Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
“I disarm the trap.” is so boring anyways. If you’re gonna put a trap in have it be a puzzle one or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd you can scavenge it for parts, it can be like a hidden treat

Free explosives and poisons, you say

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

traps are only good if they are forecasted, interactive, and add challenge to an existing or upcoming encounter. a trap that is thoroughly hidden forces passivity and tedium in players lest they be punished, a non interactive trap is merely an arbitrary random number gate, and a trap outside the context of some other challenge is rolling dice for the sake of rolling dice. can you disarm the trap? maybe, but who cares. the punishment for failure is the cleric has to use a spell slot

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There is a trap in eyes if the stone thief that is a bunch of obvious slots in the wall, 6 feet up. When you trigger it the floor lifts up and saw blades come out. That one made me lol.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I like how you're all dissecting/breaking down the intricacies of traps within the game, stemming from me venting about a lovely DM who did no save insta-deaths and making Yu-Gi-Oh references :v:

I might need to write about him in Notable Experiences, also the "first time DM mimic dungeon" it reminded me of.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So I found some homebrew for removing ability scores from 5th Edition.

A lot of it looks mathematically solid from a quick skim, although I don't know how to feel about the separation of Athletics and Brawn (the latter covers Shoves/Grapples/combat maneuvers), although History being renamed "Society" that also covers general culture seems good, as well as Nature absorbing Survival. The Fortitude/Reflex/Will saves make a comeback, although Will feels quite powerful as it now covers the role of Constitution saves to concentrate on spells in addition to Intelligence/Wisdom/Charisma saves. There's also the problem with medium/heavy armor feeling virtually identical, and the proposed "reduce all damage taken by 1" for heavy armor isn't enough of a benefit at middle to higher levels of play to be noticeable.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm running a level 4 one-shot right now and the party has been tasked with retrieving a magical item from an aasimar socialite who's throwing a rager and forcing everyone to get blasted. What they don't know is that he switched places with a devil and the wine casks have been spiked with midnight tears, so all of the guests will be ritually sacrificed at midnight when the poison goes off. None of the party bothered drinking (they probably suspect something is up), but for the other guests, should they just straight up die when midnight hits? AKA, does the poison's effects stack if you drink more than one dose?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
My friend last night said they are going to be bringing two campaign settings back. He thinks it's Dragonlance and Spelljammer. Anyone heard anything about this?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

change my name posted:

I'm running a level 4 one-shot right now and the party has been tasked with retrieving a magical item from an aasimar socialite who's throwing a rager and forcing everyone to get blasted. What they don't know is that he switched places with a devil and the wine casks have been spiked with midnight tears, so all of the guests will be ritually sacrificed at midnight when the poison goes off. None of the party bothered drinking (they probably suspect something is up), but for the other guests, should they just straight up die when midnight hits? AKA, does the poison's effects stack if you drink more than one dose?
A single dose costs 1,500 gp and the poison has no effect until the ingester has consumed a whole dose, how many doses were put into the casks!?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

imagine dungeons posted:

“I disarm the trap.” is so boring anyways. If you’re gonna put a trap in have it be a puzzle one or something.

When I'm doing traps I always use Grimtooths. Much better than "DC 15 Poison dart trap":
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151194/Grimtooths-Ultimate-Traps-Collection

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lammasu posted:

My friend last night said they are going to be bringing two campaign settings back. He thinks it's Dragonlance and Spelljammer. Anyone heard anything about this?

Dragonlance is confirmed, there's been a bunch of playtest stuff released. I don't know that we've gotten any kind of confirmation on the other setting, but Spelljammer seems to be one that people have speculated it will be.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Lammasu posted:

Nothing definite from Wizards of the Coast going "hell yes," but as for Dragonlance it's due to a variety of factors.

First is that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are releasing the first in a new trilogy of novels for the setting in late 2022.

https://www.polygon.com/22841205/dragonlance-books-dragons-of-deceit-release-date-price-weis-hickman

Second is the recently-released Unearthed Arcana detailing rules for iconic Dragonlance concepts, such as a re-imagined Kender race and playing as the Solamnic Knights and Wizards of High Sorcery.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/heroes-krynn

Third, and perhaps not as big but still interesting, is that the Dragonlance Nexus released two free PDFs for playing in Krynn in 5th Edition. The first, Tasslehoff's Pouches of Everything, is a general-purpose guide. The second, Champions of Krynn, is an adventure based on the 1990 video game and is the first in a series.

https://dragonlancenexus.com/tasslehoffs-pouches-of-everything/
https://dragonlancenexus.com/champions-of-krynn-chapter-1/

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Lammasu posted:

Obvious frontrunner is Dragonlance, they just put up an Unearthed Arcana "Heroes of Krynn"

Spelljammer and Dark Sun are the solid runner-ups, the last Unearthed Arcana featured "astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

If you want some new Spelljammer content there are people making really cool stuff for OSR systems. Its mostly system neutral:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/376271/Planar-Compass-Zines-BUNDLE
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/150549/Crawljammer-16-Zine-BUNDLE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

Obvious frontrunner is Dragonlance, they just put up an Unearthed Arcana "Heroes of Krynn"

Spelljammer and Dark Sun are the solid runner-ups, the last Unearthed Arcana featured "astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen."

No way modern Wizards of the Coast is going to do Dark Sun. It might be a similar setting but I think they will tone down the genocide and slavery

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Rutibex posted:

No way modern Wizards of the Coast is going to do Dark Sun. It might be a similar setting but I think they will tone down the genocide and slavery
That's a good point, my players were very surprised when they realized why there weren't any beggars in the City of Brass

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

FFT posted:

That's a good point, my players were very surprised when they realized why there weren't any beggars in the City of Brass

What do you mean by this. Wizards has not made a 5e City of Brass supplement.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

No, but there's plenty of older material to work from and they're currently doing some plane jumping.

As to the specific, the City of Brass is primarily run by (lawful evil) efreeti and slavery is a Big Thing there

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

FFT posted:

No, but there's plenty of older material to work from and they're currently doing some plane jumping.

As to the specific, the City of Brass is primarily run by (lawful evil) efreeti and slavery is a Big Thing there

The Efreet are still slavers

quote:

Spiteful Slavers. Efreet view all other creatures as enemies or potential serfs. They raid the Material Plane and the elemental planes for slaves, which they capture and bring back to their homes on the Elemental Plane of Fire. The efreet rule as oppressive tyrants, promoting only the cruelest among their slaves. Those overseers are given whips to help keep the rank-and-file slaves in line.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I want WotC to get drunk on their own successes and bring back Birthright.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Rutibex posted:

When I'm doing traps I always use Grimtooths. Much better than "DC 15 Poison dart trap":
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151194/Grimtooths-Ultimate-Traps-Collection

Ooooh! That’s spicy! Thanks!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Oh yeah, Grimtooth's is fantastic for traps:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
How do you get the rope in the first place?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

That rope is also a trap.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Lammasu posted:

How do you get the rope in the first place?
Carefully, because it's over a pit of acid or lava

Mage Hand was the method of choice the one time I've inflicted it on players

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I love that it unloads a crap ton of arrows as well. Just for kicks.

edit:

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I like how you're all dissecting/breaking down the intricacies of traps within the game, stemming from me venting about a lovely DM who did no save insta-deaths and making Yu-Gi-Oh references :v:

I might need to write about him in Notable Experiences, also the "first time DM mimic dungeon" it reminded me of.

We’re big fans of mimics here.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 25, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

imagine dungeons posted:

I keep threatening my players with "the toilet mimic" and it might show up eventually

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

pog boyfriend posted:

traps are only good if they are forecasted, interactive, and add challenge to an existing or upcoming encounter. a trap that is thoroughly hidden forces passivity and tedium in players lest they be punished, a non interactive trap is merely an arbitrary random number gate, and a trap outside the context of some other challenge is rolling dice for the sake of rolling dice. can you disarm the trap? maybe, but who cares. the punishment for failure is the cleric has to use a spell slot

I appreciated the traps in a 4e campaign I just wrapped up. Towards the end of the campaign dungeon is a trap room with 3 separate traps: a massive statue that attacks everything around it, a pair of dragon statues that blast people into the path of the giant statue, and then an area with four statues that locks off with a wall of force, and begins filling with water and trashing whoever is trapped inside until they successfully break the statues.

My players loved it! They immediately jumped onto the giant statue attempting to disable it, while another ran forward and got stuck in the water trap. The traps acted in the turn order on their own initiative, so the players had to really work together to get through the encounter.

The final encounter in the campaign has a trap as well, basically a portal of annihilation that lures people into a range where it can then attempt to pull them inside. It also healed the bbeg every time it hit someone. Definitely the most fun use of traps that I’ve seen in D&D.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

change my name posted:

I keep threatening my players with "the toilet mimic" and it might show up eventually

I saw someone suggest a corpse mimic and it's something I have to do. Shame is mimics are only threats to a small range of levels.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I'm playing a half-orc drunken master monk in one of my campaigns and I dunno man, I think they gotta do something about stunning strike. It's just too good compared to the other abilities, and when you go up against a boss you spam it until it procs and then it's GG. You can mitigate that as a DM but it just needs to land once.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lammasu posted:

I saw someone suggest a corpse mimic and it's something I have to do. Shame is mimics are only threats to a small range of levels.

There's a CR 8 hoard mimic in Fizban's you could easily swap out "treasure pile" for another huge object, like a house, and keep the same stats

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Don't give monsters class levels, that way lies madness, but you can always pump them up. Extra hit dice and proficiency bonus, better stats, go hog wild.

If a mimic is also a house it should get lair actions imo

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

imagine dungeons posted:

Back in the 3e days I bought The World's Largest Dungeon and ran a campaign in it. There was a mimic encounter in it that my players loved (I overheard one of them telling some of my other friends about it at my wedding almost 15 years later). While exploring a series of clean and dust-free hallways, the party sees ahead a treasure chest apparently floating in midair in the middle of the hallway. Inspecting closer, they notice the air in front of them has a hazy sheen. The players clearly understood it was a gelatinous cube before them, but when they decided they were powerful enough for one of them to dive into the cube, grab the chest, and then have the rest of them help pull him back out, the fun began, when the chest itself bit down on the unlucky rogue and began grappling him and holding him in the cube. The mimic and the cube had developed a symbiotic relationship where the cube could also spit the mimic out with its pseudopods to make grapple attacks once the rogue did get out and then pull people back into the cube, and a few other tricks. After they finally killed both, they barricaded themselves off in an old alchemy lab off of the hallway, and while the party was setting up camp, the psion started rummaging around the shelf full of books, alchemy equipment, ingredients and potions to see what was there, but what he said was "I lick the bookshelf"

"As you lick the shelf, your tongue sticks to it, and the bookshelf-shaped mimic clamps down to latch onto your head. Roll initiative."

Everyone howled laughing.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 25, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

change my name posted:

There's a CR 8 hoard mimic in Fizban's you could easily swap out "treasure pile" for another huge object, like a house, and keep the same stats

A pile of corpses.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

SCPs are D&D gold
https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qhthBz-ag

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I know my current crop of players are atypical but they are of the "we kick down the door" type.
Doesn't matter if it's the fighter or the wizard they all play completely contemptuous of the idea there could be any hidden dangers. They never search for traps and in fact several have outright stated they think the most reliable way to find a trap is to trigger it.

After dozens of sessions this has decreased my willingness to run any kind of hidden trap since it is uninteresting in the opposite way: they will trigger it, eat the damage or bad situation, and continue to do the same thing next time.

I do use passive perception though, so active only happens when they search or I prompt them to search.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Eh, I'd still use the hidden dangers and traps, just put zero effort into properly concealing them. You can always build complex traps they can facetank and smash their way through as what are effectively combat encounters. One of my groups is kind of like that sometimes and IMO if diving headlong into danger is fun for them, let them have danger to dive headlong into - if they succeed they'll feel cool, if they fail it's excellent slapstick humor.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
dnd tonight. situation: a ship with a few pirates on board. its mast reaches up near the top of a cliff. we (party of 3) are on the top of the cliff and want to sneak on to the ship, via the mast our goal was to take out the pirates before they could sound the alarm

first person goes. a tabaxi rogue, she easily climbs down the mast stealthily and lands on the deck

second person is a tiefling barbarian who can fly. she just flies down, making no noise

my turn. human fighter, proficient in athletics (+6), gets on the mast and tries to climb down. i fail athletics check and falls. i then fail my dex (+2) check to grab on to a rope or some rigging. the flying tiefling barbarian fails her athletics check (+6) to catch me

i fall 100 feet and crash into the deck, making a huge racket, destroying my potions, and end up near death as the tabaxi looks on, shocked. the pirates are alerted, our stealth infiltration was ruined, and i almost died because i couldn't grab on to a loving rope

luckily the tiefling had a health potion that she poured into my unconscious throat, saving me from a very embarrassing death

the whole sequence was fantastic. we were laughing so hard as the dm was rolling 10d6 to see how badly I'd injured myself after loving up repeatedly trying to perform a simple infiltration

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Gravity has always been the most powerful weapon in D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

redleader posted:

dnd tonight. situation: a ship with a few pirates on board. its mast reaches up near the top of a cliff. we (party of 3) are on the top of the cliff and want to sneak on to the ship, via the mast our goal was to take out the pirates before they could sound the alarm

first person goes. a tabaxi rogue, she easily climbs down the mast stealthily and lands on the deck

second person is a tiefling barbarian who can fly. she just flies down, making no noise

my turn. human fighter, proficient in athletics (+6), gets on the mast and tries to climb down. i fail athletics check and falls. i then fail my dex (+2) check to grab on to a rope or some rigging. the flying tiefling barbarian fails her athletics check (+6) to catch me

i fall 100 feet and crash into the deck, making a huge racket, destroying my potions, and end up near death as the tabaxi looks on, shocked. the pirates are alerted, our stealth infiltration was ruined, and i almost died because i couldn't grab on to a loving rope

luckily the tiefling had a health potion that she poured into my unconscious throat, saving me from a very embarrassing death

the whole sequence was fantastic. we were laughing so hard as the dm was rolling 10d6 to see how badly I'd injured myself after loving up repeatedly trying to perform a simple infiltration
What kind of ship has a 100 ft. mast?