Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

I went through all that space with the cards from the core set, Dunwich, 5 investigator decks, and two stand-alone scenarios because I sleeved it all up. Probably more space than you really need if you're not going to sleeve the cards.

I generally do sleeve my cards, but what I'm trying to say is I have the core set (revised, so 2? core sets) and now the dunwich expansions + investigators. I can see myself currently filling up the Revised Core box and that leaves me with an empty storage box.

If I get any other expansions, the same issue will happen. I'm kind of torn because it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation I think

edit: Are the investigator starter decks worth it? Seems like they give you characters that aren't in any current cycle?

edit2: Jim Culver from Dunwich looks really great

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I generally do sleeve my cards, but what I'm trying to say is I have the core set (revised, so 2? core sets) and now the dunwich expansions + investigators. I can see myself currently filling up the Revised Core box and that leaves me with an empty storage box.

If I get any other expansions, the same issue will happen. I'm kind of torn because it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation I think

edit: Are the investigator starter decks worth it? Seems like they give you characters that aren't in any current cycle?

I think, fully sleeved, you'll use up a lot of your storage space like I have, specially if you purchase the extra investigators and any stand-alone scenarios. I wanna say there's enough cards per expansion to fill at least 3/4 of the storage when sleeved, so maybe we end up with a fully empty box in a year or two, but not every time.

I've seen a lot of people recommend the five investigator decks, so I went ahead and picked them up. Haven't played with them yet, though.

E:

I can see myself picking up a custom storage solution down the line where I can store everything in one large box.

E2:

Missed that you also had a Revised box to mess around with.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 20, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I found EotE to have the easiest first scenario, mostly because of the partners. Minh can have a tough time with enemies though with her 2 punch and 2 agility, so I can definitely see her getting stuck on an enemy and dying in the first scenario. Leo can be practically unkillable from the start with all his soak from allies.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's a lot of storage, drat. The Return To boxes are the perfect size, enough for all the encounter cards sleeved with room for core encounter cards. I keep the latter in a separate box, but the extra room is nice.

Jim Culver is the worst mystic. Not that he's unplayable, but he's outshined in every way by everyone else. The Mystic starter deck is a big reason why he's outclassed actually; Jacqueline does a much better job at flattening the odds of the chaos bag.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jim’s problem is that he has bad signature cards. His trumpet not only takes up a hand slot but it activates basically at random. His weakness can be mitigated by running a lot of curses and blesses but there’s not much he can do that other people can’t, except run a really effective Winchester.

The signature replacement pack, available on the TTS workshop, replaces his instrument with Polyphonic, which lets you to draw a bunch of tokens and treat matches as being skulls. (That makes him excellent at cards that want you to draw symbol tokens, which many mystic cards do.)

He has the advantage of coming directly after Agnes, a character most people play directly into insanity.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Yeah Jim is just not great at anything to the point where he is the worst Mystic and just a very poor investigator in general. He's got the Dunwich flexible deckbuilding going for him and that's about it. More then his cards I think the problem is his statline.

Mystics *really* want 5 willpower and the ones that don't are automatically suspect.

Marie makes up for it by having 4 intellect which is actually useful for something plus getting extra actions.
Luke makes up for it with great movement/enemy management that you get to start the game with.
Lily makes up for it by actually being a Guardian using combat instead.
Diana makes up for it by secretly actually having high willpower.
Father Mateo tries to make up for it by starting with XP and having an insane elder sign ability. Probably not worth it though.
Jim tries to make up for it by having flexible deckbuilding and having mediocre intellect and combat and manipulating the chaos bag to have an average to above average chance at success at every test even when you are not much over the test. But that means you're still basically flipping a coin which can cost you a lot of actions and possibly charges etc. It's just not good.

Maybe if you play him in a group that goes deep on the chaos bag manipulation? Maybe?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, if you’re playing the odds. Path to Carcosa has three skulls in it, so your trumpet may clear seven or 8 horror if you play at early in this scenario.

Five cross class cards is a lot though, having two luckys and two Faustian bargains in your back pocket is clutch. And he could also bring contraband, which no one else but Dexter or Sefina can help you out with, and they already have plenty of their own things to play. Book of psalms and keep faith (and even token of Faith) let him be a pseudo sister Mary but with full mystic card access.

(I may’ve have said it before but Zoey and her ability to “You owe me one!” spells make her remarkably flexible for a guardian.)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
They've been giving Jim a lot more tools lately as well. Nkosi Mabati and Curse of Aeons are both able to substantially increase the number of skull tokens you see in a scenario.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Zoey is my favorite from Dunwich. A Guardian that has money? Leo can do that too with Rogue access, but Zoey can rake in cash while still devoting her entire deck to fighty cards.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm kind of bummed that there isn't enough cards to make some pre-built starting decks with these characters without having to dip into others shares of cards, but I assume that'll get better as it goes along

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That’s why each of the core box investigators is dual class. And why the individual hero packs are so good.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

I found EotE to have the easiest first scenario, mostly because of the partners. Minh can have a tough time with enemies though with her 2 punch and 2 agility, so I can definitely see her getting stuck on an enemy and dying in the first scenario. Leo can be practically unkillable from the start with all his soak from allies.

Yeah I think I'm going to chalk it up as a vanishingly rare "all the Ancient Evils at once in 4player Essex County Express" sort of situation and just keep powering on. It's just that with the campaign guide making a specific point about keeping your partners alive, losing 2 in the first scenario feels bad even with the fail forward design. Cheers for the responses.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You’re gonna lose some partners. There are pluses and minuses to that happening.
I’m super confused that we got an ancient evil drop in 2021. I houserule as “place a doom or draw two encounter cards that can’t surge”. Otherwise you basically have to take a Mystic.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Ok I picked up the revised core set and played through NotZ on easy as Wendy and Roland. This game is so much fun. The first two scenarios went well - I was able to kill the Ghoul Priest in the first scenario and got 4/6 cultists in the second. I got absolutely demolished in the third scenario though, I got buried in enemies faster than Roland could shoot his way through them. I remember hearing that that scenario is designed to be really hard to get players used to losing, is that right? And any tips on it for the future? It seems like even killing one more cultist in Midnight Masks would have made a pretty huge difference.

And thanks for the suggestion to follow the upgrading/deckbuilding rules during the campaign, it felt super rewarding watching the characters grow in strength.

I’m thinking of picking up Dunwich Legacy next, but is there anything I can do to mix up the scenarios in the main box before that? Can I swap around the modular encounter sets in the scenarios like you can in Marvel Champions?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Jimmeeee posted:

Ok I picked up the revised core set and played through NotZ on easy as Wendy and Roland. This game is so much fun. The first two scenarios went well - I was able to kill the Ghoul Priest in the first scenario and got 4/6 cultists in the second. I got absolutely demolished in the third scenario though, I got buried in enemies faster than Roland could shoot his way through them. I remember hearing that that scenario is designed to be really hard to get players used to losing, is that right? And any tips on it for the future? It seems like even killing one more cultist in Midnight Masks would have made a pretty huge difference.

And thanks for the suggestion to follow the upgrading/deckbuilding rules during the campaign, it felt super rewarding watching the characters grow in strength.

I’m thinking of picking up Dunwich Legacy next, but is there anything I can do to mix up the scenarios in the main box before that? Can I swap around the modular encounter sets in the scenarios like you can in Marvel Champions?

There are boxes called “Return To [campaign name]” that do exactly this, but I don’t know how much it actually mixes up Night of the Zealot as much as it was kind of a “patch,” given that NOTZ is their first campaign and also the first Return To set. I think they got more ambitious going forward.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jimmeeee posted:

4/6 on Midnight Masks is really good, that's what I hope for when I play.

There isn't any mixing up of scenarios to do, officially. Most of the variety in the game comes from investigator deckbuilding, with a smaller amount from what order things come up in the encounter deck. You can get the Return To set or one of the standalone scenarios and insert it into the campaign (Murder at the Excelsior Hotel is great and you can pretend you escaped your house and stayed in a hotel before hunting cultists in the city and oh no it's haunted) but all that costs more money that's better put towards real campaigns.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

That’s great to know, thanks for the heads up. Is there another investigator duo in the core set that synergize as well as Wendy and Roland do?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Daisy in Skids can you put on good work, I’m not sure what the core box weapons are but you can certainly get clues. And with encyclopedia giving him a boost skids can probably kill anything on east.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Definitely recommend picking up Dunwich in the new release format next. After that probably Edge of the Earth since it is in the new release format.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hrm, I'm not sure if it's just bad luck but Wendy and Roland wiped in the first act of devourer below. That boss is way too hard, and clearly meant to not be fought but run away from. Plus if you do get into act 2 he becomes a 7/7? Lmao there's no chance of running away or fighting from that, the stats on the other 3/3 monsters are already hard enough.

I have to be missing something, this seems absurd.

Edit: I meant wendy

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 21, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There is another way to defeat him. It’s not nice though

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

There is another way to defeat him. It’s not nice though

That assumes that I Burned my house down, which I didnt

Anyway, I think I'll shelve zealot for now and go with dunwich. I've merged and sorted all my player cards accordingly and am planning on starting over. What would be two investigators for 2h solo play that are good with those cards?

I probably won't buy EotE until I've played dunwich at least five times, that way I can keep myself from spending money on more "dlc" that I won't end up without time to play :sweatdrop:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That assumes that I Burned my house down, which I didnt

Anyway, I think I'll shelve zealot for now and go with dunwich. I've merged and sorted all my player cards accordingly and am planning on starting over. What would be two investigators for 2h solo play that are good with those cards?

I probably won't buy EotE until I've played dunwich at least five times, that way I can keep myself from spending money on more "dlc" that I won't end up without time to play :sweatdrop:

Daisy and Agnes get big boosts from Dunwich player cards. Daisy is suddenly more mobile with Shortcut and Pathfinder, and can do burst damage with "I've Got a Plan!" and Strange Solution. Agnes gets Peter Sylvestre, a horror soaking, agility-boosting ally that heals his sanity every turn, and also boosts willpower when upgraded.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
It really seems that you're just meant to lose Act 3 of NOTZ, the only time I could scrape a combat win was when I was hitting with Cyclopean Hammer at +11

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Jaded arkham lcg veterans going back into NOTZ act 3 with the cyclopean hammer and a few other broken cards:
(audio's probably nsfw, I've got the sound off here and the title says uncensored)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re playing with Agnes, remember her ability triggers when you put sanity harm on yourself, not cards you control.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Similarly: does Steadfast factor in asset health/sanity, or no?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

If you’re playing with Agnes, remember her ability triggers when you put sanity harm on yourself, not cards you control.

Can you split the damage? Like if you're gonna take 2 sanity harm, can you assign one to Agnes and the other to an ally?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Batterypowered7 posted:

Can you split the damage? Like if you're gonna take 2 sanity harm, can you assign one to Agnes and the other to an ally?

Yes.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Similarly: does Steadfast factor in asset health/sanity, or no?

Only the total Health and Sanity on your Investigator.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I may have been making it harder for myself

I see the encounter deck is 4 cards for the House Always Wins for dunwich, and go "cycling two cards per round? This seems stupid..." then I noticed it wants me to shuffle the encounter sets with same icon together in addition to what comes with that release, assumes that you have those packs....

I think this means that some scenarios may get easier or harder with more available cards that get put in the encounter deck...

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah each scenario has a setup guide for the encounter sets it wants you to assemble, usually like 5 or 6, then it tells you to set aside some specific cards (usually assets the players get later on or big enemies that can get added when something happens) and then it tells you to shuffle all the encounter cards assembled together to make the encounter deck.

Not sure which format you've got Dunwich in, either the big box with everything or the older format where it was one box that had investigators and the two scenarios and then 6 smaller packs with a scenario each. If it's the latter then each scenario pack will include the encounter cards only for that scenario and then ask you to add encounter sets from the deluxe expansion (Dunwich Legacy) using their symbols + stuff from the base set like Rats or ancient evils so just keep an eye on what sets you need. That would definitely mess up the balance of a scenario if you don't have them all in cause some encounter cards are definitely intended to be relatively easy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It is not possible to have The House Always Wins and a core set and not have all the other required encounter cards if you bought from an official FFG release.

With all respect but it sounds like you are thoroughly confused about what you are meant to do to play the game. I recommend reading the manual.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Quick question y'all. I've got a revised core, and someone gave me a single copy of the old core set. What cards or components of the old core are worth saving? Or the otherway, what can I trash from that old core?

If I'm understanding things correctly, keep all the investigator cards unless I have a combined total of more than 8 of them (2 max per deck for 4 max players), bin all the mythos cards in favor of the new Night of the Zealot versions, and keep all the tokens except the chaos bag ones.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Slyphic posted:

Quick question y'all. I've got a revised core, and someone gave me a single copy of the old core set. What cards or components of the old core are worth saving? Or the otherway, what can I trash from that old core?

If I'm understanding things correctly, keep all the investigator cards unless I have a combined total of more than 8 of them (2 max per deck for 4 max players), bin all the mythos cards in favor of the new Night of the Zealot versions, and keep all the tokens except the chaos bag ones.

If you're likely to ever have multiple campaigns on the go at once in the future, keeping the core set encounter sets could be worth it to minimise the amount of swapping them in and out you'd have to do between sessions of the campaigns, they're the only ones that'll get used in the expansions that aren't included in said expansions. Otherwise feel free to toss them or see if someone else wants them for exactly that reason I guess.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

It is not possible to have The House Always Wins and a core set and not have all the other required encounter cards if you bought from an official FFG release.

With all respect but it sounds like you are thoroughly confused about what you are meant to do to play the game. I recommend reading the manual.

That was from reading the manual, but, I missed that part, and find the content itself rather confusing, and the manual is kind of a lot. I've since watched some videos, especially videos where it's like "so and so comes out of the encounter deck, they have xyz stats, you do this, then that, and then do this." that's more of the handholding I need from instructions because otherwise I'll just use my best judgment if I can't find out, or Google

Walkthrough gameplay videos are always helpful

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I recommend the Arkham Cards app to run your campaigns. It'll tell you step by step how to set up the scenario, including which encounter sets to grab, which cards to set aside (that may be put into play or shuffled in later), and a diagram of the location setup. Nothing the official paper doesn't have, but it's a lot more convenient. Plus you can keep track of experience earned and little things you might have to remember without having to write them down.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I recommend the Arkham Cards app to run your campaigns. It'll tell you step by step how to set up the scenario, including which encounter sets to grab, which cards to set aside (that may be put into play or shuffled in later), and a diagram of the location setup. Nothing the official paper doesn't have, but it's a lot more convenient. Plus you can keep track of experience earned and little things you might have to remember without having to write them down.

Indeed, I got that setup now and sync'd to arkhamdb too

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re not protecting/casing your tokens, having back ups can be useful. Where and tear is real.

And beware if you’re buying $$$ capsules, the Innsmouth conspiracy will need 20 new capsules.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Slyphic posted:

. . .what can I trash from that old core?

I wouldn’t trash anything, really. Maybe the Act/Agenda cards, but I’ve found uses for just about everything else from my extra core:

-All other campaigns use at least some of the core set Mythos cards, so having an extra set to pack with them is handy

-If you ever get Forgotten Age, the third scenario uses location cards from Midnight Masks and it’s way easier to just have a second set to keep with it instead of having to dig them out.

-Ditto for the first scenario of The Circle Undone and the Arkham Woods locations

-The printing on the chaos tokens tends to wear off with use, so a replacement set is handy if you’re not using coin capsules or something to protect them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

For real though, use coin capsules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What are some good coin capsules to use?