Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We will defeat them with the power of KITTY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

We're not a villain, or at least trying not to be. Still, I don't see the 'Hero' leaving here satisfied without facing one, so... A Villain we will be.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
...we are definitely a villain lmao

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We don't know WHAT we are. The Tyrant Child may be a villain, but we're a blank slate who is very confused.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CoolCab posted:

...we are definitely a villain lmao

Tyrants usually are

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

'Hero' and 'Villain' are a mite more complicated these days without prophecies and the like to go and do the hard thinking in others stead.
A very heady thing, prophecies; the warmth that comes from a glorious future set in stone is hard to shake, no?
Suppose that, then, is what brings us here now.
This 'Hero' has found their 'Villain', and is hell-bent on bashing themselves and others into their interpretation of what they were promised and drat the consequences.

So I say: Let's put on a show and put on a play of 'Villain' for a day.
That's what this 'Hero' really wants, right?
To go through the motions of half-remembered heroics 'til fleeting satisfaction has its way?
To go through the song and dance of ages past though the pieces scarcely match; but good enough, good enough they'll say til it starts again some other day.

Besides, we ought entertain our audience, no?
Shake some rust off, show our gracious hosts that the Ambassador of Ulthar knows how to put the 'Art' in martial arts.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoy the overwhelming theme of threes woven throughout that whole last update. Go back and look at every time Sauber speaks, and how many sentences he uses at a time.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The Hero isn't silent yet so there is some hope for them.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Arcanuse posted:

'Hero' and 'Villain' are a mite more complicated these days without prophecies and the like to go and do the hard thinking in others stead.
A very heady thing, prophecies; the warmth that comes from a glorious future set in stone is hard to shake, no?
Suppose that, then, is what brings us here now.
This 'Hero' has found their 'Villain', and is hell-bent on bashing themselves and others into their interpretation of what they were promised and drat the consequences.

So I say: Let's put on a show and put on a play of 'Villain' for a day.
That's what this 'Hero' really wants, right?
To go through the motions of half-remembered heroics 'til fleeting satisfaction has its way?
To go through the song and dance of ages past though the pieces scarcely match; but good enough, good enough they'll say til it starts again some other day.

Besides, we ought entertain our audience, no?
Shake some rust off, show our gracious hosts that the Ambassador of Ulthar knows how to put the 'Art' in martial arts.

:popclap:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - [HERO] vs [FINAL BOSS]

You will face the Hero alone. - 11
You will face the Hero, but ask for Chip's help. - 10
You will face the Hero, but ask for Swim's help. - 1
The Hero wants a Villain? Then... I'll face them. - 7

You smile with the beauty of dreaming. You can be you. You can prove you. Squatting, you do something terrible, and pet the Cat What Swims In The Ground on the head. His purred golden vibrationals fulfills your second of peace, and gives you the power to snatch Chips, hoist him up as he protests and bats the air, and then pass him to Sauber to be held so he doesn't do a flying headbutt from the top of the staircase directly into the both of you and right off the side.

...LOADING

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

hero vs what.
excuse me. HERO VERSUS WHAT?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Well. :dogstare:

This should prove to be interesting.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Hopefully we are one of those really challenging final bosses that's only doable if you've done all the sidequests and not one of those really weak ones that is more cinematic than dangerous!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Regallion posted:

hero vs what.
Did you forget that the full-power Tyrant is almost certainly the true final boss of the game? Back during the escape sequence we had a group of the strongest dudes in the world lined up in front of us, and the Tyrant was probably going to kill all of them if we hadn't been calmed down and returned to normal. And knowing our luck, we're probably going to need to split it off from ourselves and fight it at the end of it all.

Captainicus posted:

Hopefully we are one of those really challenging final bosses that's only doable if you've done all the sidequests and not one of those really weak ones that is more cinematic than dangerous!
Nah, we're one of the ones with multiple phases and the first phase is relatively easy. Unfortunately, the transition to phase two will probably annihilate our personality and leave us a mindless engine of destruction.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
mmmm, probably gonna be final from the heroes' perspective tbh :v:

we haven't had the uh, what's a good term for it, video game player narrator to pop in and say that this is a safe encounter like we did with the last long Dream sequence.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hoo boy

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Regallion posted:

hero vs what.

Well, I mean, we're gonna be this hero's final boss...(as in the hero will not be in any condition to fight any other bosses when we're done)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The way the Duke tells it, she seems to think EVERY fight is her "Final fight", or at least her fight against the Duke, and we're just acting as his proxy this time.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Blue Book posted:

"...ALWAYS TAKE GLASS CANNON..."

"...proves that raw steel DR is better than even adamant, but the downsides are too extreme to..."

"...plan on those kind of encounters, then it's good to get more reliable Safehouses like the Unseen Arcade, Solar Retreat, Starlight Zone, Ashlit Shores..."

"...the technique said to be Kaigen's 'ultimate art' has never been seen in use by him, despite hundreds of examples of driving him to..."

"...some reason you manage to have a huge income, then the Pizza Phone is..."

"...'Element' slayers, and then the 'Type' slayers, which can be much more specific or broad in category, like Moloch, Mythos, Mortal, Rat, Royal, Plant, Bird..."

"...encounters, since her Heraldry is backed up by her Phasesaber and two metal..."

"...known as the Hell-Warmed Tunnels. It's important to not use light inside of them too many times..."

"...to run the real risk of suffocation from vomiting so much that..."

"...argue about which way is best to approach the Megalith; west through the long of the Summer Dead Miles? Or east through..."

"...weird is that there's 12 more entries in the Island Colour Magic table, though none of the names are..."

"...seems useless and gaundy with its enormous pauldrons, but it has the tag of 'Immune to Faeries', which means that the damage from the..."

"...care about what you do, but rather whether you succeed at doing it. This is good training for the Ultrablack Suburbs, and their perfectionist..."

"...out of the way, but it's best to get the visit done after the first Megalith, but before committing to the walk to the second, making it into an act of..."

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Raw steel? I know cold iron, but raw steel?

Suffocation from vomiting...yikes.

quote:

"...seems useless and gaundy ."

didja mean gaudy?

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
Huh, that bit about the Ultrablack suburbs makes me wonder if all of the Megaliths have suburbs around them

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm just wondering where we're recommended to visit before committing to our second walk to megalith...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Somewhere out of the way, at least. Jandoobi maybe?

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Randalor posted:

Somewhere out of the way, at least. Jandoobi maybe?

Hider lives in Jandoubi sometimes though, so I think that wouldn't really work/would be more dangerous than it's worth...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You turn to face the Hero, who quiets when you descend in place of Sauber.

DREAMING: [ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][50%]

Your sword is out, shroud enwraithed around you. But you're not going to be a psycho. You're going to fight on your own terms, and subdue the Hero as the Ambassador of Ulthar. Throwing out an unwanted guest. That's all this is. Sauber and the cats watch from above, Roma & Amora watch from below, and 997 eyes patiently observe between. Your opponent is ascending in time with you, a thousand steps remaining before meet.

That's when the skeinclouds snake down from the sky to strike. They come in at their blade-extreme angle, the rains flying through with incredible speed. The world becomes a storm of water, air, and light, graying it all away. The position of the palace clears the stairs of the storm, allowing you to see the Hero while a wall of crying rains obscures the sister sisters to a blurred mass of pale shapes.

"Tyrant."

What?

Your attention tears from the bladewall rains. The Hero is so much closer now, their features almost discernible. Their voice of thought- reflected through the Silver!

"You're revealed. The Tyrant. The true enemy."

You tense up with the heat of terror. The rains are scalding warm.

N҉̵IG̵҉̀H͝͏T̵̨M̨A̸͠R͏̢̡E:̨͞ ̕͢[̨ ̶~͏ ̨̛]̛͞[̀ ͡҉~͡ ̶]̀͡[́͢ ~͏̸ ̀]̕͟[̴ ̧̀͝~͏͟͡ ̀͜]́͡[̨͘50͡͏%͞]҉

The Hero ascends closer while you stay still. You can see them clearly now. You can see who is speaking, one hand clutching the sword, the other extended with a dire need.

A COURAGEOUS KNIGHT insists "All this time lost and starless, at an end." A MAIDEN, LAST OF THEIR KIND clasps hands and intones "It's written all over where your soul should be. You are the one who slew the Sun." A WISE OLD MAGI reads "If you were to die... it might all be set right." A SLY VAGABOND remarks "Can you believe it? This was pure chance."

No! You're NOT the Tyrant Dreaming! You're the Singer. The Ambassador of Ulthar! You shake your sword and shout over the roar-rains that they're making themselves an enemy of this Kingdom!

(Inevitable) 20 [2]+[1]+[6] = 9 - Success (By 11).
vs
(Hero's WL) 18 [2]+[1]+[6] = 9 - Success (By 9).

Exact Match Roll... but the Villain still wins. Hero's Defense reduced by 2.

They barely acknowledge the threat, and don't recognize either title you hide behind. But you paid homage to Sauber and Ulthar with the retort, and you try to carry that with you while you hurry down, feet splashing upon the waterfall current washing the steps smooth. The Hero's pace doesn't change. They continue to accuse.

A CHILDHOOD FRIEND jabs a finger and says "You are. You are the Tyrant. You are the Darkest Lord, the Final Foe, the finalty waiting beyond all Ends." A COLORFUL ANIMAL chirps "Why would you ever stop walking towards that? You are what all stories wish they could become." A CHILD SENT TO DIE BY A HIGHER WILL smiles. "Watch. I'm nothing to you. I could win against the Duke, but not against the one who rules him."

The Hero leans back, sword raised high, and assumes the most basic of stances. The art of cleaving air with heroic strength, sword cutting from afar. The attack comes so fast, and you're too distracted to understand how to react.

(Hero - Sword Art, 'Air Slash') 16(-2) [5]+[2]+[5] = 12 - Success.
[4d+4 = 23(-10) = 13 damage!]

[ Dreaming HP: 12 / 25 ]

You slam into the stairs, back screaming from the stone catching your fall. The air roars into your chest with cutting force, and you watch your blood gush down the steps into a rapidly-graying rainstream.

You stand up stiffly, and the Hero is smiling. They don't raise their sword. They can only see your eyes through the heated rains, and their smile deepens with each step of intent you take. You don't speak it, but they can feel it in your heart. Stop. Stop looking at me like that. Stop calling me that. I'm not. I'm not that. I'm going to use my power to disarm you, to dissuade you. I'm not the Tyrant! I'M NOT! I-

(!TYRANNY) 18(-4) [1]+[2]+[1] = 4 - Critical Success (+Roll Made By 10).
[Critical Effect: 15 (Maximum Damage)]

I look down. The only thing stopping the broken blade from going further through their cloven heart is my own clenched fist. I can't let go. I try, I try to beg my intent to open my hand but it remains the Red Clenched Fist. The Hero says nothing, and wraps their arms around me as they sink to their knees. I follow, one arm clumsily holding them for balance.

Their smile is full. Eyes closed. Their voice reflects off my stunned neurons.

"I knew the moment you walked in front of the Duke that you'd End me. Your gravity is heavier than destiny. It tore it apart and dragged it down into the Dark, where I'm going to go."

They put one of their hands over my killing one The other pushes away my hair, their sacred sword abandoned. Their whisper in death is full of relief's adoration.

("Your eyes. Your broken blade. What did the Sun do to you? Tyrant Painted Gold.")

When the rains end, light casts rainbows through the air; soon to be banished with the withdraw of water back into the skeining sky. The sister sisters all react in their chorus of 997. Sauber is silent, Chips hidden in his suit from the moisture, The Cat What Swims In The Ground drifting serene. Roma & Amora join hands and ascend, once they're certain.

They witness me- ...witness you sunk to the stairs, cradling the dead Hero, your heartdrawn sword left bloodied next to their clean one. Sauber is the first to speak when he steps near, allowing Chips down to rush to your side with silent concern.

"...Ambassador. One sword stroke was enough. If their legend has ripples still, then let this last one be felt by all the lands between. Are you well?"

(Disquiet) 10 [1]+[4]+[1] = 6 - Success!

You stand up with both swords, and smile at the Duke with your rainy dawn eyes.

You'll be fine.

DREAMING: [10%]

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think we learned a lot about how the ends overlap right here but i I also don’t know anything

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We let her die a hero. That was probably all we could do for her.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Randalor posted:

We let her die a hero. That was probably all we could do for her.

Who?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I can't help but wonder if there's a connection between what's left of the Hero being everything and nothing simultaneously, and our own ability to choose a class - and thus implicitly a backstory - at the start of the game. Is there a link? Are they a potential player character, are WE half-hero half-tyrant, or are we merely the other side of the coin? The Vergil to the Dante, equal and opposite? More importantly...can we achieve that state ourselves? At the start of the game, we became two classes simultaneously. Is it possible to become ALL the classes at once like the Hero we just killed? Or is our becoming two things at once
what caused the hero to glitch out like that? As in, were they meant to be one possibility that changes according to our class, and us being a psychic doctor caused them to glitch out?

Also, why do I get the feeling that all of those identities the Hero moved through can be mapped out to the residents of Home?

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
I guess we now know even more explicitly what was going on with Kaigen, huh. It seems that after destroying the sun the threads of fate were also broken, which means that those who were meant to play the roles of heroes and villains suddenly found themselves in the middle of the stage with the script turned blank. One day you're supposed to be a terrifying beast meant to have a climactic battle with a destined hero and the next you're just some schmuck that could just fall off the stairs and die.

But we seem to be the exception to that rule, it looks like we're still fated to be the Tyrant no matter what happens, even after fate itself broke. It looks like Kaigen and the Hero were able to feel the weight of destiny in us and are now trying to give their lives narrative sense through our own destiny. I suppose that's why the Hero was happy to die fighting us, it's a death fitting as an ending to a story, instead of being just a random event. This is what Kaigen might be expecting from us as well, but I don't know if there is room for a Tyrant in the story he was meant to play...

I think the Hero here might be the archetype of a narrative Hero dwelling in the collective subconscious instead of any one Hero in particular, in a sort of Jungian or Campbellian sense. It may have had some sort of identity once before dissolving into an archetype judging from the post before this one. That's why the descriptions were flicking wildly between CHILDHOOD FRIEND or COURAGEOUS KNIGHT and so on, trying to assign a gender to that would be kind of useless I think. It's pretty fitting that we found this guy in the dreamlands, I guess.

And that thing about the "Tyrant painted gold"... I think that might be referring to our fourth personality, maybe. The one that manifested after we killed Bleeder and ran back to the Hideout. The manifestation of Holy in an entity that should by all rights be fully Dark.

Grond fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 24, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I unno, some crazy lady that the Duke said tried to kill him a bunch of times or something.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

a villain posted:

You stand up stiffly, and the Hero is smiling. They don't raise their sword. They can only see your eyes through the heated rains, and their smile deepens with each step of intent you take. You don't speak it, but they can feel it in your heart. Stop. Stop looking at me like that. Stop calling me that. I'm not. I'm not that. I'm going to use my power to disarm you, to dissuade you. I'm not the Tyrant! I'M NOT! I-

Something going on there with the pronoun switch...

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Randalor posted:

I unno, some crazy lady that the Duke said tried to kill him a bunch of times or something.

Once again who? If you mean the Hero, they only get the "they" pronoun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Regallion posted:

Once again who? If you mean the Hero, they only get the "they" pronoun.

I referred to them with female because I thought they were one of the Duke's Sister Sisters. So we may have just killed another of the Duke's visitors instead. Either way they got to die a hero.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Randalor posted:

I referred to them with female because I thought they were one of the Duke's Sister Sisters. So we may have just killed another of the Duke's visitors instead. Either way they got to die a hero.

Black August posted:

But the third; the third who ascended the front windways of the pyramid inverse, who fought down the horrors of Parg, who traveled day and night restless in search of their goal. The third, wild-eyed Fae free, wielding a magic sword with that most holy of intentions - Heroism.

Sauber's single clap and pleasantly annoyed exhale brings you back into clarity. What is this? You look at the Duke, who smiles in apology with all 999 of his vorpal teeth, the green sky reflecting clean in their gleam.

"It happened, Ambassador. The force that binds. The weight, the pull, the light that guides. The whispered words and far-cast visions. Gone! All gone, taken behind a wall of night! The fabric which so many played enchanted with, smoothing that terrible cloth to see every shape it hides. Dust. No destined path set out. No finality to bookmark. No legends to tell. Or worse; cut short, the pages of the book burned out, never to be finished."

DREAMING: [ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][40%]

The Duke's sisters all wait with terse annoyance. The figure below screams out Sauber's name again, and their voice mortifies you. The tones of an addict. The cadence of a burnout. The words from rock bottom.

"I'm surprised they can even speak. A Hero who falls this far goes silent. They lose who they might have been. Who they were meant to be. Nobody remains but the intent, the lust and fire of one screaming for the light of a star that is neither living or dead, but simply GONE!"

Another scream. You're halfway down to meeting the figure even as you beg for your confusion and fears to be answered. Why is there a Hero here?

"Why, to kill a villain. Me!"

The Duke adjusts his suit with a darkly deep laugh that starts at the spine and vorpal-claws its way up to ring the skull. You... find yourself laughing with him, and you know you'll understand why when you wake.

"Who can say, Ambassador? Once! Once maybe, upon a time. I might have been destined to meet my end at their blade. To be turned into a tale for the kings and cockroaches, a warning of Sarnath or a glory like the Dream Quest. More likely, I had nothing to do with their lost cause, and they simply sniffed out my patterns of predation, the lost of their mind crying out, "Slay him slay him! Glory and good! Heroic and bold! Fulfill your destiny!"
Sauber has no idea who they are or were. They're not a visitor, just the hollowed-out remains of a murderhobo that kicked down the door and shouted a challenge to the lord of the lair. Y'know, just like we did with Bleeder.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
We get the master sword, sweet

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Sauber has no idea who they are or were. They're not a visitor, just the hollowed-out remains of a murderhobo that kicked down the door and shouted a challenge to the lord of the lair. Y'know, just like we did with Bleeder.

I mean, technically they're a visitor in the sense that they're visiting the Duke's home (with the intention to kill him). No, I completely misread that and missed that they weren't one of the Sister Sisters, I honestly thought it was a Sister Sister who lapsed into episodes of... delusions of grandeur I guess?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A beat passes.

Then Chips starts screaming and smashing his head into you. The sister sisters break from their wait and crowd with a thousand praises, their manners impeccably coordinated.

"Ambassador, we're so sorry for the trouble." "You should have let us take care of them for you!" "You pounced." "You are everything that brother said you'd be." "Nice." "Wait wait, sisters, sisters-"

One of the lamias begins to clap her hands politely. She seems a little unfamiliar with the gesture, but you know through the logic that she used a ritual to peek and figure out what you'd like as a show of grace for the insane power move you just pulled. Suddenly, there are 999 hands of 999 kinds gently thundering up and down the steps to show the sincere polite to the Ambassador of Ulthar. The disquiet of what just happened is so gently wrapped away under the warm display of the dream's logic, and you're lost to fleeting memories of stages and lights and million-eyed nights. You catch Chips as he climb-jumps up you, smooshing his face against yours to draw the hood down and allow the sister sisters to all see-

You smile, like the Sun.

DREAMING: [ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][90%] [999 Prayers Enwrap You]
[+Joy]

The immense hand is gentle when it touches your shoulder. You turn to see the 1000th smile of the Duke, who expresses his hand out to the skeinstormed horizon. "This, Ambassador. This is my satisfaction. This is why your Blood Oath makes me more than I was. I saw it! I saw your performance of my art; you were inevitable! There's nothing more to be done but retire and celebrate. I-" he suddenly calls aside the crowding sisters, and motions down the steps with adoring excitement. "See! My elder sisters, sister sisters; they move in the same pattern of celebrated conquest as they gift to me!"

The stairs open so clean you swear there are repeating patterns of coilscale white flashing unity up and down the long mile stairs. But there, there there; ruby and sapphire flashing in time as they approach ritually to the corpse of the Hero, the criss-crossing duality of it haunting your swordarm with its complete understanding of your totality of conquest. When the elder sisters arrive at the body, they circle it once while they tear at their dark garb, enough to cast a gentle covering for the skyward face of the Hero slain, the body lain with wounded grace across the smooth stairs. It would fade into dream when the attention of all present passed into the evening, the only reminder being the colorless souldead sword you've taken from their hand.

Ah! Chips is riding your neck like a drape. You're too deep in the dream to care now about the dark, both swords put away so you can yank the cat down, petting him thoroughly before sending him back to the Cat What Swims... who has been looking at you rather evenly this entire time. The bother of that it rippled away when he suddenly mwors for a pet, which you oblige to as he purrs again with the soothing vibrationals. Chips is salty he didn't get to killsteal, but his respect, and Ulthar's, has been won thoroughly. Roma & Amora interrupt with a shifting tag-team of one speaking to you, while the other pets one of the cats, as they switch off and guide you up the steps with Sauber and the other 997 in tow.

"Your myth marks the Pyramid of Power.
The Heroic, however mad, won't be so eager to approach now.
Are you well, Ambassador?
We can treat the wound in minutes.
Please retire with us and our brother so we can meet the Council.
Our sister sisters will see to preparing a feast celebrating our unity."

You can't help but smile again; their mannerisms scream such intense danger, but their attentions are so gracious that you can forget the risk and enjoy the time. You walk up into the spires of darkness above the pyramid inverted, into the small dark chambers of Ulthar and diplomatic meet. The circular chamber is littered with countless nooks and crannies; some filled with sand, others with soft blankets, some with heated stones, a few with eversnow piles. Many are gorged with weakened but quick little creatures that makes attractive chirps of fear. It's dark... save for the outline of glowing stones inlaid into rituals paths along to the lovely stones at the center. They're of every shape and size, glowing differently depending on their innate temperature. Every other Council cat is draped on a stone of their choosing to nap; Stinky even has a little sauna flower pool to rest in. Chips flops over before reaching a stone. Roma & Amora drape themselves upon long sloped rocks, eyes bright in the black as they sleepily observe you. Prince Cattington sits on Roma. Amora cradles the sedated Chowder. Sauber plainly lies down upon a large flat floorstone, relaxed and spread out as many of the cats lazily saunter over to plop down on his body for a knead and a rest. You look around and sit down on a warm smooth thronestone, really appreciating the Duke's idea of how to host Ulthar diplomatic meets.

His voice reverberates on the heated stones. "...they are much too strong. The Corporation. They hold more cards than us all combined. They haven't the rule of Kadath, sweet lost sacred city; but they've roosted within it parasite, and I know they smell a Throne. But they've too much to be told no. All the Fae ground under their thumb. The wars are all their profit. The Dream made ridiculous with their surgeries invasive."

Chips leaps to lay down in your lap. You pet him, and aren't surprised when a glass of some kind of soothing violet tea is resting on the arm of your seat. Roma & Amora speak, voice fading from deep red to high blue.

"The time comes for us to make meet within the Underground.
We promise to walk with you in unity shown.
It's there we'll see the true and final design of the Corporation.
We'll know which pieces of power stand tall to hear their offer."

You stretch out and roll your head in thought of MC&D. You force one hand to hold your drink, the other to pet Chips, so neither can close into the shape of a red fist while you think about their offenses. Merkja is hurt, right? Yeah. That makes sense. She's in trouble then. Deimos is angry, yeah? Right. That's a given. He'll be dangerous then. Plus whatever happened before you met that huge wolf. It's... between the shower in the apartment and then talking to the wolf. What was that void? But you can't think about that, because you're dreaming, which means logically you're kneeling by Sauber to let Chips jump atop him as you press your bloodscar to his.

"Ambassador, I am no liar. I am in fear of the future. My joy with you is to know that you are capable; whatever comes, my seek is not the complacency of order and old, but the neverending shed of skin in search of new change. I will adapt, and survive. But only if you are at our side."

Of course. Of course. You promise him. You promise Ulthar. You kiss each cat on the head and tell them of course they're going to survive. Of course. They have to. They must. You assure Roma, you reassure Amora, survival is absolute. You won't let them die. You won't let any of them die. Not like the ship no no. Not like the city no no no. Not like the War That Ended All Wars no no no no. See? See? Sauber even wears a suit. SMART. That's what people who don't want to die wear. That's what keeps you safe. You saw. You saw you saw what happened the only ones who lived had-

Roma whispers, "Ambassador."
Amora murmurs, "Look."
Sauber rumbles "Our Oath is renewed."

The Cat What Swims In The Ground takes to the center of the flat stone, as Sauber rises to kneel. You don't know what's wrong with your thoughts. Your dream is- this isn't a natural sleep, and, and all anxieties are bubbling up with nightmare's hiss. Overwhelm in the rest, hand clenching painfully. But then, the golden cat begins to purr. Deep, stoneshifting, absolute. The golden vibrationals take you, and you collapse in a heap as Sauber and his elder sisters catch you, and the other cats all surround you.

You realize your panic; it's because you don't want the dream to end. You're waking up, back into the nightmare. Ulthar knows and shows mercy, the Cat What Swims power gently shaking you back awake without the horror of the nightmare tearaway.

"Dream of us again, Ambassador. When we meet tonight, and fall down into the Underground."

DREAMING: [ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][99%]

DREAMING: [ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][90%]

DREAMING: [ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][70%]

DREAMING: [ ~ ][ ~ ][ ~ ][40%]

DREAMING: [10%]

DREAMING: [1%]

AWAKE

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Of 997 sister sisters watching,
997 were impressed.
Duke Sauber was quite impressed.

You have gone from Friendly to Allied with Duke Sauber and his 999 sister sisters.
Gifted item, "Magic Gold"

Ulthar's faith in you has grown.
Acquired weapon, "DEAD SWORD"

...LOADING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Duke Sauber is such a cool dude.