Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Keep getting pushed the trailer for this even though I'm all the way in already and something I only noticed the last time it autoplayed is that, possibly very relevant to this week's events, there is a very short snippet of a distressed looking Irving sitting in the driver's seat of a car

Incredible ep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Khanstant posted:

She's so goddamn scary no matter what she is doing. Her "pleasant nice" face has terrifying dead eyes and a smile that looks programmed. How Mark's sister doesn't find her scary requires some suspension of disbelief from me. Even just her as neighbor, idk, if I were Mark I wouldn't be able to be as neutral towards. If nothing else, last ep would've been the straw, her loving commenting on my trash-taking-out habits, snitch, are you watching me!? mind yer fuckin business*.

*yes it technically is her business but that changes nothing in how aggressive you should respond towards someone in that situation

I liked the little touch of her just slamming the baby doll down on the couch by the leg the instant she's done using it, really shows she's just putting on a rehearsed act.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really curious what Milchek's deal is after this episode. He seems to just be an employee, but he's also the one who is most on-hand for everything, and in this episode with the Musical Dance Experience it seemed like he actually gives a poo poo and buys into Lumen's cult, because his reason for setting it up was that they were all having a rough day. I thought his smiley persona was just a total act, but now I think it might be a bit more complex. Maybe that persona is how he actually wants things to be.

Irving said he's not severed in this episode but I don't think we have total confirmation on that. I think I'd rather he isn't because I don't want them to just start pulling the rug out and making everyone severed, but regardless of whether he is or isn't, I want to know more about how he ended up working there, what his life is like outside of work, etc.

Also at the start of this episode, I thought the head of security was revealing himself to actually be working AGAINST Lumen when he showed up smiling, rather than just having followed Mark to that location and acting nice. I thought that was going to be a nice twist and cool for that character.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 25, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Milchick I think is confirmed not severed now he’s been seen doing work business outside. There was that list in this episode of non-severed employees with Cobel on, someone’s probably going to grab that frame to see what else was in that handbook. The question I have now though is who was helping Milchick with Dylan’s wake-up now we know he didn’t tell Cobel about it, so presumably Graner also wasn’t told. I also thought it was super fun that Dylan immediately recognised he suddenly had leverage over Milchick once he said he hadn’t told Cobel.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Dylan also really grew on me this episode. They finally gave him a little bit of pathos with the overtime stuff, and suddenly his comedy was working for me better than before. 'it looks like this was designed to be a two man job' 'perfect. i have the strength of two men.'

The way they've brought these four really different people to the point of working together to rebel against this sick place has been great.

Also I hope Walken is still on the show after this in some capacity despite potentially being written out in this one. Maybe we can see him oon the outside, or maybe he's not truly being released. He's been very good on it too. His retirement video was the funniest thing on the show so far.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Has anyone read the book Apple released yet?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'm in love with a man, a man called Milchick

https://imgur.com/FWnB7dI

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

roomtone posted:

Dylan also really grew on me this episode. They finally gave him a little bit of pathos with the overtime stuff, and suddenly his comedy was working for me better than before. 'it looks like this was designed to be a two man job' 'perfect. i have the strength of two men.'

yeah I mostly knew Zach Cherry from random comedy things (and the george lucas talk show) and he's legit doing a hell of a job with the dramatic role too

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Has anyone read the book Apple released yet?

Yeah, it’s a letter to a newspaper about something that happened at another Lumon office from a severed worker who dies the day the paper receives the letter. The paper’s editor thinks it’s not worth following up on, his name is Jay Milchick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I loved how he just kept hammering in the inherent tragedy of the situation, him trying to communicate with them and himself, like, this company has some ballsy control to let these horrifying videos play for employees.

Hargrimm posted:

I liked the little touch of her just slamming the baby doll down on the couch by the leg the instant she's done using it, really shows she's just putting on a rehearsed act.

That was great because even being terrified of her, she's was being a good storyteller and charming in that moment, and then the little whiplash- I'm then wondering if she made that anecdote up wholesale specifically to charm Jen, or maybe something she stole from someone else's life.

njsykora posted:

Milchick I think is confirmed not severed now he’s been seen doing work business outside.

I think there's also room for people to just be perma-severed. I don't necessarily think that's Millchick's case but replacing "outties" with "free-range innies" seems like an appropriately sinister scheme.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Only Kindness posted:

Always bet on black.

Did I catch this right? The gang immediately correctly asserted that it was specifically Graner's keycard innie-Mark found in his pocket.

Anyway, speculation: the MDR gang will throw the switch for everyone. At the point Mark wakes up, Gemma goes back into a coma.

Mark decided to remain permanently severanced so that he can (unknowingly) be near his wife.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Mark decided to remain permanently severanced so that he can (unknowingly) be near his wife.

similarly, he stays permanently severed because he knows she exists but she'll never be his wife (assuming Gemma is brain dead) again :smith:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tweak posted:

similarly, he stays permanently severed because he knows she exists but she'll never be his wife (assuming Gemma is brain dead) again :smith:

Kind of a perfect analogy really, choosing to remain at a job that kills your soul for the sake of your loved ones

Defiant jazz btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhmg1lvnx0

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 25, 2022

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Oasx posted:

Spooky Ambient!

:same:

I imagine Jonny Greenwood and a ondes Martenot to be involved (with a disco beat)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
What a drat show. I think the real twists are going to be what all the outties are really up to. I think Mark knows his wife is down there and a lot of threads are going to be pulled out on that still.

I think Millchick might really care for the innies but has a hosed up way of showing it. And his constant… I dunno cloying babying/fathering stuff leads me to believe he’s perma severed. reminds me of Gemma’s weird deal

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I was so focused on making sure the photo of Gemma wasn't Hellie it didn't even register that it was Burt, in a hat. Now I gotta go get myself checked out for face-blindness.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There seems to be a hierarchy of Severed (First Name, Last Initial) and Unsevered (Last Name) naming in the offices too, which honestly makes "Miss Casey" a third unknown category.

I'm not misremembering, am I? It's never "Mr. Milchick" or "Ms. Cobel", it's just Milchick, Cobel, Graner?

So I was way off with honorifics but I still don't know what this means for Miss Casey, besides her not being named a la the severed workers.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 26, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It has pretty consistently been Mr Milchick and Ms Cobel.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

fischtick posted:

I was so focused on making sure the photo of Gemma wasn't Hellie it didn't even register that it was Burt, in a hat. Now I gotta go get myself checked out for face-blindness.

I didn't notice it until I read the thread because I was so fixated on how bad a job Mark did drunkenly taping that photo back together. The lower right piece should be over the top right piece, not below, dammit! God get it right it's a precious photo don't damage it...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That last scene really throws into a new light the fact that Mark sculpted the tree he doesn't know killed his wife while sitting across from.... his wife!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Jerusalem posted:

That last scene really throws into a new light the fact that Mark sculpted the tree he doesn't know killed his wife while sitting across from.... his wife!

Oh… holy poo poo. except it maybe didn’t kill her

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

that's really good. i already thought i'd be rewatching this show but if they keep up with solid revelations like this, it's going to be even more enjoyable.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I wasn't caught up with the thread so I completely missed my opportunity to post my twist-guess.

https://i.imgur.com/t5FGqG1.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/3NXzaqi.gifv
... does she know? Maybe we come back around to the "most extreme divorce" theory.

And for good measure, the spot I had to pause to laugh.
https://i.imgur.com/b533HTE.gifv

Between Cobel stealing the candle, intently watching the wellness session, getting close to the sister to track for memory leakage, and trying to prove to the board that re-integration is real, there's a possibility here that Cobel is trying to take down a Board that has perverted Kier's ideals. "I'm trying something new" indeed.

roomtone posted:

Okay, the Cobel/Mark's sister scene was a bit hard to watch - I find Ms Cobel on the outside tough to deal with - but absolutely everything else was just excellent.
Yeah, same. When she's faking-nice it unsettles me more than anything else in this show. Patricia Arquette is phenomenal. I could see her picking up supporting actress awards from wherever, despite the fact Rhea Seehorn's gonna deserve them all this year.

Khanstant posted:

tag yourself

I'm definitely Maximized Rhythms.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 26, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

DaveKap posted:

I wasn't caught up with the thread so I completely missed my opportunity to post my twist-guess.

https://i.imgur.com/t5FGqG1.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/3NXzaqi.gifv
... does she know? Maybe we come back around to the "most extreme divorce" theory.

And for good measure, the spot I had to pause to laugh.
https://i.imgur.com/b533HTE.gifv

Between Cobel stealing the candle, intently watching the wellness session, getting close to the sister to track for memory leakage, and trying to prove to the board that re-integration is real, there's a possibility here that Cobel is trying to take down a Board that has perverted Kier's ideals. "I'm trying something new" indeed.

Yeah, same. When she's faking-nice it unsettles me more than anything else in this show. Patricia Arquette is phenomenal. I could see her picking up supporting actress awards from wherever, despite the fact Rhea Seehorn's gonna deserve them all this year.

I'm definitely Maximized Rhythms.

Holy shitttt

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I have PTSD from the dance party.

And oh holky gently caress the ending.

And I was sad to see Graner die. I liked his weird affable evil

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 26, 2022

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Remember when he was on that date and she said “You could have a wife at work and not even know?”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Remember when he was on that date and she said “You could have a wife at work and not even know?”

:psypop:

God I can't wait to rewatch this whole season when it is done.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cobel asked his sister “does he ever see his wife ?”

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its very fun how completely inept and lovely everything surrounding lumen is. Milchick's dance party felt like a substitute teacher desperately trying to get through a day without cracking. I really hope this stays a big theme of the series and it doesn't turn out that its all planned or whatever later on

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

If I may quote myself from earlier: OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Been a while since I had a :asoiaf: moment watching a show.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Withnail posted:

Since this is an apple show, one theory is that Lumen is actually IBM and the show is a middle finger from the grave from Jobs who hated IBM and thought their culture turned people into pocket protected automatons.

I worked for IBM for only a year but goddamn Lumen reminds me of working there just in terms of the location, esp external. Have been searching to see if anybody else saw this

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Only Kindness posted:

If I may quote myself from earlier: OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE.

Wait till you realize why she had that green-and-red candle in Mark’s wellness visit when he made the tree.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Spacebump posted:

Maybe Mark knew after Lumon attempted to save her, she could only live inside the company. Causing him to take the job so at least his innie could see her daily. This might also explain why he got so angry at the anti Lumon protestor. I want to know how the baby goats are involved in all of this.

drat. That's a great guess. My hat is off to you. :tipshat:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Maybe Gemma was a Lumon employee and already severed prior to the accident

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if there's anything in Mark's life where he could get a glimpse of as an innie, that would snap him inside like Dylan. Like, if being across from his wife with candles from his home while they kind recall facts equally still hasn't been enough to reconnect those severed neurons or whatever... unless maybe seeing the photo gets him there. I do wonder what would happen if she just yelled at him in a wellness session, "that's your ~dead~ wife!"

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
No one will believe me but before watching the episode, I laid out my grand theory to the only other person I know who watches the show, and it included Gemma=Ms. Casey but I neglected to post it so now I can't claim any Internet Cred :(

Anyway, here's the rest of it: The number-sorting task MDR is doing is actually rewiring or rebooting minds, probably those of people who are brain-dead or otherwise personality-less (like a clone or something). Specifically, they are "taming the tempers four" or whatever it was Cobel said when praying in front of her creepy Keir shrine. Each file is a different person, and the grid of numbers is a synaptic map. The files expire because the brains can't be kept in stasis forever--eventually they'll degrade--so it is important to complete as much as possible before the time limit is up and they have activate whatever tech they have to wake the brain up with its new personality. Maybe there's another department that does the opposite of MDR--putting numbers in rather than out, thereby instilling the 9 Core Principles. The goal is to create people perfected according to Keir Eagen's philosophy.

So far they haven't been too successful, because not enough files are being completed, and those that are not fast enough to avoid some brain degradation, hence the drive to meet quotas. The results of MDR's efforts are the people Petey mentioned who never get to leave. The only one we see interacting with is Ms. Casey because she is the only one who is able to interact with people at least somewhat normally. This is because she was the subject of the greatest refinement ever: Allentown, aka Mark's Freshman Fluke.

Just as the refiners are able to subconsciously recognize emotions in certain numbers, Mark subconsciously recognized his wife in Allentown, and his familiarity with her meant that he was able to complete it in record time, a feat no one--not even Mark--has been able to replicate because of their connection. Given that Cobel is interested in "trying something new" with Ms. Casey and Mark, and that she seems intent on catching whether or not Mark and Casey/Gemma's connection is causing information or emotions to leak between personalities, Mark may have been specifically recruited to Lumon to refine Gemma himself. I don't know if they actually told Mark anything about this--I kinda doubt it, I don't think his actions really support that, but I can't be certain. Either way, Cobel at least intended it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Spacebump posted:

Maybe Mark knew after Lumon attempted to save her, she could only live inside the company. Causing him to take the job so at least his innie could see her daily. This might also explain why he got so angry at the anti Lumon protestor. I want to know how the baby goats are involved in all of this.
This is a fun theory but boy is this some hosed up world where a company could tell you your wife is alive and well inside their offices but you can't see her ever again.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Regarding whether or not Mark was told about Gemma being alive in Lumon: I'm pretty sure if he had been told that or even suspected it, the very first thing he would have asked Petey is "So how's Gemma doing?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I am leaning towards Burt and Irving’s outies being together, and have been for years.

Like Dylan said, “Maybe love transcends severance.”