Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Radiapathy posted:

It's really weird how CME are doing this. The fact that they're copying Behringer's copy of the Arturia Keystep, and not the original Keystep is part of their marketing. The product page even has "inspired-by-behringer" in the URL: https://www.cme-pro.com/introduces-swidi-inspired-by-behringer/

Just... why? Isn't the Keystep the more well-known of the two controllers? This just seems like some really bizarre industrial trolling, and I don't see how CME benefits. I mean, sure, we're all talking about it now- but it has negatively affected my opinion of CME.

if they copy Behringer and single out their behavior as “inspiration” for their clone then CME get kudos for sticking it to Ul-i Coyote et al.

if they copy the KeyStep and call it a copy of the KeyStep then all they’re doing is giving an endorsement of what Behringer did to Arturia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

Brings to mind all the knockoff brands you'll find if you browse ebay or whatever. There are a number of brands that you'll never see mentioned in forums like this one but are marketing pretty widely, and it's fairly rare that one of them gets any respect. And in most cases that's probably deserved, too. Coming up the hard way.

Look at this. I think midiplus is one of the companies possibly making their way like that. I recognize them as the maker of a popular USB-MIDI adapter on ebay.

yeah, but also to come in from the guitar/bass world: weird knockoff guitars are cool and I’m glad that they have cachet and cool-factor now, largely as a result of the decades’ worth of dirt poor artists who used them to make great work.

the contemporary guitar industry and market would be much, much poorer if IP holders had won out at various points in history.

gently caress Gibson. gently caress Fender. especially gently caress Gibson. gently caress both companies’ long history of anti-competitive, anti-consumer practices. Sand the logo off your headstock and draw something obscene there instead.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

As for negatively affecting your opinion of CME, why? They’re ratfucking the ratfucker, good on them.
It just seems like a long way to go to troll another company, and they're doing it in a way that completely overshadows their actual added value/innovation with the wireless connectivity.

Also, CME used to have some good and unique products, and it's disappointing to see them go the "market follower" route.

As for Behringer, my feelings are complicated. I have zero problem with people doing reproductions of hardware that's no longer being produced, but so closely copying products that are still being actively manufactured and sold does suck. But I am a little hypocritical for saying that considering I've bought 2 of Behringer's rip-off DIs and one of their rip-off cable testers. :shepicide:

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 23, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, but also to come in from the guitar/bass world: weird knockoff guitars are cool and I’m glad that they have cachet and cool-factor now, largely as a result of the decades’ worth of dirt poor artists who used them to make great work.

the contemporary guitar industry and market would be much, much poorer if IP holders had won out at various points in history.

gently caress Gibson. gently caress Fender. especially gently caress Gibson. gently caress both companies’ long history of anti-competitive, anti-consumer practices. Sand the logo off your headstock and draw something obscene there instead.

I exclusively buy squiers lol

Edit I really want the yamaha guitar tho it looks real nice

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 23, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I exclusively buy squiers lol

Edit I really want the yamaha guitar tho it looks real nice

Squier=Fender on a budget, tho

what you want is a GLARRY

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Squier=Fender on a budget, tho

what you want is a GLARRY

okay but does glarry make a jaguar or other offset guitar?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

inferis posted:

okay but does glarry make a jaguar or other offset guitar?

Glarry will make whatever you want him to, babe :wink:

Serious answer: I can’t find one for sale but Google tells me that they exist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get all my guitars from krappy.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wish my weird knockoff guitars had cachet and cool factor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

I wish my weird knockoff guitars had cachet and cool factor.

they prolly do

post them shits in the guitar thread

or here I guess, but put synth stuff in the pic too

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
make the guitar and the synthesizer kiss

tip to tip

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Or your eurorack. This is a pretty blatant sponsored vid but dang he got some good sounds feeding a guitar through those modules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZrUMskPew0

The sound through the data bender (@8:26) is so glorious. And the ruina. :allears:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

Or your eurorack. This is a pretty blatant sponsored vid but dang he got some good sounds feeding a guitar through those modules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZrUMskPew0

The sound through the data bender (@8:26) is so glorious. And the ruina. :allears:

is that a Battles sample he’s running through there (or a band that sounds a lot like Battles)? I’m not sure I understand what’s going on

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ok Comboomer posted:

is that a Battles sample he’s running through there (or a band that sounds a lot like Battles)? I’m not sure I understand what’s going on

i don’t think it’s a battle sample as much as it is just a similar process to what battles does

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the beginning of the video he describes it as a vst guitar coming from his DAW.. because he's so bad at real guitar he got annoyed and gave up.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

lol thats a little less exciting

I'm going after something similar right now and am torn between setting up a dedicated rack with a bunch of utility stuff and just using a MS-20 mini

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

they prolly do

post them shits in the guitar thread

or here I guess, but put synth stuff in the pic too

I'll put a few in the guitar thread sometime soon, my local thrift store seems to get large lots of guitars and I've bought a few. I just picked up a nice looking Synsonics, LOL.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Im sure you all have heard of this mad bastard, but he went and built a diy synth out of those old music mags...
Look Mum No Computer
Pro follow for sure.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

saw that guy live a couple years back and hung out with him a bit afterwards. got a signed tape for free because of how far id traveled so he’s really cool in my book

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

saw that guy live a couple years back and hung out with him a bit afterwards. got a signed tape for free because of how far id traveled so he’s really cool in my book

Yeah, I consider him sort of a kindred spirit, albeit a more successful one. I would so love to work in a museum like he has. I may wind up building his homemade synth project sometime, I am really glad he's doing it, he is doing a great job of making these things accessible to everyone.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
His Furby synth is always going to be my favorite build of his, its so good and weird.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Look Mum is one of those dudes whom you'd swear would be an insufferable jerk at first glance but is the exact opposite. Bless him.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Seems like voltage on the dx7 chassis might be normal, the ground is coupled to live and neutral. Can only draw 180uA through it so I don't think it's dangerous

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

brand engager posted:

Seems like voltage on the dx7 chassis might be normal, the ground is coupled to live and neutral. Can only draw 180uA through it so I don't think it's dangerous

LOL

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

brand engager posted:

LOL

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

The CME controller is only a Behringer knockoff, not a knockoff of a knockoff of the Arturia Keystep. Behringer redesigned the layout (and added a few features) of their controller after backlash, and CME is directly copying the revision. I will never say WIDI though, it's WiMi to me.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
make them kiss 3 times just to be sure they really mean it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

oh poo poo is that a behringer guitar

how dare you

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

how dare you

$15 at Goodwill, that's how. It was utterly filthy when I bought it though and it needs new pots. Most of these need some work but are all doable. Most of the synths do not except those Rolands, whose keys are worn out, it appears.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

kidfresca posted:

I will never say WIDI though, it's WiMi to me.

Plus WiDi is already a pre-existing wireless technology. (I worked on it!) CME just fuckin up right and left.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

how dare you

Lmao I thought the guitar/synth fuckpile was the worst thing about this image but I stand corrected

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/hReWJwH8J0c

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

field balm posted:

Lmao I thought the guitar/synth fuckpile was the worst thing about this image but I stand corrected

And what is it that you dislike so much about my guitar/synth fuckpile?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In this house, there will be no fuckpiles until marriage.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

And what is it that you dislike so much about my guitar/synth fuckpile?
They said to make them kiss. You deliver photos of some depraved instrumental swinger party.

I laughed.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Man I love my Wavestate, its so fun to gently caress aroubd with. I was gonna add it to an existing song Im working on, but the noise from my CPU is really bad. Im thinking I may just get a portastudio to use as an external recorder, also it would serve as a mixer too.
Ahhh studio setup whack-a-mole, my favorite game!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

DreadUnknown posted:

Man I love my Wavestate, its so fun to gently caress aroubd with. I was gonna add it to an existing song Im working on, but the noise from my CPU is really bad.

Why are you not using the line inputs? How can the noise be bad unless you play through some amp which you then record with a mic, or am I missing something?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ill try that, see if it fixes things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Staying the weekend in Asheville, NC. Gonna go check out Moog and the Moogseum.

And leave my wallet with a friend.