Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Riatsala posted:

Souls games rightfully have a reputation for having incredibly good hit boxes, but you never quite appreciate it until you unintentionally dodge an otherwise fatal attack because you did something with an unusual animation at exactly the right moment.

In my instance, ducking right under a horizontal swing from a car sized sword because I used a stomp ability juuuust prior to the end of the attack windup.

https://youtu.be/QvBTQC5lEVg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Well, sometimes you get stuff like that, and sometimes you get stuff like this

https://i.imgur.com/zF5fdUs.mp4

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Your attacks also clip through walls so that's not really a big strike against the game. In my experience the real problem comes from grab hitboxes. Those attacks usually have great tracking but also activate weird so it can look like you perfectly dodged something (you didn't) only to get teleported into the grab. One recent example I was dealing with was the Sir Alonne fight in DS2. Dude has a thrust attack that's actually a grab, and the hitbox on that is genuinely lovely because the dangling bit of string on the end of the hilt of his sword is part of the hitbox, and if you dodge forward left you'll touch it and get teleported ten feet away on to the end of his sword. Dodging forward right is fine, though, and puts you in a perfect position to hit him

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kit Walker posted:

Your attacks also clip through walls so that's not really a big strike against the game. In my experience the real problem comes from grab hitboxes. Those attacks usually have great tracking but also activate weird so it can look like you perfectly dodged something (you didn't) only to get teleported into the grab. One recent example I was dealing with was the Sir Alonne fight in DS2. Dude has a thrust attack that's actually a grab, and the hitbox on that is genuinely lovely because the dangling bit of string on the end of the hilt of his sword is part of the hitbox, and if you dodge forward left you'll touch it and get teleported ten feet away on to the end of his sword. Dodging forward right is fine, though, and puts you in a perfect position to hit him

Having flashbacks to the ogre grab in Sekiro

Grab attacks in Elden Ring suck rear end too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Resident Evil 4: This specific corridor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfYZgXho-hg

Probably old news for most people but I'm playing though the game in VR for the first time and still crack up whenever Leon decides to go all Devil May Cry out of nowhere.

The context is that this is an homage to the first RE movie

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

haveblue posted:

The context is that this is an homage to the first RE movie

I could tell it was because I kept seeing Leon get cut up by lasers cause I suck poo poo :hai:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I could tell it was because I kept seeing Leon get cut up by lasers cause I suck poo poo :hai:

Theres no penalty for pushing wrong buttons, so just mash the 2 possible prompts and you'll always succeed

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Barudak posted:

Theres no penalty for pushing wrong buttons, so just mash the 2 possible prompts and you'll always succeed

High school me will be thrilled to know that once I can tell em :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

High school me will be thrilled to know that once I can tell em :v:

:same:

I died so many times to that stupid boulder

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

So, a weird question: What non-English/original developer language dubs have been exceptionally good or interesting to people?

Recently the Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster made the decision to dub the opera scene in every supported language. For the most part it sounds amateurish but charming (which was the intention, since Celes isn't a trained singer), but the Italian voice actor just loving went for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO25BooQnuI

This is fantastic, thank you for linking. It bugged me to hear the English version (which, as you said, is charmingly amateurish) because it was a complete mismatch for the surrounding aesthetics. I mean, I get why Celes wouldn't have that training, but IMO it would be funnier if she just belted out a flawless operatic aria out of nowhere, and it would make the opera as a whole more coherent.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

RE4 was one the games I got a then-roommate into despite his misgivings. Started out on PS2, and he rage-quit from fighting the controller at that boulder.

But, wait! I had a Gamecube with it's nice, friendly buttons! Left for work and came back to a Josh delirious from lack of sleep. Twelve straight hours. I think he got as far as The Island and just. would. not. shut. up. about how much he loved it.

Over that weekend we five-starred the Mercenaries content on GC and started on doing same with the PS2 version. Every ashtray in the house was overflowing, both 20 gal trashcans were full of beer bottles, and we hadn't seen either cat in 48 hours. My ex-wife came by at some point, his girlfriend and my girlfriend did as well, then left after we paid no attention to them.

Both of us still thought the laser scene was kinda bullshit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

At least RE5 lets you get revenge

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Final Fantasy 6 depending on you have at the head of the party their tents change colors.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I don't think I have ever understood the phrase "tough but fair" for video games.

What are examples of games that are tough and unfair that the phrase is contrasting against?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jjack229 posted:

I don't think I have ever understood the phrase "tough but fair" for video games.

What are examples of games that are tough and unfair that the phrase is contrasting against?

The opposite of "tough but fair" is "nintendo hard"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

jjack229 posted:

Noita

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

jjack229 posted:

calling From games "fair" is a huge stretch

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jjack229 posted:

Janky games where you die with no counterplay or due to rng and bugs.

Like mmx6 is unfair

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

jjack229 posted:

iwbtg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jjack229 posted:

The Lion King, Which was specifically made to make it too hard to be just a rental.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got past the Great Centipede in Nioh, just doing more side missions for more resources/options before starting mission 6.

Something i'm enjoying with the game is the enemy designs, they take classic visuals and really ramp up the parts that are disturbing by applying them to a realistic looking character. Like Kabuki/Oni masks often have huge bulging eyes and massive tongues as they are exaggerating the features to make them more otherworldly, but when applied to the giants that are now appearing that makes for a really upsetting looking face with eyes not only bulging but fully out of their sockets, bobbling around unpleasantly, and a slimy dragging tongue that can be used as a weapon. You can just imagine how nasty that would feel slopping against you as it went for an attack (I do understand that that can be misconstrued as the old "What do Yoshi eggs smell like" shitpost, but you get what I'm getting across, that something that otherwise looks kind of silly is read very differently when applied with actual full motion).

Also little things like the flamewheels where the faces are tied to the wheels by their hair, and the lyre that's playing the monk with it's own hands forcing the monk's hands to keep playing.

Also the way the rooms get repurposed works well in side missions. The terrible room where you fight the centipede was obnoxious as a single enemy arena, but now it's just some guys milling around in it it works far better, and the ruins that some sidemissions take place in where the first time you go there there is no reason to go anywhere but down, but in the next mission there you are having to explore the whole set of temples to find the bosses and the upper areas are really cool to explore.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Mar 24, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

jjack229 posted:

Anything with rng that can lead to a failstate, like most run-based games

It doesn't mean those games are bad or unfun though

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

haveblue posted:

The opposite of "tough but fair" is "nintendo hard"

Good point I remember playing TMNT on my cousin's NES back in the day and being so proud of finishing the underwater bomb defusing part one time. I later played on an emulator and that is maybe one third of the way into the game. The last level is literally a maze and monsters respawn every time the screen is reloaded. I don't know how anyone beat that game on the NES.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

jjack229 posted:

Good point I remember playing TMNT on my cousin's NES back in the day and being so proud of finishing the underwater bomb defusing part one time. I later played on an emulator and that is maybe one third of the way into the game. The last level is literally a maze and monsters respawn every time the screen is reloaded. I don't know how anyone beat that game on the NES.

I got pretty good at the underwater bomb but I could never beat the next level. Like it wasn't hard I just couldn't find where to go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All of Sabin's Blitzes look extremely good in the new FF6 re-release. Raging Fist also sounds great now. Lots of impact for every punch.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I had an entire special edition Nintendo Power with a guide to TMNT and I still never beat the damned game.

https://archive.org/details/nes-game-atlas-nintendo-players-guide

This one! What a great present that was. Thanks Uncle Mike!

Antioch has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Mar 24, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Scarlet Rot in Elden Ring is a nightmarish status effect but I weaponized it far more than I was ever affected by it, so I'm all about that rot.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda hosed up that scarlet rot doesn’t mutate enemies into godless abominations like the t-Rex doggos that crumple harder than tutorial enemies to guard counters. On the other hand, it also doesn’t turn them into the crows that are in multiple ways giant bastards so I guess it works out.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Kinda hosed up that scarlet rot doesn’t mutate enemies into godless abominations like the t-Rex doggos that crumple harder than tutorial enemies to guard counters. On the other hand, it also doesn’t turn them into the crows that are in multiple ways giant bastards so I guess it works out.

I love how those crows somehow have the power to trigger the "you just staggered an enemy" sound effect to bait you into walking up and eating one of their big attacks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Crows are pretty good at verbal mimicry :eng101:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Morpheus posted:

Okay but then some enemy does a smash attack that visually has a range of 10 feet but then twenty feet away you're knocked into the air from nothing.

Or when hiding from a huge enemy and their attacks clip through the 10 foot wide stone column you are hiding behind.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

I love how those crows somehow have the power to trigger the "you just staggered an enemy" sound effect to bait you into walking up and eating one of their big attacks.

is that what that's supposed to be? it makes no sense if so because that sound effect is nondiegetic.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

is that what that's supposed to be? it makes no sense if so because that sound effect is nondiegetic.

The noise is in your head and it’s a mimicry of the particularly sweet concoction of dopamine and electrical impulses that tell you to thrust your big sword into the exposed flesh

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

lol I know, those crows have no respect for your 4th wall

Real stagger:

https://i.imgur.com/1E0PH3I.mp4

Fakeout stagger, note how the sound doesn't even line up with the weapon hit:

https://i.imgur.com/oJ5ad0I.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

jjack229 posted:

There's a lot of definitions for "fairness" in video games, but the general theme is that when the player gets got, they think "yeah, I deserved that". In other words, they understand that they were punished for their misplay, and not because of, for example

- bad controls, bad UI, or implausibly missing information
- a gotcha that they could not realistically have seen coming
- random chance
- "cheating" AI

That last one is especially tricky because the player does not typically have any insight into how game AIs work or what they're doing behind the scenes. It's entirely possible for a designer to labor to make a particularly smart AI that will then be perceived as cheating by the player, because the player can't see that the AI is playing fairly, only that the AI is doing a particularly good job of countering the player. In other words, it's usually more important to make an AI whose state is clear to the player, than it is to make one that plays the game well.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Triarii posted:

lol I know, those crows have no respect for your 4th wall

Real stagger:

https://i.imgur.com/1E0PH3I.mp4

Fakeout stagger, note how the sound doesn't even line up with the weapon hit:

https://i.imgur.com/oJ5ad0I.mp4

I’m just gonna pretend from now on that these bastards are gigantic hosed up lyre birds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSB71jNq-yQ

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

In Final Fantasy 6 depending on you have at the head of the party their tents change colors.
And each tent is topped by a different symbol, at least in the original SNES version.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Holy poo poo I just realized why the Caelid crows look so familiar.

They're literally just Charlie Kelly's birds with teeth:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wait till the DLC drops the Denim Chicken boss on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Kirby and the Forgotten Land: In Waddle Dee Town, you get a little house early on. You can sleep here and it's incredibly adorable as one would expect of Kirby.
My little thing with it is: you can enter via the front door, or alternatively, you can go on the roof and then fall down the chimney. :3: