Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

blatman posted:

just buy more t cells with ur stimulus money

t-mobile top up plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

How much could a hospital bill cost?
1400 dollars?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

"But this time it's different!" I screech as my lungs liquefy and my brain shrinks to the size of a walnut

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“It’s not 2020 again!”

none of things that would separate this from 2020 exist

“Ah, well, nevertheless.”

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its kind of funny that it would be safer for me personally to fly on an airplane if they got rid of mask mandates because that would (presumably) open up the possibility of wearing a secure click.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Its kind of funny that it would be safer for me personally to fly on an airplane if they got rid of mask mandates because that would (presumably) open up the possibility of wearing a secure click.

They're going to ban them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Salt Fish posted:

It’s not like there’s anything in the mandate banning valves now.

They’re just dicks. The guy beside you can take off the mask to eat all the pretzels he wants on a two‐hours flight, but if you show me a valve, I am turning this plane around right now!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
pretty sure full rear end respirators are a no go on airplanes because people think youre gonna do a huge fart cloud attack and neutralize the crew

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stump collector posted:

pretty sure full rear end respirators are a no go on airplanes because people think youre gonna do a huge fart cloud attack and neutralize the crew

Which is why it’s totally fine to carry them on, just not wear them. :thunk:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we can't care about the wave until it's gotten worse than any other wave before it in every possible metric, and by then it will be past the peak and we can drop restrictions.

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Thanks for the links. Quoting to save for later.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i'm really excited for everyone else to get long covid or die of covid because that means the entire world will be accommodating to covid mush brains like mine and i won't have to feel so slow or bad any more

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Platystemon posted:

“It’s not 2020 again!”

It’s totally different than 2020, nobody’s even worried about it, that’s how cool it is now. Between vaccinated immunity and natural immunity and near perfect immunity gained from breakthrough infections, you’re no more likely to catch covid than a member of the the rich and well connected political class.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

empty whippet box posted:

we can't care about the wave until it's gotten worse than any other wave before it in every possible metric, and by then it will be past the peak and we can drop restrictions.

They stop declaring before it’s peaked.

The second derivative of daily cases is decreasing, you see.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

and raise risk levels again

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Which is why it’s totally fine to carry them on, just not wear them. :thunk:

im never going to say anything the government or tsa does makes any loving sense, i just feel thats how they arrived at the conclusion

anecdotally, my friend boarding a plane and said the only guy with a real mask on (half or full respirator in 2020) was hassled by security at a time most or many people were maskless and they made him put on a lovely surgical

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol the chuds will be marching against mandates in the Trump 2024

it won't matter that there won't be any mandates, this was never about real issues for them

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
We need more localized risk metrics. If you are not personally in a hospital, you are low risk and need to act like it.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Furious posted:

So your conclusion that depletion of t cells is not a concern is based on poor assumptions about their behavior and thus possibly inaccurate.

if they can get depleted

and you can get reinfected every 6 weeks (gently caress me I never guessed it would be that short)

won’t consecutive rounds of omicron just gently caress up your weakening immune system harder and harder?

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Dr. Furious posted:

So your conclusion that depletion of t cells is not a concern is based on poor assumptions about their behavior and thus possibly inaccurate.

Nah, and stop comparing COVID to airborn AIDS until there's proof. It's embarrassing for a lot of reasons.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Fly Molo posted:

if they can get depleted

and you can get reinfected every 6 weeks (gently caress me I never guessed it would be that short)

won’t consecutive rounds of omicron just gently caress up your weakening immune system harder and harder?

T-cells are only part of people's immune system, but getting it back-to-back like that is hard on people. If you're old enough maybe your t-cells really will be depleted from the last infection. Low t-cell counts during infection can be an indication you're gonna die of COVID https://journals.lww.com/bls/fullte...normal%20range.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

Nah, and stop comparing COVID to airborn AIDS until there's proof. It's embarrassing for a lot of reasons.

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1478407141014781958

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/11/211124172159.htm

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/covid-19-autoantibodies.html

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kE9UUX7NV5Q

:can:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-cells are only part of people's immune system, but getting it back-to-back like that is hard on people. If you're old enough maybe your t-cells really will be depleted from the last infection. Low t-cell counts during infection can be an indication you're gonna die of COVID https://journals.lww.com/bls/fullte...normal%20range.

seems bad op

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Is Thomas still in the hospital with not COVID?

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
Some types of t cells do not easily regenerate beyond adolescence.

There is recently published evidence that covid is directly infecting t cells through a yet unknown mechanism.

Inflammation via cytokine storm is a major driver of death in the acute phase.

We do not fully understand the interactions happening here, nor the long term consequences or developments of said interactions. To flippantly disregard the potential for immune system damage is both premature and dangerously optimistic.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the autoimmune parts of this get me the most upset about our loving administration

there's zero cost to compelling annual update of the loving vaccines. it's right there on the table, in reach.

fine, drop mask mandates. let 'er rip through schools. at least give sane people a loving chance to get an mrna jab that remotely resembles the dominant clade.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Autoimmune disorders are more like lupus than AIDS. Call it airborne lupus if you want to be dramatic. You're still pumping out new t-cells to replace the ones that get destroyed if you have an autoimmune disorder.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Autoimmune and immunodeficiency are different words that mean different things, surprising but true.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
singapore gonna drop masks for outdoors next week, wheeee

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cool. NYC has been at the front of almost every wave so that isn’t ominous or anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thoguh posted:

Is Thomas still in the hospital with not COVID?

Good question.

High court won’t say whether Thomas remains hospitalized

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Autoimmune and immunodeficiency are different words that mean different things, surprising but true.

can't wait for the autoasphyxiation variant

wait, that's Delta

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

COVID? Word? looks like I'll continue wearing a half mask since I never stopped

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So now that we are letting professionals work with moderate to severe acquired brain damage, what field do we think will be the first to have some sort of high profile incident? Like will it be some prominent person doing a Chris Benoit because COVID turned their brain into cheese? Or will it be a pilot crashing their plane, or a surgeon blanking out and forgetting what they were supposed to be doing while operating? Because letting lots of professionals contract a neuroinvasive disease that causes brain damage in about one-fourth of those it infects, if the Dutch data is taken as representative, without requiring them to re-certify themselves seems like a recipe for Big Fun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So now that we are letting professionals work with moderate to severe acquired brain damage, what field do we think will be the first to have some sort of high profile incident? Like will it be some prominent person doing a Chris Benoit because COVID turned their brain into cheese? Or will it be a pilot crashing their plane, or a surgeon blanking out and forgetting what they were supposed to be doing while operating? Because letting lots of professionals contract a neuroinvasive disease that causes brain damage in about one-fourth of those it infects, if the Dutch data is taken as representative, without requiring them to re-certify themselves seems like a recipe for Big Fun.

put me down for "COVID-brained airline pilot crash"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah I think pilots top the list. There are just so many factors working against them.

We can’t discount air traffic controllers. There’s a reason they must retire at age fifty‐six.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Platystemon posted:

“It’s not 2020 again!”

Nonsense. 2020 was better, and I mean like even early 2020 before we started having masking and hand-washing. In January 2020 I think most Americans would have said that if there was a deadly disease that caused brain damage and killed people that they would probably do whatever they could to avoid catching that disease.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I was promised the technician would wear an N95 during my hour-long imaging procedure, but I had to walk out because the hospital refused to honor the promise and told me "we are following CDC guidelines". And my town only has one hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Crane accident