Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wesleywillis posted:

Like it'll probably get smoked by something modern with a v6 or turbo four these days, but it was pretty good for it's day.

Even the muscle cars from the 60s aren't that fast compared to a ton of stuff these days.

HSV Holdens and and Tickford Fords would have eaten that shitbox alive. Hell I doubt it would have beaten a stock V6 Commodore. And the Commodore has far better chassis stiffness and better handling.

Also the WRX existed in Australia in 1996. OH and the FD RX7 existed too. R32 GTR was a pricy alternative. EVO's were Australian delivered - thats just off the top of my head

Nope, that Camaro was not good for it's day, esp here. It's a car for aging balding overweight property developers to pose in.

quote:

250hp was their high output version in the early 90s and I don't think you could do much to add power

215Kw was the Holden GTS's power. Also the Holden Black could be resonably easily fettled to get to 250Kw. If you wanted to do an engine out rebuild, stroker kits were availible and Larry Perkins would sell you a 350Kw drop in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Number_6 posted:

When the 4th gen F-bodies came out In '93, 275 HP (in the Z28 and Trans Am) was a HOLY poo poo level of power for the price/class. After suffering through the smog cars of the mid & late '70s, and the wheezy 305s of the '80s, that kind of power was a revelation.
The other revelatory part of the LT1 fourth-gen F-bodies was the availability of the T-56 manual transmission. The previous cars had an available T-5, but you couldn't get a manual at all with the 350. The top engine with a stick-shift was a wheezy 305 and the 350 models only came with a four-speed auto.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

A manual on a 350!?!? clearly too much power for mere mortals.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HSV Holdens and and Tickford Fords would have eaten that shitbox alive. Hell I doubt it would have beaten a stock V6 Commodore. And the Commodore has far better chassis stiffness and better handling.

Also the WRX existed in Australia in 1996. OH and the FD RX7 existed too. R32 GTR was a pricy alternative. EVO's were Australian delivered - thats just off the top of my head

Nope, that Camaro was not good for it's day, esp here. It's a car for aging balding overweight property developers to pose in.

215Kw was the Holden GTS's power. Also the Holden Black could be resonably easily fettled to get to 250Kw. If you wanted to do an engine out rebuild, stroker kits were availible and Larry Perkins would sell you a 350Kw drop in.

Hey that's great, I'm not from oz and while yes there were faster cars out there, including in North America, 275hp and whatever torque WAS infact good. Even if it sucked by whatever standards from the other side of the world at the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, the US had 70s-80s emissions standards to deal with. That *sucked* until the manufacturers figured out how to deal with it (EFI, etc.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/s...s1_c10&ref_url=

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, the US had 70s-80s emissions standards to deal with. That *sucked* until the manufacturers figured out how to deal with it (EFI, etc.)

Can't not give people V8s that is unamerican, so we have to make them most choked and gutless V8s ever known to science.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

Can't not give people V8s that is unamerican, so we have to make them most choked and gutless V8s ever known to science.

The domestic fours and sixes were worse. No power and coarse. At least the gutless V-8s were smooth.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is there no more 70s phrase than “slant six”

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Transam?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A V8 isn't smooth by definition. A V6 is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i6*

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fame Douglas posted:

:thunk:

V8s and straight sixes (not V6s) are the ones that are balanced inherently.

You feeling ok?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wesleywillis posted:

Hey that's great, I'm not from oz and while yes there were faster cars out there, including in North America, 275hp and whatever torque WAS infact good. Even if it sucked by whatever standards from the other side of the world at the time.

That Camaro is in Australia so it's an appropriate comparison for once.

Fame Douglas posted:

..... ooooh boy yeah nah bro

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That Camaro is in Australia so it's an appropriate comparison for once.

Most of those cars never existed in North America, so my comment is also valid.

But please allow me to apologize for the following:

A. For thinking something is pretty good when there are so many things that are much better.

B. For not knowing anything about the Australian car scene from 30 years ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fame Douglas posted:

This thread has enough terrible car stuff without you adding more.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Saw this sweet rear end ride the other day:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is always a Dart.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

wesleywillis posted:

My dad had a 1996 Z28 for a while with a suspension job, frame stiffeners, and a little bit of bolt on engine tuning and despite being the 4 speed auto, it was in fact fun as gently caress. Also loud.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

BigPaddy posted:

It is always a Dart.

The Dodge Kunai

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bro just use the dial, it works better than jabbing at the screen whilst driving, hitting a bump, missing what you're pressing, having to hit back and try again...

https://twitter.com/stevenewing/status/1507122093413920781?s=20&t=_AX4PoHfQ5rZfQJt9WTm-g

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
That's what the proper behavior of a touchscreen in a car should be, imo. I hate dealing with anything on newer cars that doesn't have some sort of tactile feedback.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My dad picked up a CX30 last year and brought it over. I was there trying to jab away at the screen but it too locks you out. I was directed to the dial and hoo boy it's loads better to use than the screen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, the dial isn't bad with the Mazda radio setup, imo.

Long pressing the volume button on the BRZ turns the screen off and it remembers the setting when turning the car on / off. I haven't seen the screen turned on since the day I bought the car and sync'd my phone to bluetooth, thing is absolutely terrible to use.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

my experience is that using a dial to scroll through elements in a UI designed for touchscreen generally takes more time and attention than just tapping a button with your finger :shrug:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fame Douglas posted:

:wrong:

Although neither are smooth as a shark

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The fact that it's common to disable certain touch screen actions while in motion is an indictment of the use of touchscreens as control panels in cars

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

my experience is that using a dial to scroll through elements in a UI designed for touchscreen generally takes more time and attention than just tapping a button with your finger :shrug:

You should pull over either way than sit trying to jab buttons on your screen or twiddling knobs. If you're navigating surely you tell your car where to go before setting off? For most other poo poo these days you can yell at your phone to call people or change track... If it's something that requires that much attention to begin with, stop your car.

(and I already know someone is going to reply with a bizarre reason they need to take their eyes off the road to gently caress their touchscreen whilst driving. To you I say eat poo poo.)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My dad picked up a CX30 last year and brought it over. I was there trying to jab away at the screen but it too locks you out. I was directed to the dial and hoo boy it's loads better to use than the screen.

The 3 and CX-30 don't even have the touch screen hardware.

It looks like Mazda has caved though because the CX-50 has touch hardware and a setting that enables touch when the car is moving. Kinda dumb because the screen is placed for enough up and back it'll be a stretch to reach but I guess they got sick of lack of touch being listed as a negative in every review.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:wrong:

Although neither are smooth as a shark

Imagine a shark with a V12 engine

E: no, a wankel

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Does the Mazda unlock the touch screen while in motion if there is weight in the front passenger seat (and/or the passenger seat belt is buckled)? As a passenger I would rather jab at a touch screen than try to use my worthless left hand to operate a dial.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Love the rotary knob and lack of touch screen in my CX-5. Way easier to deal with when the car is in motion, and the screen doesn't become a mess of fingerprints and smudges.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Bro just use the dial, it works better than jabbing at the screen whilst driving, hitting a bump, missing what you're pressing, having to hit back and try again...

please stop fiddling with dials while driving, you're putting everyone else on the road at risk. if you need to use a dial while driving just pull over, it's not worth it

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

please stop fiddling with dials while driving, you're putting everyone else on the road at risk. if you need to use a dial while driving just pull over, it's not worth it

I'm all for not driving while distracted, but this is a strong take even for me. Have you used Mazda's infotainment dial? I can use it easily without looking at it. Just as simple as steering wheel controls.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

If you adjust volume while driving you ride with Hitler

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

heavy liquid posted:

Saw this sweet rear end ride the other day:

Itasha means pain car

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I ride a motorbike, ain't poo poo for me to fiddle with :v:

dissss posted:

The 3 and CX-30 don't even have the touch screen hardware.

He brought a 2019 I think, seems they pulled it out of the later ones!

PBCrunch posted:

Does the Mazda unlock the touch screen while in motion if there is weight in the front passenger seat (and/or the passenger seat belt is buckled)? As a passenger I would rather jab at a touch screen than try to use my worthless left hand to operate a dial.

It does not so you have no choice.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 26, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Those dumb fuel doors looked bad 10-15 years ago and that's when they were at least mostly circular. For gently caress's sake this looks bad

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Looks like a videogame model with a texture stretched around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

When knobs and bad user interface screen design meet. :v:

https://twitter.com/banovsky/status/1507890882938380288?t=uSotlsuJvTGkdTyeZP07Zw&s=19