Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Battlebond Duals (didn't screenshot)

I wanna put that Brain and Wand in my Prosper deck cause I want all that treasure. :capitalism:

That Brass Dragon is going to be super gross in an Ur-Dragon deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ur-Dragon and Prosper getting some sweet tech is very nice. Minsc and Boo feels like it belongs in Changeling tribal.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Battlebond dual reprint is all I needed to get hype. Those lands kick rear end.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Brass Dragon needs to immediately go into my mono-black reanimator deck.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Reflecting Pool reprint!

A portion of the set will also be coming to Arena for Alchemy.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If y’all want updates from those Wizards events but can’t watch live you can follow me on Twitter, I live tweet them every time. @CMDRMechanic

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Balon posted:

If y’all want updates from those Wizards events but can’t watch live you can follow me on Twitter, I live tweet them every time. @CMDRMechanic

Oh hey I noticed you're in the latest Mind Sculptors podcast. Nice.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Framboise posted:

Oh hey I noticed you're in the latest Mind Sculptors podcast. Nice.

Ye Cal and I are tight. I’m doing more analysis stuff for the MLC like I did last year.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Batterypowered7 posted:

Battlebond Duals (didn't screenshot)

Cool card but how is a Brass Dragon or any of the metallic dragons a black card?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I figure even metallic dragons are pretty selfish, self absorbed, and greedy.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Bugsy posted:

Cool card but how is a Brass Dragon or any of the metallic dragons a black card?

Conversely, why was there a chromatic dragon in white in TFR? I think it's just stretching the color themes a bit for the sake of balancing a cycle. :shrug:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Aranan posted:

I figure even metallic dragons are pretty selfish, self absorbed, and greedy.

Heliod is white, for what it's worth

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/IpI53U57rpo

Hilariously fun Playing with Power episode with Kyle Hill. And under 20 minutes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is, uh, extremely cool and weird and dorky and progressive all at once

https://twitter.com/forestsolringgo/status/1499771228768382978?s=21

TLDR: lots of trans players and allies doing a Phyrexian charity commander stream to support trans advocacy groups in Texas. Apparently members of the MtG trans community have… identified with Phyrexian Compleation as an analog for their transgender journies, hence the theme of this gigantic charity stream. Honestly, I am not trans, but as a queer nerd this seems insanely funny and cool to me, like hosting a Legion of Doom panel on recycling ocean plastic into killer robots, but goddam if it isn’t a great cause either way!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is, uh, extremely cool and weird and dorky and progressive all at once

https://twitter.com/forestsolringgo/status/1499771228768382978?s=21

TLDR: lots of trans players and allies doing a Phyrexian charity commander stream to support trans advocacy groups in Texas. Apparently members of the MtG trans community have… identified with Phyrexian Compleation as an analog for their transgender journies, hence the theme of this gigantic charity stream. Honestly, I am not trans, but as a queer nerd this seems insanely funny and cool to me, like hosting a Legion of Doom panel on recycling ocean plastic into killer robots, but goddam if it isn’t a great cause either way!

That’s a really cool idea for the community, thanks for sharing!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Railing Kill posted:

Conversely, why was there a chromatic dragon in white in TFR? I think it's just stretching the color themes a bit for the sake of balancing a cycle. :shrug:

They make a decent cycle is the thing. 5 chromatic, 5 metallic, 5 colors. I woulda probably picked Copper instead of Brass for black, but there's enough unique stuff about each type to come up with more pie matches beyond just "Black is bad guys".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

theironjef posted:

They make a decent cycle is the thing. 5 chromatic, 5 metallic, 5 colors. I woulda probably picked Copper instead of Brass for black, but there's enough unique stuff about each type to come up with more pie matches beyond just "Black is bad guys".

also they already did Gold... and it was a gold card.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This is cool but also very weird. Why the hell did they use compleation as a metaphor for transitioning? Compleation is FORCED upon people.

EDIT: also, IIRC, the majority of Phyrexians have no gender at all. Seriously they could not have picked a worse metaphor.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 25, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah as a trans person myself that's really offputting in ways I can't quite put a finger on

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah as a trans person myself that's really offputting in ways I can't quite put a finger on

Because compleation is assimilation, and as a metaphor for transitioning it makes it sound like the kind of thing conservatives accuse transgender people of doing (recruiting or outright brainwashing people to turn them into soldiers for the cause)

I also had the thought that it seemed very ill-advised for that reason but I'm not trans so :shrug:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New Capenna commander hints:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSjce9ltGg

#1: There's a creature with an activated ability that can only be activated in a creature fought this turn

#2: A card with the clue subtype

#3: A legendary creature of a type that people have been asking about for years

#4: A card that fits in mechanically with a cycle from Invasion block

#5: A new twist on a cycle that first appeared in a previous Commander product

#6: A non-creature card with three instances of the word "three" and three instances of the number 3

#7: A card which begins "At the beginning of your upkeep each opponent chooses money, friends, or secrets..."

#8: A legendary creature which cares about three creature types that have never been batched together before

#9: A sorcery that only has 8 lines of rule text

#10: Tons of returning one-off mechanics, including one that Gavin never thought he'd see again

And, five card names, one for each color:

In Too Deep
Jailbreak
Dodgy Jalopy
Misfortune Teller
Life of the Party

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People who don’t have the luxury of a wide selection of role models or identities take what they can get, whatever clicks with them, good or bad. It’s why a lot of queer folks in the 90’s became so enamored with Disney and comic book villains, they were all queer coded and it was either that or the drag queen alligator from All Dogs Go to Heaven, we didn’t have any other gay characters to look up to.

Not saying that makes it less weird, but I can understand how they arrived where they are. And obviously anything that combats the transphobia taking place in Texas right now is good. Also, coordinating that large of stream is no small feat, seems like a lot of people are involved.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
But there are explicitly trans, nonbinary and queer characters in Magic. Why identify with the horrifying cenobites and their process of of corrupting people?

Like given what queer people are often accused of and hated for, and then looking at the monsters who forcibly impose their will on others, and are the literal world-ending embodiment of evil, go around destroying societies, and are basically parasitically imperialist, and going "yeah, this is queer coded" seems ... Wrong? It seems like becoming un-compleated would be a better metaphor, since you could break away from the people imposing their vision on you and be yourself again.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Heath posted:

But there are explicitly trans, nonbinary and queer characters in Magic. Why identify with the horrifying cenobites and their process of of corrupting people?

Like given what queer people are often accused of and hated for, and then looking at the monsters who forcibly impose their will on others, and are the literal world-ending embodiment of evil, go around destroying societies, and are basically parasitically imperialist, and going "yeah, this is queer coded" seems ... Wrong? It seems like becoming un-compleated would be a better metaphor, since you could break away from the people imposing their vision on you and be yourself again.

Part of the problem is that media frequently only depicts members of marginalized groups in villainous ways. People find comfort and inspiration where they find it, and many fandoms engage in a lot of picking and choosing what they like or identify with about something.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Phyrexians are also just cool.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yawgmoth rules

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also, to my knowledge, Magic had one openly trans character and she was from Tarkir, so it’s unclear if she even exists anymore, and anyone who started playing within the last TEN YEARS might not even know she exists.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Trans Lives, who Smile at Death has kind of an awkward ring to it as well, sadly.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Yeah, that event does kinda read weird to me, but I'm not LGBTQ so my opinion doesn't really matter much. If they're doing good and having fun with it, gently caress it, they could identify with Nazis for all I care (please do not identify with Nazis even if you are doing [legitimate] good for the world).

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Maybe not that.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

imagine dungeons posted:

Maybe not that.

You do not, under any circumstances, “gotta hand it to ‘em.”

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

serefin99 posted:

Yeah, that event does kinda read weird to me, but I'm not LGBTQ so my opinion doesn't really matter much. If they're doing good and having fun with it, gently caress it, they could identify with Nazis for all I care (please do not identify with Nazis even if you are doing [legitimate] good for the world).

Uhm, about that...

quote:

Phyrexia has at its core a very gritty and mentally enticing philosophy. The ideas themselves are collectively called 'Phyresis', a phrase coined by Yawgmoth himself. This system is largely based upon the will to survive and the concept of controlled evolution. The key idea of the Phyrexians is comparable to social Darwinism; evolution by removal of all the foes of the favorable species, the Phyrexians. This is applied socially, by way of eugenics.

Yawgmoth acts as the director of this process. Eliminating all foes and striving for efficiency, no matter the cost is the goal of Phyrexia. This plan is, without a doubt, very effective; however, it is sentimentally hollow and void of 'human' characteristics. Yawgmoth and his Grand Evolution are without art, emotion, morals, and personal thought or freedom. In this, Phyrexia is the polar opposite of Dominaria, with its virtues and culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6LnVOV1SX8

(Also, I hope their event does gangbusters, and they raise a ton of money for this very worthy cause, even if I think their metaphor isn't the best thought out)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it also bears mentioning that the overlap between “people who know what Phyrexia is” and “people who are anti-trans” is honestly pretty small in the grand scheme of things, so really the only people who might get the “wrong message” are the people who would be the most likely to understand what they were going for anyway. I doubt their is some mythical conservative, anti-trans magic player who sees this flyer and goes “a ha, I knew it! The TRANS agenda, that is EXACTLY how they spread it!” and if someone is literally that stupid then no one has to care what they think, IMO.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry for Double but:

https://twitter.com/competitiveedh/status/1507457557493092354?s=21

https://twitter.com/nickrhammond/status/1507706661107949571?s=21&t=o0cRGUfTUwT3zBHeRsWj8A

Biggest NA cEDH conference is popping off today!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 26, 2022

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it also bears mentioning that the overlap between “people who know what Phyrexia is” and “people who are anti-trans” is honestly pretty small in the grand scheme of things, so really the only people who might get the “wrong message” are the people who would be the most likely to understand what they were going for anyway. I doubt their is some mythical conservative, anti-trans magic player who sees this flyer and goes “a ha, I knew it! The TRANS agenda, that is EXACTLY how they spread it!” and if someone is literally that stupid then no one has to care what they think, IMO.

I guess you haven't seen thr newest RemyMTG video then

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.
I'm taking a shot at building a Greasefang vehicles/reanimator deck. Does anyone have any insight into what the ratio of vehicles to critters should be? I've got around 20 relatively low-powered creatures, with plenty of ways to recur them and cheat them into play, and 15 vehicles.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LachlanJ posted:

I'm taking a shot at building a Greasefang vehicles/reanimator deck. Does anyone have any insight into what the ratio of vehicles to critters should be? I've got around 20 relatively low-powered creatures, with plenty of ways to recur them and cheat them into play, and 15 vehicles.

Looking at Scryfall, the only high-impact vehicles with crew 4 or less seem to be Parhelion, Weatherlight, and Skysovereign. There's half a dozen more that are fat but don't do much else.

EDIT: Also Surgehacker Mech is decent.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 27, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LachlanJ posted:

Here are 3 lists from people who are really good at building decks:

Callahan of the Mindsculptors

Mons of CEDH TV

DeathMagic of Veil of Death

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

LachlanJ posted:

I have a list & deck tech up on my channel. Search CommanderMechanic on YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Stupid question about The Professor's Academic Kickstarter deck box: I would like to purchase the standard deckbox, the sizemorph divider in kickstarter white, then the kickstarter special tokens. I don't really want the life counter thingy. Am I reading the kickstarter correctly, that if I change my pledge amount to those individual items total ($49+$5+$18) then I'm good to go? I've backed uhh one thing on kickstarter and have no idea what I'm doing, lol