Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

If I thought I could pull it off I might even try it. Please keep the recs coming, this is gold!

You can pull it off. Own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

How the hell do you find good clothes for the stage? I have no idea what people are wearing because when I think of guys my age in cover bands all I can picture are bowling shirts or mechanic shirts. I do not want to do the Guy Fieri.

I don't have time to go trolling Goodwills or what-have-you. Is there any place online that has stylish, affordable stuff? I'm way out of my element on this one.

I'm not exactly the kinda guy who likes to wear skulls and poo poo like that.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

David Byrne Suit

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Get a shirt that fits well. If it's short sleeves, make sure the sleeves don't do the pull away from your arm thing because it makes people look like frumpy dorks.

Also if you move on stage those things will flap around and you'll look like a mega dork.

If the band says no tshirts, get a black button up long sleeve shirt that fits well (athletic cut if your build is relatively straight up and down so it doesn't lay on you like a tarp, no pleated cuffs that give way to big blowsy pirate sleeves) and roll the sleeves up. Top several buttons undone but don't overdo it. The thicker the fabric, the more it will hide any features you might want to de-emphasize, but it will be hotter.
Black tshirt underneath.
Dark blue jeans with some elasticity for fit (not saying skinny jeans, just ones that fit your thighs and calves, and if they have some stretch they'll move with you, that's all I mean) and dark boots.

Basically, go for dark colors, and although nothing has to be skin tight by any means, avoid anything baggy like the plague.

You'll be fine!

Actually scratch all that BS above. Just wear this and maybe some swim trunks / hotpants and some big kick rear end stompin boots.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 25, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Red boiler suit and barcode.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are y'all wearing clothes to gigs? loving conformists!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

massive spider posted:

Red boiler suit and barcode.

Could be sick with like masks that each member designs for themselves, youd have uniformity and also deep cool twisted sick individuality. I’m trying to think something really sick scary for an example, maybe a clown? Or maybe a long nosed clown?? A wrestler clown???

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

W424 posted:

Could be sick with like masks that each member designs for themselves, youd have uniformity and also deep cool twisted sick individuality. I’m trying to think something really sick scary for an example, maybe a clown? Or maybe a long nosed clown?? A wrestler clown???

I love Mushroomhead

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I want a Squid Game costume. Not sure which one. Topical!

Here is some very stupid music poo poo. Of course Living On A Prayer landed on the setlist (I promise I did not pick it but I am not complaining, either.) This poses a serious problem for the talk-box-challenged. Should you even bother trying to do that song without Ritchie Sambora's talk-box?

I had a hunch a few minutes with google would take me to a preset for my modeler since it's a popular cover tune and sure enough I found this handy preset. I spent $10 on it and it's really really fun to use. To open and close your "mouth" you rock the pedal just like a wah-wah and it sounds. Good?

I took my foot controller off the desk and set it on the floor to see if I could actually switch all these presets and work this effect in real-time. The amp is a model of a Friedman HBE V1. The guitar is an Ibanez RG1070. The attitude is pure 80's. Right in my veins.

https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/livin-on-a-talk-box

P.S. - Really really sorry about the awful backing track. It's all I had. For once that is not me ruining any of the vocals, I just ran a guitar part through the solo.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 25, 2022

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Nowadays I don't really dress up for music, but there was a time when I did, playing with loud hard rock bands.
(Yeah that time was 20 years ago.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I have an orange PECO jumpsuit with 3/4ed sleeves and legs you can borrow, op.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Another thought: early Freddie Mercury ballet leotards, flaunt that bod!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I have a cock ‘n balls gym sock you can borrow, op.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My gf is being super not-helpful about this, which is kinda why I'm here instead of just letting her dress me; but I think we found a compromise: Lenny Kravits. I told her yes to the Bohemian look with the ripped jeans as long as the colors are dark. That sounds douchey I guess but as much as I like the gym-sock route there aren't any gym socks large enough.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Imh opinion, can't go wrong with high-waisted distressed black jeans, and a red-and-black plaid button-down over a sequin sleeveless top

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Or on a more serious note black pants, white dress, and absolutely hideous vest. Like 90s Brian May, you ever see what he wore on stage at Les Paul's club?

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

Here is some very stupid music poo poo. Of course Living On A Prayer landed on the setlist (I promise I did not pick it but I am not complaining, either.) This poses a serious problem for the talk-box-challenged. Should you even bother trying to do that song without Ritchie Sambora's talk-box?

I had a hunch a few minutes with google would take me to a preset for my modeler since it's a popular cover tune and sure enough I found this handy preset. I spent $10 on it and it's really really fun to use. To open and close your "mouth" you rock the pedal just like a wah-wah and it sounds. Good?

I took my foot controller off the desk and set it on the floor to see if I could actually switch all these presets and work this effect in real-time. The amp is a model of a Friedman HBE V1. The guitar is an Ibanez RG1070. The attitude is pure 80's. Right in my veins.

P.S. - Really really sorry about the awful backing track. It's all I had. For once that is not me ruining any of the vocals, I just ran a guitar part through the solo.

yeah that sounds like it will work incredibly well live, not bad!

edit: aw man it fades out right after the solo, i was sticking around to make sure it did the one bar switch to 3/4

izagoof fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 25, 2022

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

My gf is being super not-helpful about this, which is kinda why I'm here instead of just letting her dress me; but I think we found a compromise: Lenny Kravits. I told her yes to the Bohemian look with the ripped jeans as long as the colors are dark. That sounds douchey I guess but as much as I like the gym-sock route there aren't any gym socks large enough.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten all about Lenny's "unfortunate" wardrobe malfunction. Such problems to have.

The guy said, "No Dad jeans" and so I am not sure what Dad Jeans are but i figure black jeans, probably distressed, would be fine with my boring old black boots. I love my dumbass black boots (another point where she is putting her foot down: she wants to dress me in boots of some kind and I am trying to stress to her the importance not falling to my death on stage. I have to work expression pedals for extended periods so I will only have one solid foot planted.

izagoof posted:

yeah that sounds like it will work incredibly well live, not bad!

edit: aw man it fades out right after the solo, i was sticking around to make sure it did the one bar switch to 3/4
I think it's in there. After the solo there is nothing left to do on the studio track so I omitted the rest. Thanks for listening, though. For better or for worse, that's what I'm going to do in the band unless they force a real talk-box on me.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

I had forgotten all about Lenny's "unfortunate" wardrobe malfunction. Such problems to have.

The guy said, "No Dad jeans" and so I am not sure what Dad Jeans are but i figure black jeans, probably distressed, would be fine with my boring old black boots. I love my dumbass black boots (another point where she is putting her foot down: she wants to dress me in boots of some kind and I am trying to stress to her the importance not falling to my death on stage. I have to work expression pedals for extended periods so I will only have one solid foot planted.

I think it's in there. After the solo there is nothing left to do on the studio track so I omitted the rest. Thanks for listening, though. For better or for worse, that's what I'm going to do in the band unless they force a real talk-box on me.

I am up to my gills in guitar VSTs, but I still want an Axe-FX III someday, they sound so good

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Dr. Faustus posted:

The guy said, "No Dad jeans" and so I am not sure what Dad Jeans are

lmao what the gently caress? i also have no idea what that means. like, a particular fit? or just standard blue? i guess just to be safe, if i heard that i would get some high-waisted mom jeans, preferably with flowers or something embroidered on the buttcheeks. alternately, before the pandemic, my standard show pants were these red checkered plaid slacks that looked like a mighty bosstone threw up on them.

(talkbox sounds good btw)

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

think that'd mean bootcut

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

That sounds exactly like the song and you don't have to look like you're blowing a robot dick to do it. Nice!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 25, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

CaptainViolence posted:

lmao what the gently caress? i also have no idea what that means. like, a particular fit? or just standard blue? i guess just to be safe, if i heard that i would get some high-waisted mom jeans, preferably with flowers or something embroidered on the buttcheeks. alternately, before the pandemic, my standard show pants were these red checkered plaid slacks that looked like a mighty bosstone threw up on them.

(talkbox sounds good btw)

Dad jeans:

Light blue, slightly stonewash color texture, no stretch.

Acceptable jeans:

Dark blue, has some stretch.

Basically, if it looks anything at all like those stonewashed colored, baggy rear end, covered wagon canvas material jeans every zoomer girl wears these days like an idiot, stay away from them if you're a guy. And if you're a girl, for that matter.

Fashion talk. Definitely stupid music poo poo.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 25, 2022

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i have clearly been ignoring a lot of nuance in the jean scene. those light blue ones are peak 80s dad though, so i think i finally understand, and i kinda feel like maybe "no Dad jeans" is a good rule for life and not just this particular performance

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

CaptainViolence posted:

...i kinda feel like maybe "no Dad jeans" is a good rule for life and not just this particular performance

Also true.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Basically, if it looks anything at all like those stonewashed colored, baggy rear end, covered wagon canvas material jeans every zoomer girl wears these days like an idiot, stay away from them if you're a guy. And if you're a girl, for that matter.
:goonsay:

uncloudy day fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 25, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

CaptainViolence posted:

i have clearly been ignoring a lot of nuance in the jean scene. those light blue ones are peak 80s dad though, so i think i finally understand, and i kinda feel like maybe "no Dad jeans" is a good rule for life and not just this particular performance

So Zubaz it is then?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Jeans onstage? Ugh. How does Steve Vai dress, just do that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dr. Faustus posted:

The guy said, "No Dad jeans" and so I am not sure what Dad Jeans are

Dad jeans are loose/comfort fit and usually faded.

quote:

Dad jeans sit higher on the waist than the typical cut of jeans. The jeans are relaxed through the thigh and tapered and loose from the knee down.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 25, 2022

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

stratdax posted:

dress like a wizard. got it

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'm a little late, but my advice is as follows:

Be from the future!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

stratdax posted:

Just go through the EVH collection. You’ll get such glorious moments as pink and baby blue jumpsuits, white painters-style cargo pants, overalls with no shirt, striped spandex and a jean vest, parachute pants and a tank top, and so much more!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

dress like a wizard. got it

Steve Va i= wizard

Uli John Roth = bard

Need a cleric and a barbarian to complete the party

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/ResNeXtGuesser/status/1507454792133533700

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

last band I was in never learned how to dress properly

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

Need a cleric and a barbarian to complete the party

No one in Manowar is doing anything so they're free

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ahhhh beaten.

Wardrobe options aren't that complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Automatic Slim posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ahhhh beaten.

Wardrobe options aren't that complicated.

As an aside, I worked in a comic book store with a local legend everyone knows as Metal Fred and he was one of ten people at the first Manowar show in Philadelphia. The band was used to playing soccer stadiums in Europe and brought that intensity to a small club in the middle of the week. They were out there in very little but dead animals just terrorizing the hell out of the audience. He got his first Manowar tattoo right after it.