Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think the gameplay is very satisfying and stately. There's lots of paths to victory, and you have to keep an eye on what other people are doing and respond to it. The gimmick of making every worker a unique general with different capacities and special powers is an awful lot of fun. Drawing a handful of them feels the right sort of random - informing how you want to play your turn but extremely hard to say any one draw is an utter dud, or that another player's draw is way too strong. Plus, I like the artwork, I think the components are satisfying but not over-produced. I haven't played it a lot because I play my games in public meetups and it's basically impossible to get played in that environment, but every time I have played it I think "hell yeah, that rules."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Inflexible player counts is one of those things that permits interesting angles (but limits accessibility) and I wish there was more of it in a way.

There are some really interesting two player only games, for example.

Djambi and Mah Jong come to mind as both 4 player only and don't really work at any other count.

Can't think of any other three-only at the moment other than 3KR.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 25, 2022

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

There's Maria, which is also made much better by its inflexible player count.

Edit: totally with you, though, on wishing more games just committed to the number that was the best experience.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There was that Star Trek 3P game, which even though I saw it on consignment for $25 I skipped because I knew getting it to the table with exactly 3 was a fool's errand (plus I didn't have my phone with me for some reason, so I couldn't check its rating on the 'Geek).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Eyes Have It posted:

Inflexible player counts is one of those things that permits interesting angles (but limits accessibility) and I wish there was more of it in a way.

Djambi and Mah Jong come to mind as both 4 player only and don't really work at any other count.

Churchill is 3p only. Technically you can put in a solo mode player or two, but I'm sure you could figure out how to do that poorly in 3kr too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We have made Mayveena an IK for this thread. Thanks for being willing to take on this lovely volunteer job, Mayveena!
Thread: be patient with your new IK as she learns the ropes, listen to her and try to be a contributor to good discussion and chat about board games. Thanks!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Leperflesh posted:

We have made Mayveena an IK for this thread. Thanks for being willing to take on this lovely volunteer job, Mayveena!

A good choice.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

A good choice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Magnetic North posted:

A good choice.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Eyes Have It posted:

Love that description. There are a couple of games I have that claim to be 2P but... should not be. I also wish they'd just put on the side of the box a range that can be played but have perhaps a bolded number that is the recommended count. Even if that's a wide range from X to Y it at least informs me about its viability.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I would like to know what silly-rear end rule in the rulebook decided that Mayveena gets to be first player.

totally kidding, a very good pick - but maybe she did eat garlic last or go to Portugal last, idk

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kerro posted:

I get that it's probably commercially not viable (as evidenced by the fact that the designers of Three Kingdoms have started destroying remaining stock because they couldn't sell it and can't justify continuing to store it)
Wait, what? I always wanted to try that one, but now I can't even find it in stores.

The Eyes Have It posted:

The End of the Triumvirate is another one, well-regarded although I found it a bit boring and gave it away years ago.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

PerniciousKnid posted:

Wait, what? I always wanted to try that one, but now I can't even find it in stores.

Yeah apparently they've been storing copies in their own/their family's houses and can't justify storing that many copies any more. You can still order it direct from their website, but I dunno what shipping would be like since they're in Singapore.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kerro posted:

Yeah apparently they've been storing copies in their own/their family's houses and can't justify storing that many copies any more. You can still order it direct from their website, but I dunno what shipping would be like since they're in Singapore.

Yeah it's like $100 shipped, I'm not that curious! I'm surprised it's not listed at any stores, I thought it was well-regarded.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks everyone :) Proceed!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Thanks everyone :) Proceed!

Monopoly is a good board game

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

mods??

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Infinitum posted:

We have to stay away from criticizing others choices, now now :) I have a friend who has been to the US Monopoly finals several times, and thinks the game is great. As you might imagine he's a pretty overbearing person, about the only way one would think Monopoly might actually be good :).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, anyone following that World Series of Boardgames event in Vegas? I’m not entirely convinced it’s not all a big scam.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Monopoly talk, by way of 2d6 games, made me think of My Farm Shop. Did any goons ever give it a shot? It's closer to Machi Koro / Space Base than literal Monopoly, obviously, but I remember a fair bit of hype when it came to America but not tons since.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, anyone following that World Series of Boardgames event in Vegas? I’m not entirely convinced it’s not all a big scam.

I mean c'mon Splendor as a competitive event??? :stare:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Regarding current discussions

Folks are entitled to the entertainment they prefer and that includes backing Kickstarter games. The reasons not to do are in the OP. Noting that, please consider doing a pledge manager for a $1 or reducing your pledge to $1 to avoid giving Kickstarter more money. Strident KS discussions should go into the KS thread and let's keep this focused on board games, both playing and acquiring.

Trolling is not acceptable so please consider if what you want to write is trolling. On the other hand, jumping down someone's throat because there's a way to frame their comments as trolling is not acceptable either. Try to consider comments in the moment and standalone.

I didn't ask to be a mod here, they asked me to, so it's not like I was overly concerned, however the thread has gone off on tangents of late so let's try to keep it moving in the right direction :)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

PRADA SLUT posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, I looked at the Kickstarter updates for Shadow Tactics.

Funding closed in February 2019. In March 2021 they launched another Kickstarter for the expansion to this game (nothing had been delivered yet). In December 2020, they noted production will begin in February 2021. February came and went with nothing. In October they posted a non-update. In February 2022 they posted a "only one person still works here" with the new project manager who can't get in touch with the old one (who doesn't work there anymore), and is now estimating 6-9 months to production.

Holy poo poo what an absolute clusterfuck

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antler-games/shadow-tactics-the-board-game/posts/3428751

This is the best update I’ve seen on anything:

quote:

Last month I promised to fetch a roadmap for the remaining part of the project. Unfortunately even though I kept trying to organize a meeting with András for weeks I barely reached him. We still don’t have an official roadmap.

My estimation (without having any information about the actual details) would be:

2-3 Months: sending the game to manufacturing
2-3 Months: manufacturing
2-3 Months: shipping

I know nothing, I talked to no one, I don’t really work on this, but here’s a roadmap!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I might back that levitating dice kickstarter thing because it seems like a fun thing to waste money on.

Then I will use it exclusively for Talisman.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kerro posted:

Oh that’s a shame. Really good game, and I say that with one of my primary player counts being 3 (formerly, now it really is 3 due to the pandemic) and competing with triumph and tragedy and a couple others. So good in fact that my asymmetric, Ameritrash loving friends enjoy it as much as my euro loving friends.

I remember passing it over at a shop and a con since it looked like a typical euro with tracks from the box - didn’t read the description - but went in after a positive review here.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Regarding current discussions

Folks are entitled to the entertainment they prefer and that includes backing Kickstarter games. The reasons not to do are in the OP. Noting that, please consider doing a pledge manager for a $1 or reducing your pledge to $1 to avoid giving Kickstarter more money. Strident KS discussions should go into the KS thread and let's keep this focused on board games, both playing and acquiring.

Trolling is not acceptable so please consider if what you want to write is trolling. On the other hand, jumping down someone's throat because there's a way to frame their comments as trolling is not acceptable either. Try to consider comments in the moment and standalone.

I didn't ask to be a mod here, they asked me to, so it's not like I was overly concerned, however the thread has gone off on tangents of late so let's try to keep it moving in the right direction :)

Can you expound on the moderation/reporting process? There have been many lovely occurances in the recent past, so some clarification would be helpful.

Specifically, there have been multiple occasions where the moderation acknowledged party A was at fault, but party B gets punished for calling out problematic behavior.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

nordichammer posted:

Can you expound on the moderation/reporting process? There have been many lovely occurances in the recent past, so some clarification would be helpful.

Specifically, there have been multiple occasions where the moderation acknowledged party A was at fault, but party B gets punished for calling out problematic behavior.

Yep and that could happen again. I’m following the directions of Leperfish and they don’t want a lot of whining. I’m only a mod in this thread, I’ve been given marching orders and part of that is to keep the conversation board game focused and less people focused. I don’t anticipate doing a lot of throttling. We all need to keep this about the hobby we love.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is not aimed at you but the guidance you were given to pass on and enforce. “Consider posts stand-alone and in the moment” is at odds with the very mods previous probes and warnings of certain posters stirring poo poo about Kickstarter just to poke at those making the argument against it for principled reasons. This came to a head last night when I reported two more of those lazy noise posts doing just that and Potato went back and probed me for a post 5 days ago. I said that was garbage moderating and that we needed an IK that cared about the community we try to create here, not just someone to let them ignore the thread and enact the same lazy non-moderating or punishing those of us not welcoming the crap, which was quite a vocal bunch that continually asked for actual moderation.

I think you are a great choice for IK here, but if they’re just using you to ignore the thread themselves nothing will be any different.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 26, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We try to find IKs for threads that need a lot of moderation or are high-traffic, because there's only two mods and we're not here all the time. We identify IKs who we believe can be good members of the team, not to act as robots to blindly enforce our will. My expectation is that Mayveena will use her best judgement, and ask us for help whenever she needs it.
There's a good thread that explains how IKs work in Ask/Tell if you want to know the details.

I'd let Mayveena speak for herself, but I have not told her to ignore context with handling posters or posts. I guess what she was suggesting is that posters in the thread should default to assuming others' posts are in good faith, instead of reading an attack or a trollish intent into every post someone makes? It's helpful for conversation in general to not just presume everything someone says is intended to make you mad. That's good advice for having a constructive thread.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

We try to find IKs for threads that need a lot of moderation or are high-traffic, because there's only two mods and we're not here all the time. We identify IKs who we believe can be good members of the team, not to act as robots to blindly enforce our will. My expectation is that Mayveena will use her best judgement, and ask us for help whenever she needs it.
There's a good thread that explains how IKs work in Ask/Tell if you want to know the details.

I'd let Mayveena speak for herself, but I have not told her to ignore context with handling posters or posts. I guess what she was suggesting is that posters in the thread should default to assuming others' posts are in good faith, instead of reading an attack or a trollish intent into every post someone makes? It's helpful for conversation in general to not just presume everything someone says is intended to make you mad. That's good advice for having a constructive thread.

Exactly!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The thing is this thread and community very rarely has any issues at all and the “whining” (reporting bad posts and behavior) and posting about posters is all traced to a single bad actor that has been probed for that very thing multiple times. Telling us to assume good faith is going against your own warnings to them. We (a large amount of regulars here) want Prada thread banned. They are not constructive and continually nudge and poke specifically to stir poo poo, and now you tell us it’s whining and not game focused because we don’t want to deal with it which will only enable and encourage that behavior more than before despite so many people asking for a thread ban. It actively pushes away members of the community who see your stance on this as hurting the thread and letting them have free reign.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you don't want to see someones posts, you can click on their profile and add them to your ignore list.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

The thing is this thread and community very rarely has any issues at all and the “whining” (reporting bad posts and behavior) and posting about posters is all traced to a single bad actor that has been probed for that very thing multiple times. Telling us to assume good faith is going against your own warnings to them. We (a large amount of regulars here) want Prada thread banned. They are not constructive and continually nudge and poke specifically to stir poo poo, and now you tell us it’s whining and not game focused because we don’t want to deal with it which will only enable and encourage that behavior more than before despite so many people asking for a thread ban. It actively pushes away members of the community who see your stance on this as hurting the thread and letting them have free reign.

I’m not seeing evidence that ‘a large amount of regulars’ want Prada thread banned. Also everyone is on the same level. Regulars don’t by definition have more influence than newbies. And in fact I’m very interested in what newbies have to say, which is why I said what I did about buying games and discussing Kickstarter.

What you are suggesting is in my opinion akin to bullying. I am not supporting that. If Prada trolls he will be moderated. If he keeps trolling he’ll be referred to Leperfish. If folks keep insisting that simply because they don’t like Prada he should be threadbanned, I’m not going to be a part of that, I’ve been a victim too many times (as a child) of bullies who didn’t like me to participate in something like that.

Frankly what could be driving folks away is this continued focus on one person. Please stop. If you feel he is trolling then report him.

Bottom Liner I respect you very very much. I beg you to let it go.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I did report it and I got probed instead. That’s the whole problem. The whole reason myself and others asked for an IK was because of the mods poor handling of the whole Prada issue. The previous thread had post after post of folks posting “Thread ban Prada” or empty quoting that post over multiple pages.

Implying we’re bullying the person that continually defended rape art and trolled the thread about it is not only incorrect but offensive.

I’ll let it go and join the others that have abandoned the thread because caring about it and pushing for it to be better is wasted effort. We’re on discord if you wanna chat.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I did report it and I got probed instead. That’s the whole problem. The whole reason myself and others asked for an IK was because of the mods poor handling of the whole Prada issue. The previous thread had post after post of folks posting “Thread ban Prada” or empty quoting that post over multiple pages.

Hey dude you didn't get probed for reporting a post, chill out and at least see how the IK works out before having a meltdown. 99% of the Prada issue is people posting repeatedly about Prada, which is what you actually got probed for. Post your disagreement and move on, Prada doesn't post enough in this thread to merit this much hyperbolic vitriol.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Implying we’re bullying the person that continually defended rape art and trolled the thread about it is not only incorrect but offensive.

I’ll let it go and join the others that have abandoned the thread because caring about it and pushing for it to be better is wasted effort. We’re on discord if you wanna chat.

If SA says he can be here on SA then that’s the last word as far as I’m concerned. If discussing rape art didn’t get him banned from SA then how could I justify banning him here? He was moderated more than once for trolling this thread. He will be moderated again if he continues to troll. That is a promise.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've called for the threadbanning of Prada Slut before, but that was while they were on a roll. I would be satisfied with strong moderation when they misbehave, preferably with the ramp that's surely been earned by prior probes and warnings ITT.

However, one thing gives me pause:

nordichammer posted:

Mayveena posted:

Yep and that could happen again. I’m following the directions of Leperfish and they don’t want a lot of whining. I’m only a mod in this thread, I’ve been given marching orders and part of that is to keep the conversation board game focused and less people focused. I don’t anticipate doing a lot of throttling. We all need to keep this about the hobby we love.

So I'm just putting 2+2 together here, but your understanding of direction given is that calling out problematic behavior is whining? And that the endorsed response to that is getting punished? We're supposed to countenance what we find to be problematic, even offensive, views in silence and hope that a report does something?

Hopefully things will change with a dedicated IK (congratulations on getting tapped for what must be a thankless job, by the way; I've always thought you one of the nicest and most open posters in this thread), but shared experience seems to weigh toward the report button having done little to correct the (fortunately relatively rare) issues ITT.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Let me contribute to the thread. mellonbread is doing a detailed walkthrough of the Gale Force 9 remake of Dune (2019) starting in this Fatal and Friends post (click on "their posts" for the other six or so posts done so far; more to come):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&perpage=40&noseen=1&userid=222188&pagenumber=7#post522323271

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

I've called for the threadbanning of Prada Slut before, but that was while they were on a roll. I would be satisfied with strong moderation when they misbehave, preferably with the ramp that's surely been earned by prior probes and warnings ITT.

However, one thing gives me pause:

So I'm just putting 2+2 together here, but your understanding of direction given is that calling out problematic behavior is whining? And that the endorsed response to that is getting punished? We're supposed to countenance what we find to be problematic, even offensive, views in silence and hope that a report does something?

Hopefully things will change with a dedicated IK (congratulations on getting tapped for what must be a thankless job, by the way; I've always thought you one of the nicest and most open posters in this thread), but shared experience seems to weigh toward the report button having done little to correct the (fortunately relatively rare) issues ITT.

Folks I have to do what I’m asked to do. You are to report problematic behavior. Then if I have doubts I’ll discuss it with Leperfish. I’m not tolerating trolling. I can give out limited probs, big probes go to them.

The fact that Prada has discussed rape art in I’m assuming a positive way should have been taken of by SA. There’s no way I on my first few hours can threadban anybody people. For any reason. I’m sorry that apparently my whole purpose was to come here and threadban Prada and it didn’t happen but that was to be expected.

And because I’m not threadbanning Prada you folks don’t want me, then say so. All I can tell you however is that no IK solely for this thread will be able to threadban Prada without Leperfish’s approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Folks I have to do what I’m asked to do. You are to report problematic behavior. Then if I have doubts I’ll discuss it with Leperfish. I’m not tolerating trolling. I can give out limited probs, big probes go to them.

The fact that Prada has discussed rape art in I’m assuming a positive way should have been taken of by SA. There’s no way I on my first few hours can threadban anybody people. For any reason. I’m sorry that apparently my whole purpose was to come here and threadban Prada and it didn’t happen but that was to be expected.

And because I’m not threadbanning Prada you folks don’t want me, then say so. All I can tell you however is that no IK solely for this thread will be able to threadban Prada without Leperfish’s approval.

If I recall, Prada was discussing the game Kingdom Death: Monster in a positive way. I believe the only discussion of Kingdom Death: Monster that Bottom Liner accepts is the negative kind. Please stay and be a voice of reason.