Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My local car share is good. It has served me well for 10 years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

yeah zipcar is ok although sure i'd believe it sucks in NYC

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's been pretty obvious for awhile now that we are going to see a huge expansion of renewables dedicated entirely to fossil fuel extraction to forestall the moment that it become energy negative and all of civilization across the globe collapses

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

It's been pretty obvious for awhile now that we are going to see a huge expansion of renewables dedicated entirely to fossil fuel extraction to forestall the moment that it become energy negative and all of civilization across the globe collapses
going to? lol a ton of (the meager) wind and solar buildout in america is being done in oklahoma and texas as part of oil extraction and refinery operations

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

leftist heap posted:

Doing it per car is just about the stupidest possible way it could have been done.

poo poo, is there anyway I can fake my bike into a car, or buy a vin number and fill out the paper work to get extra money.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

its hard to help fundamentally help poor people therefore its best to not do it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't think this thread is ready to accept that in America, if we ever rid ourselves of cars it will be done entirely on the backs of the poorest

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
car culture is already taking place entirely on the backs of the poorest gently caress off with that nonsense tia

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

car culture is already taking place entirely on the backs of the poorest gently caress off with that nonsense tia

that's totally different. poor people love paying thousands of dollars per year on gas, insurance, and maintenance - assuming they own the vehicle outright and aren't still paying for that too. They do THAT by choice.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

if you got rid of cars people forced to live next to the freeway will not be able to afford their rent anymore love me im a liberal

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
tired: wow dude your road diet may inconvenience a driver, how dare you!
wired: wow dude your road diet may inconvenience a (insert vulnerable group here) driver, privilege much???

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Building new highways through poor neighborhoods is akshually Marxist, it keeps those areas affordable for the underclass!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

tired: wow dude your road diet may inconvenience a driver, how dare you!
wired: wow dude your road diet may inconvenience a (insert vulnerable group here) driver, privilege much???
By eliminating cars you're going to hurt the poorest Americans who won't be able to drive their $40,000 car to work from their $2 million single family home

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fe fi fo fum

I smell the exhaust of a wrecker

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i was driving on the interstate the other day and realized one cloverleaf exit is bigger than most cities old downtown areas

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

ArmZ posted:

i was driving on the interstate the other day and realized one cloverleaf exit is bigger than most cities old downtown areas

who can say which one is a better use of space

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if you relocated all the poor people to the inside of cloverleafs so they couldn't escape, sort of like J. G. Ballard's Concrete Island? That would probably be the optimal land use from an American perspective.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mystes posted:

By eliminating cars you're going to hurt the poorest Americans who won't be able to drive their $40,000 car to work from their $2 million single family home

here we go again with that “they can’t be poor they own a refrigerator” rhetoric lmao some of yall are just radlibs

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Like, the solution is a multi-pronged approach of letting gas be much more expensive, giving the poor stimulus payments to mitigate that cost, and building a bunch of denser housing with non-car transit options.

Of course, we'll never do that, so the only option is to write a bunch of checks to cars.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

Like, the solution is a multi-pronged approach of letting gas be much more expensive, giving the poor stimulus payments to mitigate that cost, and building a bunch of denser housing with non-car transit options.

Of course, we'll never do that, so the only option is to write a bunch of checks to cars.

obviously they should be doing the housing thing, but they are giving the poor stimulus payments to mitigate the cost of high fast prices. that’s the exact thing everyone is complaining about. did you want them to means test the stimulus payments so none would go to rich people? do you feel the same way about college tuition?

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
climate catastrophe may kill a lot of people, but car culture also helps a lot of people get to work on time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

it's just the exact same tired and worn-out wrecker rhetoric. you can't do anything because it Might Inconvenience The Poor/Disabled and, furthermore, not a real leftist!! liberal!!. boring and insipid, dismissed with high contempt

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

indigi posted:

obviously they should be doing the housing thing, but they are giving the poor stimulus payments to mitigate the cost of high fast prices. that’s the exact thing everyone is complaining about. did you want them to means test the stimulus payments so none would go to rich people? do you feel the same way about college tuition?

how much do you think gas should cost

mystes
May 31, 2006

indigi posted:

here we go again with that “they can’t be poor they own a refrigerator” rhetoric lmao some of yall are just radlibs
Cars are well on their way to becoming completely unaffordable for people who aren't rich, even ignoring the price of gas. Reducing the gas tax or giving people a $400 check because gas is expensive while not actually doing anything to fix the underlying problems forcing people to drive 100 miles a day is actually not going to help poor people very much in the long term.

If the goal is really to help poor people, It would be better in every way to just give poor people money independent of their car ownership, because the cost of fuel is reflected in other products. The reason for tying it to car ownership is that it's not really poor people who they are trying to help.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

-$20/gallon obviously

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Mar 25, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

why on earth would I think about that

mystes posted:

Cars are well on their way to becoming affordably for people who aren't rich

no they aren’t, you are completely out of touch with reality

e: misread that post actually (mystes) but I’m not gonna delete it because that’s silly

mystes
May 31, 2006

The average price of a new car is $47,000 now. Used cars have also gone up tremendously. Subsidizing gas is not the way to make transportation affordable for poor people.

If you really want to help poor people buy cars maybe you should just insist that the government give them away for free to low income people rather than hand money to everyone who owns a car?

But the real answer is obviously fixing the completely insane housing/transit situation so people don't need to drive 100 miles a day in the first place.

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Mar 25, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

indigi posted:

good god, answer the question. how much should gas cost

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stopping climate might hurt poor people so let's just not stop climate change. That will definitely help poor people over the next hundred years.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mystes posted:

The average price of a new car is $47,000 now. Used cars have also gone up tremendously. Subsidizing gas is not the way to make transportation affordable for poor people.

yes though averages can be misleading if the distribution of costs is non-normal

do we know cost percentiles? like 25th, 50th (median), etc.

i'm not saying it's still not high but these would be useful numbers to flesh out the picture more

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

You think it's better to means test the stimulus by only giving it to people who own cars?

Gas prices are going to affect food prices and the prices of other goods as well, and the state is basically just telling anyone too poor to own a car to gently caress off. It's some dumb poo poo that the means testing they're doing ensures that anyone driving a Ford Raptor and a Jeep Monstrosity gets an $800 check, but if you have to take the loving bus because you can't afford insurance, you get loving nothing.

While not the worst possible thing you could do, is definitely in the bottom 20%.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

maybe free buses would be a good short term fix idfk. or UBI. that would be good too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

indigi posted:

lol maybe because you're participating in a discussion about it you insipid gently caress?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is a stupid conversation because the problem is that the payouts are per car. That by itself is not helping the many poor people who don't own cars, so it can't be defended as a good policy for the poor. If the payouts were going to everyone maybe you could make that argument.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think anyone in this thread would object to everyone in the state of California getting $400, even if it were "for gas"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, that was the (a) good policy option here. They chose a stupid one instead.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread would object to everyone in the state of California getting $400, even if it were "for gas"
$400 for every lactose intolerant resident of california

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the original plan was $400 per a tax payer, then it got means tested to become $400 per a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

yes though averages can be misleading if the distribution of costs is non-normal

do we know cost percentiles? like 25th, 50th (median), etc.

i'm not saying it's still not high but these would be useful numbers to flesh out the picture more

I work for a nationwide car dealership chain, which has only fueled my hatred for cars btw, and while you can buy a basic model civic or Camry for under 25k if you shop around (they sell super fast when we get them to the dealerships or out them online) 70% of our new inventory sells for more than 30k. That 47k average is a little higher than our average but we only have a few luxury dealerships so I wouldn't be surprised if the national average is higher than ours