Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Toaster Beef posted:

There were stories written about it and being sent around all over the place a month or two ago, IIRC. Lots of silly bullshit like "They accepted the compromise of putting the surgical mask on over my N95." Just absurd stuff.

I guess I can sorta see it from their perspective because they have no way of knowing if that's a genuine N95 or some knock-off the patient bought online from god knows where. The hospital offering their own N95s would seem like a good compromise but they won't even fork over the cash to buy their own staff N95s in some cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1507346360022020096
:rubby:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

It'll be over once the remaining 1-3% have antibodies!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

going to a street corner with a sign that says "jesus BA2 is coming!" and everybody looking at me as if I'm loving crazy except of course it happens, and in like a month or two.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Looking through my old posts, today is the 2 year anniversary of when I started cutting my own hair at home.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Better get hospitalized before the rush hits

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

This is only because there was a recent tweet that blew up about people being required to remove their N95s and put on surgical for appointments and they were pissed about it. Everything this administration does is in response to being bullied on twitter.
They don’t want to be cancelled!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looking through my old posts, today is the 2 year anniversary of when I started cutting my own hair at home.

Where were you cutting your own hair before that?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Rick posted:

I had a lawyer who bought my crown debt (which I stopped paying because I was unemployed for a year) in Phoenix, this motherfucker drove down to Tucson himself to serve me. When he eventually won the judgement, went directly to my job to give them the garnishment papers (luckily I wasn't there just for how awkward that would be). But the dude actually made a math mistake on the garnishment paperwork (I guess in his defense it was a non-standard garnishment because for some reason even without me saying anything in my defense the judge set a lower % he was allowed to take than usual), so after the garnishment period he set and had approved, I actually still owed $13.57 because he filled the paperwork out wrong (I actually noticed it was wrong when he filed it). Dude actually spent like six months going back and forth with the court apparently (without talking to me, i would've just mailed him a $20 to get off my back) to get an additional garnishment for that $13.57, which he apparently tried and failed to charge interest on.

I don't know why dude cared so much. All this for what was probably a profit of maybe $1,500 for almost a year of work, if that.

PS both crowns broke before that last $13.57 and I spent a good portion of my stimulus money getting them replaced in Mexico.

...i was just thinking about how much fun it would be to buy medical debt and forgive it just for shits and giggles but this guy went and did it to be evil, what the gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

Where were you cutting your own hair before that?

The usual places ..... long bus trips, sneaking into other people's garages, food courts, confessional booths.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bless me father for I have sinned. snip snip snip

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TehSaurus posted:

I'm really starting to think that no matter how bad things get people won't make the correct connection between cause and effect. I was expecting that if kids stay getting seriously sick/dying en mass that the collective trauma would actually enable people to escape the dogma and propaganda. But obviously they're just going to blame vaccines and communism and China because better things aren't possible.

:shepface:

A bunch of us have been saying for two years now that America actually cares less about kids than practically any other demographic and that pretty much everything that's done "for the children" is pure lip service. Sandy Hook was proof that the lives of children are worth less than a gun you can buy at Walmart.

It doesn't matter how dangerous it is to kids and states are actively moving to restrict districts from ever implementing NPIs again specifically because they want to safeguard against the possibility that schools will go remote if a more dangerous variant shows up.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

gadzooks!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
In retrospect, I think I'm understating how little Americans value the lives or health of children. They aren't worth less than a gun, they're worth less than the inconvenience of wearing a free mask handed to you by a store employee.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

In retrospect, I think I'm understating how little Americans value the lives or health of children. They aren't worth less than a gun, they're worth less than the inconvenience of wearing a free mask handed to you by a store employee.

If you've ever been involved in American youth sports you figure out pretty quickly that kids are there for parents to relive their childhood vicariously. That is it.

Children are chattel to be used for the benefit of their owners in the US.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 363 days!

Madjackal lurking this thread (too scared to post here) and rubbing his hands like birdman

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

when I first started driving it always confused me when people would just run right over squirrels and opossums and poo poo rather than stop for a second to let them cross. "I guess people don't really value animal life like human life, not even for a 5-10 second inconvenience." what an idealistic view I had of americans lmao

Apr 7, 2003

https://abcnews.go.com/US/school-cafeterias-brink-collapse-brace-end-covid-era/story?id=83601600

quote:

School cafeterias, already on the brink of collapse, brace for end of COVID-era free meals
School districts face worsening shortages; from dinner rolls to drumsticks.
By Eli Cahan
March 24, 2022, 1:12 PM

The challenges have been constant, school district officials say. Some cafeterias have been unable to fill kids' trays with basics like milk, meat and multigrain products as supply chains face crippling shortages. They've been chronically understaffed, unable to compete with industry for food service workers. And now, they're struggling to keep up with skyrocketing food prices.

The one source of respite? Pandemic-era Agriculture Department waivers that raised reimbursement rates and loosened restrictive requirements for school cafeterias, often the biggest restaurants in town.

But after Congress didn't extend the waivers in its spending bill earlier this month, district officials are increasingly worried about their ability to feed America's youth.

That one good thing the Trump administration did? Feeding kids no matter what during a pandemic? Yeah, the dems hosed that up.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Does this include reinfections because Worldometers only has 50-60k new cases/day... :thunk:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thoguh posted:

Does anybody have a link to the video where somebody set Funny Feeling to a bunch of disasters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fdw05xTmQo

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/school-cafeterias-brink-collapse-brace-end-covid-era/story?id=83601600

That one good thing the Trump administration did? Feeding kids no matter what during a pandemic? Yeah, the dems hosed that up.

Kinda hard to gently caress up when that's deliberately part of the gameplan.

Apr 7, 2003

If you can't even keep kids fed in the richest society to ever exist in human history you're loving worthless, full stop, what an unimaginably cruel government we live under.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Another Feiglebomb

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Chamale posted:

I wrote about this in the last thread, this was my answer:

I would say the pandemic is over when covid kills and disables no more people than a typical flu season, and isn't at risk of coming back. Here are some ways that could happen:

1) Covid cases are brought to zero everywhere
2) A 100% effective vaccine that doesn't wear off is introduced
3) A highly effective cure is discovered that can be cheaply mass-produced
4) A cross-reactive variant with a very low fatality rate outcompetes all other variants (Omicron's fatality rate is ten times too high to be the "vaccine variant")
5) A major drought-induced famine happens and covid becomes the least of our problems

This is something I've been thinking about and it's useful to have a clear idea of what would allow a return to the 2019 normal, if only to compare with current reality. I think some combo of option 1-3 are required, but they just don't exist now.

As you say a sterilizing and durable vaccine (2) is one of the only realistic paths to normalcy as it would likely largely prevent short-term issues and PASC, and probably the only way cases could ever be brought down to zero (1). Even with such a vaccine recent history shows a good fraction of the public will resist vaccination, meaning the virus would likely continue to circulate anyway and zero COVID is effectively impossible without NPIs. This means this future vaccine needs to be truly sterilizing and impossible to evade even when indefinitely challenged by the endemic virus. This sounds hard, and clearly doesn't exist at present.

Widely available treatments (2) that prevent or stop symptomatic infection + PASC could maybe justify normalcy. However there aren't prophylactics at this point and relying on post-infection therapeutics like Paxlovid or mAbs is risky given the narrow effective time window. Also they're not widely available and don't look like they ever will be. Also not available for kids. This route to normalcy doesn't exist now, except maybe for the rich and powerful.

The last several weeks have made a true return to normalcy seem further away than ever. Omicron's rapid immune escape suggests a sterilizing vaccine might not be feasible at all, or at least the current spike vaccine approach has failed. Then US congress actually cut funding for next-generation vaccine development and the CDC has started normalizing symptomatic infection as acceptable so long as severe disease is prevented. There don't even seem to be reliable mAbs treatments. The possibility of a sterilizing vaccine or reliable treatments seem more remote now than at any point in the pandemic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol:

quote:

On December 31, 2019, local officials declared a disease outbreak in Wuhan, China. Two years later, an estimated 18 million people around the world have died of COVID-19.

Guess when I went to the strip club? December 29, 2019

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Man, if you wanted to greatly exacerbate the wealth divide, you could hardly design something better than covid. :smith: A whole generation of kids not getting adequate nutrition is a really big deal.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

thanks but I'll wait until the sequel

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Louisgod posted:

thanks but I'll wait until the sequel

You're going to have to wait until 2032 for the Final two years of COVID

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Mar 4, 2023

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
horrible news, gently caress this country

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1507364048588967938?s=20&t=vZAgUzL4XGyUKCBYg_wDLQ

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

any tips? ya girl is starting to look like cousin it :sweatdrop:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Mar 4, 2023

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
released his corpse :unsmigghh:

Apr 7, 2003

technically if you die that's considered being discharged from inpatient care

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

so you're telling me there's a chance

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Sorry, best I can do is Uncle Fester.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Released into hospice care hopefully

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

$20 clipper, buzz cut all over, DONE

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 363 days!

Zerg Mans posted:

Another Feiglebomb

Ive learned that alot of people I follow on twitter hate this guy for "fearmongering"

Like you can go still go to brunch or do your one man improv show, hes just laying out data, not tut-tutting your actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

ahh this takes me back to when I was training a new hire and she called a hospital to check if one of our patients had discharged. She was told they had passed and she replied "OKAY COOL THANK YOU" before hanging up

Just like I taught her. :911: (no but she was very embarrassed, it was her first call on the job too)