Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
My good friend juri put it up on twitter

https://twitter.com/jurijuri/status/1506968057545203715?t=nd2IcJlOCk444QLgPhjb-g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Ukraine: We need manpower and weaponry
America: Look the best we can do for reinforcements is sending in the English voice actor of Broly

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Haven't the people of Ukraine suffered enough already?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When Ukraine asked for Predators this isn't what they meant

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Zelenskyy: "wrong kind of predator, United states"

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Waffleman_ posted:

:vince:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > Vic Mignogna: When Ukraine asked for Predators this isn't what they meant

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Odessa expected washed up MIGs but this is ridiculous

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

MechaX posted:

Ukraine: We need manpower and weaponry
America: Look the best we can do for reinforcements is sending in the English voice actor of Broly

"Well, at least Johnny Yong Bosch will raise morale for our nerdiest soldiers."

"uhhhh"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also like

Most of Ukraine is Christian

What's he going to minister? Did he forget where the war is and just assume that it's like the Middle East or Africa

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Also like

What's he going to minister? Did he forget where the war is and just assume that it's like the Middle East or Africa

Wrong type of Christian.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Waffleman_ posted:

Also like

Pretty sure that Christians in Ukraine are mostly Eastern Orthodox, which is pretty different from Western Christianity in a lot of ways.

EDIT: Guess I should move this part into a separate post now

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 25, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

's still Jesus tho, innit?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

's still Jesus tho, innit?

You'd think that the big guy would only care that you like him and try to do right, but no lmao, every possible sect of Christianity is insane about doing it "our way"

ESPECIALLY fundies

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jeez, this is why I drifted away from the church.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Like two of the bigger differences I can think of right offhand are:

1. Their organizational structures. Western churches — be they Protestant, Catholic, or otherwise — typically defer final say on religious matters to a central figurehead of some kind, like the Pope in Catholicism. Eastern Orthodox is more of a representative democracy where the Holy See as a whole is divided into regions based on geography and population (I think the current number of regions is like 15 or so), with each region being represented by an Elder clergyman and the Elders from all regions meeting regularly to vote on matters of policy; the "leader" of this system is a guy called the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople (currently Bartholomew I), whose role is basically limited to that of a "chairman" overseeing and running the meetings between the Elders and I think maybe casting a tie-breaking vote every now and again. You can kinda look at both sides as being analogous to the North and South in the American Civil War, with Western Christians being like the Union and Eastern ones being like the Confederacy (minus the slavery obv).

2. Their views on the afterlife. Western Christians consider Heaven and Hell to be two separate and distinct places, with the souls of "good" people going to the former when they die and "evil" people going to the latter. Eastern Orthodox tradition holds that all souls return to God and remain in the presence of God after death regardless of their actions in life or how "good" or "evil" they are. This effectively means that "Heaven" and "Hell" are both one and the same in Eastern Orthodox belief, since righteous souls would consider being in God's presence to be paradise while those that turned their backs on God would consider it to be torturous.

... not that anyone asked, but I've done a bit of reading on this subject and so I thought I'd share some factoids. Also my dad is a theology nerd who trained in a seminary to be a priest for several years before leaving to marry my mom, and sometimes he drills this poo poo into my head without me asking and if I have to go through that then so do you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Give him to the Russians. Hopefully he'll have to dub anime from the GULAG.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I can’t remember which video but a recent Fundie Fridays (channel that breaks down mainly Christian cults and figureheads) featured a group that does this sort of thing and the reality is they barely do any kind of charitable, helpful, meaningful actions in areas of crisis, it’s purely to center themselves as righteous. Total fundie/evangelical move of the deluded and abusive.

It gets worse:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hey everyone here remembers the republican nazi Matt Shea right? Aka Verum Bellator (ep. 384 of the Dollop etc)? He's currently being... weird... in Poland with 62 Ukrainian children:

https://twitter.com/davidlgutman/status/1504133554447392780?t=HhGpTizJOmW4PXwrBQcUXA&s=19

Kesper North posted:

This gentleman posted a manifesto calling for the use of rape as a weapon of war in Eastern Washington's coming war on the godless hordes of Western Washington.

This is not even hyperbole, it's literal truth

Oh Oh OH I FORGOT ABOUT THE CHILD SOLDIERS

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/aug/14/rep-matt-shea-endorsed-training-child-soldiers-for/

Kesper North posted:

"The Biblical Basis for War"

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/matt-shea-christian-terrorism-washington-report-ammon-bundy.html

Another fun article on this guy

https://www.courthousenews.com/investigation-finds-washington-state-rep-involved-in-domestic-terrorism/

And another https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/20/matt-shea-rightwing-messages-chat-records#maincontent

Naturally there was never a police investigation or any charges brought, this investigation was carried out by the State House of Representatives

Why would an child sexual abuser want to go desperately to such a place in such a time???

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wasabi the J posted:

It gets worse:

Why would an child sexual abuser want to go desperately to such a place in such a time???

I wondered what happened to this nutjob after his plans for building an Army of God came out. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been called out by Twitter and the news media after that plus all his domestic terrorism poo poo with the Bundys.

:10bux: says he was also present in the January 6th Capitol riot mob.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I. M. Gei posted:

Like two of the bigger differences I can think of right offhand are:

1. Their organizational structures. Western churches — be they Protestant, Catholic, or otherwise — typically defer final say on religious matters to a central figurehead of some kind, like the Pope in Catholicism. Eastern Orthodox is more of a representative democracy where the Holy See as a whole is divided into regions based on geography and population (I think the current number of regions is like 15 or so), with each region being represented by an Elder clergyman and the Elders from all regions meeting regularly to vote on matters of policy; the "leader" of this system is a guy called the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople (currently Bartholomew I), whose role is basically limited to that of a "chairman" overseeing and running the meetings between the Elders and I think maybe casting a tie-breaking vote every now and again. You can kinda look at both sides as being analogous to the North and South in the American Civil War, with Western Christians being like the Union and Eastern ones being like the Confederacy (minus the slavery obv).

2. Their views on the afterlife. Western Christians consider Heaven and Hell to be two separate and distinct places, with the souls of "good" people going to the former when they die and "evil" people going to the latter. Eastern Orthodox tradition holds that all souls return to God and remain in the presence of God after death regardless of their actions in life or how "good" or "evil" they are. This effectively means that "Heaven" and "Hell" are both one and the same in Eastern Orthodox belief, since righteous souls would consider being in God's presence to be paradise while those that turned their backs on God would consider it to be torturous.

... not that anyone asked, but I've done a bit of reading on this subject and so I thought I'd share some factoids. Also my dad is a theology nerd who trained in a seminary to be a priest for several years before leaving to marry my mom, and sometimes he drills this poo poo into my head without me asking and if I have to go through that then so do you.

I don't know poo poo about Eastern Orthodox, but Protestants don't have an equivalent of the The Pope, that's what they were protesting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Maybe they'll hook him up to a sonic weapon so he can go "HUUURRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.... AAAAARRRUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!" for w hours, just like in the DBS Broly movie.

I hope a tank lands on him.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Just lolling an Evangelical thinks they can convert a single Pole. Even the Pope is like "hey, can you tone it down a little" because they're so, so very old-school catholic.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Any update on the court case or is this a thread for when vic does anything now?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

Any update on the court case or is this a thread for when vic does anything now?

Stalled in appeals court hell

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Civil appeals take a while to complete. Add onto that fact that covid slowed down courts nationwide, quite a bit of civil stuff got pushed way out because criminal stuff has explicit constitutional timelines that have to be met that aren't near as relevant in a civil context.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It doesn’t help that the record in this case is an actual dumpster fire thanks to Ty Beard, wouldn’t be surprised if this case floated across several law clerks over the months all of whom ended up shoving it to a corner of their desk to focus on literally anything else

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 25, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Jamie and Monica have a podcast which is quite fun to listen to if you haven’t heard it. They go over their experience and it’s great hearing them tear down Vic fans claims about them.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

The Black Stones posted:

Jamie and Monica have a podcast which is quite fun to listen to if you haven’t heard it. They go over their experience and it’s great hearing them tear down Vic fans claims about them.

When they went over the stuff people said about them “not being real victims” I wanted to scream. I’m amazed they are able to just put up with all of that the way they do

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I tried to listen to it a few times but I can't stand their mocking valley girl voice. I get why they do it, but my brain can't handle it.

I'm on their side, Vic is a poo poo bird.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If I remember right, Vic is either an east Texas native or he lives in the area now, right? Or his mom lives here or something?

I was born and raised in ETX. Which means that if Vic dies in Ukraine, my local news is deffo gonna do a piece about him, and I am gonna feel compelled to have a very weird conversation with my dad about who this deceased anime voiceman is and why he is actually bad. Hell they might do one just for him going there to "preach" to the refugees at all; this area is lousy with dumb evangelicals that would eat that poo poo up with a spoon and a smile.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

I. M. Gei posted:

If I remember right, Vic is either an east Texas native or he lives in the area now, right? Or his mom lives here or something?

I was born and raised in ETX. Which means that if Vic dies in Ukraine, my local news is deffo gonna do a piece about him, and I am gonna feel compelled to have a very weird conversation with my dad about who this deceased anime voiceman is and why he is actually bad. Hell they might do one just for him going there to "preach" to the refugees at all; this area is lousy with dumb evangelicals that would eat that poo poo up with a spoon and a smile.

iirc wasn't his story like, "born in a western pennsylvania steel town, went to liberty university because of course he did and also preyed on teenage girls in the evangelical circles the university is linked to, became a funimation star and thus lived in the dallas area"

for all i know he hosed off back to live with mommy in pennsylvania after getting outed

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wasabi the J posted:

It gets worse:

What the loving gently caress

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

You don’t have to talk to your dad about him

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Schubalts posted:

Religion is the opiate krokodil of the masses.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Schubalts posted:

Eastern Washington is a very bad place. It's where all the racist militia crazies from northern Idaho moved to after Ruby Ridge.

Remember the Phineas Priesthood bank bombings?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Namtab posted:

You don’t have to talk to your dad about him
We owe it to our elders to keep them updated about anime.

Also about terrible rapists and abusers.

But mostly about anime.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The less my dad knows about anime and the fact that I watch it, the better.

I just don't want to explain to him how I know who Vic is, although at this point Vic's behavior and lawsuit shenanigans have been enough of a spectacle that I can say I know him from that without even mentioning his VA work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1515534100790083590

The most predictable thing in the world happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
luckily the nft market is crashing