Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

entering day two of my symptoms living with a covid positive spouse.

my morning rapid test is negative.

so, uh, probably don’t bet it all on rapid tests early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pingui posted:

I guess it is something...

I've been wondering about this king of stuff regarding IDEA. If a student is immunocompromised and can't be in school safely, that would be a violation. I've seen parents take school districts to court for way less than that.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

I'm sorry. I've been there. Wish I had useful advice to dispense. A little bit of rambling if you don't mind, hope it may be helpful to you or other couples going through similar:

In our case, my husband was resistant to this kind of information because he was emotionally overwhelmed and scared and tired and I, being likewise overwhelmed, didn't see this crucial need for comfort and security being unmet and just kept resenting him for being mad at me over reality. I had to turn my own temperature way down, so to speak, and then tried to really hear where he was at without judging. He has been more receptive to information that runs counter to the narrative(or to what we might wish were true) since then. At least he knows he can bring his doubts or hopes or pet peeves to me and not come out of it feeling worse, even if we don't agree, and vice versa.

Tl;dr poo poo is crazy and we gotta be able to lean on each other, make time for one another. The rest will flow from that. (hopefully)

I think the key point is that it isn't an argument, a fight or a matter of opinion. Reality sucks, but it just is. No amount of arguing is going to change it and COVID doesn't care about rules lawyering.

You are not the reason dining out, meeting people or just opening the front door runs the risk of death or permanent handicap. So don't make yourself the bogeyman or the target of the emotional ire, by arguing the point emotionally. Stay calm, cool and collected when laying out the facts (and do use facts, not opinion).

YMMV :shrug:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

I'm sorry. I've been there. Wish I had useful advice to dispense. A little bit of rambling if you don't mind, hope it may be helpful to you or other couples going through similar:

In our case, my husband was resistant to this kind of information because he was emotionally overwhelmed and scared and tired and I, being likewise overwhelmed, didn't see this crucial need for comfort and security being unmet and just kept resenting him for being mad at me over reality. I had to turn my own temperature way down, so to speak, and then tried to really hear where he was at without judging. He has been more receptive to information that runs counter to the narrative(or to what we might wish were true) since then. At least he knows he can bring his doubts or hopes or pet peeves to me and not come out of it feeling worse, even if we don't agree, and vice versa.

Tl;dr poo poo is crazy and we gotta be able to lean on each other, make time for one another. The rest will flow from that. (hopefully)
Thanks for sharing. That means a lot to me!

I feel like I'm not so much facing a steep mountain but a sheer cliff wall, so I feel it's important to recognize any win I can get.

In this case, I was able to get our child to wear a mask at school for two entire weeks after the mandate was lifted before this confrontation came to a head. That may not be a victory to most here, but to me I was able to recognize it and rationalize, "Well if things were as bad as I feared, two weeks is plenty of time for either my school or the statewide system to have reported a significant number of cases." Obviously poo poo can (and probably will) go south in the next several weeks. As much as I fear the future based on the history, I would loving love to be proven wrong.

The other win was that he, a six year old, actually wore his mask each and every day like he did before the mandate lift. When asked why he was still wearing it, his response was "Daddy said it was important to him so that's why I'm wearing it." That almost makes me tear up thinking about him saying that! While I'll count on nothing, maybe there's a chance he'll continue to do it on his own.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Mar 4, 2023

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

that would be the funniest poo poo if the fomites were real but only for eye infections and also you go blind after a few years lmao

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

She’s not that self aware.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Yaupon is so good.

It’s sad that hardly anyone knows about it outside of the South, and even there, it’s disrespected as an ornamental or even as a weed.

ive never heard of yaupon before and im fixing to order some. if it works for me i'll get my own plant wooooo

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Insanite posted:

entering day two of my symptoms living with a covid positive spouse.

my morning rapid test is negative.

so, uh, probably don’t bet it all on rapid tests early on.

fwiw I've seen anecdotes from people running corsi cubes that it dramatically decreases risk of household spread. There was a Twitter thread I saw showing a bunch of people who didn't catch it despite a cov+ in the house

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Having a lol thing morning thinking about just how much ‘Airplanes are completely safe places with perfect ventilation that prevents spread of any kind’ continues to just be a load bearing and uncontested assumption underpinning our entire pandemic response.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

(..)
All those posters who wear goggles or protective eyewear are not overreacting. Fun thing is that this could also explain the hallucinations in some covid patients!

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man FFR wearer is king.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

that would be the funniest poo poo if the fomites were real but only for eye infections and also you go blind after a few years lmao

that jason momoa show gonna be real

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Thoguh posted:

Having a lol thing morning thinking about just how much ‘Airplanes are completely safe places with perfect ventilation that prevents spread of any kind’ continues to just be a load bearing and uncontested assumption underpinning our entire pandemic response.

If you can't trust the US military to have human interests at heart, who can...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

cr0y posted:

Do we think modernas kids shots are gonna be approved or nah

I’m hopeful but I also see the advisory board members continuing to focus on the word ‘need’ and insist that death is the only outcome they care about so not entirely hopeful.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Either way it saved the US military a lot of money being able to continue sending troops around by commercial airlines, so who's to say what is good or bad.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I'm really starting to think that no matter how bad things get people won't make the correct connection between cause and effect. I was expecting that if kids stay getting seriously sick/dying en mass that the collective trauma would actually enable people to escape the dogma and propaganda. But obviously they're just going to blame vaccines and communism and China because better things aren't possible.

:shepface:

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

That's the way. I find this approach, coupled with respect for their reaction and their thoughts, to be the most effective and the most compassionate way to communicate.

Cheesus posted:

Thanks for sharing. That means a lot to me!

I feel like I'm not so much facing a steep mountain but a sheer cliff wall, so I feel it's important to recognize any win I can get.

In this case, I was able to get our child to wear a mask at school for two entire weeks after the mandate was lifted before this confrontation came to a head. That may not be a victory to most here, but to me I was able to recognize it and rationalize, "Well if things were as bad as I feared, two weeks is plenty of time for either my school or the statewide system to have reported a significant number of cases." Obviously poo poo can (and probably will) go south in the next several weeks. As much as I fear the future based on the history, I would loving love to be proven wrong.

The other win was that he, a six year old, actually wore his mask each and every day like he did before the mandate lift. When asked why he was still wearing it, his response was "Daddy said it was important to him so that's why I'm wearing it." That almost makes me tear up thinking about him saying that! While I'll count on nothing, maybe there's a chance he'll continue to do it on his own.

Aw man, this was really great to read early in the day. :3: Sounds like you have a thoughtful and responsible child and you're setting a good example for him to follow. I think you have the right idea. It's a hard road we're facing and you can and should celebrate the wins no matter how big or small. Measure expectations like you said, and let yourself enjoy the victories you mentioned here.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TehSaurus posted:

I'm really starting to think that no matter how bad things get people won't make the correct connection between cause and effect. I was expecting that if kids stay getting seriously sick/dying en mass that the collective trauma would actually enable people to escape the dogma and propaganda. But obviously they're just going to blame vaccines and communism and China because better things aren't possible.

:shepface:

I mean why are you expecting that people are going to start behaving *less* dumb after millions of them have become literally brain damaged?
Even if COVID wasn't going to get worse (it is) things would still get worse because now millions of people are brain damaged.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TehSaurus posted:

I'm really starting to think that no matter how bad things get people won't make the correct connection between cause and effect.

You're a bit late to the party on this one but hey at least you made it. I've got relatives whose kids have had multiple bouts of COVID and their take away was, "See? We did everything right and we still caught it. Everyone's gonna get it and there's nothing you can do. Anyway, we're heading to Spanky's for lunch after church tomorrow just like we do every Sunday."

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean why are you expecting that people are going to start behaving *less* dumb after millions of them have become literally brain damaged?
Even if COVID wasn't going to get worse (it is) things would still get worse because now millions of people are brain damaged.

Yeah it was obviously magical thinking on my part. Cool civilization we have here!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pingui posted:

If you can't trust the US military to have human interests at heart, who can...

There’s an entire industry segment for business jets that do medevac that have special filters and basically completely airlock off the part of the cabin that the patient is in. Wierd how that’s been a viable business for decades when it’s completely not needed because diseases do not spread on airplanes.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

American Optimism: what if it damaged the BAD parts of their brain tho?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TehSaurus posted:

Yeah it was obviously magical thinking on my part. Cool civilization we have here!

On the bright side, we won't have to deal with it for much longer.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

TehSaurus posted:

Yeah but we are expanding stock buybacks, so maybe you should stop complaining so much.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

On the bright side, we won't have to deal with it for much longer.

Does anybody have a link to the video where somebody set Funny Feeling to a bunch of disasters?

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Eugenics? :confused:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah but we are expanding stock buybacks, so maybe you should stop complaining so much.

I mean, to be clear I have been personally cleaning up during the pandemic. My life might be the best it has ever been. The problem is that I have empathy for other humans so I can't just enjoy my ill-gotten gains. Time to dehumanize I guess!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Scudworth posted:

As a non-merican thank you for posting this, we never get to see poo poo like this, i know what "the marketplace" is but never a screenshot

please invade us

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1507338434624606226

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Allowed to? Have I been breaking the law all this time!?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol jesus h christ

This country is just cruelty for the sake of cruelty. That’s all we are.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TehSaurus posted:

Allowed to? Have I been breaking the law all this time!?

Wasn't someone in here talking about they had to walk out of a hospital because they refused to treat them until they took off their N95?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

McCracAttack posted:

Wasn't someone in here talking about they had to walk out of a hospital because they refused to treat them until they took off their N95?

There were stories written about it and being sent around all over the place a month or two ago, IIRC. Lots of silly bullshit like "They accepted the compromise of putting the surgical mask on over my N95." Just absurd stuff.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The list is constructed such that every American has at least three. Fucks sake. I could jump on a bike and ride a hundred miles right now and I’ve got three (former smoker, over 180 lbs, drink too much).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I propose an edit to the OP

Best all around elastomeric is the envomask. It can switch between vented and unvented. The gel seal is extremely comfortable for wearing all day. It hardly muffles your speech. It has holo headgear or ear loops (if you want a haircut or something).

I have a pile of half masks and I even have an FF-403. Each of them compromises either comfort or vocal clarity as compared to the envomask.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Mar 4, 2023

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

This is only because there was a recent tweet that blew up about people being required to remove their N95s and put on surgical for appointments and they were pissed about it. Everything this administration does is in response to being bullied on twitter.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dren posted:

Best all around elastomeric is the envomask. It can switch between vented and unvented. The gel seal is extremely comfortable for wearing all day. It hardly muffles your speech. It has holo headgear or ear loops (if you want a haircut or something).

I have a pile of half masks and I even have an FF-403. Each of them compromises either comfort or vocal clarity as compared to the envomask.

I find that my FF-402 is really comfortable and the only person at work who can't understand me is deaf in one ear

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/petfindernames/status/1507350442522689536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!

Dren posted:

I notice with the envo that when i put my hand up to it I feel alot of air when breathing both in and out, but I installed filters per the instructions and everything fits right? idk

It's very comfortable but I'm skeptical