Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

How bad is it atm?

The war thread is actually very nice and heavily moderated so most sensationalism gets discouraged, pointed out, or dumped into the Clancychat thread. It's more with the constant stream of information you somewhat identify who's irrelevant, what's Russian propaganda, what's Ukrainian propoganda etc. It's a better (and more calming/perspective-maintaining) environment than most journalism or Twitter posts alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I assumed it would have been a bit of a gently caress about to get somewhere for a decent picture. There are quite a few photos of it at least!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The one thing I do remember from when I was younger was I think my mum must have took me to portrack incinerator to get rid of some junk. It had this great big ramp you drove up and then my memory is just of this... gigantic loving chasm you just hoyed your rubbish off the edge of. I wish I could find an interior picture of it because my memory as a kid was of basically the end of lord of the rings with the giant loving volcano pit. Absolutely terrified me as a child and as an adult I don't think I would be able to go near it, I struggle badly enough with the pier at saltburn never mind the industrial hell pit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't remember if they mention it or not, but basically it's a right pain to just delete a station - you need to rejig timetables, signalling, etc and may even need an Act of Parliament depending on exactly when the station was opened, so these sort of ghost stations can persist for ages.
Is it the same for reopening one? We have a station nearby, it should connect to Oxford, and every politician promises to fight to reopen it, but they never do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't remember if they mention it or not, but basically it's a right pain to just delete a station - you need to rejig timetables, signalling, etc and may even need an Act of Parliament depending on exactly when the station was opened, so these sort of ghost stations can persist for ages.

I've been meaning to ask, do you often get asked what your favourite tube station is?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Other fun railway fact I know about north yorkshire is that apparently they were once considering running some kind of insane tunnel system through the cliff-edge between loftus and whitby.

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels/whitbyloftus.html

Look at this loving thing:

Which looks like this on the satellite image:

They've done similar things around the coast - the old Dover - Folkestone line used to dart in and out of the White Cliffs (and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link still follows part of that line), and of course everyone knows about Dawlish, where you can get surf pounding on the windows of your train if that's your thing (it's very much mine, and I'm annoyed that every time I've used the line it's been dead calm).

Whenever you see really weird alignments like that it's basically either gradients or recalcitrant land owners or both.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is it the same for reopening one? We have a station nearby, it should connect to Oxford, and every politician promises to fight to reopen it, but they never do.

Yeah, except even more so, because of course if you reopen the station you add a couple of minutes to any service stopping there (and also reduce the capacity for express services) which can have knock-on effects half a dozen lines away. It's not insurmountable, but it's not just a switch you flick either - even with the best will in the world it can take months of planning.

forkboy84 posted:

I've been meaning to ask, do you often get asked what your favourite tube station is?

I can honestly say I never have been, no. But in case you wanted to ask, it's Gant's Hill. I'll let my not-evil twin explain why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eG13wm717U

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1507073971413565440

surely...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I'd like to see ol' Borry Johnson wriggle out of THIS jam!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
might do a fireworky massive data dump myself

curry

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, except even more so, because of course if you reopen the station you add a couple of minutes to any service stopping there (and also reduce the capacity for express services) which can have knock-on effects half a dozen lines away. It's not insurmountable, but it's not just a switch you flick either - even with the best will in the world it can take months of planning.

I can honestly say I never have been, no. But in case you wanted to ask, it's Gant's Hill. I'll let my not-evil twin explain why:

It was actually watching one of his recent videos (about why Bank station is the worst) & he started it by saying he'd been asked that a lot & I instantly wondered if that was a question you also got, as his twin as you say.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

It was actually watching one of his recent videos (about why Bank station is the worst) & he started it by saying he'd been asked that a lot & I instantly wondered if that was a question you also got, as his twin as you say.

I raged at that one because he completely skated over *why* it's the way it is, which seemed very unlike him. He mentioned in passing the hodgepodge of different lines coming into it but never mentioned the actual interesting reasons *why* they all come in at such weird angles (long story short - the junction outside the Bank of England was the only place they could put the ticket hall, but all of the lines coming in have to avoid going under Mansion House, the Royal Exchange, and the Bank of England itself because of weird Corporation of London rules on owning the land all the way to the centre of the earth), which is why all the links are in such weird and counterintuitive places too.

Those of you who still somehow believe he's some sort of Tyler Durden to me, know that I'd never ever choose to not go into that sort of detail for extremely sensible reasons of brevity. I'd have still been talking about how Mansion House has three other stations closer to it than Mansion House station 45 minutes into the video and getting genuinely angry about revisionist attempts to rename the Greathead Shield when I hit Youtube's 10 hour limit on my 5 minute video about a single tube station.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
linehan should have stuck to the board games and stayed off the internet imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Linehan ragin at Guess Who? because there's no way to prove that they're a man or a woman.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

linehan should have stuck to the board games and stayed off the internet imo

It really does make you stupid.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hi

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Not even the internet can make someone as stupid as you

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol ok whats your excuse?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hello

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol ok whats your excuse?

they are a literal turnip

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think i've got the chat thread and the proper thread the wrong way round.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think i've got the chat thread and the proper thread the wrong way round.

There's a proper thread?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/cpondskater/status/1506958218697875456?s=21

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a proper thread?
In Cspam I believe.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is literally and figuratively up my street!

Been going up there lately as the TFL raill to Liverpool Street here has been shut at weekends and yes, very nice, and the dates I've gone on through it have gone well, even with the extra logistical challenges (drunken night bus and kebab)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm sure smarter people than me have made the observation before, but I'm struck by how much Linehan and the other more deranged transphobes are indistinguishable from conspiracy theorists. Secret knowledge that the rest of the world can't see or is being kept from seeing, powerful enemies who are targetting society at large and them personally, a compulsion to spread the word to everyone in every context, a complete rejection of any evidence that counters their belief, and of course hate figures in the form of actual real trans people who are conveniently mostly powerless and easy to harm.

Plenty of prominent bigots are doing it for a paycheque and know how far they can go while staying "respectable". But true believers like Linehan can't shut the gently caress up no matter how damaging it is to them personally. I wish he'd seek professional help because he's clearly pretty unwell. I don't have any sympathy for him, but it'd be great if we never had to hear from or about him again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My favourite ones to real about are the ones who've confused transhuman with transgender and think kids these days want to be they drat phones.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In Cspam I believe.

The C-SPAM one is the United Kingdom Mock Thread.

This is the United Kingdom Marxism Thread.

The proper thread is in GBS, it's the United Kingdom Munch Thread.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If this were the proper thread it would have noticed that it's page 69.

Yet it has not.

For shame.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Delighted by the glinner stuff.

Gonna dole out some s33kr1t n0113g3 here to ARE GRAHAM: have you tried not being a vicious transphobic oval office about it? That usually works.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I'm sure smarter people than me have made the observation before, but I'm struck by how much Linehan and the other more deranged transphobes are indistinguishable from conspiracy theorists.
Got you covered.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My favourite ones to real about are the ones who've confused transhuman with transgender and think kids these days want to be they drat phones.
Can we work in Transformers: Age of Extinction too. Maybe also transubstantiation, get some secret Jesuit assassins in the mix. :ninja:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If this were the proper thread it would have noticed that it's page 69

nice

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Transport for Wales. It says you can use a later train but that is no use to you.
I would print out the email you received, take the earlier train, the guard or 'Revenue Protection Officer' will most likely be sympathetic (if they even notice).
That said, the cost of Hengoed to Cardiff is £5 so if they do charge you, it should only be that much anyway and you can claim compo later.

Got the 0855 and no-one cared.

Now on the Cardiff to Manchester train, which may be the worst long distance journey in the UK. Three glorified dog boxes jammed together.

Still, there's always some nice knackered old trains to look at around Crewe.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Gambrinus posted:

Got the 0855 and no-one cared.

Now on the Cardiff to Manchester train, which may be the worst long distance journey in the UK. Three glorified dog boxes jammed together.

Still, there's always some nice knackered old trains to look at around Crewe.

The only time I changed at Crewe I had about 30m to kill so I nipped outside for a fag. Looking around, I shortly thereafter felt like I was an improvement to the general ambience. This was about a decade ago so perhaps it's improved.

Almost two years to the day of the start of lockdown, I have finally caught the 'rona. Wife had it a month ago, I did not. Wife was boosted one month before me. Correlation != etc etc, but still. Hope she doesn't get it.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just to note that on top of this even the most basic construction work quickly gets very expensive on the railway because any time you change something you have to build to a considerably higher standard than the infrastructure was originally.

Like, a lot of lines will have level crossings on, which you wouldn't build now because they just aren't as safe as bridges or tunnels. But let's say you want to reopen a station with a level crossing on it - the various regulations would now require the construction project to probably either drastically upgrade the crossing or close it entirely. Then there's the fact that antiquated signalling doesn't pass modern muster for all sorts of reasons. You mess with it and you're, rightly, required to bring it up to code.

Also if you open a station that was built in the 19th century you now need to think about stuff the Victorians didn't give a poo poo about, like fire egress routes, platform stepping heights, step free access, etc. Putting in a lift probably requires staff, so there is no appetite for that. But putting in a ramp and overbridge likely involves further land purchase because you need to jam it in adjacent to the platforms. If you put it on the platforms themselves you mess with driver sightlines and safe standing distances.

Then add in that actually doing this work requires line blocks, which the train companies can claim a form of compensation for. Some colleagues and I recently wanted to install line identification boards on a signal gantry outside a major London station. The total bill would have been over six figures for four 12" signs. The vast majority of that would have been the track access costs.

And finally there is an immense squeeze on qualified personnel. There have been that many rounds of job cuts and outsourcing drives in the last 20 years that the industry as a whole simply can't deliver the volume of work it needs to. Everywhere I turn at the moment there is more work than can possibly be done with the staff available. Not just frontline stuff either. There are probably less than 30 people currently competent to oversee signal sighting work in the country. And every signal that needs changing has to go through sighting to make sure you don't end up designing some Paddington train crash style scenario.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OwlFancier posted:

The flare stack is great yeah when they're really blasting it and you are at, like, the top of ormesby bank and it's a cloudy night, and it looks like someone opened a portal to hell in middlesbrough, which granted you might be forgiven for thinking had already happened, but the clouds lit underneath by a flickering orange that you can see from a dozen miles away is pretty great.

I'm sure you're all aware, but

http://republic-of-teesside.blogspot.com/2007/12/ridley-scotts-blade-runner-and-teesside.html

Ridley Scott posted:

There's a walk from Redcar into Hartlepool ... I'd cross a bridge at night, and walk above the steel works. So that's probably where the opening of Blade Runner comes from. It always seemed to be rather gloomy and raining, and I'd just think "God, this is beautiful." You can find beauty in everything, and so I think I found the beauty in that darkness.

Though the site is much diminished and reduced now, I used to drive home late nights after weekends out past the ICI Wilton chemical plant just outside of Redcar mid-90s, there were a lot of tall red-beaconed stacks, concrete slabs and orbs, and gas flares lighting the night; I always thought it was very ‘Blade Runner’… Turns out I was completely right :cool:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Turning Middlesbrough into a depressing dystopia doesn't take much extra work, probably Ridley Scott actually improved things a bit as the reality was too grim to be plausible.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1507333553448800309?s=21&t=nankQspBUURiUPDwjEuJ9g

Lol

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I want putin's take on the Graham Linehan vid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The country that cancelled all LGBTQ+ content so that their snoopy hat pope wouldn't get sad has opinions on authors and expression.