Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

greazeball posted:

What's wrong with earplugs?

They make my earholes sore after long enough :(

regulargonzalez posted:

They're expensive, but the Bose Sleep buds are worth every penny to me. I can't hear my partner's snoring (and she snores loud), they are very small and comfortable to sleep in, moreso than foam earplugs. Blocks / masks sound better too. I used to have to sleep in another room and they solved that.

Warm Static is the best sound for them in my experience but Cascade is a close second and better against snoring.

Thanks, I'll take a look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

They make my earholes sore after long enough :(

Thanks, I'll take a look

There are mouldable wax ones and different sizes/hardnesses too. They're made for the purpose and pretty cheap, talk to a pharmacist or go to a music(al instruments) shop and tell people what you need.

Or just go to a bar where they have shows and ask for a pair, they're free!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

greazeball posted:

Or just go to a bar where they have shows and ask for a pair, they're free!
i've never heard of this before in my life and have always brought my own

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Are "based" and "cringe" basically just zoomer versions of "win" and "fail"?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Based comes from the bay area rapper Lil B the Based God. I distinctly remember my millennial friends using it like 10 years ago when I lived in SF. It originated there and probably got picked up by zoomed much more recently.

No clue aboutnthe origin of cringe though

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cringe is like, someone is trying to be cool and failing so bad it makes you embarrassed for the person and physically cringe with embarrassment for them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've spent 15$ trying to fix this, but I do not know how, how do you get rid of the line in between the two images as your avatar?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boba Pearl posted:

I've spent 15$ trying to fix this, but I do not know how, how do you get rid of the line in between the two images as your avatar?

Make your “official” avatar a single pixel transparent PNG.

Make both halves of your “real” avatar urls in tags.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

Make your “official” avatar a single pixel transparent PNG.

Make both halves of your “real” avatar urls in tags.

Thank you!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Are "based" and "cringe" basically just zoomer versions of "win" and "fail"?

As far as I can tell playing multiplayer games with zoomers, cringe just means “yikes that’s embarrassing” and based means “be your self” or “you do you” with a positive connotation.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The answer is yes. Yes they do just mean win and fail at this point.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

dog nougat posted:

Based comes from the bay area rapper Lil B the Based God. I distinctly remember my millennial friends using it like 10 years ago when I lived in SF. It originated there and probably got picked up by zoomed much more recently.

No clue about the origin of cringe though

For more background it originally meant being addicted to freebase crack cocaine or acting like you're on it. It was then used more generally to describe someone acting weird or erratic which is how Lil B reclaimed the term as someone who is idiosyncratic but proud.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 23, 2022

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I would say 'based' tracks more closely to 'epic' in contemporary vernacular usage. Cringe is pretty clearly derived from people acting cringy (i.e. in ways that make you cringe to witness, experience secondhand embarrassment, etc).

If drinking alcohol never actually seems to have an impact on my mental state and just makes me flushed and sore all over, that probably qualifies as an intolerance, right? I don't think I have any negative reactions to skin contact with alcohol and I don't break out in hives, so I don't want to seem like I'm overstating the effects. But I'd like a shorthand to explain why I have literally no desire to drink ever.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Everett False posted:

I would say 'based' tracks more closely to 'epic' in contemporary vernacular usage. Cringe is pretty clearly derived from people acting cringy (i.e. in ways that make you cringe to witness, experience secondhand embarrassment, etc).

If drinking alcohol never actually seems to have an impact on my mental state and just makes me flushed and sore all over, that probably qualifies as an intolerance, right? I don't think I have any negative reactions to skin contact with alcohol and I don't break out in hives, so I don't want to seem like I'm overstating the effects. But I'd like a shorthand to explain why I have literally no desire to drink ever.

My father had similar reactions to alcohol and his doctor diagnosed him with “idiopathic intolerance to alcohol” where “idiopathic” is the fancy doctor word for “we haven’t the foggiest idea why this is happening.”

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
That reaction is uncommon but not unheard of. If I were you I'd just tell people I "have an allergy or something, it just makes me sore and sick rather than drunk". You could say intolerance, which would probably be more accurate, but that word has other associations that might make people confused.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Everett False posted:

But I'd like a shorthand to explain why I have literally no desire to drink ever.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

That reaction is uncommon but not unheard of. If I were you I'd just tell people I "have an allergy or something, it just makes me sore and sick rather than drunk". You could say intolerance, which would probably be more accurate, but that word has other associations that might make people confused.

imo its hosed up that social pressure makes this a thing. just say "i dont drink" and leave it at that. people who aren't assholes will accept it

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I had a friend back in college who had the same issue and he just said, "I'm allergic to alcohol" which was the easiest way he found to talk about it, because he got tired of having the same conversation over and over and over ("you're just talking about being drunk! LOL!")

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Earwicker posted:

imo its hosed up that social pressure makes this a thing. just say "i dont drink" and leave it at that. people who aren't assholes will accept it

This is how I do it. I just tell people that I don't drink because I don't want to drink. Anybody who gets lovely about it can gently caress off.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Seriously. "You don't drink? What a loser!" people are bigger losers than the worst alcoholics who ever alcoholed.

E: And I say that as someone who believes that never even trying drugs is like never trying sex.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Can just say it gives you indigestion, its not uncommon to get heartburn from alcohol and some folks get it worse than others.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Oh yeah, ideally I could just end it at 'nah, I don't care for it'. But for some reason there is always at least one older woman in earshot who becomes convinced that I've finally decided to allow tenants in my uterus and I'm just being cagey about it. 'I've got an intolerance, dunno why, it's idiopathic I guess' seems like it would bypass any Secret Fetus conversations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Secret Fetus was the worst of Marvel heroes

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
"It just makes me sleepy" is another good one.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I have a lot of experience with this as a recovering alcoholic.

In my experience, all of the above are reasons your can give. Probably the only one missing is something about not being able to drink while on medication you are taking. Here's the thing: 99% of people are not going to even blink or give it a second thought if you pass on an alcoholic drink or get something non-alcoholic when everyone else is.

There is always that 1% though, who are either busy bodies or hidden/not so hidden alcoholics that keep pressing. Starting to give reasons or go down some conversation about why will not shut them up, no matter what. They are going to keep pushing and come up with more questions or reasons why you could "just have one".

Don't even engage or open the door. "I don't drink." "I'm not interested in discussing it" or just keep repeating "I don't drink" over and over. This is the best and easiest way to shut them down, because it is going to highlight how obnoxious and pushy they are being.

I guess as a guy I've never dealt with the whole "are you pregnant" wink wink stuff, but it's that kind of person really going to believe you if you say no you aren't, or are they just going to keep pushing and asking more questions? I feel like the sooner you definitively shut the conversation down, the better.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh, yeah my female friends get this all the time since they are in late 20's/30's. I'm not sure if there's any way to stop it. They just have work the next day or a cold or whatever.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I can't drink because of my medications and for me the worst is when you're with a group of people who are or want to drink and when you decline they feel guilty and sometimes decide not to drink either and I HATE that. Makes me feel like a burden.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What do you call a speech impediment but for sign language? Like if they only had 3 fingers, or parkinsons or something? On a scale of 1 to 8 how many fingers minimum do you need to effectively use sign language. I assume Thumbs are mandatory.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

"My <insert loved ones here> were killed by a drunk driver and it turned me off alcohol for life" is a great way to shut up a busybody. Go nuclear if they want to push poo poo.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Boba Pearl posted:

What do you call a speech impediment but for sign language? Like if they only had 3 fingers, or parkinsons or something? On a scale of 1 to 8 how many fingers minimum do you need to effectively use sign language. I assume Thumbs are mandatory.

My college roommate had a deaf friend we would hang out with occasionally when we'd go to Vermont to hunt. He went to a college for deaf people, so he'd bring friends back to their hometown occasionally as well. He taught me some very basic sign language that I've mostly forgotten.

I cut some fingers off back when I was 14. They mostly put my hand back together. I'm missing half the index finger on my left hand, with limited motion in the rest of the hand. When I tried to introduce myself to his cute friend, she started laughing and signed to my buddy, who started cracking up.

She looked me dead in the eye and told me I had a lisp.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
As of about two or three days ago, my PC has been acting up. Specifically, everything takes a very long time to load, though once it does load, it functions normally. Like, if I try to go to Facebook using Chrome, it will just hang out looking for Facebook for like ten, sometimes fifteen seconds before suddenly finding it. Once Facebook loads, everything runs normal, fast response time. This happens with several, but not all webpages. But also, loading a film on Netflix. Takes forever to start streaming now, though once it does start it's perfect quality and I can pause it, move around the timeline just as normal. Computer games are doing the same thing, taking forever to load, though once in-game it runs normal, loads areas or whatever at normal speed. What could be causing this? I haven't installed anything onto this thing in ages. I've ran AVG and Malwarebytes but it says my system is clean.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

credburn posted:

As of about two or three days ago, my PC has been acting up. Specifically, everything takes a very long time to load, though once it does load, it functions normally. Like, if I try to go to Facebook using Chrome, it will just hang out looking for Facebook for like ten, sometimes fifteen seconds before suddenly finding it. Once Facebook loads, everything runs normal, fast response time. This happens with several, but not all webpages. But also, loading a film on Netflix. Takes forever to start streaming now, though once it does start it's perfect quality and I can pause it, move around the timeline just as normal. Computer games are doing the same thing, taking forever to load, though once in-game it runs normal, loads areas or whatever at normal speed. What could be causing this? I haven't installed anything onto this thing in ages. I've ran AVG and Malwarebytes but it says my system is clean.

You're gonna think I'm messing with you but can you disable your anti-virus software and see if that fixes the issue? Because I kid you not we're having this very problem at work and a recent update to our mandated anti-virus software was the root cause.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Search for CMD

In right panel of search results, Run as Administrator

In black window that appears, type: sfc /scannow , and press enter

Wait for scan to complete

Type: chkdsk c: /f /r , and press enter. Press Y to the question that appears

Restart computer and come back in 30 minutes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

regulargonzalez posted:

Search for CMD

In right panel of search results, Run as Administrator

In black window that appears, type: sfc /scannow , and press enter

Wait for scan to complete

Type: chkdsk c: /f /r , and press enter. Press Y to the question that appears

Restart computer and come back in 30 minutes

Oh wow, that did it! I don't even know what it found or what since I set it going and then went to get a haircut, but when I came back, things are back to how they were before. Thank you!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

Oh wow, that did it! I don't even know what it found or what since I set it going and then went to get a haircut, but when I came back, things are back to how they were before. Thank you!

It was probably the reboot, it's always the reboot

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you were in full plate armor and had a dagger and a buckler, do you think you could beat a chimpanzee in a fight?

Do you think you'd have to have a gun to win, or is there some melee weapon you'd consider adequate?

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 24, 2022

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
A chimpanzee would have very little chance against a human who is trained and strong enough to use plate armour even if they didn't have a dagger.

I am not a human who knows how to wear and move in plate armour and i expect that I would fall over and and not be able to stand up, and the chimpanzee would walk away after getting bored of throwing feces at me or whatever.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

A chimpanzee would have very little chance against a human who is trained and strong enough to use plate armour even if they didn't have a dagger.

I am not a human who knows how to wear and move in plate armour and i expect that I would fall over and and not be able to stand up, and the chimpanzee would walk away after getting bored of throwing feces at me or whatever.

What is the least amount of armor you'd be down to have going into the chimpanzee fight? (Friday Night Chimpageddon.)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I am not a human who knows how to wear and move in plate armour and i expect that I would fall over and and not be able to stand up, and the chimpanzee would walk away after getting bored of throwing feces at me eating my face and genitals or whatever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Despite how modern media portrays it, plate armor really doesn't take too much strength or fitness to wear. It's fairly light and designed to evenly distribute weight all around your body. An average person can run around and do jumping jacks and all that good stuff in a full suit of medieval plate. It's probably easier to run around in plate armor than to do it with a backpack full of school textbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Despite how modern media portrays it, plate armor really doesn't take too much strength or fitness to wear. It's fairly light and designed to evenly distribute weight all around your body. An average person can run around and do jumping jacks and all that good stuff in a full suit of medieval plate. It's probably easier to run around in plate armor than to do it with a backpack full of school textbooks.

Huh, well I can't say I've ever worn it or seen it outside of a museum.

I'm pretty sure full plate armour comes with a helmet and dick protection, even if it was too heavy to move around very well I'm sure you could offer enough resistance to defend yourself on the ground.

Boba Pearl posted:

What is the least amount of armor you'd be down to have going into the chimpanzee fight? (Friday Night Chimpageddon.)

I would want the kind of armour you see in cartoons at a women's self defense class, or like a full suit of leather armour if we're talking old timey stuff, one that has a helmet and face mask. I'd be worried about scratches and grabs more than any kind of strike or anything. Assuming I have a dagger and I'm not being taken by surprise it would probably be fine, but anything smaller than that or unarmed I would not be happy to get into that fight.

This is all assuming that the chimpanzee has full killing intent and that it wouldn't just run away after I put up enough resistance to make it feel threatened.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 25, 2022