Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's a shame, because I can picture it in my mind, one of the silly old-timey comics titles: "Can Clark Kent Make Rent?!"
Superman turns Jimmy Olsen into a chicken in order to profit off of cock fighting!!

Pretty much in line with a lot of the old what-if bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I haven't given Superman thought since I was a kid in the public library and found THIS:

Oh wait no there was the MArtha MARTHA

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Martman posted:

Superman turns Jimmy Olsen into a chicken in order to profit off of cock fighting!!

You wear a fursuit to avoid pursuit but you're not a fowl, you're a human, Jimmy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rockman Reserve posted:

to tie it back to the topic, the reason it seems like DCs heroes don’t age as poorly as Marvel’s is because they’re less people and more logos

like, every goddamn rear end in a top hat in DC has some kind of crest or emblem on their chest that they probably loving monologue about at least once a series. marvel has like, spider man, the fantastic four and the X-men using logos (and in the last ones case it’s more like a badge, really). dc has an entire international Batman Incorporated, half a dozen kryptonians with the S, Wonder Woman, about twenty different speedsters, half a dozen distinct Lantern Corps, just tons and tons of characters and organizations entirely defined by the oval on their boobies instead of anything actually approaching a human personality

okay come on I admit fully to being pretty glib in my comparison but I think we can both agree you can boil most comics down to 'logos'. Stan Lee did not build Marvel's branding absent of clear and obvious symbolism. He just stuck to things like character heads in corners and eye grabbing costumes (as well as getting a massive boost from things like Kirby Krackle playing off the then very popular sci-fi stylings and letting the stranger cosmic level comics stand out) rather than more literal 'the big S means 'Superman' you know'.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You wear a fursuit to avoid pursuit but you're not a fowl, you're a human, Jimmy.

Jimmy's fursona is a turtle actually

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Rockman Reserve posted:

“yeah marvel has all these multiverses” they say as they quietly try to kick flashpoint and about six different Crises into a corner

We all remember DC's iconic event, Crisis on a Finite Earth.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sexpig by night posted:

okay come on I admit fully to being pretty glib in my comparison but I think we can both agree you can boil most comics down to 'logos'. Stan Lee did not build Marvel's branding absent of clear and obvious symbolism. He just stuck to things like character heads in corners and eye grabbing costumes (as well as getting a massive boost from things like Kirby Krackle playing off the then very popular sci-fi stylings and letting the stranger cosmic level comics stand out) rather than more literal 'the big S means 'Superman' you know'.

Do you think this S stands for Samoa?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Claiming marvel has very few logos is one hell of a take too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tbh I think the idea that DC is more about archetypes and Marvel is more about humanized characters gets overplayed. Sure there may have been some difference in their narrative approaches, especially early on but as was already pointed out there’s a lot of cross-pollination wrt to talent at this point so I don’t think it’s really that true anymore

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Martman posted:

There was one comic where Superman gaslighted Jimmy into thinking he was turning into a mer person and could breathe underwater.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The universe is such a strange place. The dude from Swingers saved Star Wars and the Wesley Crusher ruined movies. Reality truly is stranger than fiction.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

bunnyofdoom posted:

Claiming marvel has very few logos is one hell of a take too.

I mean, other than the spider, the 4, and the X I can't really think of many? Punisher's skull? I guess Captain America has the A.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Push El Burrito posted:

I mean, other than the spider, the 4, and the X I can't really think of many? Punisher's skull? I guess Captain America has the A.

Captain America has the shield. Iron Man's helmet, Thor's... honestly all of Thor, Daredevil had a 'DD' emblem but also just has that eyeless cowl, Ghost Rider's flaming skull...

And it should be noted that during their big heyday Marvel had headshots of characters in the comic in the corner of the comic as a big branding thing. They had a big thing where you ABSOLUTELY recognized their characters' heads.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Black Widow has an angular hourglass thing (which is got used on the movie posters), Hawkeye has a purple target symbol or a purple arrow quill, Iron Fist has the dragon design.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Half the reason no one reads modern comics is because they literally can't let characters breathe for five minutes without having some big crisis crossover, I think everyone's lost count of how many times DC has rebooted its own universe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Half the reason no one reads modern comics is because they literally can't let characters breathe for five minutes without having some big crisis crossover, I think everyone's lost count of how many times DC has rebooted its own universe.

Only twice, but then they kinda undid one of them which made things even more confusing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cleretic posted:

Captain America has the shield. Iron Man's helmet, Thor's... honestly all of Thor, Daredevil had a 'DD' emblem but also just has that eyeless cowl, Ghost Rider's flaming skull...

And it should be noted that during their big heyday Marvel had headshots of characters in the comic in the corner of the comic as a big branding thing. They had a big thing where you ABSOLUTELY recognized their characters' heads.

yeah but there’s a difference between branding for marketing your comic and making the star of your comic essentially an inhuman icon or logo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

someone remind me which of the crisis or countdown events had a bunch of hidden stuff in the panels that ubernerds figured out meant “the multiverse still exists” as if, like, that was ever in question (even after the cartoon rabbit helped beat the hell out of space vampire alan moore)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

No real icons or logos in the Marvel universe, no sir.

Just gonna shove these into a drawer somewhere real quick... :v:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Comic books grind on and on like soap operas.

That's good and bad.

They will never mesh with comic movies, anymore than Star Wars EU will with George Gisnep movies.

You take the good you take the bad and I can't even finish watching What If.

Vandar posted:

No real icons or logos in the Marvel universe, no sir.

Just gonna shove these into a drawer somewhere real quick... :v:

I think you proved someone else's point.

What's that first one? Oh yeah it's Geometry Wars.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It took me watching Rifftrax Avengers to find out who Coulson was.

He's gonna hook up with his gf in Portland

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Portland

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Oh gawd, not Coulsun, he only had 1 day until retirement.

-no one

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Marvel literally has the most popular logo in the world right now

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The United States posted:

Marvel literally has the most popular logo in the world right now

Most thread appropriate post.

Everyone please age these images.

PM me for the recipes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Didn't Marvel change the logo in new Punisher content to distance themselves from all that?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

Speaking of which characters are analogs of which, remember that there was a collab imprint between the two for about a year in the 90s called Amalgam where the universes merged for a bit and characters got all combined like Super Soldier (a fusion of Superman and Captain America) and Dark Claw (Batman and Wolverine) and so on. I don't think Spider-Man himself showed up, but the Ben Reiley clone got merged with Superboy I think.

So there was a later Batman/Spider-man crossover, and when the joker meets spider-man again, he comments on his different outfit from the last time they met. Batman also takes out Carnage with one punch. Which you know, after maximum carnage wherein half the marvel universe has to team up to take him on, really annoyed me as a kid.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
DC has bat nipples, and I don’t think Marvel can ever live up to that standard.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

repiv posted:

Didn't Marvel change the logo in new Punisher content to distance themselves from all that?
They tweaked the logo in a new Punisher series that had its first issue come out this month, but there are (silly, fantastical) reasons for that in-story that don't point to there being any consideration of the last decade+ worth of real-world events influencing the decision. It's also something that seems custom made to exist for a year or so and then revert back to the status quo.

I think the big issue with any sort of "Marvel Comics do comics like this, but DC Comics, you know how we do!!!" analysis is that Marvel and DC are corporate entities that have both existed in one form or another for 60-90 years depending on how you want to put boundaries up, across several different parent companies, dozens of publishers/editors-in-chief (some of which bounced between companies), and thousands of overlapping creators. Trying to form a coherent and cohesive thesis statement about "what they do" is like trying to say that there is a clear and consistent narrative on the identity and philosophy of the Los Angeles Dodgers vs. the Chicago Cubs, or CBS vs. NBC, or The Vice President of the United States and the Mayor of New York City. You can compare and contrast specific timeframes, you can even try to tease out recurring tendencies, but it's never going to be one pat statement.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

So there was a later Batman/Spider-man crossover, and when the joker meets spider-man again, he comments on his different outfit from the last time they met. Batman also takes out Carnage with one punch. Which you know, after maximum carnage wherein half the marvel universe has to team up to take him on, really annoyed me as a kid.

It would annoy me now too. DC can't ever not let Batman be the best, so he has to chump everyone he meets to prove that Batman is actually the best character.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think part of the reason superman and batman are more iconic in the american cultural consciousness than most marvel characters is having a solid ~40 year head start of continuous media production with no significant pause, just spitballin

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

It would annoy me now too. DC can't ever not let Batman be the best, so he has to chump everyone he meets to prove that Batman is actually the best character.

Tom King wrote a pretty good story about that. Bruce serves on a jury for a murder trial against Mr Freeze because he realizes that someone weaponized the idea that Batman is always right to frame Freeze. The rest of the jury is all "Well Batman said he did it so he must be guilty" and Bruce has to convince them that sometimes even Batman makes mistakes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

There was one comic where Superman gaslighted Jimmy into thinking he was turning into a mer person and could breathe underwater.

I love this story. I grew up laughing at the old Silver Age Superman and Jimmy Olsen covers on Superdickery and was delighted to find out that the stories inside were way more insane than the covers let on.

Alaois posted:

i think part of the reason superman and batman are more iconic in the american cultural consciousness than most marvel characters is having a solid ~40 year head start of continuous media production with no significant pause, just spitballin

Eh, not quite. Superman and Batman were always popular. Superheroes were mega popular and the dominant comic genre during the WW2 years but right after, the only superheroes that really kept up their popularity were Superman and Batman. Every other character waned until the dawn of the Silver Age.

Except for Captain Marvel. A bit of forgotten history, but Captain Marvel was far more popular than Superman for a long time. So popular that DC sued Fawcett and won. So Fawcett wouldn’t publish any more Captain Marvel until DC eventually licensed the character from them in the 70s (and eventually bought them outright). So Captain Marvel became mostly forgotten in the coming decades. And the copyright on the name expired, so there were dozens of other characters named Captain Marvel, including Marvel’s. So now DC couldn’t publish the character’s own name on his own comic covers.

Detective No. 27 has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Mar 25, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think one of my favorite is the one with the robot designed to smash your camera. Just the level of being a dick Superman goes through when he could have just asked Jimmy not to take a picture.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rockman Reserve posted:

to tie it back to the topic, the reason it seems like DCs heroes don’t age as poorly as Marvel’s is because they’re less people and more logos

like, every goddamn rear end in a top hat in DC has some kind of crest or emblem on their chest that they probably loving monologue about at least once a series. marvel has like, spider man, the fantastic four and the X-men using logos (and in the last ones case it’s more like a badge, really). dc has an entire international Batman Incorporated, half a dozen kryptonians with the S, Wonder Woman, about twenty different speedsters, half a dozen distinct Lantern Corps, just tons and tons of characters and organizations entirely defined by the oval on their boobies instead of anything actually approaching a human personality

I think the big DC Heroes are just more archetypal than Marvels are, although I'd argue that Spider-Man is probably a 4th superhero archetype. Marvel have always been a little more prone to trend-chasing too, although characters can survive that, like Luke Cage has, albeit by changing significantly.

There's a tendency to think of DC as more conservative since their big names have dad vibes while Marvel leans towards "this could be you and your pals" vibes, but DC was canny as heck in the late 80s and 90s in getting a lot of pretty experimental talent on board and letting them loose on dead properties like Doom Patrol or Sandman.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Spider-man almost feels like an outlier tbh. Like if you back and read the old silver age stuff the first Spider-Man is just head and shoulders above everything else they were writing at the time

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

christmas boots posted:

Spider-man almost feels like an outlier tbh. Like if you back and read the old silver age stuff the first Spider-Man is just head and shoulders above everything else they were writing at the time

Spider-Man seems like he couldn't have really existed before the "teen-ager" became a thing a few years earlier. I find it interesting that some later versions of The Flash fit that nervous-but-capable rookie role in the Justice League later. There'd been teenage characters before, like Robin or Bucky, but they weren't really the same idea.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Disco Pope posted:

Spider-Man seems like he couldn't have really existed before the "teen-ager" became a thing a few years earlier. I find it interesting that some later versions of The Flash fit that nervous-but-capable rookie role in the Justice League later. There'd been teenage characters before, like Robin or Bucky, but they weren't really the same idea.

Robin and Bucky were children who sometimes acted like adults or viceversa, Spider-Man was breaking ground when he was worrying about how his powers and responsibilities would affect his schoolwork and personal relationships and later on how he would make ends meet despite being a top ten most powerful superhero at the time

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And the struggles of nocturnal web emissions

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Peter was unique in that he was a person who was a superhero.

The X-men would later do a similar thing under Claremont but it was more a fusion of the two and Peter came first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nottherealaborn posted:

DC has bat nipples, and I don’t think Marvel can ever live up to that standard.

Rob Liefeld would like a word