Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I forgot the pin to my contactless card about... five years ago or something and I haven't gotten round to asking them to replace it. So I haven't used contactless other than very briefly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

That's actually nuts. It's not like you can just go without. I've weirdly never had any issues getting my repeat prescriptions within a few days of putting them in. Maybe I've just been lucky, maybe standards are just very patchy across the country. Still, I always have made sure I order a smidge more than I need so I can built up a stockpile, and no one will ever convince me it's not an extremely prudent thing to do.
Last time my partner picked up her levothyroxine the pharmacist told her she’s not getting any more until she gets blood work done again and it’s like: do you realise it has not been possible to get a GP appointment for 2+ years? The surgery is never physically open, and if you call them the frankly abusive woman answering the phone is almost gleeful to inform you they’ve got no appointments, but you’re welcome to join the phone queue tomorrow at 8:30 (and lol if you can’t because of work).

The last surgery she was at forcibly de-registered her when they found out we’d moved; everywhere is quite transparently trying to avoid seeing patients as much as possible, and while it might charitably be blamed on lack of funding and COVID the reality on the ground is still that there is effectively no non-emergency healthcare anymore.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

I forgot the pin to my contactless card about... five years ago or something and I haven't gotten round to asking them to replace it. So I haven't used contactless other than very briefly.

contactless doesnt use the PIN number though

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

contactless doesnt use the PIN number though

You need to use the card once with a PIN before you can use contactless, and get <x> contactless uses before having to verify again with PIN where <x> is somewhere between about 5 and some much bigger number determined by some weird "security" algorithm.

(This doesn't apply to NFC contactless on phones/smart watches or other virtual-card applications)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I literally went a year without handling cash at all because all the shops started encouraging contactless because of covid. Even now I basically only use it for sub-£10 purchases and even then only if the shopkeeper doesn't hold out the reader first.

I can absolutely believe you could exist in London without ever using cash at all, even before the pandemic. When I was down there even bar staff were sometimes visibly surprised when I handed them a tenner. Everyone apparently dings their card for everything now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You need to use the card once with a PIN before you can use contactless, and get <x> contactless uses before having to verify again with PIN where <x> is somewhere between about 5 and some much bigger number determined by some weird "security" algorithm.

(This doesn't apply to NFC contactless on phones/smart watches or other virtual-card applications)

That, yes. It stopped working, I forgot the pin, and never used it again lol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I can absolutely believe you could exist in London without ever using cash at all, even before the pandemic. When I was down there even bar staff were sometimes visibly surprised when I handed them a tenner. Everyone apparently dings their card for everything now.

Most small shops preferred cash (or didn't even have card readers), now I can think of only one (my local chippy) who give you even the mildest flak about contactless even for a couple of quid. I have to admit it still feels weird paying in not-cash at a pub, just because waving a lengthwise-folded tenner is still to me the universal sign for attracting the bar staff's attention.

(It's also a problem for me because I used to prefer paying cash for everything just because it made for a much easier to notice barometer of how fast I was pissing through my pay, to the point when in more straitened times I'd literally just withdraw all the cash I could afford to spend for the month and once that was gone, it was gone - it was a very much needed dose of discipline)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Take monopoly money to the pub with you and throw some away every time you pay contactless to monitor and regulate your spending.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Take monopoly money to the pub with you and throw some away every time you pay contactless to monitor and regulate your spending.

Actually, that's not a bad idea for some people I know who think contactless is 'free money' and get a huge shock every month. (Though you could shove it in an envelope or something for reuse rather than binning it.)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Or there should be an app on your phone that makes your screen look like an actual wallet. Before you go to the pub you "withdraw" some money into it and when you pay contactless the tenners or whatever disappear out of it. If you spend it all out locks you out of the app until you've done like a few hundred yards travel to represent having to go to the cash machine and get more out

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also the first draft of my shocking reveal post was actually going to be copying a story my old boss used to love telling about the place he lived in but I couldn't get the phrasing right, and Alan Partridge was playing on my telly so I went with that instead.

In the interests of completeness and just because I like the story, here it is anyway. So although London-born he wanted to move away somewhere quiet. He found a little place in Barlby, in Yorkshire, and when he asked him about local amenities the estate agent, perhaps worried this fancy Londoner would be worried about being so far from the bright lights, told him - with lowered voice and furtive lean in - that he could get "anything he wanted" in "the shop in town".

It took him a few attempts to unravel that "town" is what everyone in Barlby called Selby, because why would they need to use its name when this throbbing metropolis of 20k people could be the only possible destination for all your urban needs. Likewise "the shop" was what they all called the retail jewel in the crown of this great Gotham, Wetherell's Department Store. I'm actually overjoyed that it apparently still exists, and am still genuinely charmed at the idea that there are places in this country where people would explode like an angler fish bought to the surface if they were even to experience Trago Mills, let alone an actual modern shopping environment.

From this morn but this has many parallels to my own childhood in Newtownards. Though the town has much changed today, Wardens remains the fancy place for when you must purchase the good homewares, and was spoken of with hushed reverence by my granny's generation, as if they still couldn't quite believe that mere rabble like themselves were permitted to enter such hallowed and austere halls, nevermind afford any product therein.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Skewmorphism is back.

I will not be fixing the spelling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You get that with boro too, normally "in town" means boro center where all the shopping centers are (three, no less) but you go to one of the satellite towns south of it and "town" means "the big road with some shops on, possibly the lidl if you are so bold"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Or there should be an app on your phone that makes your screen look like an actual wallet. Before you go to the pub you "withdraw" some money into it and when you pay contactless the tenners or whatever disappear out of it. If you spend it all out locks you out of the app until you've done like a few hundred yards travel to represent having to go to the cash machine and get more out

Reload the wallet by booping it on the contactless reader at a cash point. Perfect.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You can have different skins for the wallet, with photos of loved ones cribbed from your photos. I don't know how to do the out of date condom though

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

You can do exactly that with revolut. It's amazing. Especially if you travel. You can make your card useless without your phone or treat it like a debit card with as little or as much cash in it as you want.

Dm me if anyone wants a referral code. I'm not sure what you get for using one but something I guess.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Revolut is extremely handy, although I mostly just use it for settling up for dinners, or small jobs with tradesmen or whatever.

Some of my mates use the Vaults function, where I guess it skims a few cents off your transactions and adds that to different vaults called like "new fridge" or "holiday" or whatever, to help you save for different things. Personally I prefer just having one pile of money that I keep loose track of, but it's definitely useful savings psychology for lots of people.

E: Revolut also very handy to create virtual cards, useful when you're doing things like signing up for YouTube premium via an Indian VPN to get it for a fiver per year

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Doesn't look like it looks like a wallet with pictures of money disappearing? Which is the whole point. 0 stars

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

The image I get from people working in the NHS is that it isn't completely hosed in the same way some people like to claim.
It absolutely is hosed though. I just found out my friend had an eating disorder relapse (due to stress caused by the DWP) last year, and was sent from Oxfordshire, where we live, to loving York. There are no other facilities in between. And she still had to wait a month to get in.

Even five years before the pandemic, before the Societal Collapse We Are All Pretending Isn't A Collapse, you had to wait 6 months to get CBT, and then if that didn't work 6 weeks of counselling, and then if that didn't work, guess you either take zombification grade meds or just die.

Also if at any point you miss an appointment, nobody chases it up with you. Provisions in this country are a complete shitshow and the people left trying to drag the carcass along are the people i'd be least willing to listen to.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That's actually genuinely a good idea and you should go find someone with ludicrous trousers to give you a couple of billion quid for it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NOBODY STEAL

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I will steal NJAN99s wallet, but I draw the line at stealing the idea.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You get that with boro too, normally "in town" means boro center where all the shopping centers are (three, no less) but you go to one of the satellite towns south of it and "town" means "the big road with some shops on, possibly the lidl if you are so bold"

I think you’ll find Redcar is quite a lot more than a big road with some shops on, mister :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I think you’ll find Redcar is quite a lot more than a big road with some shops on, mister :colbert:

In that it isn't a road since they pedestrianized it and most of the shops are shut, yes :v:

Market day is still alright though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is there a way to make a phone physically heavier as the night progresses and you end up with loads of change and then your trousers fall down?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It absolutely is hosed though. I just found out my friend had an eating disorder relapse (due to stress caused by the DWP) last year, and was sent from Oxfordshire, where we live, to loving York. There are no other facilities in between. And she still had to wait a month to get in.

Even five years before the pandemic, before the Societal Collapse We Are All Pretending Isn't A Collapse, you had to wait 6 months to get CBT, and then if that didn't work 6 weeks of counselling, and then if that didn't work, guess you either take zombification grade meds or just die.

Also if at any point you miss an appointment, nobody chases it up with you. Provisions in this country are a complete shitshow and the people left trying to drag the carcass along are the people i'd be least willing to listen to.

Yeah, I did say mental health stuff was one of the parts that isn't up to scratch

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Been howling for hours at Glinner. Yes, we "took" your family from you. We gunned them down in the street as retribution for your weapons-grade transphobia. Not that after a full 16 years of marriage and two kids, you managed to be such a monomaniacal wanker about it that they just hosed off because you wouldn't wind your neck in. If I went on an unbroken racist rant for the better part of a decade I imagine some people I know would stop having anything to do with me, but it wouldn't be because some black kids "took" anyone from me by posting at me on Twitter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

For example, it has the least-used station in the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QCB6UdlnVw

(And it was only through this video that I found out I'd been confusing Redcar and Port Talbot all my life, which thankfully never resulted in any kind of amusing situations)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If youse haven't watched the caelan conrad videos I would again recommend them because apparently the terfs are all reading books that basically say that when your kid is being trans that is an alternate personality put there by a cult and they aren't really your kid.

Genuinely hosed up and it has left me wondering whether or not he thinks that there is literally a devil cult out there brainwashing his family away from him or something.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For example, it has the least-used station in the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QCB6UdlnVw

(And it was only through this video that I found out I'd been confusing Redcar and Port Talbot all my life, which thankfully never resulted in any kind of amusing situations)

They put the slidey gates in recently, it used to have a choppy gate but they took it out for some reason.

I honestly thought the nearby saltburn was the least used in the area but the works stop makes sense given that almost nobody works there any more.

It's weird that the train even stops there honestly.

E: oh and the air raid siren is the chemical siren, it goes off when there's a chemical leak from the works and also they test it every so often.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 24, 2022

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, the whole automatically deregistering you from practices is super hosed too, because (at least here) it is incredibly difficult to get registered at a new practice since they only take so many new patients on a week and you needed to be there at a set time on a set day to do it. Which obviously turns out to be a problem if you need a prescription after you've moved, or for example there's a pandemic and data to do with vaccination is tied to your GP practice but you haven't been able to register at a new one as happened to friends.

My partner and I have both pretty much given up trying to get appointments for minor things/mental health stuff that is liveable or at least, liveable right now. The tone from the surgeries we're each registered at is pretty much emergencies only, which is understandable but no idea how things get pulled back to anything more normal without way more money and staff. I feel increasing numbers of people are going to start getting serious problems where regular checkups or checks on minor things that would stop them becoming major simply aren't happening. :smith:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there a way to make a phone physically heavier as the night progresses and you end up with loads of change and then your trousers fall down?

Thinking about it, which is hard, I seen to recall contact less and chip and PIN and everything loving up charities as loose change became a thing of the past. My wallet app will make loose change a faff again, as you have to spend tenners and twenties and change clutters your screen.

A simple tap and swipe clearing it out of the way and off to your charity of choice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Genuinely hosed up and it has left me wondering whether or not he thinks that there is literally a devil cult out there brainwashing his family away from him or something.
"The past century of gender science was a plot. Possibly even a plot by the Jewish doctors. The only safe havens are conspiracy blogs. Also you're in a cult, not me."

Ms Adequate posted:

Been howling for hours at Glinner.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If youse haven't watched the caelan conrad videos I would again recommend them because apparently the terfs are all reading books that basically say that when your kid is being trans that is an alternate personality put there by a cult and they aren't really your kid.

They put the slidey gates in recently, it used to have a choppy gate but they took it out for some reason.

I honestly thought the nearby saltburn was the least used in the area but the works stop makes sense given that almost nobody works there any more.

E: oh and the air raid siren is the chemical siren, it goes off when there's a chemical leak from the works and also they test it every so often.

Does it stop there? I thought it usually just breezed past these days. I love that alarm too, every Tuesday it used to go off when I lived there anyway and it was great for pretending the End Times Were Coming (sooner than they actually are). Even better when it's a real alarm, and the flare stacks they burn off dangerous poo poo with are lighting up the sky a fierce, flickering orange. It's a bit of a shithole but I'm not sure I'd have had anywhere else as my starting zone to be honest.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mumsnet is terrified of the area, so that's a bonus.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember if they mention it or not, but basically it's a right pain to just delete a station - you need to rejig timetables, signalling, etc and may even need an Act of Parliament depending on exactly when the station was opened, so these sort of ghost stations can persist for ages.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just had a 90 minute powercut here and it turns out even the little tiny shop by my lovely council estate is mostly dependent on contactless since the pandemic because none of us could buy anything lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Mumsnet is terrified of the area, so that's a bonus.

https://twitter.com/obviousplant_/status/1458856224800210945?lang=en

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Other fun railway fact I know about north yorkshire is that apparently they were once considering running some kind of insane tunnel system through the cliff-edge between loftus and whitby.

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels/whitbyloftus.html

Look at this loving thing:

Which looks like this on the satellite image:

They apparently did build parts of the tunnels near kettleness but I just can not imagine how the gently caress they could have run a train under some of the most unstable coastline in the country. Like that looks like they're be running the railroad literally on the beach??

Jakabite posted:

Does it stop there? I thought it usually just breezed past these days. I love that alarm too, every Tuesday it used to go off when I lived there anyway and it was great for pretending the End Times Were Coming (sooner than they actually are). Even better when it's a real alarm, and the flare stacks they burn off dangerous poo poo with are lighting up the sky a fierce, flickering orange. It's a bit of a shithole but I'm not sure I'd have had anywhere else as my starting zone to be honest.

The flare stack is great yeah when they're really blasting it and you are at, like, the top of ormesby bank and it's a cloudy night, and it looks like someone opened a portal to hell in middlesbrough, which granted you might be forgiven for thinking had already happened, but the clouds lit underneath by a flickering orange that you can see from a dozen miles away is pretty great.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 24, 2022

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The actual flares themselves are MASSIVE too, if you’re close enough to see the flame itself. They really look like they’re half or more the height of the stacks themselves.

You might have posted them so sorry if I missed them, but did you ever take photos of the Dorman Long tower before the loving BASTARDS knocked it down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I didn't, I wanted to but I could never find anywhere to get a decent one and I don't have a proper camera with a lens, so it would always have been just a small bit poking over other buildings.

You could see it quite well when driving but you can't really pull over on the A66 for a photo.

Only other option would have been trying to snap it from the train and I didn't want to spend money going back and forward on the train to get photos.

Never got to see it close up, unfortunately, as it's on the actual site afaik and I don't think they just let you in if you say you're nosy.

The ICI tower is still there though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 24, 2022