Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

whenever I get depressed I pay extra for an additional effect with the card

"but you're always playing kicker cards"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cycling for an additional effect is good
and kicker is good

So what if there was kicker cycling where you could cycle and pay a kicker cost to get back to the base effect of the card!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alec Baldwin pointing to a chalkboard that says

A Always
B Be
K Kicking

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kalli posted:

and kicker is good

So what if there was kicker cycling where you could cycle and pay a kicker cost to get back to the base effect of the card!

Some sort of way to buyback a card? That sounds really hard to make. But I bet you could make a really slick way of doing it somehow.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kalli posted:

and kicker is good

sort of

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Alec Baldwin pointing to a chalkboard that says

A Always
B Be
K Kicking

Put that Coffers down. Coffers is for Golos only. You think I'm kicking you? I'm not kicking you. I'm here from Dominaria. I'm here from Mishra Urza. And I am here with a mission of mercy. Your name is Raffine? You call yourself a demon you son of a bitch?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kalli posted:

and kicker is good

Do you mean like the Zendikar Resounding cycle?
Or Decree of Justice?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Quick check: Madness cost is 4CMC or 6CMC?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I need a sanity check. My end goal is to create a bunch of decks out of my collection that I can treat as another board game in my closet for when friends come over.

I sold everything worth more than $5, so my remaining collection is stuff that's mostly unplayable outside of limited. I thought about making set cubes, but my friends don't have any interest in drafting. Standard decks are right out since I don't have the competency to "modify down" expensive decklists to fit my card pool while maintaining power balance. I don't want to go pauper because I still want to use SOME of the uncommons and rares, and I definitely don't want to buy more commons in case I need extras for competitive pauper decks.

So I had the idea of putting together "false draft" decks, which would basically be 40-card decks that look like something you would cobble together in an average draft. They'd be mostly commons, a few uncommons, and a bomb rare or two. Each deck would be built on a popular draft archetype, since I can find lists and explanations of those for each set. For example, I did some research on Innistrad 2011 drafting and I would build Spirits, Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies. I would try to make sure that no one deck had a card that was wildly stronger than any card in the other decks, even if it would normally be a great pick for a draft.

1) Are there any downsides you vets can identify with this idea, given my goal and my resources?
2) Should I go ahead and make 60-card decks so I can use a bigger variety of lower-powered cards to make the games a bit slower and less predictable? Or is 40 going to be more "fun" on average?
3) Are set blocks made to be drafted together? If so, would I be better off making decks for each individual set, or decks that take cards from a whole block?
4) Right now I'm just googling and reading random draft format reviews from years ago, does anyone have a favorite resource for post-mortem evaluations of draft environments?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"CMC" (or MV these days) refers to the spell/card itself, not abilities that it has. The spell has a CMC of 3 regardless of how you cast it.

If you want to cycle it and then cast it with madness, it'll cost you six mana in total, spread across two separate payments. If you discard it for some other reason (maybe an opponent cast a discard spell at you) you can cast it with madness for four mana.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

big cummers ONLY posted:

I need a sanity check. My end goal is to create a bunch of decks out of my collection that I can treat as another board game in my closet for when friends come over.

I bet it would be fun to do that with one of the Modern Horizons sets. Every deck gets a couple of bulk rares and a bunch of draft chaffe. I feel like I remember those being really well-regarded draft environments and the powerlevel being higher would be fun.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm not sure what you are asking, the spell will have a cmc of 3 on the stack, but if you cycle it and pay the madness cost it will take 6 mana.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Kalli posted:

and kicker is good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

They should have given it buyback, just bc itd be funny

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Huxley posted:

I bet it would be fun to do that with one of the Modern Horizons sets. Every deck gets a couple of bulk rares and a bunch of draft chaffe. I feel like I remember those being really well-regarded draft environments and the powerlevel being higher would be fun.

Yeah that set looks perfect for this kind of plan, however I'm just trying to use cards I already own that sit in archive boxes. I bought draft booster boxes for every set from 2009-2012 and also Amonkhet and Neo Kamigawa

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

neaden posted:

I'm not sure what you are asking, the spell will have a cmc of 3 on the stack, but if you cycle it and pay the madness cost it will take 6 mana.

Trap sprung, it doesn't have a CMC, it has a mana value now

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

big cummers ONLY posted:

Yeah that set looks perfect for this kind of plan, however I'm just trying to use cards I already own that sit in archive boxes. I bought draft booster boxes for every set from 2009-2012 and also Amonkhet and Neo Kamigawa

Ah, I missed that part, sorry.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

big cummers ONLY posted:

I sold everything worth more than $5, so my remaining collection is stuff that's mostly unplayable outside of limited. I thought about making set cubes, but my friends don't have any interest in drafting. Standard decks are right out since I don't have the competency to "modify down" expensive decklists to fit my card pool while maintaining power balance. I don't want to go pauper because I still want to use SOME of the uncommons and rares, and I definitely don't want to buy more commons in case I need extras for competitive pauper decks.

So I had the idea of putting together "false draft" decks, which would basically be 40-card decks that look like something you would cobble together in an average draft. They'd be mostly commons, a few uncommons, and a bomb rare or two. Each deck would be built on a popular draft archetype, since I can find lists and explanations of those for each set. For example, I did some research on Innistrad 2011 drafting and I would build Spirits, Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies. I would try to make sure that no one deck had a card that was wildly stronger than any card in the other decks, even if it would normally be a great pick for a draft.

1) Are there any downsides you vets can identify with this idea, given my goal and my resources?
2) Should I go ahead and make 60-card decks so I can use a bigger variety of lower-powered cards to make the games a bit slower and less predictable? Or is 40 going to be more "fun" on average?
3) Are set blocks made to be drafted together? If so, would I be better off making decks for each individual set, or decks that take cards from a whole block?
4) Right now I'm just googling and reading random draft format reviews from years ago, does anyone have a favorite resource for post-mortem evaluations of draft environments?

As a fun exercise during the worst parts of the pandemic, I grabbed a playset of every common and uncommon from the most recent set at the time and made theme decks. They actually ended up helping me learn limited strategies, at least what the relative power level of each archetype was and which cards were sleeper hits. They played well together because it's essentially what R&D designs the commons and uncommons to do for limited anyway. Stick to one set, and if you have friends who are opening packs, chances are they're happy to donate you the bulk they were going to shove in a box anyway.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Perry Mason Jar posted:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Wondering what random five words will be our five new tribal mechanics for this set. I’m going to guess:

Acquit
Descend
Remand
Incur
Riddle

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Ransom was on 2 play test cards. So I'm gonna go with that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TotalHell posted:

Wondering what random five words will be our five new tribal mechanics for this set. I’m going to guess:

Acquit
Descend
Remand
Incur
Riddle
If you can't equip, you must acquit!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Extort HAS to be in this set.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Extort is explicitly WB, seems like it would be weird with the shards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Extort is explicitly WB, seems like it would be weird with the shards

One of the shards is WUB and Extort would be fine even on a blue card if it belongs to that guild clan family.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jiro posted:

It's come up before but without a rule change it would be (IMO) awkward that you'd have a tricolor set but an ability working off only two colors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jiro posted:

they keep missing all the obvious cues, like how there were zero Party cards in AFR, so obviously Extort won't be in it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There;s some Commander Balder's Gate spoilers up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Minsc is a planeswalker....

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Obviously it can't be judged on the same Standard since it's a Commander card, but WTF that card.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If only thre was a way to make a Phyrxian Dreadnought Hamster!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

HootTheOwl posted:

If only thre was a way to make a Phyrxian Dreadnought Hamster!

Maskwood Nexus is a thing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Balon posted:

Maskwood Nexus is a thing

Is it a 12/12?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it a 12/12?

It could even be a boat

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's wild to me that another commander legends set is coming out when the first one basically didn't. Who was drafting that in Nov 2020?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's like battlebond in that the people who got to play it really liked it

except, you know, battlebond wasn't during a pandemic

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
A lot of the success wasn't from people drafting it, but people just opening it. It had some serious bangers for Commander players (shocking).

Jeska's Will
Jeweled Lotus
enemy battlebond lands
Opposition Agent
Wheel of Misfortune
a huge pile of partner commanders that see a ton of play
Hullbreacher (lol)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Draft: Set: Collector: Bundle: Pre-Release:

Cards revealed for Commander Legends: Baldur's Gate

Allied Bond Lands

Reflecting Pool

Rulebook Treatment

If you buy a bundle, you get an alternate art version of Wand of Wonder

Buy-a-box for Draft, Set and Collector will get you different versions of Elder Brain.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I can't loving wait for Commander Legends 2: Electric Minsc and Boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Brass Dragon is the wrong name. Either give it another color (hello everything about them is red!!!) and ability or just name it some crystal variant or whatever. It's exactly like making the two White Dragons in AFR actually white dragons.

Also Minsc isn't a planeswalker just because he has protagonist syndrome, cmon.