Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DerekSmartymans posted:

I'm also the primary caregiver of a 98 year-old in end-stage dementia and a 70 year-old mother beating cancer.

Literally exactly the same situation.

How do you deal with the inability to commit yourself to pretty much anything longer than an half an hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
tell the dementia person its only been 10 minutes every 30 minutes until the task is done

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Teach them to play eve, or would that be elder-abuse?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Teach them to play eve, or would that be elder-abuse?

They wouldn't get bored mining!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
And they'll always be meeting new friends!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

It's not like you'd need to tell them to anchor up any more often than the average line goon either

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Micromancer posted:

tell the dementia person its only been 10 minutes every 30 minutes until the task is done

it's more that I need to deal with a panic attack every fifteen minutes because something was :airquote: stolen. Or there's "Mexicans on the roof." If I'm not around and available, everything starts getting destroyed.

The paranoia that comes with this, it's just ... idk. Kill me when I turn 75. I don't want this. I don't want to live in deep, depressing fear 24/7 like she does. This isn't humane.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Potato Salad posted:

it's more that I need to deal with a panic attack every fifteen minutes because something was :airquote: stolen. Or there's "Mexicans on the roof." If I'm not around and available, everything starts getting destroyed.

The paranoia that comes with this, it's just ... idk. Kill me when I turn 75. I don't want this. I don't want to live in deep, depressing fear 24/7 like she does. This isn't humane.

Real talk: Dementia is not something the average person should entertain caring for longterm.

Especially if it is burning up the last few spans of the bridges of love you built before they developed dementia.

Put them in a home, your suffering matters too. You can't ignore the toll it takes on you out of filial piety.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

My grandpa was convinced there was a bear outside his window that was in cahoots with a Mexican drug cartel that wanted to execute him. if it wasn't so loving sad seeing him live the last days of his life panicked and delusional it would've been hilarious. My wife's 97-year-old grandma is still sharp as a tack but can barely walk anymore and when she does she's bent over at drat near a right angle. Getting old sucks

Real talk: Dementia is not something the average person should entertain caring for longterm.

Especially if it is burning up the last few spans of the bridges of love you built before they developed dementia.

Put them in a home, your suffering matters too. You can't ignore the toll it takes on you out of filial piety.

for most of us living in the US it's drat near impossible to get loved ones into good long-term assisted care facilities without bankrupting yourself. Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid don't cut it

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
That's fair, it's one of the reasons I follow the money for my career choices, so I can pay for good care for my mother before she needs it.

Luckily my mom is a reader and it helps keeps her sharp. I send her a couple hundo to blow on kindle pulp every few months and she loves it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

for most of us living in the US it's drat near impossible to get loved ones into good long-term assisted care facilities without bankrupting yourself. Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid don't cut it

So much truth to this. WHen I'm old and can't care for myself any more I am just going to rent a nitrogen tank and a breathing mask and go out with a smile.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Real talk, I work in care and the universal advice is this: Go into a home/put your relative in a home of your choosing *before* it gets to the point where government social workers have to step in. There is no shame at all in asking them for help. It's been a thing for 10 years now where resources have become centralised to them wherever you live, and they gate keep absolutely everything - you find this out when you try and arrange something for yourself and every single person tells you they can only go via social services referral

Emergency rehoming will be absolute shite and often a hundred miles away, whereas you may only have to wait a month for a place you want locally to have a place available if you go on the lists - turn over in old people's homes is super high even in normal times but no one tells you this in case they look cruel.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OMFG FURRY posted:

just turn this game into a breakcore album during major fights

Heck yes.

Kerbtree posted:

The Rokh would have the giant gun and it’d be co-axial.

Nah, that'd be a different class of ship altogether. Hyperion, Rokh, Typhoon, and Apocalypse as mobile artillery.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Just make a new ship hull for these ideas. I like the roles the current ships have :smith:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Mederlock posted:

Just make a new ship hull for these ideas. I like the roles the current ships have :smith:

It would be new hulls but using extant models, since right now there are 4 empire battleship models that are T1 only.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Most, if not all of my titan kills are thanks to M2.

My wife knows it’s a spaceship game, but all she’s ever seen is a black screen with purple markers, or a guy in a black shirt and a guy in a suit dunking on what she assumes are nerds.

Probably pretty lucky I’m married.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

First: The suggestions about “teaching them to play Eve, ect“ made me laugh, thanks!
RealTalk: I wasn’t exaggerating at all, but it’s not as bad as the words sound on screen. Both of my parents are retired, and if it weren’t for Mom’s treatments/side effects, it wouldn’t be much of a struggle. I’ve already put an Alzheimer’s patient in the ground almost a decade ago (Meemaw died the day before her 90th b-day!), and both parents were still working then so it was mostly on me (I’m at home on disability for treatment-resistant schizophrenia). That was sad, but her mind stayed functional as far as “clear thinking,” with loss of memory being the worst. Near the end of three years Dad was retired and I could literally read papers/chat/do occasional lectures for friends/get out of the house on my own, or hell, simply take a poo poo for an hour with the door closed! I love Meemaw, but she still changed her own incontinence underwear even at the end (she died literally while the hospice coordinator was in the driveway talking to my Mom & Dad!!!).
Granny has just gotten loving mean. She’s been mentally gone for about four years now, and Mom retired right before Covid when she was diagnosed with a lymphoma. Granny has not handed Covid restrictions well, while Covid also being the main reason she’s not in a home right now; she is physically healthier than all three of us at home, and if she wasn’t so far away mentally she’d probably be taking care of us! She has treatable glaucoma and a walker she doesn’t need 90% of the time. But the doors, cupboards & cabinets, sinks, and toilets are all childproofed for a reason. And she hates uppity bitches and n-words, getting “difficult” to have even a part-time caregiver to bathe/feed her (I live in a town of 300 outside of Memphis: most at-home caregivers are black women). Many days I’m at home alone with her because the folks have to meet Mom’s medical needs and support, and I have to make sure I poop/shower/shave before they leave or it doesn’t get done during the day. If Mom didn’t martyr herself a day (sometimes two) a week so Dad and I could smoke cigars with friends I’d probably fake psychotic symptoms just to “relax” in the mental hospital for a while (although restraints suck when you can’t scratch your nose!).
The good thing is I can shitpost/email/read books & SA all day on my iPad (like now), but my college roommate and I can’t play BattleTech or It Takes Two until after 10pm CST, at least uninterrupted. And he has a job and two teenagers, and most of my college/medical school comrades are in the same boat. I can FaceTime with them or consult on tricky stuff during the day, but it sucks to be talking histology and have to take a break to go chase away the invisible n-word children gathering on the porch (they’re probably going to rob us, you know :chanpop:!).
Sorry for venting, and I did not mean to take over even a little bit, but I did think further explanation was needed to answer others’ posting. We’re all generally making do here, but I hope that explains some of my earlier comments about availability from the same post about “being mostly alone/solo but contributing to anything needed in a social game with goons.” During the day I might, for instance, be able to spin spaceships and intermittently chat, but not feel comfortable in a vital, full time needed role (tank/healer in WoW or EQ terms) even if Mom is here to patrol the doors & potties :argh:.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Eve in general is kinda like having a side family of online weirdos, and it's cool when things like serious personal/family/friend matters come up

Over time I have learned that a lot of us do not have the opportunity to talk about serious things in a real and productive way with our nuclear families.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Potato Salad posted:

Eve in general is kinda like having a side family of online weirdos, and it's cool when things like serious personal/family/friend matters come up

Over time I have learned that a lot of us do not have the opportunity to talk about serious things in a real and productive way with our nuclear families.

I wholeheartedly agree…I have many people (mainly from posting here for twenty years) that I consider close personal friends, but have never actually seen in person! And this was waaaay before pandemic restrictions made folks depend on Zoom/FaceTime. The last time (before February) my meds stopped working I had two “posting buddies” from SA and one from World of Warcraft text my Mom and literally say, “Talk to Mark, his posts are getting weirder than normal.”
This was with folks I interact with over written words & occasional PMs, not even voice chat. But I’m guessing it’s the modern equivalent of Tolkien’s or Lovecraft’s pen pals: confidants via shitposting, to coin a phrase :agesilaus:

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

jesus christ hire an editor

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Potato Salad posted:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mr. Grinch posted:

jesus christ hire an editor

three sizes apparently not enough

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

DerekSmartymans posted:

First: The suggestions about “teaching them to play Eve, ect“ made me laugh, thanks!
RealTalk: I wasn’t exaggerating at all, but it’s not as bad as the words sound on screen. Both of my parents are retired, and if it weren’t for Mom’s treatments/side effects, it wouldn’t be much of a struggle. I’ve already put an Alzheimer’s patient in the ground almost a decade ago (Meemaw died the day before her 90th b-day!), and both parents were still working then so it was mostly on me (I’m at home on disability for treatment-resistant schizophrenia). That was sad, but her mind stayed functional as far as “clear thinking,” with loss of memory being the worst. Near the end of three years Dad was retired and I could literally read papers/chat/do occasional lectures for friends/get out of the house on my own, or hell, simply take a poo poo for an hour with the door closed! I love Meemaw, but she still changed her own incontinence underwear even at the end (she died literally while the hospice coordinator was in the driveway talking to my Mom & Dad!!!).
Granny has just gotten loving mean. She’s been mentally gone for about four years now, and Mom retired right before Covid when she was diagnosed with a lymphoma. Granny has not handed Covid restrictions well, while Covid also being the main reason she’s not in a home right now; she is physically healthier than all three of us at home, and if she wasn’t so far away mentally she’d probably be taking care of us! She has treatable glaucoma and a walker she doesn’t need 90% of the time. But the doors, cupboards & cabinets, sinks, and toilets are all childproofed for a reason. And she hates uppity bitches and n-words, getting “difficult” to have even a part-time caregiver to bathe/feed her (I live in a town of 300 outside of Memphis: most at-home caregivers are black women). Many days I’m at home alone with her because the folks have to meet Mom’s medical needs and support, and I have to make sure I poop/shower/shave before they leave or it doesn’t get done during the day. If Mom didn’t martyr herself a day (sometimes two) a week so Dad and I could smoke cigars with friends I’d probably fake psychotic symptoms just to “relax” in the mental hospital for a while (although restraints suck when you can’t scratch your nose!).
The good thing is I can shitpost/email/read books & SA all day on my iPad (like now), but my college roommate and I can’t play BattleTech or It Takes Two until after 10pm CST, at least uninterrupted. And he has a job and two teenagers, and most of my college/medical school comrades are in the same boat. I can FaceTime with them or consult on tricky stuff during the day, but it sucks to be talking histology and have to take a break to go chase away the invisible n-word children gathering on the porch (they’re probably going to rob us, you know :chanpop:!).
Sorry for venting, and I did not mean to take over even a little bit, but I did think further explanation was needed to answer others’ posting. We’re all generally making do here, but I hope that explains some of my earlier comments about availability from the same post about “being mostly alone/solo but contributing to anything needed in a social game with goons.” During the day I might, for instance, be able to spin spaceships and intermittently chat, but not feel comfortable in a vital, full time needed role (tank/healer in WoW or EQ terms) even if Mom is here to patrol the doors & potties :argh:.

gently caress you learn to put breaks in between your paragraphs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
@DerekSmartymans

I do empire industry, which means running around hauling + emergency docking when I have to go do stuff like put the empty toilet roll I've just been handed in the bin before it all kicks off.

So long as you got decent eve chat/discord it's fine.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DerekSmartymans posted:

good post 💖 take care of yourself

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Can someone from Karmafleet make contact with an ex-goon called Komatose btw? I just randomly met them in a blueprints discussion and they left game for a long while because of heavy real life stuff, and are doing that thing people do where they assume you need to be hardcore to be in 0.0 so are off on their own in empire missing their tribe.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Potato Salad posted:

good post 💖 take care of yourself

Apologies for the iOS formatting...never seen it come out so screwy before.

The content, however, never improves. At least I am consistent!

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Send them to karmafleet.org to get the discord link or join the in game chat channel and they can talk to someone that will tell them to apply on the website.

CSM Election is going to spin up soon can't wait to sling this grrr goons mud

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

We tried the new Sleipnir doctrine today, and it was a massive success. Enemy ships were vanishing so fast, the FC just had time to primary and not call them out before 1, 2 and 3 were dead.

The cherry on top was probably when the fleet ended with a structure bash and people went back and looted the dead enemy Muninns for projectile ammo to throw at the Citadel.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 28, 2022

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Uh, technically, we just lost a Cerb fleet.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/99789942/

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
have you checked the last place you saw it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Filling in a SRP form for the SRP ships

That's a harsh loss fr, for the time it would have taken to make all that fiddly T2 for the fits rather than the isk :(

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
krabs, ratters and AFK isk makers rejoice! CCP finally pushed through the final change to the DBS system today so Bounty Risk Modifiers in every system went shooting up and they *should* now properly fluctuate with ratting and/or pvp activity. Heavy emphasis on should

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Feliday Melody posted:

lmao

What happened?

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the Freighter got jumped.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Was someone trying to gate a freighter down to staging without a cover fleet? wtf?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Dik Hz posted:

lmao

What happened?

He died 1005 km from the C3N gate and the only structure near that distance is the jump bridge from 1DQ. So I assume he took the jump bridge from 1DQ with his freighter to save fuel on the way to the GEF deployment?

That's my guess, anyway.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
just realized there are things you can run on without going anywhere, and running makes it so you can eat more food

Feliday Melody posted:

this would be a daily occurrence for hostiles if bill gates didn't forcibly inject the new windows 10 update onto my pc bricking my ability to multibox

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

just realized there are things you can run on without going anywhere, and running makes it so you can eat more food

this would be a daily occurrence for hostiles if bill gates didn't forcibly inject the new windows 10 update onto my pc bricking my ability to multibox

Ccp devs desperately calling in favors from colleagues at M$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Gef makes it quite efficient to quit Eve, for others
https://zkillboard.com/kill/99807835/

e. also, now we know

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 29, 2022