Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

LionYeti posted:

For two reasons 1. The strainer in that three piece is not going to strain as well as a Hawthorne will. 2. 3 Piece shakers either don't seal too well and leak or seal way too well and can't fuckin open.

Though I prefer my nice weighted shaking tins now, I found a really decent cobbler decades ago at uh, I think Pier One, where the strainer part has sort of an inverted collar and fits INSIDE in the tin instead of over it, and it is really great. Having used a table vise to get a traditional cobbler open before, I don't know why they're not all made this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That’s how the oxo one works too, if I understand you.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Johnny Truant posted:

But Carillon is correct, it's a bäsk. I've only ever had one other Malört style bäsk so I can't really offer any advice, but that would definitely be easier than trying to get it shipped.

might be easier to import from Chicago than Sweden these days :britain:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

might be easier to import from Chicago than Sweden these days :britain:

We also don’t have Malört here. We have a million and one things flavored with wormwood but not *actual* Jeppsons Malört.

I recommend getting a brännvin instead. That, should someone need help with and knows the ins/outs of sending it, I can help with

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
What are good things to make with lychee? Going to make a lychee martini but I dunno about anything else.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
New ice just dropped.

https://www.unlv.edu/news/release/unlv-physicists-discover-new-form-ice?fbclid=IwAR0ob8Bxb69lt3XYVeDmM3rLklMPLy2WQINOJeyKhficsy7Qd6HtvGU22WQ

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hipsters bars investing in lasers and charging $59.95 for a glass of ice water.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

A God drat Ghost posted:

What are good things to make with lychee? Going to make a lychee martini but I dunno about anything else.

I'd expect other gin cocktails to work too, but to be honest? Bellinis. Boozy fruit don't need to be complicated to be good.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I think it makes a nice daiquiri.

2oz light rum
1oz lime
1oz lychee purée
1/2oz Luxardo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the fools! they almost made Ice-Nine!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I now have a bottle of clove infused whiskey for a batched drink I’m making at a party. What else could I use it for?

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 26, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

LionYeti posted:

I now have a bottle of clove infused whiskey for a batched drink I’m making at a party. What else could I use it for?

It would probably be great in spicier whiskey drinks like a lion's tale or something like that. Would probably also make for interesting seasonal manhattans and what not when Christmas comes again.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

LionYeti posted:

I would try swapping it in for the apple brandy in a Michagander or Detroiter. I made these this fall and added a tiny amount of allspice dram and I thought it rounded out the drink quite nicely.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been meaning to write up a short effort post because I have many questions due to being new to this hobby. Well, for me a hobby. But I think I will just ask these two or three questions:

I've made a few of my own syrups and am storing them in the fridge. How do I know when they have gone bad? I've read that they can last up to a month but one of them is a month old now and seems totally fine. Another is 3 weeks old and looks exactly the same. For reference the older one is a semi-rich demerara and the other one is a 1:1 simple.

I want to make a zombie and know that to do it properly I need a dem. overproof. I'm leaning towards the hamilton 151 but I would have to order it which bumps the cost. I can go to my local total wine and get the OFTD or the Lemon Hart. Any thoughts on which way I should go here?

Thanks.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
OFTD rules.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Syrups have a lot of variables that can effect their shelf life but the higher the brix the longer they will last. I’ve made lime cordials and grenadines that seem to last forever since they’re basically pure sugar and acid. 1:1 Simple I’d say maybe 6 weeks, but adding a bit of booze and sanitizing your storage vessels can help.

I much prefer LH151 to the Hamilton, so if it’s more convenient I would definitely go that way.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
People might gasp in horror at this but I bought way too many tiki related syrups in ~February 2021 and I immediately put in a shot or two of vodka after using each one for the first time and none of them seem to have gone bad yet. Zero mold or or anything and they taste fine. I've been thinking about replacing them just on principle but :effort:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
No gasping over here my man, stabilizing syrups with vodka is a great idea. If you're a home hobbyist and want to have stuff last a while it's definitely the smart thing to do.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I buy a bottle of velvet falernum like once a year one I finally finish the old one, so no gasps from me.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I try to smell test my carpano antica after a couple months. It always smells like vermouth.

In ya go.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been meaning to write up a short effort post because I have many questions due to being new to this hobby. Well, for me a hobby. But I think I will just ask these two or three questions:

I've made a few of my own syrups and am storing them in the fridge. How do I know when they have gone bad? I've read that they can last up to a month but one of them is a month old now and seems totally fine. Another is 3 weeks old and looks exactly the same. For reference the older one is a semi-rich demerara and the other one is a 1:1 simple.

I want to make a zombie and know that to do it properly I need a dem. overproof. I'm leaning towards the hamilton 151 but I would have to order it which bumps the cost. I can go to my local total wine and get the OFTD or the Lemon Hart. Any thoughts on which way I should go here?

Thanks.

OFTD is incredible but it's not a 151 Demerara overproof. It's slightly lower in proof and a blend of Guyana, Jamaica and Barbados rums, demerara is just Guyana. I would get OFTD and either Hamilton or Lemon Hart, whichever is easier to get. If you want to be less precise I think it's fine though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There's no reason to get lemon hart 151 if you can get Hamilton 151. Hamilton 151 now is what Lemon Hart 151 was back when....Hamilton was the person importing Lemon Hart.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got the Hamilton. Thanks for the advice.

E: Should be able to make my Zombie this weekend. I just realized the one thing I am missing now is a good tiki mug. Any suggestions? I've seen some $$$ ones on ebay but I can't see myself paying $100 for a cup.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 30, 2022

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Did the lime super juice with the Dave Arnold acid ratio. 110 g lime peel, 2/3 weight citric, 1/3 weight malic. 1 liter on water, 900 mL something would have been, rounded up. Juice squeezed in, blended, strained, fine strained with bag. It's tart! Seems stronger somehow, a little goes a long way. I've been known to not really measure lime juice, just use half of one, but this stuff needs to be measured.

I would maybe use the Nickle Morris ratios if I did it again. The higher malic acid kind of gives it a drying tartness.

Just some of it in 1 ice cube tray:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Is that meant to be a cordial replacement? Do you add in the juice left in the peeled limes?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Its meant to replace the sour component (lime or lemon juice), not a sweet component (which cordial is?)

You can (should!) add the juices from the peeled fruits, though this will shorten the shelflife of the super juice

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Its meant to replace the sour component (lime or lemon juice), not a sweet component (which cordial is?)

You can (should!) add the juices from the peeled fruits, though this will shorten the shelflife of the super juice
Makes sense, just wasn’t sure if it was being used to simplify the amount of ingredients you need. Like instead of a cordial, and fresh lime and simple syrup, you could just add Simple to the super juice and have a cordial. I guess it would still be different from regular juice due to the presumably significant oil flavor from the peels.

Does it taste better or is it strictly meant to be a speed/cost/shelf life saving measure?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

tonedef131 posted:

Makes sense, just wasn’t sure if it was being used to simplify the amount of ingredients you need. Like instead of a cordial, and fresh lime and simple syrup, you could just add Simple to the super juice and have a cordial. I guess it would still be different from regular juice due to the presumably significant oil flavor from the peels.

Does it taste better or is it strictly meant to be a speed/cost/shelf life saving measure?

If that's what you're looking for, Morgenthaler had a great recipe for cordial. It's similar but in some ways but quite different in overall application.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

tonedef131 posted:

You get more lime-y complexity using the peels. You get much much higher volume per. No waste. Drawbacks are now you got this liquid that can go bad instead of lime juice stored in the lime. I think it's better suited to a bar program than a home bartender (me) unless your about to throw a big party. Just had to try it, always been into citrus peels in various capacities.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

tonedef131 posted:

being used to

The primary motivation for inventing it was to reduce bar waste, you turn 8 limes into a litre of juice (instead of like 150ml?) with very little effort

tonedef131 posted:

It tastes more rich while still easily being recognized as whichever citrus fruit you used

Comb Your Beard posted:

think it's better suited to a bar program than a home bartender (me) unless your about to throw a big party.

Most of the online recipes certainly give you a huge volume but the recipe is easily scaled down to an amount better suited to home use. Its a fairly fast recipe that doesnt really gain a lot or save you a lot of time if you scale it up so you might as well just scale it down to 2 fruits and then have 2 weeks of good juice.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm in the process of adapting super-juices to a 5 million dollar/year bar/restaurant program. The lemon super juice is excellent and keeps quality when frozen. You can just thaw small batches of it when you want. For home use I freeze it in 8 oz deli pucks.

I haven't got the lime quite there yet, but I'll do a writeup about how I've scaled & implemented it all when I'm done.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
Has there been any news on Plantation changing their name? I've searched a bit but I can just find references to the original annoucement.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Just made a little Italy and drat, straight to the top of my favourite mixed drinks list. Hit that sweet spot in between a negroni and a manhattan, and the cynar gives it more of an identity than a boulvadier, which always just comes off as a negroni with whisky to me.

I used wild turkey rye and punt e mes, 2:0.75:0.5 whisky/vermouth/cynar. Really nice balance of the rye spice, whisky sweetness and bitterness. No garnish because all I had on hand was lime, but I don't feel like citrus would have worked anyway. Any tips for this one?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Waltzing Along posted:

Thanks.

Probably already been covered but if it's bubbly then it's probably starting to ferment. Probably still safe to drink but might taste a little funny. Between those two OFTD is my preferred but that's more of a Jamaican rum than a Demerara. Would be great for a zombie though!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Horn posted:

Has there been any news on Plantation changing their name? I've searched a bit but I can just find references to the original annoucement.

Publicly facing, no. But for a bit of perspective- every time you change the proof on a spirit, even if everything else on the label stays the same, you have to file with the TTB for approval, then manufacture the new labels, and adhere them. Usually you put the back stock of the old stuff on sale so you don’t confuse customers and consumers moving forward.

Do this for an entire line of products, in every single country in which you operate, after acquiring trade marks for the new name in every area.

It makes Washington Football Team look timely. That said, I have full faith (and good information) that Maison Ferrand is committed to the change; it’s just a hell of an undertaking.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

bloody ghost titty posted:

That said, I have full faith (and good information) that Maison Ferrand is committed to the change; it’s just a hell of an undertaking.

Thanks, this was my primary concern that they made an announcement in the moment and were hoping that people would forget later on as is the case for many other companies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they follow through with it, unusually good on them.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's a sweet vermouth with the least amount of red wine tannin? I think that's the element I find unpleasant when mixing with whiskey. Was thinking of picking up Punt e Mes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not sure about tannin specifically but Punt e Mes is more bitter than my go-to Cocchi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

What's a sweet vermouth with the least amount of red wine tannin? I think that's the element I find unpleasant when mixing with whiskey. Was thinking of picking up Punt e Mes.

Barring a few exceptions, Sweet vermouth isn't made with red wine. It's made with white wine and the color comes from caramel coloring.