Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Severance is still great so far. It's still really keeping pace in a good way but has extreme danger of not actually wrapping anything up. If that concept is concerning enough to prevent you from watching, wait and I'll let you know. I've enjoyed the progression so far regardless.

Pam & Tommy is a downer but interesting. Trying to be sympathetic to everyone can come off stupid, but this really does seem like a scenario that just sucks. I realize the makeup isn't perfect but Lily James looks just like how my preteen brain remembered Pamela Anderson looking, and it's weird. I also realized I felt like Sebastian Stan was charismatic only from his interviews, not from his acting, and in this role he finally gets stuff to do and he's great.

I get why actual Pam Anderson doesn't want to watch it, but it's more sympathetic to her than anyone else. Honestly makes me feel even worse for her.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Season 1 of "Our Flag Means Death" concluded today.

Found it to be very entertaining and surprised they went the whole way into the two protagonists being a couple. Thought it would just be a bromance.

Same reaction. I may have said "interesting" out loud.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Archive 81 has been cancelled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
on episode 5 of Welcome to Flatch and the quality has remained consistent. it's a very high recommend. almost like a cross between trailer park boys and parks and rec. Holmes is so goddamn funny in it

edit: and Sean William Scott is great

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Severance is really cool I haven’t watched the new episode yet tho. I got an ad from apple books that there’s a tie in E book for it for free haha. Interesting…

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Disposable Scud posted:

Goddammit Netflix! :mad:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Disposable Scud posted:

It didn't deliver on its promise. I thought it looked and sounded good without ever being particularly scary or intriguing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It draaaaaaaged

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Junkie Disease posted:

It draaaaaaaged

Well I loved it.

You kind of need to build up to something like that, even if it is a foregone conclusion.

Didn't need a second season though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the first half of the season when there was a lot of mystery and the horror was landing a little harder. It starts to become clear whats going on in the latter half and then well before the finale the show lays all of it's cards on the table. So the last couple eps are just seeing what happens to characters I didn't care about much tbh. I felt like they over explained the mysterious aspects of the show to the point where they stopped being interesting. I think letting the viewer at least partially piece it together themselves would have gone a long way.

I would have watched a season 2 though so it's kind of a shame it was canceled.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I liked parts of it but the book parts were grating and yes, pretentious as gently caress. Just because they explicitly call it pretentious at the end doesn’t change what you had to endure through the series

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How did they make John Goodman look so young during the flashback scenes of “The Righteous Gemstones”?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Really good cgi.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Severance didn't initially hook me, took a few days to watch the first two episodes. I picked it back up yesterday evening and ended up watching the next 5 one after the other. Not sure if they're gonna stick the landing just yet, but I'm really digging it now.

I really enjoyed the Milchick 5 min dance party, and the BIL's book quotes are cracking me up

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CelticPredator posted:

Really good cgi.

I was so confused.

I thought they had used age make-up on him the rest of the time.

:corsair:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/de-aging-tv-vfx-helped-john-goodman-lose-decades-righteous-gemstones-1248467/amp/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

These deepfakes are getting scary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Archive 81 is one of those shows i put on while i was playing some game, and the next time i looked up it was on episode 5

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I found Archive 81 mildly spooky and the protagonist's situation very compelling and relatable.

I also remember liking Rosemary's Baby.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Severance didn't initially hook me, took a few days to watch the first two episodes. I picked it back up yesterday evening and ended up watching the next 5 one after the other. Not sure if they're gonna stick the landing just yet, but I'm really digging it now.

I really enjoyed the Milchick 5 min dance party, and the BIL's book quotes are cracking me up
...latin for "a device that produces a photograph"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
google really knows me. i typed "creepypasta tv show" and Channel Zero was the first result.

thought there might have been a new season of that by now, but alas. it was far better than it had any right to be

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The production values on the new Halo show compare relatively unfavorably to late 1990s era Sci Fi channel shows.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Doesn’t help that the 5th episode from Book of Boba was basically Halo already (and majestic at that).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

precision posted:

google really knows me. i typed "creepypasta tv show" and Channel Zero was the first result.

thought there might have been a new season of that by now, but alas. it was far better than it had any right to be

Incredibly slept on show, it rules

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mcmagic posted:

The production values on the new Halo show compare relatively unfavorably to late 1990s era Sci Fi channel shows.

Considering that they made good shows of LoL and Witcher and something truly sublime from Castlevania it is very fitting that I'm not going to watch Halo any more than I play it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

It didn't deliver on its promise. I thought it looked and sounded good without ever being particularly scary or intriguing.

It had some really cool high points, but then it really went off course towards the end, and then the last shot of the finale removed any interest I had in watching it again.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Not to tell you how to post but there is a severance thread with a lot of discussion.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Considering that they made good shows of LoL and Witcher and something truly sublime from Castlevania it is very fitting that I'm not going to watch Halo any more than I play it.

Only Netflix seems to have the magic touch of not having video game properties translate to poo poo TV shows.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched an excellent, concise, no-nonsense informational youtube recap of the first season of Raised by Wolves to prepare for viewing the second season and wow, yeah, all that crazy poo poo really did happen.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

smackfu posted:

Not to tell you how to post but there is a severance thread with a lot of discussion.

But this is the one true thread. I must not deviate. Also the newest episode was amazing

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched an excellent, concise, no-nonsense informational youtube recap of the first season of Raised by Wolves to prepare for viewing the second season and wow, yeah, all that crazy poo poo really did happen.

I probably need that too; post the link

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Google Butt posted:

speaking of nc17.. hell yea dude

:coolspot:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

smackfu posted:

I consider this the "casual mentions" thread, we're good. I brought it up again just to update.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

david_a posted:

I probably need that too; post the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rht9P0bYSFI

It's so helpful.

Some might say knowing what's going on in Raised by Wolves spoils the fun, I say they're wrong.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So, Degrassi the next generation is on HBO in its entirety. My wife had never seen it so I got to show off a few episodes of pure Canadian teen drama and she's hooked.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I have a very low level Vizio TV from 4 years ago, and some janky-rear end internet service, and it's incredible the difference between the various apps:

Hulu, Apple TV+ - They absolutely hate my TV. They'll play maybe one episode of a show, maybe, then completely poo poo the bed for no reason I can see.

HBO MAX, Disney+, Paramount+ - These mostly seem to be friends with my TV, though occasional arguments arise.

Netflix, Prime Video - They just play stuff with no backtalk and it's great. No errors, no buffering, no poo poo.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

I have a very low level Vizio TV from 4 years ago, and some janky-rear end internet service, and it's incredible the difference between the various apps:

Hulu, Apple TV+ - They absolutely hate my TV. They'll play maybe one episode of a show, maybe, then completely poo poo the bed for no reason I can see.

HBO MAX, Disney+, Paramount+ - These mostly seem to be friends with my TV, though occasional arguments arise.

Netflix, Prime Video - They just play stuff with no backtalk and it's great. No errors, no buffering, no poo poo.

This is a thing in my house, too. There are plenty of screens - TVs, tablets, and PCs - but finding one that won't poo poo the bed with whatever app I want to use, and isn't already occupied, is the real problem.

Like you, Hulu and Apple TV+ are the ones that give me the most trouble.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I've watched from my firestick, and my playstation. That's pretty much my experience across the board. Netflix and Disney Plus are the only ones with a decent UI though. Apple's is probably the worst.

Edit: I'm trying to catch up with all of the best picture nominees in time for the Oscars tomorrow, and I just have Drive My Car and Belfast left. I'm in the middle of the 3 hour (!!!!) Drive My Car. It's good so far, but I've realized that the only Haruki Murakami film adaptations have been of his stories of love and lost. The Norwegian Wood adaptation was terrible. I would love to see an adaptation of Kafka by the Shore or the Wind Up Bird Chronicle, I love his use of magical realism in those.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 27, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rht9P0bYSFI

It's so helpful.

Some might say knowing what's going on in Raised by Wolves spoils the fun, I say they're wrong.

There is no "knowing what's going on" in that show. The people writing it don't even know what is going on. Either you enjoy complete insanity or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's insane but it's not hard to follow or anything imo.