Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dawgstar posted:

I thought Aerith had kind of a long romper dress for the longest time and was a little surprised it was an actual dress.

Sure, but her outfit was still a pink dress with a big pink ribbon in her hair and the first time you meet her she's carrying a basket of flowers, and when you meet her again she's in a church taking care of a garden of flowers. Tifa the first time you meet her, her outfit is a black skirt and elbowpads and she helps you infiltrate the reactor, and then when she joins your party she does the punchies and kickies. But their personalities are Tifa is very much the wallflower (especially with Cloud) while Aeris is way more assertive and sarcastic. And it's not just them, big ol' angry lookin muscle guy with a GUN instead of a hand is probably the biggest softie in the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Sure, but her outfit was still a pink dress with a big pink ribbon in her hair and the first time you meet her she's carrying a basket of flowers, and when you meet her again she's in a church taking care of a garden of flowers. Tifa the first time you meet her, her outfit is a black skirt and elbowpads and she helps you infiltrate the reactor, and then when she joins your party she does the punchies and kickies. But their personalities are Tifa is very much the wallflower (especially with Cloud) while Aeris is way more assertive and sarcastic. And it's not just them, big ol' angry lookin muscle guy with a GUN instead of a hand is probably the biggest softie in the group.

I'm not sure I'd use the term "softie" to describe the vengeance-crazed terrorist who blows up lots of innocent people and shrugs off their deaths.

Now he grows out of all this but I hope you get my meaning.

And I'd say Nanaki is the gentlest person in your party which fits with your argument quite well given hsi fearsome appearance.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

(The reason is because Sephiroth is one of the secret arena bosses)

Him and Kurt Ziza are also like by leaps and bounds the hardest poo poo in the game too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Him and Kurt Ziza are also like by leaps and bounds the hardest poo poo in the game too.

Kurt Zisa is the funniest poo poo in the world to me, hey kid you won a contest to have your name put in this Disney game, he's a loving Weird Superboss who kicks your rear end

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not sure I'd use the term "softie" to describe the vengeance-crazed terrorist who blows up lots of innocent people and shrugs off their deaths.

Now he grows out of all this but I hope you get my meaning.

And I'd say Nanaki is the gentlest person in your party which fits with your argument quite well given hsi fearsome appearance.

RE Barrett wears sunglasses because despite being a big hardass terrorist cell leader he's also got big sparkly kind man eyes

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
At least with regards to how Cloud's character is perceived in the public consciousness, I think there's also an aspect of people attributing the personality traits of other JRPG and anime protagonists of the time to him. This was both around the time when Evangelion and works inspired by it were hitting the North American market and was right in the midst of the Dark Age of comics, so the consumer base for something like FFVII was REALLY into brooding, angsty protagonists and I think that coloured how they tended to interpret Cloud.

Basically there was kind of a trend among western anime and video game fans at the time to overplay the more serious and "badass" elements of shounen/video game protagonists while downplaying their more introspective or goofy traits (see also: All the Dragonball Z AMVs set to Linkin Park songs)

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 24, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I imagine it doesn't help matters that Cloud's "real" personality is hidden pretty deep into the game's story, to the point of being the actual twist of the game. So not only might the casual player never get to see it, the people who have seen it are sort of incentivized to not "spoil" it for anyone else.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

e: ^^ :hfive: also, the double-swerve where he briefly thinks he's not even the real Cloud to begin with but just a clone puppet

Personally I think a lot of it just comes from the first disc of the game where he spends most of his time pretending to be a really cool nihilistic mercenary because his entire personality has been overwritten by his mako-poisoned childhood fantasies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

Personally I think a lot of it just comes from the first disc of the game where he spends most of his time pretending to be a really cool nihilistic mercenary because his entire personality has been overwritten by his mako-poisoned childhood fantasies.

I remember somebody put it that FFVIII's Squall had the personality people thought Cloud had.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I remember somebody put it that FFVIII's Squall had the personality people thought Cloud had.

If people expected more Shinji-like protagonists as KingKalamari said, Squall definitely hits closer to the mark than Cloud.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Alaois posted:

Kurt Zisa is the funniest poo poo in the world to me, hey kid you won a contest to have your name put in this Disney game, he's a loving Weird Superboss who kicks your rear end

I thought the contest was just to name the boss, and naming it after yourself is a power move, especially if your name is Kurt Zisa.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The most I remember from reading and playing the surreality of Final Fantasy 8 was people joking about Squall's many ellipses dot dot dot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez2CjJf6-34

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gwen posted:

if you think the main reference point for ff7 fandom, Advent Children, displays a reasonable character progression from the end ff7 for Cloud or Tifa then I don't know what to tell you

I am probably not understanding the point they were making, true. It read to me like 'the future depictions of the characters doesn't live up to their initial ones so it's garbage and ruins them' like later stuff not being great means you were tricked into liking them in the first place.

I've played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1, Tales from the Borderlands and seen how Rhys and Vaughn are in 3 and I kinda get it. But later examples of things squandering things doesn't really bother me as much I guess maybe?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The weirdest thing about Advent Children is that they managed to get Aeris' personality right in it, like visually they depict her as an angel in heaven but nearly every line she says is playful ribbing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

loving lol

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

NikkolasKing posted:

If people expected more Shinji-like protagonists as KingKalamari said, Squall definitely hits closer to the mark than Cloud.

I didn't think people misread Cloud as Shinji, more like they thought he was a cool badass.

It's probably the cool first impression sticking and the real character showing later.
Compare to MGS2 Raiden who's basically the same character but introduced as a dork who's not Solid Snake and you have a different lasting impression of his character.
Bit also the sequels do change his character for the worse, just so they can repeat his storyline, but that's at least of theme for MGS.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

i love this guy

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Munacat has the same cadence as Sabine Hossenfelder and this is not a knock on either's output as youtubers or people who explain things to people on social media.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I can't believe when talking about KH1's infamously bad voice acting, no one mentioned that Squall was voiced by David Boreanaz with a performance that at best sounded like he was half-awake and usually like he would rather be doing literally anything else.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hel posted:

I didn't think people misread Cloud as Shinji, more like they thought he was a cool badass.

It's probably the cool first impression sticking and the real character showing later.
Compare to MGS2 Raiden who's basically the same character but introduced as a dork who's not Solid Snake and you have a different lasting impression of his character.
Bit also the sequels do change his character for the worse, just so they can repeat his storyline, but that's at least of theme for MGS.

Somebody a talented video essayist will have to make a video on how the game about an evil football paying senator and memes is actually very toxic and unhealthy in its messaging.

You're a child soldier and killer forever, Jack. Pay no mind to the themes of MGS1 and 2 or to how you got two happy endings about leaving the battlefield you were forced into. This is your life forever - blood, death, sadism.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lotus Aura posted:

I can't believe when talking about KH1's infamously bad voice acting, no one mentioned that Squall was voiced by David Boreanaz with a performance that at best sounded like he was half-awake and usually like he would rather be doing literally anything else.
he really did nail it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
KH1’s voice acting was generally fine, it all dropped off a cliff in subsequent entries

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oxxidation posted:

KH1’s voice acting was generally fine, it all dropped off a cliff in subsequent entries

It's hard to top Billy Zane as Ansem

Though I'll say, the replacement voice they got for Sully was a little TOO accurate

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

Somebody a talented video essayist will have to make a video on how the game about an evil football paying senator and memes is actually very toxic and unhealthy in its messaging.

You're a child soldier and killer forever, Jack. Pay no mind to the themes of MGS1 and 2 or to how you got two happy endings about leaving the battlefield you were forced into. This is your life forever - blood, death, sadism.

Armstrong deserved it.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Oxxidation posted:

I can't agree with this when we got Paul St. Peter as Xemnas. That man has a perfect voice.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Oxxidation posted:

The fact that one of the series' main villains has become a kiss of death role for VAs doesn't help. I'm expecting Christopher Lloyd to go anytime now due to this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Draga posted:

I can't agree with this when we got Paul St. Peter as Xemnas. That man has a perfect voice.

his baritone was lovely but his delivery was (and remained) flat as a board

most of the VA’s who could actually inject some life into their readings past the first game were veterans like Lee and Nimoy, who either knew what to do despite the awful direction or had the clout to ignore it completely

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I cannot believe that stupid onesie has an rear end flap that makes you goatse yourself to use it

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

NikkolasKing posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh thing is, Raiden does end on that note in the game but it’s very much framed as him backsliding and overthinking poo poo. Like the ending has him quoting Armstrong and his former support team going “wait what was that” and him doing a hasty “oh nothing it’s nothing”. His faith was kinda shattered in the intro and after everything in the game he still hasn’t really recovered it, which is a dark note to end on but considering Revengeance was originally pitched as a sub series that makes sense, leaves him room to find some new understanding in subsequent games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CmdrKing posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh thing is, Raiden does end on that note in the game but it’s very much framed as him backsliding and overthinking poo poo. Like the ending has him quoting Armstrong and his former support team going “wait what was that” and him doing a hasty “oh nothing it’s nothing”. His faith was kinda shattered in the intro and after everything in the game he still hasn’t really recovered it, which is a dark note to end on but considering Revengeance was originally pitched as a sub series that makes sense, leaves him room to find some new understanding in subsequent games.

But let's say Revengeance 2 had happened...what is the ideal ending for Raiden? He's already had 2 happy endings which were overwritten. The best thing they could do for him is redo what MGS2 and 4 did and which MGR undid. I'm by no means a fan of MGS4 but at least Raiden got back to where he was at the end of 2. He's with the woman he loves and their child and he's ready to move on.

But it's Godfather Part III. Every time it looks like Raiden is out the story pulls him back in to make him even more miserable.

So even if MGR2 had happened and they reversed course on letting Jack live a healthy, happy life, it just be the same thing all over again. So the message would be less awful but the story would be super redundant.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 24, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

his baritone was lovely but his delivery was (and remained) flat as a board

most of the VA’s who could actually inject some life into their readings past the first game were veterans like Lee and Nimoy, who either knew what to do despite the awful direction or had the clout to ignore it completely

It's long been a mark against voice acting in video games that few companies want to pay for an actual director.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It's long been a mark against voice acting in video games that few companies want to pay for an actual director.

the Kingdom Hearts games, like many Square Enix games and a very large number of animes, have a voice director, Bob Bucholtz.

what makes it confusing is that he's voice directed both Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

MSG4 has the a similar problem of messaging though. Raiden's happy ending is living with one of his long term abusers after a single conversation explaining it was for his own good.

Writers for metal gear appear to believe Raiden's agency and happiness are a slider where to gain one he has to lose the others.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

MSG4 has the a similar problem of messaging though. Raiden's happy ending is living with one of his long term abusers after a single conversation explaining it was for his own good.

Writers for metal gear appear to believe Raiden's agency and happiness are a slider where to gain one he has to lose the others.

Absolutely, MGS4 is awful, too.

Chronologically, MGS2 should have been the ending of the whole franchise. Raiden and basically every other character would have benefited from it. In terms of releases, I will permit MGS3 to exist but every other Big Boss game is entirely unnecessary.

Such has been my fantasy canon for many years now....

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Absolutely, MGS4 is awful, too.

Chronologically, MGS2 should have been the ending of the whole franchise. Raiden and basically every other character would have benefited from it. In terms of releases, I will permit MGS3 to exist but every other Big Boss game is entirely unnecessary.

Such has been my fantasy canon for many years now....

Pretty sure that was Kojima's idea, but then he just kept going and going. Probably due to pressure from Konami or the fear of his replacement loving up the series. I remember reading interviews with him saying how he was done after 2, that it was the final chronological entry with 3 serving to flesh out Big Boss and that's gonna be it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Defunctland/status/1506410936181137419
https://twitter.com/defunctland/status/1506833042576396289
https://twitter.com/Defunctland/status/1506833985942474754
As someone who went to Kennywood most of my childhood to like my early 20s this doesn't shock me at all; though I only went on Garfield's Nightmare once and man it's a crime what they did to the Old Mill since it had no fun spooky charm whatsoever.

I bet there will be a punchline how in Pittsburgh "Kennywood's Open" means your fly is open

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The problem with every MGS is that they are all about setting up a new hidden previously unheard of group that was secretly behind it all and the previous group were just chumps. 1 ends on Ocelot talking to the president, 2 to sets up this ancient conspiracy about the philosophers/ the patriots, 3 shows that actually it was just Big Boss's cold War buddies, 4 says it was actually just AI and then 5 says its actually XOF/ Skullface. A lot of MGS 5 is just repeated from MGS 4.

The overt themes of MGS: gene, meme, scene etc. are all about repetition, but it also fit the series because Kojima is mostly just referencing stuff he likes, and repeating the same plot points and set pieces over and over again.
And that's why Survive breaking from that and goes " Endless repetition is bad and engines for that purpose must be destroyed" as you use the MGS5 nanomachines to cancel out the MGS 4 nanomachines that have caused the end of the world in a grey goo scenario.
All the while playing as one of the MSF grunts who were left to die while their Boss hosed off with his friends to start a new business.

I really should get off my rear end and write that piece on why Survive is so interesting that I've been procrastinating on for years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
MGSV at least is intentional in how everything is set up to be part of one large unthinking machine that perpetuates events without any real input. Everyone in the game works for the antagonists in some capacity even if they don't know it and the entire world has been victimized by the manipulation of information and trauma that influences their perceptions of the past and the present. People are reduced to symbols that can be used interchangeably between individuals since the memes and ideas outlive the bodies they originated in.

It's as close to a closing argument on how convoluted the storytelling of MGS is as you can get while still feeling like it's part of the same setting.

Regengeance meanwhile does undo a lot of stuff for Raiden but I'm honestly okay with the war economy system existing past the end of the Patriots. It may not be under Patriot control but humans are creatures of habit. The Boss's will to make a world without borders free of control came true to a degree, but the people who benefitted off of the system run by the Patriots aren't going to give up their power so easily just because some 42 year old geriatric watched his dad kill a human vegetable in Arlington Cemetary

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soup du Jour posted:

I cannot believe that stupid onesie has an rear end flap that makes you goatse yourself to use it

It was funny how he didn't actually get scammed this time.