Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Asciana posted:

I've had very little trouble up to now but i've been banging my head against a wall with Fire Giant. I just think its an absolute bullshit fight that you can barely see whats going on most of the time. I'd really hate to give up considering I had no issues with DS1-3. :(

I found it really simple riding the horse and staying glued to his feet/foot in both phases. I recognise based on everyone else’s experience I may have been exceedingly lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Okay I’ll admit not the greatest start there by me.

More than made up for it the second time around! Thank you, that was excellent, and reminds me I could check out that scarlet rot spell!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just beat Mohg. Bleed, no. Rot, no. Maybe frostbite, no. Wtf? Hmmm...

Let's see:
-Big-ish
-lumbering
-small room

I killed him with Night Maiden's Mist. Just cast it and held a shield up with occasional dodge, that with a small summon + shackle to keep him still.

Lol I'll never stop loving pestilent mist.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I don't understand why they felt the need to give Malenia a lifesteal on every goddamn hit. What the gently caress are you trying to prove here Miyazaki? Is waterfowl dance not enough?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Also Iji self immolated or something?

there's a dead black knife assassin near iji. they fuckin killed him, man

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you apply faith ash you are converting part of the strike damage to holy damage (or fire depending on the ash), which goes against the whole point of weapon-swapping against an enemy that's weak to strike and resistant to holy.

In fact, only the holy part scales with faith, so even if you had 99 fth using a faith ash would still reduce the strike damage it deals.

ah, i didn't know that weapon damage type doesn't follow the faith stat too. also didn't realize they're resistant to faith damage

cipher pata scales 100 percent to faith, but it's a slash/pierce weapon - does that even factor into damage then?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you’re having trouble with Melania, try using the hammer talisman.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SHISHKABOB posted:

The great runes you gathered are pieces of the elden ring.

...meaning the real Elden Ring is actually the enemies you made along the way!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

beer gas canister posted:

ah, i didn't know that weapon damage type doesn't follow the faith stat too. also didn't realize they're resistant to faith damage

cipher pata scales 100 percent to faith, but it's a slash/pierce weapon - does that even factor into damage then?

Well I don't actually know if they're resistant to holy, I assumed they were because you tried swapping to a strike weapon, presumably because your cipher weapon was doing reduced damage to them or something? If they take full normal damage from the cipher pata then yeah just sticking to that forever is better than swapping to a strike weapon. They seemed to take full damage from magic when I fought them so I dunno.

I don't think the slash/pierce thing affects any part of the cipher pata since they don't do any physical damage, although the specific pierce moves might still benefit from the spear talisman.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

2house2fly posted:

...meaning the real Elden Ring is actually the enemies you made along the way!

Or rather the enemies you unmade

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm trying to beat malenia without help and having fun. The last attempt I had her to 20% and was like ok get your poo poo together let's do this, she went into the air and my brain completely exploded to the point where I said WHATS SHE GONNA DO out loud and it was that combo so I got absolutely mulched standing flat footed lmao

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I took a picture of my triumph over the fire giant, just me and my best bros Alexander and post-nerf Mimic Tear

Looka dat health bar

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

GloomMouse posted:

there's a dead black knife assassin near iji. they fuckin killed him, man

What the gently caress, I didn’t know they existed.

Also, who/what is the giant stretched out face with a scaly body in the roots behind Fia in the Deathbed place? Is that Godwyn?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Also, who/what is the giant stretched out face with a scaly body in the roots behind Fia in the Deathbed place? Is that Godwyn?
Yes

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

who is the one in storm castle though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That's Godwinn

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Godfail

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Playing whip with dagger/axe makes this my favorite Castlevania game.

Just kidding, it's dual petal whips that bleed and freeze!

Also, I found out where Tanith goes after she leaves Volcano Manor
She's loving eating Rykard to be his new vessel.
I have her some canastas Patches tossed my way but she didn't want them.
I wonder if both of their quests are done.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Inzombiac posted:

That doesn't sound good. You should probably attack her.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Inzombiac posted:

Smack her and see what happens

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Y'all seen this?

http://straykurtis.gq/

Pretty cool. Tells you the (rune)level of the invader / invadee you just killed based on the amount of runes you get for killing them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Trash Trick posted:

Y'all seen this?

http://straykurtis.gq/

Pretty cool. Tells you the (rune)level of the invader / invadee you just killed based on the amount of runes you get for killing them.

Neat, so the person who got killed by Malenia that netted me over 350K runes was over level 700 lmao

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Holy resist talismans/spells sure work miracles against the last two bosses. I went from several <20% wipes on elden beast to one shotting him after equipping the holy resist talisman and the faith spell that massively buffs holy resist. Elden beast fight was pretty meh compared to the bosses prior but it wasn't too bad. Malenia was my favorite fight by far because I couldn't just tank and whittle her down with her insane lifesteal. Had to both change my build to be more offense based and go all out with consumables.

9.5/10 ultrawide support plz

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

My DEX character is literally named Belmont and was going to be a sword/whip dude. But man, I hate whips. I get that they have a long range but the time it takes to swing and recover makes me feel like I’m rooted in place for an eternity.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It came up a few pages ago about the Sword of Night and Flame. I never used it pre-nerf but I spec'd into it after running Darkmoon Greatsword for a while. I found it pretty comparable to the Darkmoon. Like they have various positives/negatives vs each other but neither is obviously weaker.

I did think the death spells were pretty weak though. Even with an upgraded death staff and reasonable stats they just don't have any kick at all. I found it was never worth bothering with them and I might as well spend my time angling for another sword beam shot.

I'm full faith now and its great. Faith spells look pretty cool and you have lots of options. Using Blasphemous Blade which is obviously great (not many other weapons with life steal right?) but I'll probably try something else since I'm not enamored with its moveset.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Can I get to Frozen Lake for Seppu without having finished the Cap?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

96 spacejam posted:

Depends. What's "the cap"?

But if you are in the snow zone you can just ride torrent directly to the lake and not have to fight anything.

While you're there, on the western side of the lake is a double stonesword key door.

Inside is the godskin dudes (one after the other, not simultaneously) and they drop the absolute God Tier vampire amulet (blood grants you HP)

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 25, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

96 spacejam posted:

Nope. Assuming Cap = Leyndell, there's a gold gate in the way of the Mountains till you clear Margott or whoever.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh, Capital.

Yeah, nah. You gotta beat Margott for that.

Luckily he's a wuss and you can beat him with Melina or a Mimic Tear + Hoarfrost Stomp. And the Margit shackle works on him in phase 1 so you can just destroy his poo poo without taking any damage.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Radahn is actually a pretty fun fight now that he doesn't instantly vaporize you

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I was sunbro'ing for Melania and got summoned alongside a naked lady that kept ringing a bell and dropping blocks off her health bar and just....wtf is going on here

https://youtu.be/fQ5uqyf3HM8

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
looks like their projectiles are visually just going a short distance before despawning due to netcode fuckery but on their end they are traveling properly

e: oh nvm it's carian retribution cheese

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

EC posted:

I was sunbro'ing for Melania and got summoned alongside a naked lady that kept ringing a bell and dropping blocks off her health bar and just....wtf is going on here

https://youtu.be/fQ5uqyf3HM8

Oh, I think that's the bugged carian retaliation combined with being able to parry your own magic or something along those lines?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah the glintblades do way more damage than intended and other players can't see them fly

they're using a slow projectile in front of them that they can parry to make glintblades

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Oh ok thanks y'all

Now time to learn how to do it before it gets patched out

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

EC posted:

Oh ok thanks y'all

Now time to learn how to do it before it gets patched out

just ring a bell and then mash parry :science:
specifically the Wraith-Calling Bell from some ruins in liurnia

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Einwand posted:

Oh, I think that's the bugged carian retaliation combined with being able to parry your own magic or something along those lines?

yep

specifically you use either the wraith calling bell (technically the omen bairn could work but wraith calling is easier to get) or cuckoo glintstones, drop it, parry the spawned projectiles and you get glintblades

likely it's something to do with the projectiles being spawned by another actor in the spell script and inheriting the player's faction without inheriting them as the spawner, and carian retaliation is only checking for if the person using it spawned the projectiles or not, leading to the glitch

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Finally beat Malenia after a week of trying. The game-winning touchdown was equipping & throwing kukris at her during the big 7-second window of staying away from the divebomb. I am not at all exaggerating.

Now to savescum the endings and play through half the entire game again because I missed one missable weapon, for dA pLAT

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

enojy posted:

Finally beat Malenia after a week of trying. The game-winning touchdown was equipping & throwing kukris at her during the big 7-second window of staying away from the divebomb. I am not at all exaggerating.

congrats! she is comically weak to bleed, so anything that can apply it quickly like kukris, swarm of flies, or swarm pots is excellent during her phase transition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PvP (and damage) in this game is utterly hosed. I'm being oneshot by magic and moonveil slashes. Just not even going to bother with this poo poo.