Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(just trust me this was techies)

You can do some incredibly goofy things. Rubick's also good right now, his agh's is extremely strong.

I miss his old VA though, rip berry dennan. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I don't know about Techies mid. I had a game the other day with a Techies mid and looking at the scoreboard Techies did twice as much as the enemy OD, but it felt like half as much. Once the enemy supports had their save items and the enemy cores had BKBs it felt like he contributed zero.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Techies ... contributed zero.

And to think people were concerned he'd lose his identity with the rework

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’ve played with a handful of games with a techies mid and it seems serviceable, but in the same way that you can take almost any 4 or 5 with some team fight ability and lane presence mid and probably do well enough if you have a good game and aren’t like 9k mmr or whatever. I’d rather have him on my team in a not-mid role.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah I don't know about Techies mid. I had a game the other day with a Techies mid and looking at the scoreboard Techies did twice as much as the enemy OD, but it felt like half as much. Once the enemy supports had their save items and the enemy cores had BKBs it felt like he contributed zero.

That sounds more like a failing of being too passive about pushing, which is a problem in basically every pub game.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
What’s the thing next to the bracer lol

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Smythe posted:

What’s the thing next to the bracer lol

the thing that makes your right clicks do magic damage and go through eblade, aka Big Witch Blade

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Witch blade was badass. What did they call that thing in hon?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wraith Pact seems pretty strong. It has a winrate comparable to many endgame items but only costs like 4k.

It's possible its winrate would go down if more people bought it and there was better awareness that you need to kill the totem, though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Smythe posted:

Witch blade was badass. What did they call that thing in hon?

Harkons blade was the magic attack thing in hon

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Geight posted:

Harkons blade was the magic attack thing in hon

Hell yes

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
New axe is really good just getting a casual +30 armor from dunking people is so funny

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Terminal autist posted:

New axe is really good just getting a casual +30 armor from dunking people is so funny

drat I love axe. Post makes me want to boot up the dote and cull some people.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Honestly blink call cull is one of the greatest feelings in any video game

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
One thing that sucks about axe tho and also same with mage tiny is getting a huge score, owning everyone for a half hour, and then losing.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
axe with the aghanims is extremely strong and does not really fall off ever. your huge score directly translates into huge aoe damage. the aghs means call kills a creep wave or a arbitrarily large stack of basically anything as well as increasing dps and utility

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Its nice to be able to do damage on axe again after they removed spin on attack, makes him feel a lot more viable. All of the new snowball effects on kill are great this patch had a necro game earlier where I had over 100 hps with no sadist stacks with a sange and kaya.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

When I first started playing Battle Hunger was Axe's defining skill. You'd just maul the enemy position 5 by chaincasting it on them. Eventually Valve decided this was a pretty lame identity for the hero and buffed Call and Counterhelix...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

When I first started playing Battle Hunger was Axe's defining skill. You'd just maul the enemy position 5 by chaincasting it on them. Eventually Valve decided this was a pretty lame identity for the hero and buffed Call and Counterhelix...

this owned and i did it for a long time even after it was unfashionable

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Stacking mangos with oov and call + right-clicking pos5 hell yeah

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've heard stories of people somehow being able to game the matchmaking system, allowing for a person running multiple accounts to "plant" themselves on the enemy team and I think that might've happened last night?

We all pick, Bristle, Primal Beast, Warlock, Spectre, Medusa. Warlock proceeds to just walk down mid and stay there with Medusa the entire game auto attacking and casting Golem on cooldown. They never spoke, never placed the ward they bought, never took their Brown Boots out of their backpack, never used any of the regen items they bought etc.

I viewed their steam profile but Steam just said they didn't have one set up. They were supposedly a DOTA+ subscriber according to the in game view of their profile. Couldn't see how many games played or anything like that, but it was overall really devoid of any information :shrug:

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Sab669 posted:

I've heard stories of people somehow being able to game the matchmaking system, allowing for a person running multiple accounts to "plant" themselves on the enemy team and I think that might've happened last night?

We all pick, Bristle, Primal Beast, Warlock, Spectre, Medusa. Warlock proceeds to just walk down mid and stay there with Medusa the entire game auto attacking and casting Golem on cooldown. They never spoke, never placed the ward they bought, never took their Brown Boots out of their backpack, never used any of the regen items they bought etc.

I viewed their steam profile but Steam just said they didn't have one set up. They were supposedly a DOTA+ subscriber according to the in game view of their profile. Couldn't see how many games played or anything like that, but it was overall really devoid of any information :shrug:

It use to work with peoppe queing odd language preferences for the region during off peak hours, so you que Portuguese in SEA. Probably don't even need to do that any more with the smaller playerbase and if you miss the que just DC in the loading phase. Its still dota though and filled with the most miserable psychotic fucks around not saying it wasn't a plant but far more likely just some dude having a bad day and whatever set him off

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

New accounts get 2 months of dota+ free so the dota+ subscriber thing could just mean fresh accounts

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mortimer Knag posted:

New accounts get 2 months of dota+ free so the dota+ subscriber thing could just mean fresh accounts

Ah, that makes sense because it said that person was a subscriber as of [whatever day it was this happened].

Also good news, thread, my onboard video is good enough to play DOTA at lowest settings. (My 3070 poo poo the bed :suicide:)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Spring cleaning is here with some nice changes https://www.dota2.com/springcleaning

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Everyone was complaining it took multiple clicks to mute someone and they were accidentally reporting people because of it, so naturally Valve changes it so you can report them accidentally with 1 click now.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
it's a beta
https://clips.twitch.tv/StormyProductiveRabbitPeanutButterJellyTime-4e3AY68bHFdVzmjS

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Like I'm just baffled, they gently caress up the UI for muting people to accomodate the 0.1% of the playerbase trying to play Dota on a controller, leave it that way for months even though everyone is bitching, and then when they finally do change it THEY MAKE IT WORSE.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GabeN posted:

Fixed Hero Challenge for Crystal Maiden - "Creep Kills with Frostbite".

Oh good, can I finally get challenge progress off neutral creeps??

wait what, still doesn't seem to include neutral creeps

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Am I a big dummy for consistently getting mom and maelstrom on faceless void? I get folks asking why I bought two farming items but they both help me kill creeps and heroes just as well and they all upgrade into good items (mom breaks into bfly/satanic)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
MoM Maelstrom is very popular in Void right now as long as you are hitting good timings for both.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah I was pretty sure that was the case but enough people asked me about having "two farming items" that I started to wonder if something had changed!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Void, as a hero, contributes to the team by soaking damage, not dying, and a huge teamfight ultimate. The fact he can do considerable damage in the lategame is predicated on making it to the lategame.

If it’s a Good Void Game then you should have like Skywrath / Snapfire / Invoker teammates and not need to be your teams #1 damage dealer for the first 50 minutes. Your actual job is to use chronosphere every single time it’s available, and MoM + Maelstrom are not good items to go roaming around in the opponents jungle @ 18:00.

Either is fine. I’m partial to MoM —> BKB. Did you know that BKB gives as much damage as Maelstrom? It doesn’t have the proc, but it absolutely adds some to your farming speed, and the fact that it makes you immune to all the poo poo that would kill you is imho better than a 30% chance to do 140 damage.

Dying even once in a situation where BKB would have saved you immediately makes Maelstrom inferior, and often BKB will get you kills (because you didn’t die and/or were not chain-CC’d in your own Chrono).

Timings are really important (as noted above) and I feel like a huge number of players attempt to delay BKB as long as possible because it doesn’t shoot lightning or provide 6 different stat boosts.

Delaying BKB can often be a humongous losing snowball: you die solo to lion +1 and realize that you need BKB. Except now the enemy has strong map control and you’re unable to fight with your team to regain map control because you’re throwing chrono in order to escape from ganks. 7 minutes later you finish BKB as the opponents take a second set of rax from you while your teammates rightfully critique your item build: if you were 2700g faster on BKB instead of a farming item (that you were unable to use because you have no map control) maybe the game would have turned out significantly different. “Whatever”, you think. “I’ll post on gaming thread to confirm that their criticism is unwarranted so that I can continue to build the cool lightning item instead of boring win-button item”

The paragraph above also applies to me. And literally everyone that’s ever played a BKB hero. You greed on an item that isn’t BKB and the cause of your eventual loss can be pinpoint triangulated to the very moment your idiot self decided to not buy BKB.

Think of BKB as a farming item: by having the item, you are strong enough to create the space that you need in order to farm. It doesn’t matter if you can instantly obliterate any creep near you if you can’t ever get near creeps, etc.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

And also Maelstrom is kind of a poo poo endgame item*. You want to be slotted out with like Silver Edge, MKB, BKB, Skadi, Satanic, BFly. The lightning procs get irrelevant pretty fast post-shadowblade because your clearing speed is limited to finding poo poo to kill, not killing it.

*Mjolnir is very good vs PL and sometimes natures prophet and stuff, but very often it would be the weak link in your endgame item build.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

DNK posted:

Delaying BKB can often be a humongous losing snowball: you die solo to lion +1 and realize that you need BKB. Except now the enemy has strong map control and you’re unable to fight with your team to regain map control because you’re throwing chrono in order to escape from ganks. 7 minutes later you finish BKB as the opponents take a second set of rax from you while your teammates rightfully critique your item build: if you were 2700g faster on BKB instead of a farming item (that you were unable to use because you have no map control) maybe the game would have turned out significantly different. “Whatever”, you think. “I’ll post on gaming thread to confirm that their criticism is unwarranted so that I can continue to build the cool lightning item instead of boring win-button item”

Finally, someone understands! Thank you, genuinely.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

never buy bkb. avoid being disabled by either killing your enemies or leaving.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i have played 5847 games of dota 2. i have purchased a black king bar 159 times, and i have regretted my weakness 159 times. bkb is a coward's item.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

i have played 5847 games of dota 2. i have purchased a black king bar 159 times, and i have regretted my weakness 159 times. bkb is a coward's item.

thats true but its also the best item in the game

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Only play pos1 in turbo, bkb sixth item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

bkb is a coward's item.

:hmmyes:

Smythe posted:

thats true but its also the best item in the game

I think you're confusing BKB with Divine Rapier?