Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Thomamelas posted:

Anti-graffiti coatings exist. They go on clear enough to not interfere with a traffic cam. Spray paint just runs off.

Duct tape a drawing of a penis to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Map Quest was for people in countries with sane grid systems and not a country with twisting country roads where the boomers (even when in their 40s) refused to use the real name of a location, and instead preferd to use the old one they were taught when they were 5. Kids these days should treasure their googles and their Internets just for the ease of navigation.

"Is this the right way to Settling upon Twine?" "Aye sure, go left at the old barn* and carry on till you see the dog and duck**"

*Barn demolished in 1973 and now a spar
** Dog and duck renamed in 1957 to The farmer's boots

People were complaining about directions like this in the late 1700s; it has fuckall to do with the baby boom generation.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

pretty soft girl posted:

Despite the existence of up to date GPS systems on a device that you can carry in your pocket, this is still a regular conversation I have to have with my dad

"What's the address for where we're going?"
"Do you know where *landmark* is?"
"No"
"Well when you get to *landmark* take a left, keep going straight for 3 miles, then take a right down *road I've never heard of*"
"What's the address?"
"Then keep going for about 4 miles until you pass *restaurant that closed in 1992*, take a left, and you're right there"
"Sure great. What's the address"

Not everywhere has an address on rural routes. Our house in northern MN, where my parents still live is on a road that has 3 different names, none of them accurate. It's like RR321, RR125, and
Range Line Rd. It has a fire number but no actual address. It's addressed by the name and Range Line Rd. They mail lady knows where we are. If you look it up on Google maps, the location is off by about 5 miles. I've tried reporting it but Google doesn't care so instead it shows by the Smith Rd which is also the Jacopich Rd and also the Forest Service Rd, and also "The Causeway".

Seriously, the directions are, when you cross the creek, make a right where you see cows, when the road jogs, make a right and drive to the end. If you put it in your phone to try using GPS, you'll never find it. When I was a kid on the farm in ND our address was "(my grandpa's name), Richland County 1, ND. That was the full address. No fire number. Not even a city. The mailman knew my grandpa so it wasn't necessary. I don't think they let you do that any more, but it was still common in the 90's.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShsE98II94

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

So I was poking around Google TV recently and found out that apparently at some point Amazon did a revival of loving Mad About You, a show that's the TV show version of that Family Guy joke where Jamie Kennedy isn't allowed into the 2000s. It's not awful, but in the same way that Mad About You is so not-anything you can't even think of it beyond "Yeah I think Paul Raiser and Helen Hunt were on that show."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

So I was poking around Google TV recently and found out that apparently at some point Amazon did a revival of loving Mad About You, a show that's the TV show version of that Family Guy joke where Jamie Kennedy isn't allowed into the 2000s. It's not awful, but in the same way that Mad About You is so not-anything you can't even think of it beyond "Yeah I think Paul Raiser and Helen Hunt were on that show."

It wasn't Amazon, it was a cable provider.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

It wasn't Amazon, it was a cable provider.

Not sure if that's better or worse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Neito posted:

Not sure if that's better or worse.

yes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone else have those McDonalds Batman mugs? The one where the handle was Twoface flipping his coin was my prized possession as a 5 year old.

Cartoon Man posted:

The sequel trilogy needs at least 7-10 more years before it can obtain cult like meme status. It’s future memes will be hilarious though, just gotta hold out till then.

I feel like it's too bland to ever equal the status enjoyed by the prequel trilogy. The prequels were an unchecked Lucas making the crappy movies of his dreams, while the sequel trilogy was different directors kept on a short leash to make the next extruded blockbuster product. Or that's my impression, anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like it's too bland to ever equal the status enjoyed by the prequel trilogy. The prequels were an unchecked Lucas making the crappy movies of his dreams, while the sequel trilogy was different directors kept on a short leash to make the next extruded blockbuster product. Or that's my impression, anyway.

Lucas, unbound

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone else have those McDonalds Batman mugs? The one where the handle was Twoface flipping his coin was my prized possession as a 5 year old.

They did a bunch of these mugs and they were kind of a big deal for a bit. They did some for the Flintstones movie too. The Two-Face one with the coin flip handle is super cool.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Dogs. It was always a thing to not miss a pass because the dog, who is faster than you, might pick it up.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Heath posted:

They did a bunch of these mugs and they were kind of a big deal for a bit. They did some for the Flintstones movie too. The Two-Face one with the coin flip handle is super cool.

We definitely had one of the Flintstones ones for a while, that got lost in some move or another. It was exceptionally uncomfortable to drink from.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Neito posted:

We definitely had one of the Flintstones ones for a while, that got lost in some move or another. It was exceptionally uncomfortable to drink from.

The prices we pay for high art

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think I still have one or two of the light up LotR goblets around somewhere.

My wife like dragging me to thrift malls and the sheer shelf space devoted to fast food promotional glasses is astounding.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Moon Monster posted:

I still have mine from when I was a kid.
Here is is full of cloudy piss apple juice

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I might actually have the Batman one. Is it worth anything?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

evobatman posted:

I've sold a couple on etsy. people prefer pairs/sets.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Neito posted:

The Flintstones one I had had this incredibly satisfying spot where you could place your finger and it was the perfect shape for my child hand sausages.

This one specifically, since there were 4 designs of them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone else have those McDonalds Batman mugs?
Yeah, I have the one with Batman on it and still use it regularly.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Eldritch BiLast posted:

The Flintstones one I had had this incredibly satisfying spot where you could place your finger and it was the perfect shape for my child hand sausages.

I'll stick to the pork sausages, thanks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/R4sgH0x1Ors

let’s play a game and count how many of the people in this vid became uncool chuds in their dotage!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kennedy was never cool

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I remember a few years ago when Fox News had her on as an expert on kids these days. She's like 55 now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/hReWJwH8J0c

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

evobatman posted:

Not really. A set of 4 often goes for $20.
It's fun but not in high demand.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Alaois posted:

Kennedy was never cool
No one with a brain would have picked her over Tabitha Soren anyway.

Fun fact, Tabitha Soren's husband is Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball and The Big Short.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Who’s the worst former VJ: Kennedy or Adam Curry?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

empty baggie posted:

Who’s the worst former VJ: Kennedy or Adam Curry?

Kurt Loder

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The only lasting memory I have of Kennedy was Martin Landau giving her poo poo on the red carpet for the first Mission Impossible movie because she didn’t know it was a TV show first.

Not that that’s a crime or anything, but I’m sure working for Fox News hasn’t changed her rigorous journalistic approach one whit.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kurt Loder -- and Serena Altschul -- was less VJ and more "Ah poo poo, they're about to tell us about someone dying" kind of host.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Splint Chesthair posted:

The only lasting memory I have of Kennedy was Martin Landau giving her poo poo on the red carpet for the first Mission Impossible movie because she didn’t know it was a TV show first.

Not that that’s a crime or anything, but I’m sure working for Fox News hasn’t changed her rigorous journalistic approach one whit.

Mine is her involvement in a random HBO sketch show where the premise is Gen X needing a 'Where we're you when Kennedy was killed?' moment.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I think Jesse Camp (winner of the first "Wanna Be A VJ" thing) actually beats out Kennedy in terms of obnoxious presentation.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Trabant posted:

Kurt Loder -- and Serena Altschul -- was less VJ and more "Ah poo poo, they're about to tell us about someone dying" kind of host.

Yeah, those guys, as well as Tabitha Soren, were MTV news reporters, not VJ's.

And I bring up Adam Curry because he, while being credited by some as the inventor of podcasts, has used that platform to spread conspiracy theories and anti-vax propaganda. I think he might be the worst of the bunch overall.

empty baggie has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Mar 24, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

empty baggie posted:

Yeah, those guys, as well as Tabitha Soren, were MTV news reporters, not VJ's.

And I bring up Adam Curry because he, while being credited by some as the inventor of podcasts, has used that platform to spread conspiracy theories and anti-vax propaganda. I think he might be the worst of the bunch overall.

also Ricky Gervais could arguably be equally credited (also gently caress Ricky Gervais now, I guess)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

hatelull posted:

I think Jesse Camp (winner of the first "Wanna Be A VJ" thing) actually beats out Kennedy in terms of obnoxious presentation.

Didn't he get a music video and disappear after less than a year, then the normie runner up guy was on MTV for a decade or something

Also I think you're right, but Kennedy sucks more. I feel like you could give Jesse some weed and attention and he'd fade into the background, but Kennedy would be up at 5am and still talking very opinionatedly about things she doesn't know anything about.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

doctorfrog posted:

Didn't he get a music video and disappear after less than a year, then the normie runner up guy was on MTV for a decade or something

runner-up was dave holmes, who was and still is awesome

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Splint Chesthair posted:

The only reason I ever remember her is Nirvana’s Unplugged show.

At one point near the end, they jokingly ask for suggestions or requests on what to play and a woman loudly yells “Rape Me!”. Everyone laughs a little, I think Dave Grohl asks “Is that Kennedy?”, and Cobain smirks and says “I don’t think MTV would let us play that.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Alaois posted:

Kennedy was never cool

There was some mtv spring break thing and Rob Zombie and Kennedy were doing the bookends in between commercials and he kept writing mean things about her on the wall behind them with a sharpie as she was talking.