Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol wsj

quote:

Compliance Is the Reason We Still Have Mask Mandates
I covered my face, and I’m ashamed.

Shame on me. I was so excited to see a performance of “Prayer for the French Republic” at New York City Center with a group of girlfriends that I never checked the theater’s website for its Covid policies. Had I looked, I would have known that there was still a mask mandate in place, and I wouldn’t have bought a ticket.

I arrived at the theater five minutes before the curtain went up and was asked to put on my mask. I didn’t have one. I threw my masks away the minute the New York City mandates were lifted, but the helpful door attendant was happy to hand me one.

I shouldn’t have, but I took it. I thought about handing it back and turning on my heel, but I didn’t. I put it on and rushed in to meet my friends. Arriving at my row, I loudly objected to the absurdity of continuing a policy already proven to be ineffective. My friends agreed, as did two strangers seated to their left who said they were relieved to hear others thought this was madness too. I told myself making a public fuss was a substitute for acting on what I believed. I should have left.

Instead, I sat down. I seethed at the mask monitors in the front of the room who scanned the audience for masks that dipped below noses. They seemed to love their jobs. I could have stood up, apologized to my friends and said what I truly felt—that abiding by this policy was feeding the monster, and that I would not participate. No play was worth my dignity. I could have walked out.

But I didn’t. It was raining outside, and I didn’t want to upset my friend who had organized the afternoon. I had heard great things about the show, and I was already there, so I stayed.

I had refused masks before, forgoing a night at the opera and entrance into a store. When it was easy, I was all in. But in a moment of decision when convenience and conviction collided, I chose the former. Shame on me and on everyone who feels as I do and acts as I did. We are the reason that mask mandates still exist.

Say the line, Bart.

quote:

Ms. Sugar is a writer and philanthropic consultant in New York.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol a blue check finally made the connection

https://twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1506619600099811337?t=pj6720SCWqNPaC4CYaNeHA&s=19

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

stump collector posted:

pretty sure full rear end respirators are a no go on airplanes because people think youre gonna do a huge fart cloud attack and neutralize the crew

*gluts self on beans*

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If you have to fly, wear a good fitting FFP2 and once you are through security, tape it to your face with surgical tape. That way it can't slip off/become loose when you fall asleep.

Not great but better than going maskless.

If airlines ever start to make masks illegal, maybe Asian airlines will still be an option because they probably won't it due to the cultural acceptance of masks over there.

Also getting a cert from a doctor saying you need a mask for health reasons might work.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

lol wsj

Say the line, Bart.

WHAT

MANDATES

YOU

gently caress

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/gm_stone/status/1506411037058338818

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol: @ mask compliance in those pictures

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: @ mask compliance in those pictures

maximum liberalism

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

whoever gave thomas the 'vid deserves a medal

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh, good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTwZYlV85A

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

There's no reason to do this! There's literally no reason to not require masks on flights!

Holy poo poo it's the the lowest effort location imaginable to keep a mask mandate in place

its annoying

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

whoever gave thomas the 'vid deserves a medal

All I want for Christmas is a mass die off of our corrupt gerontocracy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr. Pizza posted:

its annoying

It’s also become indisputable gospel that just like post sitting down at a restaurant, you cannot catch COVID on airplane.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Schools and airports have been long considered notorious plague pits bit COVID is different. COVID is special and does not linger in those places.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Who cares?

Is this poo poo even five percent as deadly as COVID‐19?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
writing this down to see if it ever comes true later:

Alpha's wave peaked in the Philippines at around April 15, 2021
Delta's wave peaked at around September 15, 2021
Omicron's wave peaked at around January 15, 2022

this gives us five months between Alpha and Delta on the high-end,
and four months between Delta and Omicron on the low-end

this means that we could be seeing the peak of another surge right around May 15 to June 15, 2022

but that's the peak, when did the surge start?
for the Alpha wave, there was maybe a month's lag-time from cases just starting to visibly increase, to cases peaking
for the Delta wave, same thing
for the Omicron wave, it was something like two week between cases starting to tick up, to cases peaking

that suggests a window of April 15 to May 1, for seeing whether cases are going to go up again

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Now we'll have to wait until someone puts one and one together and realize that the NATO summit is also a superspreader event 😈

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

writing this down to see if it ever comes true later:

Alpha's wave peaked in the Philippines at around April 15, 2021
Delta's wave peaked at around September 15, 2021
Omicron's wave peaked at around January 15, 2022

this gives us five months between Alpha and Delta on the high-end,
and four months between Delta and Omicron on the low-end

this means that we could be seeing the peak of another surge right around May 15 to June 15, 2022

but that's the peak, when did the surge start?
for the Alpha wave, there was maybe a month's lag-time from cases just starting to visibly increase, to cases peaking
for the Delta wave, same thing
for the Omicron wave, it was something like two week between cases starting to tick up, to cases peaking

that suggests a window of April 15 to May 1, for seeing whether cases are going to go up again

No one will ever know because we gave up and stopped testing :ssh:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Platystemon posted:

Who cares?

Is this poo poo even five percent as deadly as COVID‐19?

I care, as someone who wheezes for three months every time I catch a cold.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

WHAT

MANDATES

YOU

gently caress

I think there are a lot of people who want a federal mask mandate put in place just so they can complain about it

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Greg Legg posted:

I think there are a lot of people who want a federal mask mandate put in place just so they can complain about it

I would certainly like to have a mask mandate to complain about not being harsh enough.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

There's no reason to do this! There's literally no reason to not require masks on flights!

Holy poo poo it's the the lowest effort location imaginable to keep a mask mandate in place

Mr. Pizza posted:

its annoying

Other things that are annoying at the airport:
  • Metal detectors.
  • Having to take our shoes off.
  • Weird rules about how much liquid can be brought on board.
  • Standing in an x-ray booth so some dude in another room can look at a picture of my dick.
I assume that poo poo will be going away at the same time?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

Other things that are annoying at the airport:

• Weird rules about how much liquid can be brought on board.

I assume that poo poo will be going away at the same time?

What's wrong with you? This is perfectly acceptable as it is an arbitrary rule to make sure people buy enough overpriced drinks after passing security. Are you not a loyal consumer?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I wonder if making it tough to apply the ADA to force masks in order to allow disabled people to participate in society was in the calculation for the CDC or just an unanticipated side benefit for them.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

not buying it, that was over three weeks ago. All the notables caught it somewhere else

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

not buying it, that was over three weeks ago. All the notables caught it somewhere else

Man if only we had contact tracing.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

that goes against my unalienable right to spread disease anonymously

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This may have been posted but gently caress it I have to work at the office again so I can't keep up

https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1506832144080986117?t=diO_QA5blZ4zIOCV2VCrHw&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

empty whippet box posted:

we can't care about the wave until it's gotten worse than any other wave before it in every possible metric, and by then it will be past the peak and we can drop restrictions.

yeah that’s what they did with omicron

mild mild mild mild -> past the peak !!

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Your new normal: PPE, not eating at restaurants
My new normal: brain damage, having a stroke at age 30
We are not the same

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Schools and airports have been long considered notorious plague pits bit COVID is different. COVID is special and does not linger in those places.

I’ve gotten sick three times from school age kids since masks came off lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

silicone thrills posted:

If we want to figure out who got people infected, we should switch to contract tracing.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

I’ve gotten sick three times from school age kids since masks came off lol

At some point you just gotta face the fact that your kids hate you and want you to die. But barring boomers realizing this, schools will remain a vector of infection :(

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

"Why are you wearing a mask, you don't have to?" - a question I hear probably twelve times a day. Tourists have zero survival instinct.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
so assuming thomas infection is actually bacterial (lol) maybe he’s got the consumption

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The priorities are pretty clear.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/599371-irs-probe-finds-nearly-2-billion-in-covid-19-related-stimulus-fraud posted:

IRS probe finds nearly $2 billion in coronavirus stimulus-related fraud
(..)
The federal government has paid out more than $3.6 trillion dollars and is committed to pay $4.2 trillion in response to the pandemic, totaling almost 20 percent of U.S. gross domestic product.
(..)
Despite major busts, the IRS Criminal Investigation division says it is underfunded, noting its workforce “has shrunk by 25% over the course of the last decade, which is consistent with diminishing resources across the agency.”

The division received a $21 million budget boost for new technology in the omnibus spending package passed earlier this month. Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) has called for increased support for the division in light of its role in going after sanctioned assets of Russian oligarchs.
(..)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/us/politics/house-spending-bill.html posted:

House Passes $1.5 Trillion Spending Bill as Democrats Drop Covid Aid
Facing disputes over how to cover the cost of the pandemic response effort, Democrats dropped it rather than jeopardize legislation that includes aid for Ukraine and other top priorities.
(..)
But the exclusion of the $15.6 billion pandemic aid package, amid disputes about its cost that threatened to derail the broader legislation, infuriated the White House and frustrated Democratic leaders, leaving the fate of the Biden administration’s coronavirus strategy uncertain.

The president’s team has said it is in urgent need of funding for testing, therapeutics, vaccines and efforts to stop new variants. Officials had initially suggested they needed as much as $30 billion before requesting $22.5 billion, an amount that got whittled down in negotiations with Republicans, who resisted spending any new federal money on the pandemic.
(..)

Emphasized the key point of this juxtaposition.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This may have been posted but gently caress it I have to work at the office again so I can't keep up

https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1506832144080986117?t=diO_QA5blZ4zIOCV2VCrHw&s=19

I remember everyone postulating he had an active COVID infection. This is really loving sad though

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Koirhor posted:

so assuming thomas infection is actually bacterial (lol) maybe he’s got the consumption

King's evil.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

lol there was an episode on Chapo where they complained for like 5 straight minutes that masks on airplanes don't work because "it's a hermetically sealed tube"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

not_superiority posted:

(..)This is really loving sad though

Idk. Having not much relationship with Bob Saget beyond AFHV, I keep hearing the theme song and it is pretty cheerful.