Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My ideal scenario for Scathe would be to up the MP cost to the same as Fire 1 and make it refresh Astral Fire/Umbral Ice. Now it's a recovery tool that ideally you don't use but still serves a purpose beyond being a very minor optimization tool in the easiest content in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Either Lucid Dreaming should get a self-heal component, or Scathe should become Drain, or both.

Make it have 2 charges/no MP cost and is an instant refresh of your Astral Fire timer. Only worth using if you really hosed up your Insta casts but a little crutch if you do so it is only a partial DPS loss.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, it appears Fire 1 and Blizzard 1 are useless at mid- to high- levels, but technically remain in your suite? I suppose the idea is you just pretend they were completely transformed into Paradox because that's the reality of when you'd press those buttons, right?

I'm only level 33 in the class now, having a serious look at it versus my commitment to red mage, so I have new-to-job questions aplenty.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fire 1 only gets phased out at max level, since Fire 4 doesn't reset Astral Fire. Blizzard 1 stops being useful whenever Thunder3/Blizzard4/Foul/Xenoglossy gives you enough actions to cast useful spells just long enough to get all your mana back.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

SuperKlaus posted:

Also, it appears Fire 1 and Blizzard 1 are useless at mid- to high- levels, but technically remain in your suite? I suppose the idea is you just pretend they were completely transformed into Paradox because that's the reality of when you'd press those buttons, right?

I'm only level 33 in the class now, having a serious look at it versus my commitment to red mage, so I have new-to-job questions aplenty.

blizzard i is useless once you get blizzard iii at 35, but fire i is useful for keeping astral fire active, especially once you get fire iv right up until you unlock paradox

v - true :newlol:

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 24, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

And Paradox just proc’s over Fire I anyway so you need in on your bar.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ruzihm posted:

blizzard i is useless once you get blizzard iii at 35, but fire i is useful for keeping astral fire active, especially once you get fire iv right up until you unlock paradox

Blizzard has this use case: if you're really just completely in the poo poo, and have less than 800 mp and aren't in either elemental aspect, you can cast Blizzard on the nearest enemy of opportunity to get into UI and start regenerating MP rapidly several mana ticks before you'll be able to cast Blizzard II or III.

That said, I think that Paradox should only be castable by pressing the opposite button from usual (like in AF, you press the Blizzard button) in order for there to be reason to keep both spells on your bar and to technically allow you to "save" Paradox (which is a very big hit usable only once per phase) if for some reason you wanted to refresh by dealing a small amount of damage to one target (like a bomb you need to push) while saving the real hit for another, more important target.

Another cool thing to do would be to have "Astral Paradox" and "Umbral Paradox" be technically distinct spells, so at any time you could choose to either throw a slow-cast paradox that has a chance to proc Firestarter or an instant-cast Paradox.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

Blizzard has this use case: if you're really just completely in the poo poo, and have less than 800 mp and aren't in either elemental aspect, you can cast Blizzard on the nearest enemy of opportunity to get into UI and start regenerating MP rapidly several mana ticks before you'll be able to cast Blizzard II or III.

That said, I think that Paradox should only be castable by pressing the opposite button from usual (like in AF, you press the Blizzard button) in order for there to be reason to keep both spells on your bar and to technically allow you to "save" Paradox (which is a very big hit usable only once per phase) if for some reason you wanted to refresh by dealing a small amount of damage to one target (like a bomb you need to push) while saving the real hit for another, more important target.

Another cool thing to do would be to have "Astral Paradox" and "Umbral Paradox" be technically distinct spells, so at any time you could choose to either throw a slow-cast paradox that has a chance to proc Firestarter or an instant-cast Paradox.

Please I’m a controller user and right now all my rotation GCDs fit on my first hotbar. :(

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

In a long enough boss fight with no breaks I can get under 1000MP on Summoner but I won't run out unless I have to rez someone

Doing some quick math, and even with the fastest possible SMN set that's currently listed for BiS (2.2s GCD), SMN is still MP positive as long as you are hitting Lucid on cooldown. The small buff Lucid got from ShB to EW (50 to 55 potency, so an extra 350 MP over its duration) is a much bigger deal than it appears, especially with regards to non-WHM healers and MP economy.

I know Lucid is a boring button, but please use it, even as RDM/SMN. As long as you do so, MP will only be a problem if you need to raise multiple times in a short timespan.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 25, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the lucid talk got me to look at my parses on analysis to see when I push it on red mage - generally when I'm raiding I end up just habitually pressing off-gcd cooldowns at the same time over multiple pulls which ends up being both a good and bad thing - and I see I mostly pop it about a minute into a pull and keep it on cooldown after. I can think of maybe two instances where I bottomed out of MP and it was either because I died or I raised a lot because we were pushing zombies through to see a phase (no idea which is which)

it's a good button!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I got roped into playing Dancer for this savage tier, when previously I'd always gone melee. I enjoy the job and I like to think I've gotten pretty good with it.

I also leveled Machinist 80-90 recently, and while it doesn't spin my wheels quite as much as Dancer, I still like playing it.

Bard though? Bard is just not fun. So many uninteresting oGCDs with their own timers, and all three songs feature different ways to see if they can make you clip your GCDs while weaving them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah that's what makes BRD fun. you're spinning 5 plates all at once.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah that's what makes BRD fun. you're spinning 5 plates all at once.

Based on the post, I think their opinion is 2 Chakram > 5 Plates. Please laugh.

I've been meaning to try dancer, but I need to get my leveling priority in order so I can stop wasting XP from the MSQ on my GNB, because fast queues are an XP firehose.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ruzihm posted:

I would say that it is still somewhat useful until you get Blizzard 4 at level 58. You need two MP ticks to get full MP in Umbral Ice 3, and Thunder 3 plus Fire 3 is only 4.25 seconds at base spell speed. So unless you get an early MP tick, it's very possible to go back to Astral Fire with less MP and lose Fire 1s, especially when you have more spell speed. Adding in a Blizzard 1 if you fail to get an early tick is going to be better than either waiting around or losing Fire 1s. Once you get Blizzard 4 you add another GCD to every Ice phase and Blizzard 1 is basically just a recovery tool for if you have to Transpose early to save AF/UI.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Got a 2 minute in-progress Castrum for MQS. With me there were only five people in the group, so four people immediately left when they saw it was Castrum. What makes it extra lovely is there were two first timers! It's entirely due to the mogtomes. Castrum and Prae just shouldn't give mogtomes at all.

also if you want mogtomes that badly you can just run AV! literally anyone who's unlocked gunbreaker can do it with three blues.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's not big compared to actually skilled players, but I got a 45-parse in P1S on my bard tonight. Highest I've done, feeling pretty proud of that particularly because it felt sloppy. Part of that's going to be just where the boss happens to die in a 2-min cycle, but I've also been working on my GCD uptime and brought that up from low 80s to 90%. When things get distracting I have a habit of forgetting which of my buttons are oGCD and which aren't, with a couple in particular (Pitch Perfect) getting their hooks in for some reason.

It's a shame my raid group is a bunch of 40 year-olds who can manage about three hours a week for raiding in between life, not all at once. I don't think we're ever going to get past P2S in a single week. But we have fun.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Gobbeldygook posted:

Got a 2 minute in-progress Castrum for MQS. With me there were only five people in the group, so four people immediately left when they saw it was Castrum. What makes it extra lovely is there were two first timers! It's entirely due to the mogtomes. Castrum and Prae just shouldn't give mogtomes at all.

also if you want mogtomes that badly you can just run AV! literally anyone who's unlocked gunbreaker can do it with three blues.

Nah, people abandon Castrum even without a mogtome event going on. Leaving MSQ roulette should forfeit your bonus imo.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I had a Castrum like that last week: queued as healer, got a 3-minute in-progress run, and learned that one healer and both tanks had insta-ditched. It took us until nearly the last boss to get replacement tanks. 6-man no-tank Castrum was kind of novel -- taking down small packs as we went, not the usual megapull -- but I imagine that was only viable due to power bloat.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Yeah I saw plenty of castrum quitters back when I was leveling jobs, before the moogle event started. I think the mogtomes per hour is about the same for the two.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Knocked out the last of lanners today and have 2 kamuy to go. Getting a keyboard and trying out party finder has been a major upgrade.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its fine, soon the rework of Prae and Castrum will arrive and Praetorium will probably be not much longer or valuable than Castrum is now.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Raised By Birds posted:

Yeah I saw plenty of castrum quitters back when I was leveling jobs, before the moogle event started. I think the mogtomes per hour is about the same for the two.

Kazy posted:

Nah, people abandon Castrum even without a mogtome event going on. Leaving MSQ roulette should forfeit your bonus imo.
People always ditch castrum but mogtomes make people go loving crazy. They're the same XP and mogtomes per hour but people refuse to see it. Even tank MSQR queues are longer than an AV clear!

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Gobbeldygook posted:

People always ditch castrum but mogtomes make people go loving crazy. They're the same XP and mogtomes per hour but people refuse to see it. Even tank MSQR queues are longer than an AV clear!

Mogtomes do make people nuts, but I've noticed that it's only very recently that Castrum is guaranteed to have a few people drop from it before it even properly begins. It did not used to be like this! I've been playing for years and doing MSQ roulette for years and it did not used to be almost guaranteed for everyone to just gently caress off from Castrum. Maybe there'd be some grumbling, maybe one person would quietly drop now and then, but it has never been like this, to my recollection. What the hell's going on to suddenly make people feel empowered to do that?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Messed with my glamour again going back to SAM for Stormblood.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We have CM ditching posters in this thread!

It’s lovely especially since CM is twice as fast as prae if you have a full group.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Twice as fast at half the exp, which is why people ditch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That sounds like the expected return on each for your time invested is equal! That makes it more lovely to dip right away.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I started reaper last night as my trinity (blm, war, sge) is 90 now.

Immediately I like the reaper quest giver and want to know more lore. CJ is a dumbass for not respecting the content and snoozing through this poo poo.

Anyway, it looks like a similar build/spend model to war, where I use my soul reaper abilities alternatingly as I build enough soul juice? Do I have that mostly right for someone completely new to the class?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Pretty much.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

That sounds like the expected return on each for your time invested is equal! That makes it more lovely to dip right away.

But you only get to do it once a day. So assuming it's one of the more efficient xp per time spent activities, you're basically still getting half of a theoretical daily maximum.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You can spend that other 20 minutes doing things that will net you similar experience. And if you’re done with everything there is to do in a day (dubious at best with how much content is ignored), you have 20 extra minutes to do something fun instead.

Leaving CM is lovely no matter how you want to spin it, and you’re not really getting much benefit especially if you’re the first to leave and get a penalty for abandoning the duty.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

But you only get to do it once a day. So assuming it's one of the more efficient xp per time spent activities, you're basically still getting half of a theoretical daily maximum.

Isn't the roulette bonus independent of what you get?

Roulette + Adv. In Need + Base Rewards of the Trial/Dungeon/Raid?

That's what I always thought anyway, since I still get 100 allegans from Sohm Al (Hard) no matter how many times the gear I want for glamour doesn't drop...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nah, Prae does give more experience than CM. I’m not sure if it is actually 2x, but it is more because it takes twice as long to complete.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Warmachine posted:

Isn't the roulette bonus independent of what you get?

Roulette + Adv. In Need + Base Rewards of the Trial/Dungeon/Raid?

That's what I always thought anyway, since I still get 100 allegans from Sohm Al (Hard) no matter how many times the gear I want for glamour doesn't drop...

The roulette bonuses that have specific numbers in the duty finder window are independent of what duty you get, yes. The exp doesn't have a specific number because it scales to what duty you get. In leveling, for instance, you'll get a larger roulette bonus from sastasha than you would get from an EW leveling dungeon, because the latter gives you more exp itself and the larger sastasha bonus is to make up for that difference. In msq roulette prae gets a larger roulette bonus because it takes longer. You'll still get the same number of roulette bonus tomes in either, though, yeah. (+ newbie bonus + the duty's own rewards + AIN)

To the rest of the conversation, this does not make ditching CM any less lovely.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can spend that other 20 minutes doing things that will net you similar experience. And if you’re done with everything there is to do in a day (dubious at best with how much content is ignored), you have 20 extra minutes to do something fun instead.

Leaving CM is lovely no matter how you want to spin it, and you’re not really getting much benefit especially if you’re the first to leave and get a penalty for abandoning the duty.
Probably won't help if that 20 minutes is only stuff that is less efficient or spent waiting in queues. Don't disagree it's lovely behavior, but it's silly to act like there is no logic behind why people do it. Though, I do kind of agree that you're kind of forfeiting any benefits by sticking yourself with a leaver penalty.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
They just need to up the penalty for leaving. If it could be coded where if you queue as part of roulette and you leave right away, it penalizes you harder because you pulled such a baby move. Before tomestone even hit I would see 4-5 people leave a Dun Scaith run because “waaah it’s not CT”

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I still think ADR is something they could just stand to incentivize better so people don't feel like their time is wasted by Dumb Scaith and the other later raids. That and just make cheesing impossible by making it scale your ilvl up so long as you qualify otherwise.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Oxyclean posted:

Dumb Scaith

:argh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The correct term is Fun Scaith. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
They could probably never incentivize content past a certain point of Pay Attention And Do A Mechanic nearly enough to keep people from dropping their item level or just ditching. It's probably best if they figure out some sort of item level scaling or rework the leaving penalties. People are always going to be selfish and as much as I want to lecture people that you're queuing for this stuff to help new people get their clears, that's not going to actually fix anything.