Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/20220323/a38673f1f61d4bad81c353e2bdb7030e/c.html

quote:

UNITED NATIONS, March 22 (Xinhua) -- China on Tuesday called on Israel to cease expanding settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory.

"We call on Israel to halt the expansion of settlements, stop the eviction of Palestinians, stop the demolition of Palestinian homes, and create conditions for the development of Palestinian communities in the West Bank, as called for in council resolution 2334," China's permanent representative to the United Nations Zhang Jun told the Security Council briefing on the situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian question.

The ambassador said that "settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territory violate international law, disrupt the contiguity of the occupied Palestinian territory, squeeze the living space of the Palestinian people, and affect the prospects for achieving the two-state solution."

On the security situation, Zhang said that China is concerned about the recent deterioration of the security situation in the occupied Palestinian territory, and deeply saddened by the casualties on both the Palestinian and Israeli sides caused by the violence, especially Palestinian children.

"The protection of children in conflict settings is not an empty slogan, but an unshakable moral responsibility and an international obligation that must be fulfilled. We call for a thorough investigation of the recent violence and for effective accountability," he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1506500322105053184

ngl manmade mountains sounds baller as gently caress even if impractical for their intended purpose

:hoxhapop:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

sleep with the vicious posted:

What's the latest news or theory on the Guangdong plane crash

They found one of the black boxes so maybe we'll have a better idea after they check that out.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1506683984511705089

lmfao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

There was no way these man made mountain costed 50 mil each. Hard labor wage was probably less than 10RMB per month in 1965.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:pusheen:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DiscountDildos posted:

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1506587390927781889?s=20&t=5PELuR8-9JRhLTqsZMV7zA

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1506435216910344193?s=20&t=5PELuR8-9JRhLTqsZMV7zA

She talks more about her thoughts on it downthread. Sounds like Shenzhen is stabilizing. She mentions that shanghai is being too lax though. Not sure what their numbers are like.

update for shenzhen today:

quote:

Updated: 2022-03-23 11:03
Shenzhen reported 18 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, including five asymptomatic infections, yesterday.

Fifteen of the new cases were found among centrally quarantined close contacts of COVID patients reported earlier in the city, another one was detected during screening in key areas and among key groups of people, while the other two were found during the citywide screening in communities.

public transit resumed this week, and most people are back to the office. the system works

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

this is 10x better than turning off the gas. vladamir thank you

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

I always hoped the downfall would be this funny. Please let this be a premonition for a Trump Hillary rematch

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
somebody a few weeks ago said invest in rubles and if they had they really would have bought the dip lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Homeless Friend posted:

somebody a few weeks ago said invest in rubles and if they had they really would have bought the dip lol

same thing if you had invested in chinese tech stocks a few weeks ago when they crashed

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

fart simpson posted:

same thing if you had invested in chinese tech stocks a few weeks ago when they crashed

I actually got my friend to buy some Didi stock after the recent crash, then they crashed again lol

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Me, a genius EU liberal: We're gonna put just completely brutal sanctions on Russia. Yeah, those guys are gonna really hurt. Not oil and gas, though, we'd be totally hosed if we had to stop buying that stuff. Hopefully nobody in russia ever figures out that we really need gas and can't stop buying it!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

fart simpson posted:

. the system works

God I wish that were me

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

30.5 Days posted:

Me, a genius EU liberal: We're gonna put just completely brutal sanctions on Russia. Yeah, those guys are gonna really hurt. Not oil and gas, though, we'd be totally hosed if we had to stop buying that stuff. Hopefully nobody in russia ever figures out that we really need gas and can't stop buying it!

don’t forget the part where you turn around to scream at Africa/Asia for doing it and ensuring the Middle East crashes into hyper famines

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Antonymous posted:

westerners love the term baizuo b/c they love an imagination of the importance of themselves

Some Guy TT posted:

tired: lo-fi chill out piano beats to build a hospital to

wired:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1505650261888765953

also they love when foreigners reference them

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
huh

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

什麼

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
做乜9

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

什么是繁体

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

this is 10x better than turning off the gas. vladamir thank you

It's really funny.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

30.5 Days posted:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

remember when america ASPL'ed australia under "OUR COLLECTIVE VALUES/SECURITY" so the former can snatch more agri trade with china from the latter

definitely never gonna happen with the EU on russian energy

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I always felt xenophobia was our true belief and motivation, capilist gonna burn.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

one can believe multiple things

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

also it’s pretty clear America needs a consistent external threat - or at least the perception of it - to continue to function most effectively, and the people making the decisions just fumbled this one out of the endzone

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Danann posted:

i have a feeling usa is going to have a cold war with russia china and india and wonder why they're losing despite having the whole international community behind the usa

usa doesnt recognize the other on the world stage

they are playing chess against themselves but dont know that there are people waiting with clubs for them to get the hell out

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Top City Homo posted:

usa doesnt recognize the other on the world stage

they are playing chess against themselves but dont know that there are people waiting with clubs for them to get the hell out

somebody gonna find out the hard way of mistaking courtesy as submission

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Juche is the way USSR

USSR should have done the same thing

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah ok, limited to the largest empire in history by percentage of world population: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism#/media/File:Iran-achaemenids_(darius_the_great).jpg

It was the sassanids that began pushing for zoroastrianism or bust.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

The real winner of this war? The DPRK

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I support the DPR and the DPRK

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

i hate rhis piece of poo poo more than kissinger

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was skimming journals for something on contemporary Chinese culture and the PLA, and came across an unrelated passage that I'm still trying to unpack:

Kenneth Scott Latourette, in his still standard history of Christian missions in China, presciently concluded in the 1920s that Christianity could succeed in China only under one of two scenarios. On the one hand, Christianity would have to radically change in its rigidity towards other cultures, a change that took place in Roman Catholicism with Vatican II (now seemingly a short-lived reform) but too late to influence (mainland) China. On the other hand, Chinese culture would have to radically change; that is, no longer be Chinese. Such change did take place during the Cultural Revolution, but as seen in the aftermath of forced conversions to Christianity (as on Canadian and United States reservations for indigenous peoples until the relatively recent revitalization movements), the consequences are frequently a moral vacuum. For the outcome of the Cultural Revolution was an entire generation bereft of culture, with no sense of a past, no promise of a future, and no codes of social and personal behaviour.

That was from 1999. I know it was The End of History, but bold pronouncements that China is a moral vacuum with no future and no codes of social and personal behaviour is still pretty loving wild to see.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Jfc.

"The venal celestial knows nothing of culture or history"

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I was skimming journals for something on contemporary Chinese culture and the PLA, and came across an unrelated passage that I'm still trying to unpack:

Kenneth Scott Latourette, in his still standard history of Christian missions in China, presciently concluded in the 1920s that Christianity could succeed in China only under one of two scenarios. On the one hand, Christianity would have to radically change in its rigidity towards other cultures, a change that took place in Roman Catholicism with Vatican II (now seemingly a short-lived reform) but too late to influence (mainland) China. On the other hand, Chinese culture would have to radically change; that is, no longer be Chinese. Such change did take place during the Cultural Revolution, but as seen in the aftermath of forced conversions to Christianity (as on Canadian and United States reservations for indigenous peoples until the relatively recent revitalization movements), the consequences are frequently a moral vacuum. For the outcome of the Cultural Revolution was an entire generation bereft of culture, with no sense of a past, no promise of a future, and no codes of social and personal behaviour.

That was from 1999. I know it was The End of History, but bold pronouncements that China is a moral vacuum with no future and no codes of social and personal behaviour is still pretty loving wild to see.

I see you have never met an older HKer or Taiwanese person before. This is regularly what i would hear about mainlanders. Its also why that cult dance troupe Shen Yun so happily uses headlines for their shows such as "5000 years of history, preserved!" "See china before communism!" etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ken The Tourettes

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I support the DPR and the DPRK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

ughhhh posted:

I see you have never met an older HKer or Taiwanese person before. This is regularly what i would hear about mainlanders. Its also why that cult dance troupe Shen Yun so happily uses headlines for their shows such as "5000 years of history, preserved!" "See china before communism!" etc.

Yes, the wise China Watchers often speak in hushed tones about queueing for the train: "You see the Cultural Revolution produced a survivor mentality, that's why they are so boorish"

They then ignore any queue in China as it cannot be real.