This post describes why, and though I have no idea of the poster's credentials, but it all seems to make sense.

quote:

It was the least desirable from a separation standpoint but sometimes necessary, for example when there was no readily identifiable Initial Point (IP) far enough away from the target to be usable for the low or high angle loft. The IP (a prominent geographic or manmade feature whose location relative to the target was accurately known) was where the final approach to the beginning of the pull-up began using the LABS. Prominent meant that it had to be discernible from 100 feet or less and 500 knots far enough away to get aligned with and overfly it. (And there had to be enough checkpoints on the way to it so it was likely that the pilot would be flying toward it at that point.) If there were no handy IP (e.g. if the best approach to a target on the shoreline was coming in from the sea) or the usable IPs involved flying through heavily defended or mountainous areas, then the target itself had to become the IP. The over-the-shoulder delivery was also the most accurate.

I forgot to mention that using the target as the IP also meant that you were free to approach it from the best direction for ingress (lack of en route surface to air defenses and presence of land marks, e.g. a river) and egress (hills to get behind on the way out which would shadow you from the shock wave, thermal effect, etc.).

But after releasing the bomb after flying over the target, any way I consider it, the plane can get more separation by flying away horizontally rather than completing the second half of a loop, during the whole time of which, the horizontal position essentially stays the same.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is a technique where the maneuver is timed so that the plane is vertical when it's directly over the target, and it releases the bomb at that point. The bomb basically goes straight up in the air, slows, and falls back down on the target, while the plane completes half a cuban eight and leaves at high speed and lower altitude back the way it came.

just a modified version of the LABS profile:

I suppose they could also just keep the loop going, but it's faster to just roll out, dive, and boot it back. I suspect you're right that the illustrator just didn't quite understand the maneuver. It wouldn't be the first time.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 23, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
From an anti-air defenses sense I probably wouldn't want to fly straight up over the bombing target, I think I would be providing too easy target.

But I also probably wouldn't want to fly away high right over the place I had just overflown at low level.

I think those pictures give too two-dimensional view of the maneuvers. To bomb successfully you would need to fly in a specific way, but after the bomb has been released you can do what ever you want. I would probably turn 90+ degrees to either side and then get low.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The over-the-shoulder method makes sense because all you have to do is start the pull when you overfly the target, and the computer does the rest. No need to pre-calculate your initial point or figure out where it is on the fly.

The straight up and down method makes sense because it isn't reliant on flying a specific profile or having a bombing computer. You just get over the target and point up and press the button.

Loft bombing seems like it would be super inaccurate and I guess it makes sense that it's only used with nuclear weapons (or today PGMs)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

a big consideration is probably making sure your cowboy hat fits snugly and doesn't come down and obscure your vision during the 4g pull up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

fixed :smug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They dubbed Vegas in after certain events in Dallas made it a bit dark even for Kubrick.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m also skeptical of the possibility of a good weekend in Dallas in general.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m also skeptical of the possibility of a good weekend in Dallas in general.

As you should be. It is a lovely place.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

One of those "Mobile Lounges" at Dulles struck a jersey wall. No one seriously hurt.

https://wjla.com/news/local/2-injur...erling-virginia

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 24, 2022

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I hate those things so much.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

wtf is a "Mobile Lounge?"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

slidebite posted:

A thing that makes the news if it slightly bumps a barrier, as far as I can tell.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

slidebite posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_lounge

They're redundant things now but on occasion they could offload passengers directly onto a glorified bus to take them to the terminal. Then someone realized it was really dumb to trust about a hundred people's lives to a pneumatic lift.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I had to google it. I've never had the pleasure.

Been on several buses out to the apron though. I guess it's something I missed out on flying to Reagan when went to DC. :shrug:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

A bus on a scissor jack.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

slidebite posted:

The best way ever created to get around an airport

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I mean, seriously - nothing wrong with these two massive points of failure: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/rampside-classic/rampside-classic-the-mobile-lounges-of-dulles-airport/

That YouTube video is certainly...something.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 24, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my favorite part is that all planes hold the same number of passengers so it works really well in that respect

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

I had to google it. I've never had the pleasure.

Been on several buses out to the apron though. I guess it's something I missed out on flying to Reagan when went to DC. :shrug:

No mobile lounges AND they closed gate 35X. Why even bother with Reagan now?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slidebite posted:

They're the worst goddamn thing about that shithole airport.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Salami Surgeon posted:

they closed gate 35X.
I did not know that. Rest in piss.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Was that a covid thing? Could it reopen? I don’t want to celebrate prematurely.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I think it's gone for good*. I was surprised I didn't have to go through it last time I connected through Reagan, but apparently it's been closed for almost a year. AA has a new concourse now to replace it.
*Until they need more gates again

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They built a new terminal wing with gates all over the apron where 35x planes parked so it’s dead.

Rest in piss indeed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did the planes not fit into where the gate was or something?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

35X was the “gate” for all the planes parked on the tarmac so you have to drag everything downstairs, walk to a bus and then walk to the plane.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Did the planes not fit into where the gate was or something?

It was a bus gate I believe. So crowded as poo poo while you waited to get called to get on a bus to go to your plane.

gently caress the old rear end mobile lounges. It's the worst parts of a bus but larger. And not just a bus for some reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FunOne posted:

It was a bus gate I believe. So crowded as poo poo while you waited to get called to get on a bus to go to your plane.

gently caress the old rear end mobile lounges. It's the worst parts of a bus but larger. And not just a bus for some reason.

They made a little sense when there were like 50 flights a day out of Dulles and you took the ~*MoBiLe LoUnGe*~ from the swoopy roof terminal building directly onto the plane but as soon as the concourses were built that should have been the end of them.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The mobile lounges were a product of that bygone age when you could show up for a flight like 7 minutes before it took off and just get on that bitch. See also Kansas City's airport which is the worst airport I've ever been to. When it was built in the 60s or whatever I'm sure it owned; get out of car, walk 50 feet, get on plane and leave.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Reminds me of when my Dad was trying to get home (to Zurich) from a business trip in the USSR around 1972.

The Moscow airport apparently had some kind of scheduling issue; he wound up on a bus with the rest of his flight, while the driver stopped a each plane on the ramp to ask, "You going to Helsinki?"

He travelled the world for thirty years, from DC-6s and Globemasters to DC-10s & 747s, went in & out of Kai-Tak in the 60s, and the singular worst experiences were always, always Aeroflot. Only time he ever nearly hurled on a flight..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I went through KC once before 9/11. Not quite the 60s experience of stepping out of a car and into a plane, but the closest I'll ever experience.