Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mystes posted:

oh-my-zsh is the worst name and that's saying a lot

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

why yes, let me make my prompt absofuckinglutely unreadable by anyone and filling it with things i don't need when i'm working, so that i can be constantly distracted and not get any work done

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mystes posted:

in an ideological software ecosystem that has software with names like gimp and mongo and whatever that one was that had to be renamed because it was a sex joke or whatever, yeah, oh-my-zsh is pretty loving egregious (not ironic)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

oh-my-zsh is really annoying

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

code:
[Oh My Zsh] Would you like to update? [Y/n]

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

code:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Last Chance posted:

code:

sooooo annoying

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

every time I've tried to switch to zsh I've run into the problem that I don't know how bash's start up scripts work and I also don't know how zsh's startup scripts work and also I don't give any fucks about which shell I'm using

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

give me vim and bash and I'm content to do most of my work

some version control would also be nice

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
yeah, i never understood the "shell wars" either

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I just use the grml zsh config with some light tweaks and it works pretty well and doesn't constantly bug me to update. Also the grml website makes me feel like I'm in the 90s again, which is nice.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
okay my imposter syndrome is kicking in hard. without oh my zsh what is the actual difference between bash and zsh? do their scripts have different syntax ive never noticed? is it just autocomplete is better? help me out here

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why doesn’t anybody just turn off the auto-nag for OMZSH’s update prompt? :psyduck:

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Lady Radia posted:

okay my imposter syndrome is kicking in hard. without oh my zsh what is the actual difference between bash and zsh? do their scripts have different syntax ive never noticed? is it just autocomplete is better? help me out here

zsh does not have a viral license

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quote:

What is Oh My Zsh?

Oh My Zsh is an open source, community-driven framework for managing your Zsh configuration.

Sounds boring. Let's try again.

Oh My Zsh will not make you a 10x developer...but you may feel like one!

Once installed, your terminal shell will become the talk of the town or your money back! With each keystroke in your command prompt, you'll take advantage of the hundreds of powerful plugins and beautiful themes. Strangers will come up to you in cafés and ask you, "that is amazing! are you some sort of genius?"

Finally, you'll begin to get the sort of attention that you have always felt you deserved. ...or maybe you'll use the time that you're saving to start flossing more often. 😬

I still don't know what this is but I'm certain it is made by and for assholes.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

lol, nice trap, hard to imagine anything more shameful than actually knowing the relative feature sets of zsh and bash

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mystes posted:

haven't you ever heard the common turn of phrase "oh my zeesh?"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i tried installing oh-my-zsh once. "oh, neat colors. neat tab completion, i guess". then i cd'd to a folder that happened to be a git repo, and the shell froze for like 30 seconds doing god knows what. i confirmed that it happened every time and uninstalled it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've been collating and scanning documents to do taxes and I have to admit that gnome's document scanner works really well.

It remember having to dump it annually for xsane because it wouldn't handle my dumbass canon all-in-one (which can't print anymore because something is dumping ink on the side of the page) but now it really handles everything like a dream. Normally, I would be scanning stuff into postscript pages and using command line tools to compose them into pdfs. Now, I just hit a few gui buttons and things just work and the resultant pdf is a svelte 200 kb instead of the 20 MB monstrosity it normally generates.

SmallWorriedNoise
Nov 25, 2020

yummycheese posted:

Debian still does that thing where if a hardware driver includes any copyrighted code in it. It wont be included in the distro/kernel that ships. So unless you know this ahead of time and what it takes to dig yourself out of this hole. You end up with newbies who install it and then wonder why sound/wifi/graphics dont work

I swear Debian IS the source of the gag "my sound and wifi dont work"

Ubuntu solves this but then I guess they also are daring people to sue individual users for using drivers/code/whatever in an unlicensed fashion.

There is no way to win.

Every time I install Debian, I have to google this link:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

because I swear there is no way to get to it from the Debian homepage.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
most of the oh-my-zsh themes are awful, but if you use a simple one you can still get the vi key bindings and all the nice autocomplete plugins and not have a bunch of irrelevant garbage on your screen

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Fzf keybinds are a far bigger shell upgrade than whatever theme you choose

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the other thing that makes me lol about Debian’s choice to ship firmware like that.

its asking users to know what chipset their pc/laptop network cards are.

which as a professional computer toucher i maybe know this off the top of my head for like one or two models of severs i work with regularly

make me choose on a laptop and lol i have no idea. why would i need to know that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SmallWorriedNoise posted:

Every time I install Debian, I have to google this link:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

because I swear there is no way to get to it from the Debian homepage.

https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
you mean besides that fat yellow warning telling you to download the firmware tarball or iso from the link if the normal one doesn't work right, on all the download pages?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

free zoftware foundation?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lysidas posted:

free zoftware foundation?

No, this thing. It’s good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a5NiMhqAR0

matti
Mar 31, 2019

'unno at that point you might just as well use a terminal file manager

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

matti posted:

'unno at that point you might just as well use a terminal file manager

Command history too. I do use ranger but fzf is faster and I use it more frequently.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i dont see how a youtube video is relevant to shell key bindings, but you do you

i installed oh-my-zsh on a new mbp just to get stuff like showing the git branch and status (dirty working copy, ahead/behind remote tracking branch) without having to do that myself, and it was not trivial to pick a theme that i like, 'lukerandall' is close but i want the full path not just the last two components, havent tried to mess with that yet though because :effort:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Lysidas posted:

i dont see how a youtube video is relevant to shell key bindings, but you do you

You incredibly stupid dumb arse

matti
Mar 31, 2019

btw off-hand does anyone know which shell first implemented the vi and emacs editing modes (which include history search (not fuzzy))?

i want to say ksh

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i could leaf through some old manuals but i am lazy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NihilCredo posted:

i tried installing oh-my-zsh once. "oh, neat colors. neat tab completion, i guess". then i cd'd to a folder that happened to be a git repo, and the shell froze for like 30 seconds doing god knows what. i confirmed that it happened every time and uninstalled it.

All that stuff is already built into zsh, you just need to enable the capabilities in your shell config. The only thing you're really getting with oh-my-zsh are the stupid looking themes.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

In 1982, the UNIX System V shell was converted to K&R C, echo and
pwd were made built-in commands, and the ability to define and use
shell functions was added. Unfortunately, the System V syntax for
function definitions was different from that of ksh. In order to
maintain compatibility with the System V shell and preserve backward
compatibility, I modified ksh to accept either syntax.

The popular inline editing features (vi and emacs mode) of ksh were
created by software developers at Bell Laboratories; the vi line editing
mode by Pat Sullivan, and the emacs line editing mode by Mike Veach.
Each had independently modified the Bourne shell to add these features,
and both were in organizations that wanted to use ksh only if ksh had
their respective inline editor. Originally the idea of adding command
line editing to ksh was rejected in the hope that line editing would
move into the terminal driver. However, when it became clear that this
was not likely to happen soon, both line editing modes were integrated
into ksh and made optional so that they could be disabled on systems
that provided editing as part of the terminal interface.

https://www.oilshell.org/archive/ksh-usenix.pdf if someone else cares (doubtful)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Huh, that's independent verification of the Almquist shell story about how commandline editing was supposed to have existed in the System V terminal driver instead (and which was apparently supported in Almquist tty, although that seems to have become vapourware?).
I was introduced to that idea from ash as it existed in 4.4BSD Alpha.

Nowadays, even the FreeBSD and NetBSD forks of Almquist shell support commandline completion of commands, not just paths.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 25, 2022

matti
Mar 31, 2019

think the idea at&t had was STREAMS and well that did not work out

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

All that stuff is already built into zsh, you just need to enable the capabilities in your shell config. The only thing you're really getting with oh-my-zsh are the stupid looking themes.

ya

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

That looks very good and thank you for sharing. Neat! I love how the foss community just has a hundred thousand folks just making things to solve a personal need, and just gifting it to the world at large. You end up with nine hundred separate tools that each solve one issue the specific user was having, but in different ways and offering a neat little set of features others might enjoy over someone else's work.

There are a dozen shells. There are a dozen different GUIs. A dozen web music streamers you can self-host, and a half dozen of them share the same api set for comparability between the dozen Android clients (so you can be sure they all work), but this one is written in Go and this one is written in C while this one is written in Java. This one let's you use postgres and this one just has its little MySQL lite onboard. This self hosted cloud storage includes plugins and this one just works™. This GUI was built with Qt and don't you miss Qt? This init is 0.0034 seconds faster and it has a dancing frog graphic, try it out!

It's so cool. Also a headache. If you like exploring and got the curiosity for it, it just makes for an ocean of cool to show a totally disinterested spouse.

Some people collect cars.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

A Bad King posted:

It's so cool. Also a headache. If you like exploring and got the curiosity for it, it just makes for an ocean of cool to show a totally disinterested spouse.

Some people collect cars.

Pats *zsh* this bad boy can fit so much Plugins in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
If Linux didn't exist, we might have finally seen a stable Hurd by '99. & Maybe Intel would have used it over minix for their CPU bootstrap.

Makes you think.