Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Reading the posts on this page I started wondering if the Ergodox EZ be the Final Solution for me? Split keyboard, supports tenting, thumb keys are closer than the Moonlander and has several keys. Supports QMK firmware so should work with Miryoku, but apparently also has the Home Row Mod builtin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Speaking of home row, is there a good place to get those extra-scooped homing keys you see on some keycap sets? I definitely want them for the DSA set I have coming, but I think it might also be nice for Cherry profile if that's a thing that exists.

Scooped are *usually* only on spherical keycaps but I have an original cherry g80-3000 (cherry profile ofc) that has deeper cylindrical scoops on F and J, so it does exist, just fairly rare

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I was looking at getting a DAS Keyboard 4 Professional with Cherry MX Blues.

Is DAS keyboard still a reputable brand? I recently came around to Blue switches and I want something well build and lowkey (no RGB or bright colors) with a volume knob for under $200.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

CerealKilla420 posted:

I was looking at getting a DAS Keyboard 4 Professional with Cherry MX Blues.

Is DAS keyboard still a reputable brand? I recently came around to Blue switches and I want something well build and lowkey (no RGB or bright colors) with a volume knob for under $200.

I had a das keyboard 4 professional since 2014, replaced it last year due to spilling some wine and some of the switches getting stuck. Decided to get the exact same model. Love it. USB 3.0 hub lets me charge my mx master 3 without leaving the desk. Solid build. Although I opt for brown switches both times.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Saukkis posted:

Reading the posts on this page I started wondering if the Ergodox EZ be the Final Solution for me? Split keyboard, supports tenting, thumb keys are closer than the Moonlander and has several keys. Supports QMK firmware so should work with Miryoku, but apparently also has the Home Row Mod builtin.

It does, the EZ is from ZSA, same as the moonlander, and uses their fantastic Oryx configurator. It's just a UI layer on top of QMK so you could still put raw QMK stuff on your board if you wanted, but there's no reason to. Not only is it incredibly easy to set up any key to any function. Tap, tap and hold, hold, and double tap all can be bound to a single key. Every key can do macros, layer switching, per-key LED's, etc. To top it off, there are thousands of pre-made configs to get you started.

That said, if you like the look of the ergodox, take a look at the redox, it's a slightly modified version that tweaks the thumb keys, moves them closer, and gets rid of some of the indulgent extras. You would lose the oryx support, though. It's one I'm seriously considering too.

https://github.com/mattdibi/redox-keyboard

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

While splits are the topic, last week I got into the Mokulua group buy, aiming to have a second, more portable keyboard for the office.
Only issue seems that if I go for rotary encoders, the included ones would probably be taller than than the DSA profile keycaps I plan to use with.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Nondescript Van posted:

And to think I was doing do well not buying any keeb poo poo for almost 2 years.

NK87 from Novelkeys with the Cherry Stone keyset and TTC Matrix switches.

The Darkshake preorder they have on their site is a really good deal if you're in to that kind of thing.

Ordered an NK87 for my first mechanical, should be here today and keycaps/switches/macropad from Aliexpress hopefully in a couple more weeks.

I didn't even know I needed a new keyboard until a random mechanical keyboard video showed up on my feed, and I decided my 10 year old Microsoft Natural has got to go. I have now watched about 4 hours of keyboard vids, subscribed to 3 people, and went back 50 pages in this thread. Hell, even my wife follows Glarses on Instagram through osmosis.

I woke up in the middle of the night after ordering everything and realised I eat at my desk. Am I going to have to keep the $10 65% that I have beside my server on my desk too????

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Nondescript Van posted:

And to think I was doing do well not buying any keeb poo poo for almost 2 years.

The Darkshake preorder they have on their site is a really good deal if you're in to that kind of thing.

Looking gooood! Is that the glow-in the dark Blumen case color? I almost bought that, but TKL is a bit too big and their 65 seems just a bit too small. If they ever make a 75%, I will fling the brass plate NJ80 I just ordered right out the window.

mewse posted:

Scooped are *usually* only on spherical keycaps but I have an original cherry g80-3000 (cherry profile ofc) that has deeper cylindrical scoops on F and J, so it does exist, just fairly rare

Thanks for the tip! I figured it would probably be rare, but I'm glad to hear it's not completely out of the question. Are there any places other than Signature Plastics to get the DSA scoops as one-offs, for keycap sets that don't come with them?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nondescript Van posted:

these caps are very appealing to me

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The legends are straight off a Model M, looks like, but with low profile and colors. Fuckin' sweet.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I've learned that my finger bones have basically warped around using my old Logitech keyboard for the past 12 years and trying to play games with any other keyboard feels strange as heck. Not sure if I should keep forcing myself to use the new keyboard for games or retain my old keyboard (that may die any second) for them. Something about the G110's smooth keycaps and low profile really pleases me

Edit: actually a makeshift wristrest and using the extended feet seem to have made it much more comfortable to keep my fingers in the WASD position with the Huntsman. maybe these newer keyboards are designed more around using them (so they can sell 40 dollar wrist rests for them)

more edit: also it seems crazy to me that it's razer of all companies that has some of the more reserved RGB lighting for their keyboards lol

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 15, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PeePot posted:

Ordered an NK87 for my first mechanical, should be here today and keycaps/switches/macropad from Aliexpress hopefully in a couple more weeks.

I didn't even know I needed a new keyboard until a random mechanical keyboard video showed up on my feed, and I decided my 10 year old Microsoft Natural has got to go. I have now watched about 4 hours of keyboard vids, subscribed to 3 people, and went back 50 pages in this thread. Hell, even my wife follows Glarses on Instagram through osmosis.

I woke up in the middle of the night after ordering everything and realised I eat at my desk. Am I going to have to keep the $10 65% that I have beside my server on my desk too????

If two of those three people aren't Alex and Apiarykeyboards, they should be. (Their feelings on clones are very strong, just FWI). They do pretty solid once a month or so discussion on what's out there on twitch, it's a great preview of what's available, and what's coming.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

LionArcher posted:

If two of those three people aren't Alex and Apiarykeyboards, they should be. (Their feelings on clones are very strong, just FWI). They do pretty solid once a month or so discussion on what's out there on twitch, it's a great preview of what's available, and what's coming.

They weren't! I did watch a couple of Alex's though while binging. The first video that popped up searching for Apiary was her NK87 review too.

Are there any go-to's for palm rests? All I see are people using blocks of wood, is that actually comfortable or just an aesthetic thing? I'm coming from a Microsoft Natural that's just slightly spongy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Keychron announced the K8 Pro:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k8-pro-qmk-via-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

QMK/VIA compatible for under $100 and wireless is interesting.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I wish there was a bigger focus on quality wired options in that <$100 price segment. Almost every budget board brand targeting baby enthusiasts is all about wireless.

And because I sometimes use it for gaming and it just lives on my desk, my keyboard will always be in wired mode, so I don't give a gently caress about that. I'm glad people who do want that have options, but it's weird that nobody is making cheap boards for people who don't. Every time I see another one of these pop up, I think about how it could have had no hollow battery area and either been $30+ cheaper or had better quality materials and stabs, maybe some case foam, maybe QIA/VIA, etc. Iirc Keychron (bleh) and RK both have a very limited selection of cheap wired versions, but it's like one layout each, and neither of them the ones you'd want.

Novelkeys' Entry series does do the better materials instead angle, but it only comes in TKL or 65% and doesn't have much competition. All the boards I've seen people recommend as "equivalent" alternatives in other formats tend to actually cost 25-50% more.

The Next Time 75 seems to take the other approach, and keep the budget design but lower the price to $50 by removing wireless. Which is appealing even for a barebones DIY kit... until you find out that their software for it is a literal malware delivery vehicle.

Otherwise, wired peeps who care more about latency and build quality than removing one wire can pretty much get hosed if they're shopping in the "budget" segment. Even the NJ80 barebones I settled on has two wireless modes that I paid for and will never use. That could have been a $100 board instead of a $150 board, but I still took it because there wasn't a cheaper wired-only version that met my needs :argh:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 15, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Novelkeys' Entry series does do the better materials instead angle, but it only comes in TKL or 65% and everything people recommend as "equivalent" alternatives in other formats actually costs 25-50% more.

Also ANSI only

gotta have my big enter

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

Keychron announced the K8 Pro:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k8-pro-qmk-via-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

QMK/VIA compatible for under $100 and wireless is interesting.

Ugh. I can't stand they're the ones that keeps doing this, even if they push the overall market downstream (which is a good thing). Still, may end up with a Q2 (with knob) barebones soon. Love my boba u4t's, but I do want to try clicky switches again, and if not, the Q2 is a perfect sized travel board. :shepspends: I wish the icky or the Ginko was still available. Both need to do another run asap. Also, I love XDA, but Cool Kids is such a good keycap set I may end up just getting the originals in cherry profile. shudders.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey thread, the Roccat Suora I've had for nearly 8 years now has started to have a few switches fail. The left CTRL no longer works and a few letters are starting to get iffy as well, I'm in the process of redoing my entire setup so figured it's time to replace it with a smaller board. In the UK though so my options seem a lot more limited than the US unless I want to pay out the rear end for shipping. What are some good sites or options for something like a 60-75% board in the UK? I know Keychron sell through Amazon here but I've also read the thread enough to know their reputation. Also I think their default keycaps are ugly, much as I would like to get into custom caps with a new board at some point I'd rather have something I want to look at until then.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pseudanonymous posted:

I saw the vendors but also artisans but nowhere did it say on such and such a date product will appear on vendors page.

Voynich manuscript keycaps is what I want:

MW Voynich IC page.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115714.0

Sorry I don't check this thread very often lately.
But yes, you cannot buy it yet.

GB = Group Buy
So when they say "GB set for March 21, 2022" they mean that on that date you will be able to place a pre-order for the set.
If you have any other questions, you're welcome to join the discord for immediate answers: https://discord.gg/mUhcgb2
I think you already popped in and asked, but I'm just posting in case you're not the only one.

As for the artisans listed on that page... The set creator collaborated with a few artisan keycap makers to have each of them to come up with at least one cap that compliments the keyset. It is up to the artisan maker to distribute their artisan keycaps however they choose.
Artisan keycaps are typically very limited in number and are therefore most frequently raffled off to entrants or sold (very quickly) on a first come first served basis. You would have to follow each of the artisan makers individually for updates on when their collaborations are going to be raffled.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I need this too 😫 I'm not sure I'd like MW profile, though; also, I can't really seem to find much info on it. I'm guessing it's pretty similar to Cherry/OEM?

The Jnlybean deskmat looks awesome too, but I don't have a place to put one :(

You don't have a desk?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You don't have a desk?

Not a big enough one with enough space left after accommodating a laptop stand and monitor for work :sigh:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Not a big enough one with enough space left after accommodating a laptop stand and monitor for work :sigh:

Yeah, this is not uncommon? I was waiting for you to answer because I thought surely I must be misunderstanding that question, lol

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Thanks for reminding me this set exists. I remember seeing the IC a while ago and as a fan of the Voynich Manuscript, my interest certainly was piqued.

Take note that these are MW keycaps and they're fairly new, so little is known on how good they are with color matching, texture, and stuff. I actually just tried MW Sogurt and waiting for it to get here in Q2 so I at least have an idea how this would look/feel like because the alternatives take like years to get here (Keyreative, GMK).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, this is not uncommon? I was waiting for you to answer because I thought surely I must be misunderstanding that question, lol

Put the desk mat over your whole desk and the laptop stand can just sit on top of it

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Deciding whether to get printed or blank keycaps on a Moonlander. Apart from the aesthetics the difference is that the blank ones are sculpted.

How much of a difference does that make ergonomically?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
That Voynich set GB is live

https://cannonkeys.com/products/gb-mw-voynich

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

beat me to it.

ah that's too bad.
I really wish they'd bring back mini-mats. I have a smaller mat from novelkeys B-stock and it's fantastic to just roll up and stuff in my work bag.

GMK Birch was going to have a 350x510mm deskmat that would have been PERFECT but they got cancelled for lack of interest.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

for fucks sake posted:

Deciding whether to get printed or blank keycaps on a Moonlander. Apart from the aesthetics the difference is that the blank ones are sculpted.

How much of a difference does that make ergonomically?

Having gone from OEM to DSA recently, I was surprised how easy it was to adapt to non-sculpted keycaps. The bigger factor is the shape of the top of the keycap IMO (spherical, flat, cylindrical and how much so), as well as size of surface on the keycap. But like everything in this hobby, you really don't know until you've tried unfortunately, and so the best case is to find a friend or store willing to let you try things out. Otherwise, make an educated guess and you will have a lifetime to make these small tweaks :hai:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

beat me to it.

ah that's too bad.
I really wish they'd bring back mini-mats. I have a smaller mat from novelkeys B-stock and it's fantastic to just roll up and stuff in my work bag.

GMK Birch was going to have a 350x510mm deskmat that would have been PERFECT but they got cancelled for lack of interest.

It's cherry profile right? sigh.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Argh, time to have this set sit in the cart for a month before finally deciding whether to go for it

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
I’m about halfway done with this BFO-9000 build

Some notes:

It takes a lot of tuning to print a plate. Plate is neon black fluorescent PLA. 3mm thick, with a bevel to 1.5mm to improve switch retention.

It’s a real pain finding a 108 key all 1U dsa keycap set and it take forever on aliexpress to ship. I won’t have them for at least another month. It’s going to look and feel a little weird with two mis-matched OEM profile sets.

These Boba black U4 switches feel really nice.

I messed up the reset switch on the other half, and I have to wait for another one. I wish they shipped a spare, it’s flimsy and costs nothing.

I’m looking forward to having fun with 3-d printing a case

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

If you like the spring weight and feel of those boba blacks but want RGB later or in another build (black looks clean as hell with that BFO), Gazzew currently has the switch components in stock to DIY yourself a set of custom clear tops with the same 55g springs. When I asked about it he recommended doing 62g in stab keys and 55g everywhere else, so that's what I'm gonna do. Super excited for everything to come in.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I need a keyboard that has the following options:

-bluetooth
-Compact but has dedicated arrow keys
-Has a function row but doesn't need to be dedicated (i.e. it can be an alternate mode for the number row)
-some kind of tactile switch like clears or browns

What are my options? Amazon has a bunch of Keychrons that fit the bill but I've never used that brand.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Keychron are fine quality but some people have found their support severely lacking if something does go wrong.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's about 50/50 that the bluetooth won't work. If you insist on buying keychron do it through Amazon, test it, and if the bluetooth gives you issues then return it immediately. Any attempt to contact Keychron's "customer service" will be a waste of your time.

tbh the correct answer is still if you want a mechanical keyboard you need to deal with it having a wire. If it's to carry around with a tablet there are some pretty drat nice tiny scissor switch keyboards for cheap.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The use case is in my living room to occasionally use with a MiSTer when I need to do any configuration that I can't do with a controller.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: nevermind

mes
Apr 28, 2006

For that use case would a Logitech K380 suffice? I have one to occasionally use to write emails and texts on my phone and iPad and it works well enough.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

-bluetooth
-Has a function row but doesn't need to be dedicated (i.e. it can be an alternate mode for the number row)

What are my options? Amazon has a bunch of Keychrons that fit the bill but I've never used that brand.

Probably not what you're after but I wanted to take the opportunity to let everyone know that this exists:
https://store.aeternus.co/collections/group-buys/products/march-2022-bundle?variant=41289214656692

You have to build it yourself, but for $250 it comes with everything you need: Board / plate / pcb / battery / switches / stabilizers / keycaps / carrying case.
While it will work without it, I highly recommend getting the bluetooth dongle as well. Running in dongle mode will double your battery life and also solve any odd pairing issues you might run into.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

-bluetooth

https://www.amazon.com/ROYAL-KLUDGE...109&sr=8-5&th=1

This would probably work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I've never owned/held a Royal Kludge but the few friends I've recommended them to have been pretty happy, though they were mostly coming from 8+ year old Corsair keyboards and just wanted "cheap, browns, media controls, and reasonably built."

One complained about the RGB lighting but you can turn that off completely.