Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

SirPhoebos posted:

The oWoD supplement on Holocaust ghosts is a perfect example.

That's legit a great book. And has a side bar that's basically "if you think these NPCs have unrealistic stats then we kindly invite you to read up on these figures from the Warsaw Uprising and what they accomplished."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

More discussion starting here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/16107501733/permalink/10158183532566734/

Statement from the Tekumel foundation.

It has also been revealed that Barker was on the editorial board of Journal of Historical Review, a Holocaust denial journal.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 21, 2022

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SimonChris posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/16107501733/permalink/10158183532566734/

Statement from the Tekumel foundation.

It has also been revealed that barker was on the editorial board of Journal of Historical Review, a Holocaust denial journal.

WELP

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

One thing that I've noticed about publishers is that the more obviously fraught a subject is, the better and more considerate the writing turns out even if the rest of their line has a bunch of :catstare: moments (assuming the writer isn't a full-on chud). The oWoD supplement on Holocaust ghosts is a perfect example. Another great example can be found with the 2nd edition of the the Warhammer Fantasy RPG.

There was a supplement for that RPG on Bretonnia, a land with rigidly codified rules for class and gender. And the book goes out of it's way to explain that if a player doesn't want to deal with that, they don't have to, they have full permission to be the special exception or not have it come up at all. And even if a player wants navigating a society that doesn't accept them to be part of their story, the book makes it clear that for all of Bretonnia's rules, it's relatively easy for an adventurer to take on a role that society says they shouldn't ('if someone is dressed as a knight, then clearly they are a knight!'). Overall it's very well thought out and goes out of its way to make sure that nothing the players aren't comfortable dealing with in their game gets tossed about just because "it's part of the setting".

Meanwhile, the default polity the game is set in (the unimaginatively named "Empire") the topic of gender is "yeah some roles have pre-assumed gender preferences but men and women can have any occupation". And it seems that some of the writers took that as a green light to insert IRL misogamy into the game without any sort of warning or sidebar that perhaps this isn't cool with everyone at the table.

In Warhammer any society that didn't have both genders doing everything possible would be crushed by everyone else doing their own full court press anyway.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

In Warhammer any society that didn't have both genders doing everything possible would be crushed by everyone else doing their own full court press anyway.

Chaos is an equal opportunity employer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sure but the overtime demands are actual torture.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If only there was some hip new religious movement fighting for equal opportunity and fairer labour practices.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
If only it was sweeping the mines and factories of a hive near you.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
If only they had sweet bikes.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If only they had sweet bikes.

What makes you think they don't?

All will be equal in their excess under the touch of Slaanesh and his prophet known as the Doomrider. :colbert:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 22, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
ok fine, critical support to our cocaine comrade

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Elissimpark posted:

Chaos is an equal opportunity employer.

Are they? I can't recall any old world stories of female Chaos figures.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Comstar posted:

Are they? I can't recall any old world stories of female Chaos figures.
Isn't Khorne's greatest mortal champion a woman?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Isn't Khorne's greatest mortal champion a woman?

Yes, Valkia the Bloody.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes, Valkia the Bloody.

She's a daemon princeess. That's like explicitly not mortal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

She's a daemon princeess. That's like explicitly not mortal.

Yes, but you have to start as a mortal to become a landed daemon.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Eventually a daemon lord, no matter how favored, is going to mess up and get demoted to mindless chaos spawn. Or they'll be so amazing they keep getting heaped with favors from their patron until oops, chaos spawn.

Either way its a chaos spawn in the end

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yes, but you have to start as a mortal to become a landed daemon.

There's also Dechala the Denied One, a High Elf princess who is the head of a Slaaneshi warband. Also, while it probably doesn't count, as part of the End Times, Isabella von Carstein is killed and resurrected by Nurgle. She then is possessed by a daemon, becomes a Champion of Nurgle and joins Archaon. It's very....confused.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nix Panicus posted:

Eventually a daemon lord, no matter how favored, is going to mess up and get demoted to mindless chaos spawn. Or they'll be so amazing they keep getting heaped with favors from their patron until oops, chaos spawn.

Honestly, chaos spawn is probably better than most retirement options these days.

Epicurius posted:

There's also Dechala the Denied One, a High Elf princess who is the head of a Slaaneshi warband. Also, while it probably doesn't count, as part of the End Times, Isabella von Carstein is killed and resurrected by Nurgle. She then is possessed by a daemon, becomes a Champion of Nurgle and joins Archaon. It's very....confused.

We'd like to ask you about this two hundred year gap in your resume...

<sharp intake of breath>

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nix Panicus posted:

Actually, no. You see demon princes/princesses reach a point where they have transcended mortality and become something more like the God's and can't actually be changed by them beyond a certain point. They stay in that "shape" forever. Its why Bel'akor, the first demon prince, is reduced to being a shadow instead of being a pile of roiling organs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nix Panicus posted:

That is not how it works no.

Chaos Spawn is what happens when you’re either overly, neglectfully favored or intentionally damned as a mortal. It is a botched initiation into daemonhood.

If you’ve reached the point of being a Daemon Prince you’re not capable of becoming a Spawn, because you already successfully became a daemon with full command of your faculties and powers. There’s nothing left to botch.

Even Be’lakor, World’s Least Favored Daemon Prince, isn’t and can’t be a Spawn.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Hey so you know Fabled Lands, a cool series of open-world gamebooks? By the guy who wrote Heart of Ice, which I thought was the best gamebook ever written?

https://fabledlands.blogspot.com/2022/03/was-professor-m-r-barker-nazi.html

"I’m a bit less ready to cast the first stone. Also, I don’t believe it. This novel wasn't a dark secret kept hidden from public view. Professor Barker openly mentioned Serpent’s Walk to me in our correspondence in the 1980s, and I have seen the letter he sent about it to a British publisher at the time:"

Yeah gently caress youuuuu

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Some have discovered that Professor Barker may have been listed on the editorial advisory board of The Journal of Historical Review, a Holocaust-denying magazine. A screenshot of the contents page of one issue in the early '90s (when he was actively trying to sell the novel) lists a “Phillip Barker, Ph.D”. Was that the Professor? It might well have been, but let’s not conclude that he’s more evil than Sauron just yet. I was a consulting editor on White Dwarf in the ‘80s – that doesn’t mean I agreed with their editorial or commercial policies.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
just a prank

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
More to the point, if “Phillip Barker” submitted a letter or article to back up the credentials of “Randolph D Calverhall” (the author of Serpent’s Walk) that’s very likely just part of the cover story supporting his literary hoax.

And why do that as “Phillip Barker”? The Professor was Phil to his friends, but used his Islamic name professionally. Given its politics and readership, The Journal of Historical Review would presumably not have had anything to do with “Muhammad Abd-al-Rahman Barker, Ph.D”. To infiltrate them he went in undercover.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Only an infantile mind mixes up the art and the artist.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I've reread that post and his reply to someone, and thought about it some more, and I can't help thinking that he laughed off and didn't recognise Barker attempting to recruit him.

Like, that reads as a clear attempt to lure him in, right? I'm not going crazy here? Barker's offering up an ironic joking lure - with reassurances that of course he's fine with Jews, nice people - and then backing off when Morris doesn't bite.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I've reread that post and his reply to someone, and thought about it some more, and I can't help thinking that he laughed off and didn't recognise Barker attempting to recruit him.

Like, that reads as a clear attempt to lure him in, right? I'm not going crazy here? Barker's offering up an ironic joking lure - with reassurances that of course he's fine with Jews, nice people - and then backing off when Morris doesn't bite.

Morris suspiciously doesn't note how after this letter a Nazi press did, in fact, publish the book. :thunk:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Morris suspiciously doesn't note how after this letter a Nazi press did, in fact, publish the book. :thunk:
Read the comments lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Read the comments lol

"I understand that it's over for you. I have a different opinion, based on my long correspondence with Prof Barker and the testimony of people like Jeff Berry.

If new facts came to light that I found convincing then I'd add an addendum to this post, but even then I'll leave the rest of it because, when somebody is accused of something like this and cannot defend themselves, I'd always rather be the person who gave them the benefit of the doubt than the one who rushes to think the worst."

:jerkbag:

More like "I will ignore the facts that are inconvenient for me, unlike YOU ASSHOLES!"

Edit: Wow, he just keeps going.

quote:

Dave, even if you don't think Barker was a Nazi, would you not agree that a) providing material to National Vanguard to sell (thereby helping them raise income) and b) serving for over a decade in a post attached to a holocaust denial journal amounts to collaboration? If Barker is more of a Quisling than a Hitler that doesn't exactly redeem him all that much.

I found your point about White Dwarf to be particularly misguided. Sure, you may well have not agreed with their policies. But you presumably agreed that the subject matter of the magazine - tabletop RPGs and their promotion - was worthy of your time and support, yes?

So if Barker put in a decade in a comparable role for the Journal of Historical Review, and if the JHR is to the promotion of Holocaust revisionism what White Dwarf was to the promotion of tabletop gaming (back in its glory days when you were involved), doesn't that say something about Barker's investment in the subject? (It is certainly a nigh-Andy Kaufman level of effort to go to in order to sell a joke.)

Morris posted:

Fair point, Arthur. Barker wrote the book. He was presumably quite proud of it. He wanted it to be published, but he didn't want it under his own name because he didn't want to be personally associated with the sentiments. He approached a number of UK publishers (major ones, incidentally) and presumably US ones too. No go there, but he still didn't want it to languish in a drawer (authors are like that) and it probably gave him a kick to get money ($5000 in 1992, I'm told; useful on a academic's salary) from the sort of neo-Nazis his dad hung around with. Barker himself wasn't actually a Nazi, but the whole mob culture of the internet means that now a lot of dopes are programmed to start barking the moment anyone so much as accuses somebody of something like this. As I said in the post, I might be wrong, and if actual facts supporting Barker as an anti-Semite come to light I will accept that. But I'm still bloody glad I'm a Christian rather than a Pharisee about this kind of thing.

(bolding mine) This is like the last thing you would want to say when you're defending an accused Neo-Nazi.

I was ready to say that Morris may not be a Nazi but sure is the kind of person that a Nazi would feel comfortable sharing the jokes his Jewish friends won't appreciate, but I'm leaning towards actual Nazi.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 24, 2022

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

this loving dumbass posted:

Fair point, Arthur. Barker wrote the book. He was presumably quite proud of it. He wanted it to be published, but he didn't want it under his own name because he didn't want to be personally associated with the sentiments. He approached a number of UK publishers (major ones, incidentally) and presumably US ones too. No go there, but he still didn't want it to languish in a drawer (authors are like that) and it probably gave him a kick to get money ($5000 in 1992, I'm told; useful on a academic's salary) from the sort of neo-Nazis his dad hung around with. Barker himself wasn't actually a Nazi, but the whole mob culture of the internet means that now a lot of dopes are programmed to start barking the moment anyone so much as accuses somebody of something like this. As I said in the post, I might be wrong, and if actual facts supporting Barker as an anti-Semite come to light I will accept that. But I'm still bloody glad I'm a Christian rather than a Pharisee about this kind of thing.

Really love owning my fascist dad by letting my novel be used as Nazi propaganda to make money for Nazis, working out great for me MAR Barker the dumbest human being on earth

E:f,b

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

A Big Dingus posted:

As I said in the post, I might be wrong, and if actual facts supporting Barker as an anti-Semite come to light I will accept that.

"If you could present me with some actual facts that this man who wrote an alternate history novel about the descendants of heroic SS officers overthrowing the Jewish controlled police state and published it through an established, Neo-Nazi publisher who also served on the Editorial Advisory Committee of a Holocaust Denial publication was some sort of anti-Semite, then I would like to see it!"

edit: If god wanted me to use nested clauses correctly, he'd have me less incompetent :colbert:

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 24, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

KingKalamari posted:

"If you could present me with some actual facts that this man who wrote an alternate history novel about the descendants of heroic SS officers overthrowing the Jewish controlled police state and published it through an established, Neo-Nazi publisher who also served on the Editorial Advisory Committee of a Holocaust Denial publication then I would like to see it!"

Dawg, you got so wrapped up in your nested clauses that you forgot to give the matrix clause a predicate.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No worries, Lumbermouth, I edited that in, after all. This guy's just digging and digging:

quote:

Is there any evidence that you would accept?

Publishing neo-nazi propaganda through a neo-nazi publisher just leaves you utterly unable to divine his inner self. Over a decade on a journal of holocaust denial is basically doing your time for Mr G. Workshop in Nottingham.

And he clearly wasn't a member of the actual German ruling party in the 30s or early 40s, if you want to ignore the neo-.

So, since you're being so logical and reasonable and saying you'd accept evidence - what evidence would you accept?

A hypothetical membership card is obviously part of the long con. The man's words would obviously not count either, as he'd be lying to maintain his cover.

Morris posted:

I'll take literally any statement by Barker (as himself, not as a pseudonymous author) that expresses anti-Semitic or pro-Nazi views. At the moment we have the extraordinary picture of a guy who was allegedly a white supremacist but none of his friends, family or correspondents ever had the slightest inkling.

See, I've answered you in good faith even though you used bad faith arguments in your question.

How about when he, as himself, sent you a letter about how he's got this funny joke that he can't tell his Jewish friends because they'll "overreact"? Or when he, as himself, told you about how he published a neo-Nazi novel in a neo-Nazi press?

Only thing worse than people in denial is really self-important people in denial.

Edit: I should correct things - this letter wasn't to Morris, it was a letter to a UK publisher (written in Barker's own name) soliciting publication for this Too Hot for Vanguard neo-Nazi novel. He's starting to really equivocate over what he knew when; maybe some layer in his lizard brain has finally caught on to what kind of mess he willingly put himself into.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 24, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Barker frankly wasn't famous enough for there to be published volumes of his private letters or published interviews. The novel is his verified public anti-Semitic statement.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

Barker frankly wasn't famous enough for there to be published volumes of his private letters or published interviews. The novel is his verified public anti-Semitic statement.

I mean, the Foundation's been sitting on a lot of other documents from him, it's conceivable there's something even more damning there.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:psyboom:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit: I should correct things - this letter wasn't to Morris, it was a letter to a UK publisher (written in Barker's own name) soliciting publication for this Too Hot for Vanguard neo-Nazi novel. He's starting to really equivocate over what he knew when; maybe some layer in his lizard brain has finally caught on to what kind of mess he willingly put himself into.
Yes, the climbdown is in progress, he's now saying that he thinks Barker was "a fool" for doing it and that his intentions might not have been to eagerly collaborate with Nazis, but what he did amounted to collaboration in effect.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quote:

Elsewhere in this thread you've said that you think Barker was "a fool" but not antisemitic. Why not both?

Talk to actual Holocaust deniers and they'll often tell you "I have no personal animus against Jews; I even have Jewish friends. I just think there's a Zionist cabal that has tricked the world into thinking that Nazis systematically slaughtered millions of Jews. My Jewish friends just don't realize that other Jews have tricked them."

Maybe he didn't carry a personal loathing of Jews in his heart. Maybe he didn't think of himself as "antisemitic."

But a "fool" who collaborates with antisemites on a journal dedicated to Holocaust denial for a decade is an antisemitic fool.

Not because of what's in his heart, but because of what he has done.

Morris posted:

Well, I think he was a fool because he's got himself remembered by many as an anti-Semite when I don't think he was one. But, sure, he might have been so closeted as anti-Semitic that he wasn't even aware of it; it's possible, as we know he had a very troubled relationship with fascist parents. There are homophobic gay people for similar reasons. But this is pure speculation.

The jury is still out (I'm the jury, sorry) on whether he actually collaborated with Holocaust deniers or not. See point elsewhere about needing evidence of what that board was, how he got onto it, how long he was involved with it (if at all), and what he did while on it. I'm told somebody is doing due diligence on this (I assume that means more than just looking the term up in the dictionary) and as soon as I get more information I will post it here -- including a note that I was wrong, if that's what it shows.
(bolding mine)

Buddy, you're not on the jury, you're an unindicted co-conspirator. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The blog went offline for a while, then the comments closed.

Guess I'll have to take the CRPG adaptation off my wishlist. The sooner the better, because "and what's wrong with having neo-Nazi beliefs, anyway? Freedom of speech, amirite?" has to be around the corner.