Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just let them have fun.

I'm still mad the sky pirate venture barely begins before they trip over some world ending threat. Who keeps leaving these things laying around anyway? :mad:

Imagine I posted the "wizards: no sense of right and wrong" comic but it's Amon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is a disengenuous description of the situation.

Agreed, he had *four* katanas

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How does a BLM utilize Lucid Dreaming given it doesn't work during Fire? Is there actually space for it to shave off precious time from an Ice phase? It looks like Ice fills you so fast there's no space for Lucid.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Dignity posted:

He had 3, one of them broke and he replaced it.

Moreso he's not just determined he's a hosed up child super soldier experiment.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Counterpoint: I had a can of Raid.

I'm assuming you're talking about the bug primal because I'm a sprout.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SuperKlaus posted:

How does a BLM utilize Lucid Dreaming given it doesn't work during Fire? Is there actually space for it to shave off precious time from an Ice phase? It looks like Ice fills you so fast there's no space for Lucid.

You don't.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's a completely accurate description because one guy with a katana can absolutely defeat a human tactical nuke, and frankly the human tactical nuke might just be a second guy with a second katana.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So then two WoLs in a trenchcoat with two katanas each would be an unstoppable killing force?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lucid is completely useless on BLM. If you need MP, switch to Ice. That’s just how it’s designed.

TBH Lucid isn’t really that necessary on any of the magic DPS unless you a) have just died as SMN or RDM or b) have to rez a ton of folks as SMN or RDM.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

It is used in some Transpose rotations for complicated but very small potency gains. If you are doing the normal rotation (i.e. entering Ice with Blizzard 3) it's not useful at all.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hopeandjoy posted:

Lucid is completely useless on BLM. If you need MP, switch to Ice. That’s just how it’s designed.

TBH Lucid isn’t really that necessary on any of the magic DPS unless you a) have just died as SMN or RDM or b) have to rez a ton of folks as SMN or RDM.

Longer fights can run an SMN or RDM pretty low, even without res spells.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Longer fights can run an SMN or RDM pretty low, even without res spells.

I will admit that BLM is my main so I only ever really run the other two in dungeons.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i just use it on cooldown for summoner. usually i weave it after the titan summon.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
My RDM is absolutely mp negative even in mid length fights so I hit lucid at 8000 mp. Cast harder, cast faster

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Please do not hard cast though

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The WoL isn't really that strong. Your superpower is fighting things 8v1 or even 24v1. Hell, I spent a substantial amount of the final trial lying on the floor.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Vargs posted:

The WoL isn't really that strong. Your superpower is fighting things 8v1 or even 24v1. Hell, I spent a substantial amount of the final trial lying on the floor.

*Heroically* lying on the floor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah I'm not sure what changed in Endwalker but RDM and Summoner are now rather sharply MP negative, wheras in shadowbringers RDM basically only needed to Lucid after two or three rezzes

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zomborgon posted:

*Heroically* lying on the floor.

Heroically getting up off the floor over and over again in my case. Towards the end, I even yelled in party chat, "GO AHEAD AND KEEP KILLING ME, I'M TOO STUPID TO KNOW HOW TO STAY DEAD!" Or something to that effect, at any rate.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Vargs posted:

My brain: "keep looking directly at the boss for attack tells".
Whoever designed that fight: "lol planets go spin".

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Kurieg posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what changed in Endwalker but RDM and Summoner are now rather sharply MP negative, wheras in shadowbringers RDM basically only needed to Lucid after two or three rezzes
I didn't play RDM a whole lot in ShB but it was MP negative for me then too. I believe the RDM I raided with also regularly used Lucid at 7-8000 MP.

ShB Summoner had a good amount of GCDs that didn't use MP so it was MP-neutral for me, outside of needing to rez people. Pet attacks and one of the Phoenix spells not using MP are what I can remember off the top of my head.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kurieg posted:

Which is weird given Arcanist's whole deal was being super mp-efficient due to math formulas, and that got reflected in gameplay with Arc/Smn rarely ever running outta mp. I assume the changes in Trance and Aetherflow in Endwalker now has them suddenly chugging MP though, since I wanna say old SMN traits actually gave them free casts all the time which was how they were able to get by without ever pushing lucid till now. Or it might have just been the ShB rotation looping around EA which allowed them lots of free attacks, and baha/phoenix might have just been free. Before ShB, aetherflow used to be an active button to push as part your rotation so it was also a constant MP refund as well.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 24, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
My equations prove that I'm going to blow your rear end out the water with all my aether

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Warmachine posted:

Counterpoint: I had a can of Raid.

I'm assuming you're talking about the bug primal because I'm a sprout.

He's talking about someone else, based on where you said you were in the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RDM was absolutely MP negative in ShB, I heard lots of complaining about that in the period after release.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

All your GCDs cost 300mp now basically vs old ruin 3/4 being 200, ruin 2 being 400, hardcast dots being 500, and assaults being free but by and far the gcds you used the most were 3/4 and the free ones. So yeah you’re mp negative in endwalker but you still just need to hit lucid, it’s not healer mp management or anything

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

He's talking about someone else, based on where you said you were in the game.

I know, my post went up just after the tell. Still I left it alone because I thought the dumb joke was funny.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

RDM was absolutely MP negative in ShB, I heard lots of complaining about that in the period after release.

RDM was MP negative in ShB on release, they reduced MP costs in 5.05 to deal with that

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Speaking of the WoL's body count, I get the feeling I'm going to keep Grynewaht jobbing for a while. :getin:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In a long enough boss fight with no breaks I can get under 1000MP on Summoner but I won't run out unless I have to rez someone

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't go so far as to call Lucid an "interesting" button the functional loss of which is really a sad thing but it's still kind of a shame when there's a button in a job that basically doesn't do anything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

*nods*

*punches fist in hand*

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Leal posted:

*nods*

*punches fist in hand*

I'm kinda salty I didn't get a screengrab of the WoL's face when Nero lets you use the Red Baron at the end of HW. It was the biggest, dumbest, grin I ever saw.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to call Lucid an "interesting" button the functional loss of which is really a sad thing but it's still kind of a shame when there's a button in a job that basically doesn't do anything.

It's a little unfortunate, but unless they make aggro management a mechanic that matters again, there's not really anything they can do to make Lucid generally useful on BLM. And personally, I care less about a role action being bad than something like Scathe being useless.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

add knockback immunity to lucid so all casters get two B)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

I'm kinda salty I didn't get a screengrab of the WoL's face when Nero lets you use the Red Baron at the end of HW. It was the biggest, dumbest, grin I ever saw.

Same except for (Post-ShB)the G-Warrior section, I love the visible disappointment when Cid says it needs repairs and can't be used to fight Emerald.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Same except for (Post-ShB)the G-Warrior section, I love the visible disappointment when Cid says it needs repairs and can't be used to fight Emerald.

I'm pretty sure that is the saddest expression they ever have in the entire game

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

WrightOfWay posted:

It's a little unfortunate, but unless they make aggro management a mechanic that matters again, there's not really anything they can do to make Lucid generally useful on BLM. And personally, I care less about a role action being bad than something like Scathe being useless.

Scathe is used for hitting enemies when you know it's gonna be dead or you'll be on the move before a cast can complete.

E: in later levels only if you don't have your other instants up of course. It's mainly for dungeon running.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 24, 2022

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Scathe is super useful if you're doing Black Mage runs of PotD and HoH too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Either Lucid Dreaming should get a self-heal component, or Scathe should become Drain, or both.