Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I'm a completionist. I've been searching high and low. Sniffing out each area in my own time. I've returned to places I had been to 40 hours earlier that just didn't sit right with me and discovered I missed a cave.
Twice now I've seen streamers in the beginning areas find something I've missed by just bumbling around.

This fuckin game. Amazing.

Meanwhile I'll play a bit of Horizon and the developer's are terrified I'll miss a random box of junk behind a wall and slap a million icons on a compass for me. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

War Wizard posted:

I'm a completionist. I've been searching high and low. Sniffing out each area in my own time. I've returned to places I had been to 40 hours earlier that just didn't sit right with me and discovered I missed a cave.
Twice now I've seen streamers in the beginning areas find something I've missed by just bumbling around.

This fuckin game. Amazing.

Meanwhile I'll play a bit of Horizon and the developer's are terrified I'll miss a random box of junk behind a wall and slap a million icons on a compass for me. :rolleyes:

Are the Horizon icons still the exact same faint purple as the hud overlay itself?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
It sucks that now if you want to help other players you have such a high chance to have you or your host wrecked by someone completely kitted out for pvp. If they’re willing to make such sweeping balance changes hopefully they’ll make invasions truly optional.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Pvp owns there is so much overpowered poo poo a host gets. You get a real live friend to help, plus random blue summons. You can summon 2 people even. The invader is at a disadvantage imo.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Strike is great early on but seems to matter less as your weapon tier gets deeper into the double digits. It's still good for enemies that hard-resist slash/stab like the crystal shitlords, but the advantage isn't as huge as the first time you fight a miner.

Mehrunes posted:

It sucks that now if you want to help other players you have such a high chance to have you or your host wrecked by someone completely kitted out for pvp. If they’re willing to make such sweeping balance changes hopefully they’ll make invasions truly optional.

Lol yeah I saw some of that when I was helping out a friend. Obnoxious bleed/greatshield combos and ashes <LV20 players wouldn't have many options to deal with. Fortunately, I still had all my poo poo, so I gave them a taste of their own medicine. :twisted:

I'm more annoyed that you can just explore the open world with your friends. Arbitrary fog gates pop up everywhere; if you want to go into a dungeon or cross a bridge, you have to middle finger out, warp to the nearest bonfire, and get summoned back in to cross an imaginary line.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

vandalism posted:

Pvp owns there is so much overpowered poo poo a host gets. You get a real live friend to help, plus random blue summons. You can summon 2 people even. The invader is at a disadvantage imo.

I don't summon people. I put my summon sign down to help people get through pve dungeons and bosses and I'm outfitted for that. Twinking out characters is so easy that invaders add absolutely nothing of value to the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mehrunes posted:

:negative: they've already neutered invasions so much compared to what it used to be

asymmetrical pvp done in what is normally a pve environment, where you enter someone else's game and become one of the obstacles for the host to overcome is such a unique thing that essentially doesn't exist at all outside of these games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

That's kind of what the garment altering mechanic is. You trade weight for stats. It's too bad there are so few pieces that can be altered, and that most of them are just adding or removing a cape.

Everyone knows capes weigh 1 kilo and give you 3 poise irl

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I feel like there is a lot of (very valid) criticism of this game but I still think this is my favorite game, by far, in at least 5 years

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Invasions suck in this game with how much poo poo they’ve stacked against the invader even compared to before. You need to spec hard for PvP to stand a chance at getting anything done

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RevolverDivider posted:

Invasions suck in this game with how much poo poo they’ve stacked against the invader even compared to before. You need to spec hard for PvP to stand a chance at getting anything done
this was also true in ds3, it just goes even farther here. it's honestly a big part of why invaders are so consistently kitted out the way they are, if they're not they just get squashed because being 1v2/3 is a huge disadvantage

your more casual players without a build with some sort of crazy damage gimmick get filtered out

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

asymmetrical pvp done in what is normally a pve environment, where you enter someone else's game and become one of the obstacles for the host to overcome is such a unique thing that essentially doesn't exist at all outside of these games.

That's one possible outcome, but it seems far from the norm which just means the system fails everyone in the end.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GloomMouse posted:

i did everything in the game as a themed STR-build (barbarian/primitive looking gear only) and it was a blast. furs or rags, no magic or miracles, druid-y summons like wolves. powerstanced great omenkiller cleavers (standard damage w/ innate bleed) with frost AoW were my weapons of choice for most of the game. jellyfish or dragonclaw shield rarely, and metal weapons allowed but only the stuff that looked really rough. the one piece of "high tech" was the ballista bc i wanted it. finally a "crossed bow" not built for babies. normally i'd do colossal weapons but they are really slow and the damage isn't worth it imo but you do you. just pick a theme that allows you to engage with all the game systems bc it was clearly designed that you use what's available

I got up to about 40 str then realized I don’t really love the movesets of anything slower than a curved great sword (which I still absolutely love btw even if I eventually switched to Katana)

I feel like the Radahn swords are cool but it’s incredibly specific what you can and can’t do with them.

There are a lot of colossal weapons with extremely cool weapon arts (ruins and the giant death laser, the big stick that mimics the tree avatars, Radahn’s whole thing) but the actual movesets felt a bit shallow to me. Definitely lots of jumps

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mehrunes posted:

Honestly I wish they'd just add a third one of those rings; a red one. Make it so it turns off invasions, period. Then they can go back and add in dark souls 2 style invasions where you can be invaded even in single player, at any time. Runed up or not. Everyone would be happy then. People who don't want to be invaded can turn them off forever, until they want to be invaded/invade while people who are annoyed at how invasion is constantly a gang fight fest will start fighting single players who are cool about the whole thing. Then the tongue can serve the optional usage of just allowing you to turn your world into a hell pit phantom free for all.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does anything unlock in the game (dungeons, maps, etc.) after beating the last boss or is it just ng+?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

:negative: they've already neutered invasions so much compared to what it used to be

yeah but if you're kitted for PVP and the other players aren't, even with numbers, it's pretty trivial to kill them, especially with how easy it is to heal. The skills for fighting monsters and fighting players are totally different.

Also it doesn't exist in other games because no one would put up with it, lol. For better or for worse, Souls has the cultural cache to get away with some bullshit.

Honestly I wish there was a Bell Covenant equivalent where people can just gently caress around a bit. Or go the DS3 route and make scenarios where there's 5+ phantoms fighting a 2-3 way with monsters running around. Chaos is fun, and evens out the playing field a bit. The PVP scene is so tryhard right now that like half of the invaders I see pop up will black crystal or pull their ethernet or something when they realize they can't win.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

I think the game is probably on the lower end of Souls, the combat just sucks a lot of the time compared to Bloodborne and DS3 and doesn't reach their highs.

Yes the exploration and world are great but I don't give a single poo poo about any of that compared to melee combat with good bosses. Yeah this game is better then Nioh 2 in everything besides combat but the combat is so much better in Nioh 2 that I still vastly prefer it

Most enemies in the game seem to exist to either waste your time, be ignored, or piss you off yeah. I think the worm pukers might tick all three boxes. Also horse combat is complete garbage and every dragon or night cavalry plays out in the same boring identical fashion since the caelid crack birds are seemingly the only things capable of keeping up with you on horseback

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Radahn swords were such a disappointment. "i will wear the armor. I will be the guy! ...oh. nvm" still lots of fun big weapons though (and his armor does look rad af)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I mean, the only way that you get invaded is if you have multiplayer turned on and you have summoned someone or have used the taunter's tongue. So unless you decided to do a masochist run, you already have a 2v1 set up in your favour. So either team up and kill them, or spend one of the infinite furled fingers that you get and get back to where you were.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

Most enemies in the game seem to exist to either waste your time, be ignored, or piss you off yeah. I think the worm pukers might tick all three boxes. Also horse combat is complete garbage and every dragon or night cavalry plays out in the same boring identical fashion since the caelid crack birds are seemingly the only things capable of keeping up with you on horseback

i think the death birds might be the worst offender for awful optional field bosses. i dislike them even more than the gross tree spirit worms or w/e. like yeah they aren't the most difficult things but good lord the camera can't handle them at all. from needs to steal MonHun camera tech or something

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah, horse is cool but the horse fighting is pretty whatever. Still, I wish phantoms were allowed to mount up. I get why they're not (it'd be janky af), but the game is already janky af so why not go nuts with it. So much of the multiplayer is restrictive, between areas arbitrarily fog gated and being unable to use spirits when there's other people around.

It'd probably break the engine or something if every host/phantom was able to summon spirits, lol. But I'd still like to see it. Pokemon gang wars.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you usually fight stuff unlocked in monhun, which is also usually the smart thing to do with big stuff in this

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RevolverDivider posted:

God everything since crossing into the mountaintops has been awful. My +25 Greatsword and 50 STR felt loving anemic against enemies in the Haligtree and Mohg felt absurdly beefy for how much damage I feel like I should be putting out. I’ve been doing better damage it feels like since respeccing to use Godslayer Greatsword and Godskin Stitcher but it’s absurd how stupid bloated numbers feel like they’ve gotten.

My Greatsword was barely scratching a Magma Wyrm but an octopus that got aggro’d into the fight mauled it to death in under thirty seconds

I haven't tried with a Greatsword yet but 55+ Strength on a Heavy affinity Greatsword with something like Giant Hunt or Sword Dance should do plenty of damage to things. Especially if you have the +15% weapon art talisman.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

berenzen posted:

I mean, the only way that you get invaded is if you have multiplayer turned on and you have summoned someone or have used the taunter's tongue. So unless you decided to do a masochist run, you already have a 2v1 set up in your favour. So either team up and kill them, or spend one of the infinite furled fingers that you get and get back to where you were.

I'll let the peasants know they need to git gud and carry a full suite of pvp skills at all times, guv'nah.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

The colossal swords' crouch stab is usually the most important move in their kit. It recovers faster than staggered enemies it hits, it comes out fast, it tracks targets and can hit disturbingly high. If something gets staggered by its damage you can usually repeat it until they die or poise break.

Also thanks to whoever mentioned that fire/lightning affinity weapons actually get double their listed scaling. C affinity weapons with those return about as much damage as A. Can't enchant weapons with those affinities but they're pretty good.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

pretty sure dismounting does if you're not moving.

I can't find the video, and it may have been changed in one of the patches, but I've seen someone standing still just mound and dismount while a giant swings through them. You get like a full second of iframes for each.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm gonna laugh if they decide to nerf mount/dismount so that getting hit during the animation automatically knocks you prone

it'll suck but it'll also be kinda funny

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I feel like there is a lot of (very valid) criticism of this game but I still think this is my favorite game, by far, in at least 5 years

The game being so good overall is what makes people talk about these things, I think. Like imagine the hell dimension timeline where Elden Ring comes out and just kinda sucks. Nobody would be writing 900-page forum threads discussing its strengths and flaws, they would just not play the game and not talk about it. There are a ton of games out there that would kill to have the kind of flaws Elden Ring has if they could also have its gorgeous core.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
What a battle that was, using mostly parries and no summons and just learning and learning and finally beating it. I think I need to play an easy game for the rest of the night.

smug pedant
Feb 15, 2020

by sebmojo
anyone up and available to help me stomp malenia? ive spent the last three hours smashing my head against her and neither mimic tear nor summons have gotten me close :sigh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The evolution of the PvP meta post 1.03 is really funny. Rivers of Blood and dual wield Katanas/Naginatas with Seppuku ran rampant immediately after the patch. A few days ago people started loading up on poise and rocking Fingerprint Shield and a poking weapon to trade/stagger bleed players so all their damage comes from bleed while you're just jabbing them with Madness or Rot or whatever. Yesterday people figured out that a maximum poise build with Dragonbolt Blessing (1h attacks bounce off like you're hitting a rock monster) with Moonveil allows you to run up to shield users and just trade big Magic hits for their pokes.

And of course the general posting public has been complaining about every one of these builds as cancer etc. even though builds are literally in flux over the course of a week.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Mehrunes posted:

I'll let the peasants know they need to git gud and carry a full suite of pvp skills at all times, guv'nah.

Pvp invasions are the balancing factor of the fact that you obviate the difficulty of a zone by getting to summon people to help you clear. So get good at clearing solo or get good at pvp invasions if you decide to opt into the totally optional multiplayer experience. You're complaining about getting invaded, but it's a completely 100% optional experience. If you don't like pvp invasions you can complete the game without ever getting invaded, you just have to summon people for only the boss fight.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 24, 2022

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I just tried to help some randos on Malenia it's a lot harder it seems since lag is kind of a factor, my parries weren't really registering. It seems like it's a personal battle now.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

berenzen posted:

If you don't like pvp invasions you can complete the game without ever getting invaded, you just have summon people for only the boss fight.

Oh though you had actually played the game, I'm sorry for my ignorant assumptions.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I beat the game without ever getting invaded except by the npc invaders. Were you running around with the tainter's tongue on?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Mehrunes posted:

Oh though you had actually played the game, I'm sorry for my ignorant assumptions.

you sound like a huge fuckwit, I bet you're great at souls games

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Summoned plenty of people for bosses and never once got invaded

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CYBEReris posted:

the big thing to understand about invasions in these games is you're not really supposed to win. you certainly CAN win, you can get skilled enough to kill hosts reliably even, but the intent of the design has always been that you're effectively playing an antagonistic role in a play, you present an obstacle to be overcome that has the distinction of having human intelligence as if they were controlled by a dungeon master.

embrace your role and have some fun with it. it's really fun playing villain, being tricksy and putting a master plan together!

Yeah, I love doing this poo poo in invasions! I really don't care that much about winning. But going into almost exclusively 2v1 and 3v1s spamming bleed and filling the screen with spells who will just stand there waiting for me for five minutes doesn't make for lots of fun shenanigans. He best I can hope for is to mimic veil and hope that catching them off guard allows me to get to play for at least a brief moment lol

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Did you normally go for 1 or 2 summons?

e: in my experience the invasion usually comes while the host is summoning a 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I'm currently obsessed with invading the Malenia grace and trying to hoarah stomp people before they fight so if you're ever there maybe we'll get to say hi