Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Prosser is now saying the pixel watch will launch on May 26th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
WTF, my Watch4 has prompted me twice today to go into battery saving mode. Charged it after the first time to like 60%. The battery usage says Always On Display used about 20% of the battery, but I've noticed that the green laser on the underside of it seems to be on a lot more than I've ever seen. I've turned off most or maybe even all of the fitness/health tracking, so what is that thing turning on for? I restarted the watch when I charged it midday, for what that's worth.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

hooah posted:

WTF, my Watch4 has prompted me twice today to go into battery saving mode. Charged it after the first time to like 60%. The battery usage says Always On Display used about 20% of the battery, but I've noticed that the green laser on the underside of it seems to be on a lot more than I've ever seen. I've turned off most or maybe even all of the fitness/health tracking, so what is that thing turning on for? I restarted the watch when I charged it midday, for what that's worth.

Mine started going crazy draining battery... I just did a factory reset and will see if it helps. There was no rhyme or reason to it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know my WearOS 2.x watches will suck down battery while running updates, but give no indication that's what they're doing (other than maybe being a bit slow and sluggish). I have no idea if that's what you two might be seeing or not, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've noticed the watch will tend to keep wifi active and not let the watch go to sleep properly if there are pending Samsung app updates (including watch faces.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, I can't check for app updates because the on-watch Play Store always says "Check your connection and try again." when I'm connected to Bluetooth, which it seems to do by default.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am starting to look into a getting a watch for a few different reasons and am hoping someone might have a recommendation:

- Fitness HR tracking with maybe some notifications for target zones while running. I don't need anything crazy like cardiograms or anything but don't care if much if it has it.

- Notifications linked with a phone that will be readable on screen. I volunteer as an EMT at night and we use an app that dispatch pings when a call comes in. It would be super useful at 3 am to see at a glance if someone is having a heart attack or if they can't get off their toilet. I have a OnePlus 9 if that matters at all

- Always on display either by default or as an option with an easy seeable seconds display for EMT stuff

- Ideally internal GPS and some music storage so that I don't need a phone for super long bike rides. Not a huge deal though.

- Ideally some sort of fitness logging tie in that doesnt suck poo poo or require an expensive subscription. Tracking average HR over time and stuff like that

- Ideally not like $300+

- Don't really care what it looks like, I probably won't wear it during the day unless I am working out.

Thanks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ticwatch Pro 3 is currently $227 after coupon on Amazon.

The heart rate tracking is ok (about as ok as a non-Apple Watch or non-Fitbit).

It's the longest lasting of all the Wear watches on battery and the TN overlay display has a constantly displaying seconds counter.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll check it out, thanks

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Newest update for Galaxy Watch 4 breaks the ability for aod watch faces to update the time each minute lol

Samsung is aware and working on it as of like 3 days ago, according to a rep on a forum

e: a stock watchface I switched to is updating fine, despite the Samsung rep saying he replicated the bug with a pre installed watch face

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 18, 2022

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I got a galaxy watch 4 for Christmas and if someone had told me this was Samsung's first smartwatch or Wear was a completely new OS I'd believe them. In the first month I had two instances where the battery goee completely flat between 4-8 hours. Also had the AOD bug a couple times where it just didn't work. The other day it tried notify me 17 times in 10 minutes that I had a voicemail. Also, 3 times it has randomly changed the watchface for...reasons I do not know.

Most days it works as expected and with AOD functioning properly I get through a 12 hour day with about a 60% charge, but I stuck a 40 dollar Timex in my coat pocket after the 2nd battery issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If google ever finishes making WearOS 3.0, hopefully there will be some improvement on random bugs.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

GW4 launched with WearOS 3. Mines even running 3.2 after an update a few days ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You mistake my meaning.

Google is still actually building the OS. The only reason why GW4 has WearOS 3 is Google basically handed Samsung a beta and said "here, fill in the gaps and get it on a device."

The OS just flat out isn't done yet. That's why we don't have a Pixel Watch. That's why we don't have Google Assistant on WearOS 3. That's why every other manufacturer is shut out from using it (because they all rely on reference OS builds from Google.)

This is a case of Google knowing they needed to do something but were a year away from delivering even a developer preview, so they called on the only other watch manufacturer that had software development experience and said "Spackle the holes with what you learned from Tizen while we try to finish this thing."

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 18, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

You mistake my meaning.

Google is still actually building the OS. The only reason why GW4 has WearOS 3 is Google basically handed Samsung a beta and said "here, fill in the gaps and get it on a device."

The OS just flat out isn't done yet. That's why we don't have a Pixel Watch. That's why we don't have Google Assistant on WearOS 3. That's why every other manufacturer is shut out from using it (because they all rely on reference OS builds from Google.)

This is a case of Google knowing they needed to do something but were a year away from delivering even a developer preview, so they called on the only other watch manufacturer that had software development experience and said "Spackle the holes with what you learned from Tizen while we try to finish this thing."

This makes me feel better about waiting on WearOS 3 on my Ticwatch E3. WearOS 2 has been running just fine for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TBF, though I've had like 1 or 2 instances of abnormal battery drain (which were always resolved by updating apps on the watch and restarting) and had some UI funkiness once that I resolved by clearing out the watch cache, mine have been relatively solid. I tend to stick to the Samsung watch faces though as they just seem to be the best put together.

I will say though that there's not really any ADVANTAGE of WearOS 3 yet. The app situation has improved in the past 6 months, but it's improved for all wearOS versions (Youtube Music, Outlook finally works right.) I don't really know of any WearOS 3 exclusive stuff at the moment.

I use my Ticwatch Pro 3, Fossil Gen 6, and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic pretty interchangeably, it's just a matter of what style/form factor I want that day. I'll lean Ticwatch if I want extreme battery life though.

We STILL need a real Gmail app. We STILL need a real Google Chat app. We STILL need a Google Home tile that lets me control lights, locks, and respond to doorbells.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm being tempted by the Tag Heuer Connected E4 that comes out in March. Someone (ie bull) talk me out of it. Price isn't an issue as I just sold my Breitling which cost more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKIv-kucfcw

Specifically this variant, which I think is the best looking smart watch on the market by far.

It's still not wear os 3 (update promised whenever Samsung loses their exclusivity) but is 3 even important? Doesn't seem much different.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I'm not going to give guidance on a $2k WearOS watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah.... I think I got it out of my system already. The resale value is terrible and older models didn't even last a full day apparently.

Edit: I work across the street from a Tag Heuer store though so will take a look at onr in person in March just to satisfy my curiosity.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 19, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The way I see it, watches in that pricerange are potentially generational pieces and the only way I would even consider something like that is if they offered a program to swap out the internals of the case to something modern.

That battery is going to be toast in 2-3 years and then you have a $2k titanium case paperweight if it's not serviceable in some way.

But still, one of the things you are paying for with expensive watches is the engineering behind the movement and this (in all likelihood) just has the guts of a Fossil Gen 6 inside it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The totally real this time I promise Pixel Watch is going to have 32gb of storage apparently

https://9to5google.com/2022/03/01/pixel-watch-colors-google-report/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Seems excessive.

I'm more interested to see if they go with Exynos. If Qualcomm can't keep up it's gonna kill a lot of options.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Welp. Guess I'm rich *and* stupid

Tag Heuer Connected Calibre E4, released today.

First impressions coming from a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 classic:

-Best looking case on a smartwatch
-Best screen (both for appearance and touch) on a smartwatch
-Zippiest hardware on a smartwatch
-Best built in custom faces on a smartwatch
-Best, most comfortable band on a smartwatch
-Best unboxing experience on a smartwatch
-So glad to ditch all the Galaxy jank
-Mediocre but perfectly usable charging stand
-Tag Heuer fitness apps are really nice looking and well designed but a bit redundant with Google Fit

Worth the money? Absolutely not. It should be a little bit more than the watch 4 classic, not four times as much. But drat it looks purdy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I almost get it but nonetheless one of the most bizarre things to me are analog watch faces on smartwatches

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

I almost get it but nonetheless one of the most bizarre things to me are analog watch faces on smartwatches

I have a hard time imagining NOT using an analog face on a smartwatch, so I guess we cancel out.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

Honestly, I am still so confused by round faces on smartwatches, it makes absolutely no sense from a usability or technology standpoint and skeuomorphism seems to have been soundly rejected in pretty much every other aspect when it comes to modern technology. I guess part of it is round displays are viewed as cutting edge, but, they really aren't anymore? I feel like you could do something interesting like a watch screen that is a bit taller but has a curve to it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Three Olives posted:

Honestly, I am still so confused by round faces on smartwatches, it makes absolutely no sense from a usability or technology standpoint and skeuomorphism seems to have been soundly rejected in pretty much every other aspect when it comes to modern technology. I guess part of it is round displays are viewed as cutting edge, but, they really aren't anymore? I feel like you could do something interesting like a watch screen that is a bit taller but has a curve to it?

I don't know, round faces have been pretty standard for regular watches forever, so there is likely a certain amount of inertia that a watch as an accessory should be round. The only square watches I ever owned were super early LCD watches and calculator watches (to my eternal shame).

If someone put out a square Wear OS watch that had the hardware I want I'd consider it, for the usability reasons you mention, but I would have to get past my decades of wearing round watches to get used to it. As it is my round TicWatches are fine to use, and I'm not sure a square form factor would make the tiny keyboard much easier to type on.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
I prefer analogue faces, though i can switch to data-heavy Digital style when needed on my other not rich just stupid made by Nike not the other company ;)

designed in Beaverton, made in China

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bit concerned about the always on clock while charging the Tag. It's really bright and doesn't seem to move around/refresh like phone AOD. Hope they thought about that or it's gonna be burn in city

Also i retract my comment about the dock being mediocre. It's quite nice with strong magnets. Just took some time to get used to.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My Ticwatch E3 started not being to able to find my location last night, and I'm not sure how to try to resolve it.

I've already tried:
- restarted watch
- forgot and re-paired to phone
- turned location off and on again on watch
- installed Google Maps (which also can't find location)
- factory reset the watch and set it up again on my phone

Anyone have any suggestions for how to make WearOS remember how to find my location? The above are steps I found Googling the issue, but nothing appears to be working.

Edit: Nevermind - I opened Maps on my phone, enabled location there, and now my watch is working as expected again. I feel stupid, but I swear I had allowed location in Maps previously - I wonder if the permission got reset by an update or something. It would be nice if my watch or Wear OS or loving anything involved in the loop gave me a meaningful error message or dialog about what was going on. Anyway, problem solved.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 25, 2022

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I want to get a smart watch for my dog. Wait, hear me out.

There are lots of pet trackers on the market that are 4g LTE cellular devices with GPS for location tracking. They all require pricey subscription fees that are far more costly than the cheap low-use MVNOs are offering. So I thought I could get my dog a smart watch with 4g and be able to track its location on my phone. Problem is the cheap Chinese ones have apps that have the worst reviews I've ever seen, with complaints including how terrible the GPS tracking is, so that won't do.

Now I'm thinking about a WearOS (or Tizen, or whatever, something not totally janky) to get better quality tracking. Does anyone have a recommendation for what I should look for in the <$150 price range (used and a few gens old is fine)?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

That's actually a pretty cool idea. I would suggest going down the rabbit hole of kid GPS watches like:

* Verizon GizmoWatch 2 ($100) and $10/month
* Samsung Smarthings ($80) and $4-5/month starting year 2 via AT&T -- possibly requires a hub?
* Timex FamilyConnect ($80) and $10/month on T-Mobile
* T-Mobile SyncUp Kids ($180 or free with new line on T-Mobile) and then free?!?
* For iOS the Apple Watch 3 Cellular (~$100 used) could work, too.

I think it ultimately depends on your current provider if you're US-based I guess.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I was planning to use RedPocket mobile or similar. It's like $1.50-2.50/mo. The Timex FamilyConnect watch actually seems like one of the best ones for tracking, but I really hate the idea of paying 4x+ for the service compared to a cheapo MVNO. At that point I would just get one of the dedicated pet tracker devices. Trying to make this cheap. I rarely have a need for that level of tracking for my dog so she wouldn't even have it on her much.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Hadn't heard of RedPocket especially if you can get it for an extra $1-3/month versus the $10/1GB/Month minimum they advertise.

I assume something like Tile or an AirTag is out of the question? My dog is rocking an AirTag on his collar and there are enough iOS folks in my area to make it reasonably accurate in suburbia.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jonny Quest posted:

Hadn't heard of RedPocket especially if you can get it for an extra $1-3/month versus the $10/1GB/Month minimum they advertise.

I assume something like Tile or an AirTag is out of the question? My dog is rocking an AirTag on his collar and there are enough iOS folks in my area to make it reasonably accurate in suburbia.

Yeah it's an ebay exclusive offer -- 360 days for $30 -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/133196831828
This is a fantastic deal if you have a very low-usage device or want a second number or whatever.

My main use for it would be out in the middle of nowhere on recreational land. There wouldn't be anyone else to hear from a Tile or AirTag, but there is 4G signal there.

Also I'm an Android user. The Apple watch suggestion would be fine if there's a way to track its location from my Android phone. I can't seem to get a clear answer on that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What would a current go-to be that has both wifi and some degree of water proofing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I dont think theres a new WearOS option on the market that doesnt fit this two criteria.

That said, waterproofing is about the same as what you find on phones. It can handle being rinsed off, but they arent designed for swimming. You would want a Garmin device if thats your intent.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Most of the ones I looked at literally mention swimming in their descriptions, but I know they would probably hang you out to dry if it died because of submersion.

I went with the Samsung 4. Its not for me, its for a couple of VIPs at work so they can leave their phones behind and still get notifications and things. See how this goes.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Going back to Dog Tracker chat for a second, the several year old LTE Samsung watch with TizenOS has an eBay clearance sale on today for $55. That's almost impulse buyable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2544360802...e29dea6a24e0INT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jonny Quest posted:

Going back to Dog Tracker chat for a second, the several year old LTE Samsung watch with TizenOS has an eBay clearance sale on today for $55. That's almost impulse buyable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2544360802...e29dea6a24e0INT

I was about to buy it but then I looked at the similar product recommendations and saw this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254527027054 which I decided to go with because it's a smaller watch and should have identical functionality for my use case.

Thanks very much for the heads up!