Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I recall from pregame interviews that Daniel worked on the Jeb Bush campaign which explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I recall from pregame interviews that Daniel worked on the Jeb Bush campaign which explains a lot.

if thats true that is really really funny

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Let's loving gooooooo Lydia

Let's loving GOOOOOOOO HAI

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if thats true that is really really funny

In his introductory video, Daniel, a Cincinnati native who now lives in Connecticut, described himself as “technically a lawyer,” though he currently works as a law clerk for a federal judge in Michigan. According to his LinkedIn profile, this judge for whom Daniel clerked from 2020-2021 was Raymond Kethledge, a George W. Bush-appointed Court of Appeals judge who began his tenure in 2008. Kethledge was widely reported by the press in 2018 to be a top contender for then-President Donald Trump‘s pick to replace Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court. Trump’s pick for the role would eventually go to Brett Kavanaugh.

When asked by EW what real-life secrets he will refrain from telling his fellow castaways, Daniel responded that, though he has made a “strategic decision” to be more or less honest about everything, “the only real thing [which] I will do everything I can to hide is that I am of a classical liberal persuasion.” He added that he has worked for the presidential campaigns of Mitt Romney in 2012 and Jeb Bush in 2016, though when it came to today’s American conservative movement, Daniel said, “it’s a very different world now.”

https://heavy.com/entertainment/survivor/daniel-strunk-republican-politics-season-42/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol well i understand completely his decision making and lack of self awareness now

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okay Jonathan is possibly up there as one of the most impressive physical competitors they've ever had. I think he's equal to Ozzy in terms of strength/water, Ozzy is just more well-rounded since he can still do puzzles.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

loving awesome episode. Strunk threw Chanelle under the bus because he didn't want to draw rocks, and I think it took a whole 0 seconds of looking at Hai to realize he was pissed at how much had been left out, and absolutely not going to change his mind. I do think if Mike activates his idol and gets his vote back that Strunk! might flip, but this tribe is going to implode at the merge.

Strunk! Fun Fact:
https://twitter.com/UptownStrunk/status/1506693884490891264

(also lol at the clout chasing)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Also lmao at risking your vote after telling someone "hey I REALLY need to be safe for this first big vote." That might be the worst decision all season?

Also:

https://twitter.com/giangyhai/status/1506800254397698048

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is that Hai saying he's a bottom?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Well that was the most enjoyable first tribal. Hai’s expressions and incredulous shock at the votes were enjoyable.
Daniel surely has to go next after that performance.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But Jeff
Where are the votes Jeff

Where are the votes

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

The Bloop posted:

But Jeff
Where are the votes Jeff

Where are the votes

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Have Lydia and Hai done something before this week or do people just like them from pre game interviews or podcasts or something? I don’t think I noticed them before tonight.

Hai had that viral moment in episode one where he looked like he was having the time of his life spreading mud and fake blood on his chest.

https://twitter.com/giangyhai/status/1502366599709343752

Plus, I usually always by default root for any gay players, since out of 41 seasons, there have only been two gay winners.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Completely forgot that was Hai with the fake blood, feel like I haven't even seen him since then. He handled that tribal like a complete boss and Daniel folded while blowing up his own game.

e: Forgot to mention Chanelle not choosing to protect her vote, after openly stating to Omar that she absolutely cannot risk her vote on that night. Zero logic!

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 24, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Completely forgot that was Hai with the fake blood, feel like I haven't even seen him since then. He handled that tribal like a complete boss and Daniel folded while blowing up his own game.

He had that moment at the start of last week's episode where he talked about being a vegan, but given that they're given no rice this season, he had to accept that he had to eat crab or whatever, and showed him reluctantly eating the crab.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thank god we got some truly abysmal play in this episode, who the gently caress says "I am willing to fold under the tiniest amount of pressure" at the start of a negotiation and is then shocked that the other person doesn't give them anything. Also this

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Chanelle not choosing to protect her vote, after openly stating to Omar that she absolutely cannot risk her vote on that night. Zero logic!
was an all-time brain fade.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Survivor 42: Where are the votes

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

njsykora posted:

Thank god we got some truly abysmal play in this episode, who the gently caress says "I am willing to fold under the tiniest amount of pressure" at the start of a negotiation and is then shocked that the other person doesn't give them anything.
Four players were drawing rocks and only 1 of them was Hai, so 75% chance Strunk! is on the losing side on that rock draw. Therefore he was right to not want any part of rocks. Maybe Hai would have crumbled though if everyone else on the tribe was pushing him to.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Well that was the most enjoyable first tribal. Hai’s expressions and incredulous shock at the votes were enjoyable.
Daniel surely has to go next after that performance.
He looked like a deer in headlights having a stroke

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Last season didn't feel like the lose-vote gimmicks really went anywhere so I'm glad there were two lost votes here that ended up really screwing over what could be an dominant alliance, the most annoying thing possible in survivor imo.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao at channelle

lmao at daniel

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
This was the most fun episode in quite a while, IMO.

Also, Daniel being a wormy little College Republican makes so much sense.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Jenny's interview with Dalton Ross is pretty good. She gives good insights into the tribe dynamics and more of the tribal council. She says Hai called out Daniel at that TC for playing both sides, and that revelation is duplicity was part of why Daniel was acting so frazzled. Also that her and Hai did not vibe (As an Asian person I was hoping they would preseason but realized very quick they were two very different people and that wasn't going to happen) and that Lydia was afraid of confrontation, running away whenever it would just be the two of them hanging out.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-jenny-kim-interview/

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I work on political campaigns (Biden and Clinton, here) and can confirm that I'd be terrible at playing Survivor too. Daniel is getting so much flack for his spectacular flameout online, but I agree that Channelle risking her vote was objectively hilarious. Like.... what?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Also thinking about last night's episode, has a tribe ever worked as closely as Taku was last night? They literally Idol Hunted as a group and shared the text. They'll be bonkers strong if they make the merge, but uh, what are the tribe dynamics if they have another vote (they don't seem great at puzzles!)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Studio posted:

Also thinking about last night's episode, has a tribe ever worked as closely as Taku was last night? They literally Idol Hunted as a group and shared the text. They'll be bonkers strong if they make the merge, but uh, what are the tribe dynamics if they have another vote (they don't seem great at puzzles!)

Yes, but usually that was in the olden times of survivor

Fast Luck posted:

Four players were drawing rocks and only 1 of them was Hai, so 75% chance Strunk! is on the losing side on that rock draw. Therefore he was right to not want any part of rocks. Maybe Hai would have crumbled though if everyone else on the tribe was pushing him to.

????

Mike and Jenny both tried to convince Hai to flip

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Studio posted:

Maryanne likely goes - Omar/Jonathan have been called out as close, as are Jonathan/Lindsay. Also it's impossible for Jonathan or Lindsay to be voted out if they go to tribal unless the three-way idol gets activated, since only Jonathan and Lindsay can vote on the tribe right now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

curiousCat posted:

????

Mike and Jenny both tried to convince Hai to flip
Yeah but that was after Strunk immediately proclaimed he would never go to rocks (and was openly wavering). I mean if Strunk had presented a strong front despite the fact he’d be stupid to go to rocks, maybe then it would be possible Hai folds.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maryanne likely goes - Omar/Jonathan have been called out as close, as are Jonathan/Lindsay. Also it's impossible for Jonathan or Lindsay to be voted out if they go to tribal unless the three-way idol gets activated, since only Jonathan and Lindsay can vote on the tribe right now.

Solid chance that the idol gets activated next episode or by the time they go to tribal though, which would put Maryanne in a very strong spot on Taku with whatever power the idol has and the extra vote if they don't blindside her.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

They absolutely can go.

I think it's possible Lindsay goes. If they really want to keep those advantages for the merge (Extra Vote, Idol), then Maryanne has to stay. Jon votes Lindsay, Lindsay votes Maryanne, on revote only Jon can vote again. Jon and Omar will likely play like t they have a vote, and I'm very excited for Omar's reaction when he steps in to vote and gets sideswiped by one of the worst survivor moves.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Survivor 42: Where are the votes

They added so many features and gizmos to the game that they accidentally broke tribal council

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

blue squares posted:

Daniel opening up the conversation with "I don't want to go to rocks, I do NOT want to go to rocks" told Hai all he needed to know. Why would he flip when Daniel showed his hand like that?

That's an excellent point that I didn't even consider.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

blue squares posted:

Daniel opening up the conversation with "I don't want to go to rocks, I do NOT want to go to rocks" told Hai all he needed to know. Why would he flip when Daniel showed his hand like that?

bad poker for sure

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
he also flubbed the tribal council, the whole way he was talking made him sound fishy and then he listed people who gave him comfort and it was the whole bigger alliance he was cozying up to.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Hai or Lydia to win please. Absolutely broke their tribe’s majority :neckbeard:

Daniel will probably have to side with them after this performance and Mike still won’t have his vote.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ApplesandOranges posted:

It is an interesting dynamic. Right now Jonathan / LIndsay have all the power. But if the idol gets activated, then Maryanne basically has all the power herself... Although also, Omar has no reason to believe he isn't getting an extra vote the next time he goes to tribal, but instead he won't get to vote at all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dugong posted:

Hai or Lydia to win please. Absolutely broke their tribe’s majority :neckbeard:

Eh, they only had a chance because two people lost their votes through twists. Lydia didn’t do anything. Hai did a good job but it was also the easiest call of all time to tell Daniel no

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah they didn’t break the majority, the majority broke itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

njsykora posted:

Yeah they didn’t break the majority, the majority broke itself.
Finally realizing the potential of their big idea, of having small tribes where a single vote becomes very important and raising the stakes on those shipwheel gambles