Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!

mistermojo posted:

lol I'm on a work call and one guy is sitting in a cubicle when pretty much everyone else, including the managers and CEO, are working from home. so I guess he just goes to the empty office to sit in a depressing beige room all by himself

tbf I wouldn't mind going into the office more if I was assured I would be the only one there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You don't even need to sit around and spitball about actual mortality numbers or possible future impacts of present infections. The actual (whitewashed) numbers as presented, ~500K deaths every year with little or no mitigation shown between one year without vaccines and the next with, is an utter horror show.

That puts covid by itself at around four times the next leading cause of death (accidental injury) and makes covid deadlier than anything else in the human experience except for natural end of life events.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Greg Legg posted:

There's that one the army is developing that is supposed to do this. It's going to be a few years though.

Unfortunately, it's not. There's nothing about the Army one that makes it sterilizing, or any more effective than the ones already on the market against any particular strain. The distinguishing factor for it is that it has the ability to express a whole bunch of different covid spikes simultaneously, which would potentially allow it to induce a broad spectrum of immune response against multiple variants.

It doesn't address the rapid waning of the immune response or the fact that vaccination doesn't result in sterilizing protection.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Kinda getting to the point where if nothing is going to get better, why not give up and go about things like normal tbh

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!

U-DO Burger posted:

this last month has been such a shitshow. just off the top of my head

1. Impact Research releases a memo saying the dems can win the midterms by declaring victory over covid (https://punchbowl.news/wp-content/uploads/IMPACT-COVID-positioning-strategy-memo.pdf)

2. CDC gets the memo and rewrites the community transmission guidelines so that high transmission is actually low transmission now. Masks are now only recommended when cases have already reached critical mass. All states drop mask mandates almost immediately.

3. Ezekial Emmanuel, a man who once wrote on op-ed about why it's good for society when old people die earlier, releases a roadmap for living with covid. (https://www.covidroadmap.org/) The roadmap claims that we are approaching endemicity, and we will have achieved it when we reach fewer than 60,000 deaths per year from covid, RSV, and flu combined. (we are already over 20,000 dead from COVID this month) The roadmap calls for a ton of vaccine research and for free covid treatment.

4. biden announces a test to treat program where people can get free covid testing, and free covid treatment if they test positive

5. congress drops all federal funding for covid, completely killing the goals outlined in the roadmap, and the test to treat program, while making our already useless CDC community transmission map even worse

Going to (safely) show this to the people in my life (mildly)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Whoolighams posted:

Kinda getting to the point where if nothing is going to get better, why not give up and go about things like normal tbh

go for it, there are no laws stopping you from doing so anymore

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Whoolighams posted:

its not going to get better. adapt.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Love that my work just sent out a "safety program" that I have to return a signed acknowledgement of. Like everything it's poorly written but includes the line "respirators are used only in the paint booth area."

I'm guessing I should probably order a case of Auras and start sourcing a Corsi Cube.

Speaking of Corsi Cubes, how noisy are they?

Apr 7, 2003

Whoolighams posted:

I'd kind of like to do things at some point in the future with a reasonable level of health and with my wife not dead

It's been two years, I'll wait.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Love that my work just sent out a "safety program" that I have to return a signed acknowledgement of. Like everything it's poorly written but includes the line "respirators are used only in the paint booth area."

I'm guessing I should probably order a case of Auras and start sourcing a Corsi Cube.

Speaking of Corsi Cubes, how noisy are they?

as noisy as a box fan

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Whoolighams posted:

Because then you might be dead or disabled for life within 2 weeks.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!

Whoolighams posted:

Can't spell "we have to stop living in fear" without "we have to stop living"

Apr 7, 2003

Gio posted:

its not going to get better. adapt.

We've beaten pandemics in the past and moved on from them.

Thing is we did it over timespans longer than six weeks and people back then didn't have capital overriding their survival instincts with 24/7 propaganda.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
i guess no one is going to stop punching me in the dick might as well stop wearing a cup

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Whoolighams posted:

Rolling the dice every time, and the one time you hit snake eyes it equals either horrible ventilator death or long term disability.

Living life like it's 2019 is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Whoolighams posted:

I'm not giving up, but I'm also preparing to live with covid forever. That means I'll go to a movie theater or a concert, as long as my respirator stays on the whole time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lol Eric Adams is rolling back vaxx mandates just in time to let Kyrie Irving play in the playoffs

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

mawarannahr posted:

if something like TB made a resurgence how would we handle it? would people voluntarily mask up out of fear in places where mandates are banned?

:rubby:

Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol Eric Adams is rolling back vaxx mandates just in time to let Kyrie Irving play in the playoffs

Every sports radio outlet in New York has been screaming at him to do exactly this since he was elected.

Paying for a media narrative works.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Eh I was just depressed posting, I'm still going to wear my P100 everywhere and keep my HEPA filters running. Survival is defiance

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I remember literally telling people, a few months in, “yeah, it kind of sucks, but it’s just a few months. now, if we were talking two years, then I’d probably start thinking about killing myself because gently caress, who wants to live like that?” now I’m not feeling like that today but I really expected more from everyone.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vox Nihili posted:

Just after the owner of the Mets donated $1.5 million to him

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Chamale posted:

I wrote about this in the last thread, this was my answer:

I would say the pandemic is over when covid kills and disables no more people than a typical flu season, and isn't at risk of coming back. Here are some ways that could happen:

1) Covid cases are brought to zero everywhere
2) A 100% effective vaccine that doesn't wear off is introduced
3) A highly effective cure is discovered that can be cheaply mass-produced
4) A cross-reactive variant with a very low fatality rate outcompetes all other variants (Omicron's fatality rate is ten times too high to be the "vaccine variant")
5) A major drought-induced famine happens and covid becomes the least of our problems

That's very helpful and more or less what I was looking for, thank you

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whoolighams posted:

Eh I was just depressed posting, I'm still going to wear my P100 everywhere and keep my HEPA filters running. Survival is defiance

I won't be wearing my FF-400 to the strip club, but I'll be wearing my 7500.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Chamale posted:

I'm not giving up, but I'm also preparing to live with covid forever. That means I'll go to a movie theater or a concert, as long as my respirator stays on the whole time.

yeah I’m thinking of going to a show in May, is this the suicidality kicking in? I like Jenny Hval though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5t67EYrsTTw

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Iron Crowned posted:

"respirators are used only in the paint booth area."

holy loving poo poo it begins

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I remember literally telling people, a few months in, “yeah, it kind of sucks, but it’s just a few months. now, if we were talking two years, then I’d probably start thinking about killing myself because gently caress, who wants to live like that?” now I’m not feeling like that today but I really expected more from everyone.

It could be a matter of months now, today, if we committed to an actual lockdown, arrival quarantines and departure testing, testing and lockdowns for outbreaks, and relaxing mRNA vaccine patents.

We just don't want to, because 500k deaths a year is preferable.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

mawarannahr posted:

Lol I have a distinct memory of telling my girlfriend "it's possible we're only halfway through this!"... in September 2020

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Chamale posted:

Gives people time to customize their respirators into cyberpunk perma-helms that make boomers mad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It could be a matter of months now, today, if we committed to an actual lockdown, arrival quarantines and departure testing, testing and lockdowns for outbreaks, and relaxing mRNA vaccine patents.

like the fact that we've had international flights at all, let alone the amount we've had in the past two years, is so loving crazy.

First Step of Any Pandemic: Everyone stay on the continent they are currently on

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

xiaoren posted:

holy loving poo poo it begins

Again, everything is poorly worded as usual, so I"m hoping intention was "only required," but I'm wearing this sucker until they write me up.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The CDC Data Tracker website has been broken for 24 hours :(

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

welp, wife’s rapid test is positive

I have a sore throat

:(

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Pillowpants posted:

The CDC Data Tracker website has been broken for 24 hours :(

Lol "broken". You can't track data that isn't real!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

An idea I was thinking about is either cyborg lungs, or just the lungs of a different kind of animal like an arachnid booklung

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Insanite posted:

welp, wife’s rapid test is positive

I have a sore throat

:(

Mildly sore???

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

An idea I was thinking about is either cyborg lungs, or just the lungs of a different kind of animal like an arachnid booklung

$500 million in funding granted

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Whoolighams posted:

Things might at some point get better if we get another medical miracle (mRNA vaccines already being one medical miracle). A vaccine that provides lifelong protection, or at least protection measured in years rather than months, that would qualify. Some kind of prophylactic drug that was readily available and safe to take on a chronic basis, that would also work.

But if you're waiting for that, be prepared to wait for years, with no guarantee your savior will ever arrive. Those things may never happen.

The option I'm going with is to adapt my life and live as best I can while maintaining protection against covid. I am not a bunker hermit - I work in person, I visit friends and family, I go to the gym, I do in-person shopping, all that kind of thing. But I wear a P100 rated respirator religiously. It does not come off when I'm sharing air with people, period. I have not breathed one single breath of unfiltered shared air in about four months, not since Thanksgiving.

Barring a miracle as I described above, I'll never swim again, or eat inside a restaurant, or drink water when I'm in the gym or at my workplace. With these restrictions in mind, I live my life. You will stand out. You have to be okay with that. The only alternatives are to bunker down indefinitely or to risk catching covid.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

How do animal reservoirs play into this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!
I've prepared for endemic covid by buying guns