Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
The ///Madness E9X collection on P Car Market has completed as of today. The speed yellow E92 w/ 6k miles sold for $145k, not sure of commission fees. I’d bet this sets a new high mark for the chassis.

E:f,b & terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lmao, I have to assume this is the collection that LZ was storing at the compound?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'll be at the CCA's MX1 at the South Carolina plant in a couple of weeks in the 2. Can't get EITHER of my friends with 335is [yes, 335is(es)] to come up so its just me and a diesel f30 buddy. Let's goon meet if anyone else is coming.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The 700 mile CRT E90 went for $174,500

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/700-mile-2012-bmw-m3-crt-lightweight-sedan/

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:piss:

I didn’t know that existed but now I want it (with a stick)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang I didn't know they made a critical race theory M3.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

I'll be at the CCA's MX1 at the South Carolina plant in a couple of weeks in the 2. Can't get EITHER of my friends with 335is [yes, 335is(es)] to come up so its just me and a diesel f30 buddy. Let's goon meet if anyone else is coming.

Has anyone done the tour of that factory? My aunt lives sorta nearby, I may be out in that area this summer.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

TheBacon posted:

Okay buy an S65 instead

I am here to remind you that this is in fact a Correct Answer.

This is from yesterday after a quick spray down. This is eleven years old. After ~5 months of hibernation I was able to get it out this week for smogging/registration. It was also the first time out on my brand new set of PS4S tires. The others were reaching their due date. There is no tire slip and the turn in is out of control.

I have fortunately overcome my fever for a newer Land Cruiser that had me considering selling this to fund such a beast. This one is staying with me forever (unless someone pays be a six figgy number for it)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Mine were a little (lot) worse than that when I replaced them last January right before tires became impossible to get in these sizes... the "Whoops I did another donut, all I did was look at the throttle" transition to new PS4's & suddenly massive grip is interesting, but I still get easy 3rd gear chirps which is satisfying.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
My I4 is currently docked in Belgium getting ready to set sail to the beautiful port of Baltimore. Scheduled to arrive on April 11th then I guess probably another week or so before it gets delivered to the dealership. :jackbud:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Fired up the E39 last weekend and knew there was a CEL when I stored it, so figured I had to dig in on that. I pulled the code (cat left bank), drove it for about an hour, and was getting ready to schedule an appointment at the shop when I noticed it had cleared.

Still need to take it in for an oil change and onceover and I'm considering getting the paint fixed. Clearcoat is fading badly and it's got a lot of pitting and small gravel chips. I guess I could wrap it instead.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I also have paint/clearcoat issues of the same nature, if you end up getting it fixed let me know where you went and if they're any good.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

If you just pop the coolant cap off to check the level but don’t add anything, do you still need to bleed the coolant system?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Lord Ludikrous posted:

If you just pop the coolant cap off to check the level but don’t add anything, do you still need to bleed the coolant system?

No

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What’s the deal with 3 series convertibles? How do they handle compared to their sedan counterparts?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Head Bee Guy posted:

What’s the deal with 3 series convertibles? How do they handle compared to their sedan counterparts?

I think that’s going to vary based on generation, the last 3 series convertible was E93 and so at that age it’s probably going to weigh more on upkeep for any of them.

They are going to hold weight differently, but the rear firewall will provide similar rigidity. Just talking generally. I am sure E30/46/90 are going to have their own more specific details.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I think that’s going to vary based on generation, the last 3 series convertible was E93 and so at that age it’s probably going to weigh more on upkeep for any of them.

They are going to hold weight differently, but the rear firewall will provide similar rigidity. Just talking generally. I am sure E30/46/90 are going to have their own more specific details.

I assume OP meant 3/4 series, not to exclude the newer convertibles that are just called 4's due to the renaming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The roundel on my trunk came unglued and fell off and now I just have a silver circle with glue on it :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

I assume OP meant 3/4 series, not to exclude the newer convertibles that are just called 4's due to the renaming.

It’s more fun being pedantic

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Head Bee Guy posted:

They’re completely fine, there’s nothing you’re gonna notice if you’re not driving the car 9/10ths. There’s a bit more chassis flex and they’re heavier.

KillHour posted:

I’m going to assume the OP meant nothing newer than E90 because the F32 convertibles are weird looking.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

I will guess that you'd have no idea of the difference unless you're tracking it and the hard top back to back.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I will guess that you'd have no idea of the difference unless you're tracking it and the hard top back to back.

I was at a track day a long time ago where someone in my run group brought their E93 335i. It was a slow, wallowy mess and the owner was complaining about how it felt.

If you’re not driving on the track I highly doubt you’ll ever notice.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Carbon roof for M car, Miata for top-down motoring IMHO.

Anyone interested in buying a 800 mile 2016 M4 GTS? Frozen Grey. My buddy is looking to clear some garage space...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

Anyone interested in buying a 800 mile 2016 M4 GTS? Frozen Grey. My buddy is looking to clear some garage space...

How much are these going for?

Just spent the weekend in Napa. Apparently all of the clean E46s have gone there for retirement, to the point that there were some used car dealers with multiple models to choose from on their lots.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

If I put a carbon roof on my wagon after s65 swap does that count?

Also I am in the market right now for a miata as the second car so I can have the wagon out of commission for long stretches. I like the way you think goon.

Residency Evil posted:

Just spent the weekend in Napa. Apparently all of the clean E46s have gone there for retirement, to the point that there were some used car dealers with multiple models to choose from on their lots.

I can definitely confirm this. Also in socal since matt farah bought one of the EAG ones for a billion dollars. Now both the TST guys have one ha

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

TheBacon posted:

If I put a carbon roof on my wagon after s65 swap does that count?

Do you have a build thread for your E91 M3 project?

That with a 4.4L S65 in a metallic blue is dangerously close to dream car daily driver for me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’ve more or less made my mind up on what to do, but figured I’d post here to see what people think.

The finance on my car is up in a few months time and I have the option to hand it back, part exchange against a new car, or pay the GFV (aka balloon payment) and keep it.

It’s a well equipped 2017 320i M Sport Shadow Edition that right now is almost 4.5 years old at 49,000 miles. I’m the second owner having acquired it at 6 months old with 6000 miles. It’s been well looked after, serviced properly, and is in great condition. It’s a brilliant car and I’ve not had any issues with it to date.

The GFV is Ł9800 based on 4.5 years old with 46,000 miles, so I’m a few thousand over. Of course COVID has hosed the market up somewhat. We Buy Any Car (the U.K. version of companies that you can offload your car to quickly for cash) values it at nearly Ł17,000. Similar examples on Autotrader are selling between Ł19,000 to Ł22,000. Main dealers are selling them for around Ł22,000 to Ł25,000.

So a car that I know has been looked after properly for Ł9800 in the current market is an absolute steal and I’m making the right decision if I choose to buy it?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So a car that I know has been looked after properly for Ł9800 in the current market is an absolute steal and I’m making the right decision if I choose to buy it?
I would say yes. Knowing a car's history is a nice piece of mind. Also, if you buy it out, and then in a few months or a year or whatever, decide you'd rather have something else, it sounds like you'd be able to sell it or trade it in and get a nice profit over what you paid. Heck, even if you don't want to keep it, pay the 9800 then sell it for a quick profit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That with a 4.4L S65 in a metallic blue is dangerously close to dream car daily driver for me.

Oh man, is that a thing that's happening here? I was just daydreaming about doing some kind of swap on the E91 I'm picking up whenever the dealer finishes fixing it lol.

They're replacing the cylinder head cover gasket, and then while driving it a CEL came on for some random O2 sensor. I'm overly paranoid after my RS but starting to get second thoughts about this and thinking maybe I should just grab the F31 they have instead, but ugh I don't want to spend that much money on something I'm probably only going to keep for a year.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’ve more or less made my mind up on what to do, but figured I’d post here to see what people think.

The finance on my car is up in a few months time and I have the option to hand it back, part exchange against a new car, or pay the GFV (aka balloon payment) and keep it.

It’s a well equipped 2017 320i M Sport Shadow Edition that right now is almost 4.5 years old at 49,000 miles. I’m the second owner having acquired it at 6 months old with 6000 miles. It’s been well looked after, serviced properly, and is in great condition. It’s a brilliant car and I’ve not had any issues with it to date.

The GFV is Ł9800 based on 4.5 years old with 46,000 miles, so I’m a few thousand over. Of course COVID has hosed the market up somewhat. We Buy Any Car (the U.K. version of companies that you can offload your car to quickly for cash) values it at nearly Ł17,000. Similar examples on Autotrader are selling between Ł19,000 to Ł22,000. Main dealers are selling them for around Ł22,000 to Ł25,000.

If you're asking if you should spend Ł10k pounds to buy an asset you can turn around and sell for Ł19k I think the answer should be yes.

Even if you want a new car and if you have the cash to spare I would still pay the balloon payment and keep the car. That gives you more leverage in a negotiation with the dealer and avoids a situation where you absolutely need the car now.

I think you probably have a few more months if not years of inflated used car pricing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Buying out a lease makes sense in probably like 95% of situations right now.

Especially if it’s in good shape/looked after.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

No, waiting on some big money from a work deal before I actually put that kind of money down. Also sadly I have realized I am not remotely at the level to pull something like that off and I am better off paying professionals. I actually have a shop both back in the Bay and up here that seem very interested in the work and willing to do it partly on passion almost.

In more sadness color change is just going to be too expensive for right now I think, it will cost more than basically everything else combined to do a proper change, most ballparks I have gotten have been in the $40k+ range. Also while the blue is nice I would do techno violet or daytona violet.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Definitely, if you’re going full repaint go crazy with it. I am a cheap bastard and would probably start with a nice OEM color to keep costs down. Wraps are also a decent option if you start with a black car.

And if you’re using it as a daily you’re probably not getting an agreed value policy so $20-40k in paint could be lost in an instant.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is this really how much a repaint costs? I thought a good quality repaint was in the 10-20k range.

:ohdear:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Is this really how much a repaint costs? I thought a good quality repaint was in the 10-20k range.

:ohdear:

This is stripping to the frame color change, yes. If you just wanted to like repaint the same color it's like the 10-20k for glass out exterior stuff. The problem is my car is white and well, if I am going to do it I want to do it right and truly take it down to the frame. It would be a lot cheaper if you were willing to strip every bit of trim yourself and deliver the shop a frame on a trailer and then pick that back up and spend the hundreds of hours putting every piece back.

I did start getting very serious about this so I can do all my budgeting. I am still going to do the grafting of the M3 rear fender flares on which is like 8-10k for that alone keeping the same color. I will also probably do some amount of exterior refresh of the alpine white, at the very least in the areas with deep scratches or dings.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Definitely, if you’re going full repaint go crazy with it. I am a cheap bastard and would probably start with a nice OEM color to keep costs down. Wraps are also a decent option if you start with a black car.

And if you’re using it as a daily you’re probably not getting an agreed value policy so $20-40k in paint could be lost in an instant.

The OEM or not isn't really the big deal it's the level of quality you want to take it to, the paint quality itself also matters but that's kind of independent of color choice. Technically both those colors are OEM too! I also have not been loving around asking average spots, my thoughts are if I can't do it right I don't want to do it. And yeah I don't want to deal with that kind of headache if something does happen, the engine swap alone will make it a nightmare, adding a crazy level of paint is yikes.

A wrap absolutely would be WAY cheaper, should be like 5-8k range to do a whole car, but I hate wraps and especially lifting the hood and seeing the door jams would kill me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The price delta between a frame repaint and a vinyl wrap is 81% of a brand new base toyota supra

How much extra is it for them to remove the door and hood trim for a vinyl wrap

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

New brain worms, instead of a miata, get a N52 E82 and then when I pull all the stuff off my wagon just put it on the E82. It only makes sense to save the value of the KWs and everything else right? ...right?

Also this looks like a wonderful example, no idrive and slicktop https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-128-11/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No stick to the wagon so I can live vicariously through your posts.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

No stick to the wagon so I can live vicariously through your posts.

No no you misunderstand. I need a second car while the wagon has driveline surgery. I spent a lot on non-M E9x platform suspension and n52 dinan exhaust. I have been planning on picking up an NA/NB miata as the second car while the wagon is out of commission. If I get an E82, basically everything I have bought so far would be able to come off the wagon and onto the E82 ezpz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, got'chya.

First night with my new wagon was great, yesterday & today the trunk lights stay on and the car beeps at me every 5 minutes that my trunk is open. It's can definitely jiggle it a little bit from the outside, but it remains latched :allears: