Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Three-phase was a self-ban not a mod ban, I don't think they can free him unless he wants to come back

'I miss him.

So many fun posts in the bitcoin thread a decade ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ups_rail posted:

'I miss him.

So many fun posts in the bitcoin thread a decade ago

Pour out a 40 for the industrial electricity thread, what a frequently terrifying gem

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That was around a decade ago? drat does time fly

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SyNack Sassimov posted:

He always seemed like a decent poster, is this where I find out he was a sex pest or into children or whatever other usual horrific thing is revealed about SA posters?

Fuuuuuuuuck.

He was a good dude.

:(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Saint Freak posted:

My wife is at Home Depot with the kid and texted me this. Someone is definitely going to buy and attempt this.

You're married to John Wilson?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MrYenko posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck.

He was a good dude.

:(

Uh you missed the question in my post - so far no one has come forward to reveal anything untoward about him. Sounds like he simply decided this bunch of disrespectful ignorant ingrates wasn't worthy of his time.

Which, y'know, we probably weren't.

Aren't.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Saint Freak posted:

My wife is at Home Depot with the kid and texted me this. Someone is definitely going to buy and attempt this.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Getting strong "It's a major award!" vibes here, Al.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not exactly sure where to post this, so just let me know.

The landlord's basement are unfinished basically the walls are rock and cement.

I'd like to set up some actual walls, you know to hang stuff off the walls, like shelves?

How should I best accomplish this?

The floor is also just raw gravel, which makes it a bit of a pain to walk on, and also you know, put things on the ground in a level form.

When I asked about putting down some cement over the gravel, I was shot down with "well the moisture in the basement next to the cement will cause the wood to rot" they have a dehumidifier running all the time with a pump to outside to auto eject the water. Now, I used to do Masonry and that kind of sounds like bulshit but I don't know?

How do you guys think I should proceed?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Uh you missed the question in my post - so far no one has come forward to reveal anything untoward about him. Sounds like he simply decided this bunch of disrespectful ignorant ingrates wasn't worthy of his time.

Which, y'know, we probably weren't.

Aren't.

I hope two things.

A: That we never learn anything horrible about Three-Phase

And

B: That he didn’t get disintegrated in an arc-flash accident.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not exactly sure where to post this, so just let me know.

The landlord's basement are unfinished basically the walls are rock and cement.

I'd like to set up some actual walls, you know to hang stuff off the walls, like shelves?

How should I best accomplish this?

The floor is also just raw gravel, which makes it a bit of a pain to walk on, and also you know, put things on the ground in a level form.

When I asked about putting down some cement over the gravel, I was shot down with "well the moisture in the basement next to the cement will cause the wood to rot" they have a dehumidifier running all the time with a pump to outside to auto eject the water. Now, I used to do Masonry and that kind of sounds like bulshit but I don't know?

How do you guys think I should proceed?

Don't give your landlord free labor or materials

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sentient Data posted:

This and also if they’re lovely enough to rent a building with a wet dirt and gravel basement extra don’t do anything they can blame you for moisture problems with.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

the yeti posted:

This and also if they’re lovely enough to rent a building with a wet dirt and gravel basement extra don’t do anything they can blame you for moisture problems with.

It doesn’t sound like they are advertising this as finished space. Sounds like a crawl space with a higher ceiling.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you just need storage I would buy standalone shelving units that you can take with you wherever you go, however, everything you store there is going to be subject to that climate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I did a dumb thing.

While running a new run of 3/4" PVC irrigation in my backyard a few days ago, I knocked over my newly opened can of blue PVC glue into the trench, and it landed perfectly upside down. About 3/4 of it spilled out as I tried to recover it, leaving a puddle of smurf blood in the bottom of the trench. I went along my merry way, finished gluing the connections, did a leak test, and then covered it up.

When the sprinkler timer turned on yesterday, I found a 4 inch diameter hole about 2 feet deep full of mud and water. I dig it up and find a tiny leak right where the blue glue puddle was. When I reburied the pipe, the pipe made contact with the standing half-cured puddle of glue, which corroded the pipe and made a hole that burst under high pressure. Thinking back it makes a lot of sense that would happen, but my exhausted sunburnt brain just thought "whoops, I hope I have enough glue to finish today's project, and that is the only problem I will ever have"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

No, I'd charge her for it. She's a little old lady I'm basically paying dirt cheap rent for my side of the house, and she sometimes chips $$ off the rent ($600 for like 400sqft duplex?) for shoveling the driveway or upgrading the apartment. Hand her the receipt and she pays me back or forwards me the money ahead of time

The Dave posted:

If you just need storage I would buy standalone shelving units that you can take with you wherever you go, however, everything you store there is going to be subject to that climate.

I want to hang tools on the walls and stuff. It's about a 6' high basement or so, part of the basement is above ground though.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 22, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The FERGUSON!!!

BA-WOOOOSH!!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to hang tools on the walls and stuff. It's about a 6' high basement or so, part of the basement is above ground though.

Put some cinder blocks down to keep it from touching the floor directly, attach a wooden rack thingy to the floorceiling so it doesn't fall over. It's not gonna be perfect.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

peanut posted:

Put some cinder blocks down to keep it from touching the floor directly, attach a wooden rack thingy to the floorceiling so it doesn't fall over. It's not gonna be perfect.

the who the what now?

I just put some flat plywood down on the floor, rubber hammer that poo poo till it seems level and then put some plastic shelves up but it's still fuckin janky

I'd rather just move all the shelves, set up some 2x4s in the shape of the cement floor I want, get a long level and flatten that poo poo out. Then, IDK, put up some 2x4s to the ceiling to the floor, then put some holey board thing whatever it's called to hang tools on.

So, things I didn't know, concrete shouldn't get in touch with the wood because the concrete even when "dry" will cause moisture in the wood. Insane. I guess I could probably just avoid it by adding some rubber stripping between the wood areas and the cement?

Apparently, stone does the same.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Make sure to keep a copy of all your posts for when the person who buys the property from her takes you to court. There's a tiny difference between shoveling a driveway and permanently affecting the living structure

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Build freestanding shelves and make sure that everything in contact with the ground is rated for ground contact.

And just in general don't have wood touching dirt at all ever unless you want to add repairing structural termite damage to the mold remediation bill you're going to get after you get sued when you disregard that advice and build walls anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Make sure to keep a copy of all your posts for when the person who buys the property from her takes you to court. There's a tiny difference between shoveling a driveway and permanently affecting the living structure

I suppose that's a possibility, but it's a very small one. We don't have a termite problem best I can tell, though maybe a humidity since the house is near a river and she runs a dehumidifier 24/7 in the basement.

Anyway why would they sue anyone when the person buying the house should be responsible for checking it out? Pay an inspector or something if you're worried 😅

Anyway, it's all moot since the original question wasn't answered: how would you add actual walls and floor to something like this? In a "meets code" way

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

don't have a termite problem YET

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

don't have a termite problem YET

:hmmyes:

Anyway, I can see this is turning into a goon in the well situation and I'm not sure I want to promote homegrown in the crappy construction thread, so let's get back to posting other people's moisture traps instead.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyway, it's all moot since the original question wasn't answered: how would you add actual walls and floor to something like this? In a "meets code" way

Basement excavation, perimeter drain + sump pit(s), stone, concrete. Then on to the ceiling: relocate utilities to ensure they are not in the way of any proposed walls. Sole gasket, sole plate (pressure treated), build a wall on top of that. Ensure you are using galvanized fasteners to go from the wall to sole plate. Now you still need to finish the walls with something, probably blueboard. And the ceiling.

All of these thing require different permits and inspections all the way through the process. They will also require correct sizes of egress and need to not interfere with existing mechanical systems or those systems will need to be located, i.e. the electrical panel must have appropriate clearance.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 23, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
eh you guys are being kinda harsh.

Its not like they want to make a ugly bathroom

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ups_rail posted:

Somehow, it's worse.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

Basement excavation, perimeter drain + sump pit(s), stone, concrete. Then on to the ceiling: relocate utilities to ensure they are not in the way of any proposed walls. Sole gasket, sole plate (pressure treated), build a wall on top of that. Ensure you are using galvanized fasteners to go from the wall to sole plate. Now you still need to finish the walls with something, probably blueboard. And the ceiling.

All of these thing require different permits and inspections all the way through the process. They will also require correct sizes of egress and need to not interfere with existing mechanical systems or those systems will need to be located, i.e. the electrical panel must have appropriate clearance.

Thank you for that information, though that sounds like excessive amount of work for just wanting walls and a floor in a corner of the basement.

Ups_rail posted:

eh you guys are being kinda harsh.

Yeah I wouldn't do anything involved without going through the landlord and whomever they'd be paying to do the work, I'm mostly theorycrafting to get what I want

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 23, 2022

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Well you're the one who said the magic "meets code" phrase.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

Well you're the one who said the magic "meets code" phrase.

Yeah, so I could get an idea of what it'd take to offer to the landlord to do it myself, but now that the information was provided that there's licenses to have then, no, I'm not bothering to get myself in that mess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Thank you for that information, though that sounds like excessive amount of work for just wanting walls and a floor in a corner of the basement.

Turns out that doing things to code and/or in a way that makes them safe and serviceable and not causing damage to the rest of the structure actually takes time, materials and skills.

The only part of what I mentioned that exceeds code is the blueboard. You can use regular sheet rock (save yourself a whole $4/sheet) but it's likely to rot inside of a few years where the blueboard will not.

"Excessive" is a matter of "is this worth it for the utility I get out of it." You'll notice that most old basements are not finished or partially finished because doing it even close to properly typically ends up with that question being answered with a "no." In a new build where a finished basement is planned for it's relatively trivial to have all of the nasty parts done during construction. Going back in to do it later is a whole different thing. And typically suboptimal at that. If you really wanted to go all the way on this one of the many things that should be done is exterior excavation all the way around the house down to the footings to put in drain tile (tied into a internal sump pit), exterior walls sealed and drain board installed. This is again a really easy and relatively cheap thing to do when you're initially building the basement because it's already excavated. Doing it later sucks because you're digging against walls, you have sidewalks, decks and landscaping in the way, you have buried utilities in the way, etc.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 23, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

corgski posted:

:hmmyes:

Anyway, I can see this is turning into a goon in the well situation and I'm not sure I want to promote homegrown in the crappy construction thread, so let's get back to posting other people's moisture traps instead.

Can we still piss in the damp basement though?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

D34THROW posted:

That's between you and Jesus.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

D34THROW posted:

Always piss in the sump hole works every time :pisstape:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Putting down flooring over the top of dirt and gravel seems like it defeats the point of having a murder basement in the first place

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

canyoneer posted:

Putting down flooring over the top of dirt and gravel seems like it defeats the point of having a murder basement in the first place
I'm gonna reword his original question so it makes more sense for you.

"How would I go about pouring a bit of concrete over a recently dug shallow... Hole?"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just dig a new foundation and slide the house over.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, so I could get an idea of what it'd take to offer to the landlord to do it myself, but now that the information was provided that there's licenses to have then, no, I'm not bothering to get myself in that mess.

you already have a mess to fix anyways with your plywood directly on gravel. google "vapor barrier"

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I believe the proper way to half-rear end it is to throw wonderboard over the gravel instead of plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bad post, pay no attention.