Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

empty whippet box posted:

don't worry, it's not zika. it's probably just some so-far unknown horrific effect of covid, which means it's absolutely nothing to worry about at all. imagine the relief that mother will feel when she's told that her baby had comorbidities, so their disfigurement and or death was far milder than it could have been if it weren't covid

iirc covid can also cause baby head shrinkage if a pregnant woman gets it, or some other similarly horrifying effects on a developing baby

fucks that’s so horrible. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Wow diseases can be bad for you, if only we could afford to do something about that

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

bad boys for life posted:

turns out there is so much paxlovid supply you can get scripts ahead of time, just got 2 to sit on a shelf til next time

you all may want to ask a dr to get a script ahead of time, shelf lifes longer than time between covid waves by far

How does this work? do you ask your doctor to write you a script for paxlovid in case you get covid? I've never had a doctor write me a prescription unless I was actively sick so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Other fools: I don't have COVID, it's just allergies
Me in an N95: I don't have either because I'm not breathing the poison air unfiltered

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
just remember to make sure your mask/respirator is bagged up before you spray yourself with mosquito repellant because I'm sure that poo poo will wreck your filters

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Atrocious Joe posted:

Other fools: I don't have COVID, it's just allergies
Me in an N95: I don't have either because I'm not breathing the poison air unfiltered

I legit have had horrid allergies since last Monday when while mowing my lawn my kids decided it'd be fun to take a bunch of the grass clippings and douse me in them, which I of course had to do to them, which led to all of us having stuffy noses and coughs. took three separate Biden Tests, including swabbing my throat, and each one came back very negative. I'm feeling much better today and have that post-allergy clear nose but with productive coughing.

allergies right now are very real but so is covid so ymmv.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thoguh posted:

She doesn't know yet, she has to find out because the baby has a small head, I have no idea how long the turnaround on something like that is or what the odds are that it's that vs some other birth defect that's unrelated vs a scary but ultimately not a big deal thing. It's just the fact that it's now even something that has entered the conversation that's loving wild but also a direct result of decisions they had control over.

how horrible :(

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when it's cold as poo poo outside I wear my n95 outside too just because it's warmer and I don't want to wear a scarf. wearing a mask to help with allergies would also be a good use of masks, but no, the most important thing is that nobody has to be horrifically oppressed by the awful awful fate of having a mask on, which is the worst thing that could possibly ever happen to anyone.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Strep Vote posted:

every unmasked face is a gun pointing at me and every smiling jackass is saying "don't worry it's not loaded"

or a dog jumping on me and the owner saying "it's ok he loves people"

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Zerg Mans posted:

or a dog jumping on me and the owner saying "it's ok he loves people"

no that means playtime's over

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

I legit have had horrid allergies since last Monday when while mowing my lawn my kids decided it'd be fun to take a bunch of the grass clippings and douse me in them, which I of course had to do to them, which led to all of us having stuffy noses and coughs. took three separate Biden Tests, including swabbing my throat, and each one came back very negative. I'm feeling much better today and have that post-allergy clear nose but with productive coughing.

allergies right now are very real but so is covid so ymmv.

build a corsi cube. I should be getting wrecked right now but I'm not and the only difference this year is that I have a corsi cube going in my home and office when I'm there.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

NeonPunk posted:

It is a pretty loving bad sign if the virus is starting to really explore ORF3a space for further evolution.

nothing much what's ORF3a with you

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of my favorite parts of the respirator is that allergies just disappear an hour or so after I don it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
DATAA

-According to Wastewater Data, every major city in the country is hosed and people should be dying on the streets.
-CDC BA.2 prevalence says we're screwed soon.
-Admissions aren't increasing in any real manner.

3 Day Admission High
-Arkansas
-Indiana
-North Carolina

5 day
-Colorado
-South Carolina
-Utah

7 Day
-Georgia
-Iowa
-North Dakota
-New Hampshire

1 Month
-Maine

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pillowpants posted:

DATAA

-According to Wastewater Data, every major city in the country is hosed and people should be dying on the streets.
-CDC BA.2 prevalence says we're screwed soon.
-Admissions aren't increasing in any real manner.

3 Day Admission High
-Arkansas
-Indiana
-North Carolina

5 day
-Colorado
-South Carolina
-Utah

7 Day
-Georgia
-Iowa
-North Dakota
-New Hampshire

1 Month
-Maine

wow! it's mild!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dog Case posted:

Wow diseases can be bad for you, if only we could afford to do something about that

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

legsarerequired posted:

How does this work? do you ask your doctor to write you a script for paxlovid in case you get covid? I've never had a doctor write me a prescription unless I was actively sick so I'm pleasantly surprised.

yes, i asked them to write me a script for it as i take rapids and want to take the drug asap. i got loving covid twice in ~60 days recently. not sure itll work for all of you, but worth a talk.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: My county 7 day average is starting to tic back up again.

Views:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao if it's because people are starting to run out of the Biden tests and are having to get PCRs again though.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

lmao if it's because people are starting to run out of the Biden tests and are having to get PCRs again though.

I was thinking exactly this, yeah

related, school cases are starting to tick up too, but only among the students

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

Don't worry, the funding is gone, so as soon as those tests run out, we'll finally have achieved zero COVID!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxplanckpress/status/1507308961292247046

All those posters who wear goggles or protective eyewear are not overreacting. Fun thing is that this could also explain the hallucinations in some covid patients!

ah so it's probably a bad thing that i've been seeing false objects/movement in my peripheral vision the past few months? please god just let it be prodromal schizophrenia

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

not_superiority posted:

build a corsi cube. I should be getting wrecked right now but I'm not and the only difference this year is that I have a corsi cube going in my home and office when I'm there.

corsi rosenthal is king, I've been running ours constantly in the stairwell and my stuffed ears have eased up.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

not_superiority posted:

that's my plan for the weekend though living in Oregon means trying to stave off allergies is like pissing on a wildfire, which ironically is something we now have to deal with yearly.

e: if anybody has a link to easy instructions for construction and for one that doesn't look like absolute rear end, I'd appreciate it.

Sep 2, 2011
i know i'm preaching to the choir, but honestly, i literally do not yet know how to cope if i were ever infected. i still don't plan to be, and i am doing everything possible to stay ahead of the curve and prevent that, but the fact is that selfish people are actively making it harder and harder to avoid COVID and my brain cannot accept the inevitability of likely being disabled, chronically ill, and/or immunocompromised the rest of my life, and the powers that be apparently actively want that to happen. literally, it triggers my fight-or-flight reflex to think about it, and i am just constantly tense and elevated to the point it has caused me physical pain and discomfort since Omicron hit. everything got worse at that point, and that's when people gave up. i have had full on anxiety attacks thinking about a dental appointment next month. i have had anger issues i've never had before, and i've cut off pretty much all of my friends recently because they just don't care, are happy to openerup, and think i am just being irrational. i would personally be overwhelmed with shame and rage if i were infected because i am the only one i know who gives a poo poo, the only one i know who is apparently concerned with or morally responsible to other people. it doesn't help that i do literally have OCD over moral and ethical matters. i am having nightmares about being exposed on a regular basis and i'm not sleeping well. i am angrier and angrier every day, and the only thing people tell me is that i am 1) overreacting because they think i won't literally die on a vent and 2) "you're gonna get it, embrace it!!! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" actual cultish, zombie poo poo.

this loving pandemic took not only obviously the things that i wanted to do (that other people are selfishly, recklessly doing anyway and complaining about because they are mad other people aren't), but being able to reliably do the things i have to do that i've put off and that i have to schedule around the consequences of their selfishness. it has destroyed any social network i had, it's made me view everyone as a threat to my wellbeing, and every day just sucks. i have no dopamine left, but plenty of cortisol and adrenaline. i was traumatized and living with that before, but this is compounding and exacerbating that because it's traumatic in of itself.

i think i would probably survive infection but i don't know, none of us can know how bad it would be, acutely or chronically. i do know now that my friends absolutely don't care and have 100% given up trying either way. they're incredibly privileged and ignorant. and if i were infected and even disabled/chronically ill it would be a thing i would have to integrate like anyone else who is, but gently caress, dude, this poo poo loving sucks. i don't think brains are built to just endure unending panoramic horror and callous, calculated brutality like this. 1,000,000+ people in the USA died from this! in 2 years! gently caress!

and yes, i am in therapy. i'm doing my best to stay well and to navigate this. it's just, gently caress, man. the thing is, *how i feel is rational and justified*. it's not an irrational thing or cognitive distortion, poo poo is extremely dangerous. but i don't know what to do with that fact. human beings are loving awful, and i will never be what i was before this, even just before omicron. hell, i was normally too shy to even :justpost: until recently.

i just hope against hope all of us can stay as infection free as possible. i hope we can avoid as many ill effects as possible. i'm cheering on everyone who wants to stay safe and i want to share that because it's more and more lonely being one of those people and we don't get people cheering us on. :sympathy:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

if I make a corsi cube it’s gotta be quiet enough to go in my cubicle, and it feels
pointless since I sit in a giant room anyway

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thoguh posted:

The Democrats can’t even scheme competently.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 355 days!
So the biden tests were specifically to keep the positive numbers off the books then? It seems like a good ruse provided there's enough funding to carry it through midterms

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

loading... posted:

i know i'm preaching to the choir, but honestly, i literally do not yet know how to cope if i were ever infected. i still don't plan to be, and i am doing everything possible to stay ahead of the curve and prevent that, but the fact is that selfish people are actively making it harder and harder to avoid COVID and my brain cannot accept the inevitability of likely being disabled, chronically ill, and/or immunocompromised the rest of my life

Well... 10-40% incidence of PASC is more like possibly being disabled, chronically ill, and/or immunocompromised the rest of your life, not "likely" per se.

hth! :cheerdoge:

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

if I make a corsi cube it’s gotta be quiet enough to go in my cubicle, and it feels
pointless since I sit in a giant room anyway

iirc even a little one next to you can be helpful, maybe not like a full size one in a closed room but it's something

Sep 2, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

Well... 10-40% incidence of PASC is more like possibly being disabled, chronically ill, and/or immunocompromised the rest of your life, not "likely" per se.

hth! :cheerdoge:

you know what, it's something. and i'll take what i can get.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
3 months ago my father in law and his wife got COVID. They hadn't been masking in public for months (karaoke, dart team stuff, bars 2-3x a week), felt like poo poo for two weeks and went back to the normal stuff. They have a roommate who did not get covid because she didn't show any symptoms (lol)

About a month ago, she claims her "fibromyalgia and IBS are acting up" and isnt feeling good so she cant help around the house anymore.......and I guess she's been ordering grocery delivery for a few weeks now. She left the house for the first time in weeks on Tuesday.

.....And shes ventilated in the ICU right now with "ammonia" per my FIL.

E: And my FIL just had a brainscan because his lips have been going numb randomly since covid

Pillowpants has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Mar 25, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A year ago, I could name three people I know who had ever caught covid. Right now I know at least four who are positive, and have a friend who is still struggling with long covid.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

loading... posted:

i know i'm preaching to the choir, but honestly, i literally do not yet know how to cope if i were ever infected. i still don't plan to be, and i am doing everything possible to stay ahead of the curve and prevent that, but the fact is that selfish people are actively making it harder and harder to avoid COVID and my brain cannot accept the inevitability of likely being disabled, chronically ill, and/or immunocompromised the rest of my life, and the powers that be apparently actively want that to happen. literally, it triggers my fight-or-flight reflex to think about it, and i am just constantly tense and elevated to the point it has caused me physical pain and discomfort since Omicron hit. everything got worse at that point, and that's when people gave up. i have had full on anxiety attacks thinking about a dental appointment next month. i have had anger issues i've never had before, and i've cut off pretty much all of my friends recently because they just don't care, are happy to openerup, and think i am just being irrational. i would personally be overwhelmed with shame and rage if i were infected because i am the only one i know who gives a poo poo, the only one i know who is apparently concerned with or morally responsible to other people. it doesn't help that i do literally have OCD over moral and ethical matters. i am having nightmares about being exposed on a regular basis and i'm not sleeping well. i am angrier and angrier every day, and the only thing people tell me is that i am 1) overreacting because they think i won't literally die on a vent and 2) "you're gonna get it, embrace it!!! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" actual cultish, zombie poo poo.

this loving pandemic took not only obviously the things that i wanted to do (that other people are selfishly, recklessly doing anyway and complaining about because they are mad other people aren't), but being able to reliably do the things i have to do that i've put off and that i have to schedule around the consequences of their selfishness. it has destroyed any social network i had, it's made me view everyone as a threat to my wellbeing, and every day just sucks. i have no dopamine left, but plenty of cortisol and adrenaline. i was traumatized and living with that before, but this is compounding and exacerbating that because it's traumatic in of itself.

i think i would probably survive infection but i don't know, none of us can know how bad it would be, acutely or chronically. i do know now that my friends absolutely don't care and have 100% given up trying either way. they're incredibly privileged and ignorant. and if i were infected and even disabled/chronically ill it would be a thing i would have to integrate like anyone else who is, but gently caress, dude, this poo poo loving sucks. i don't think brains are built to just endure unending panoramic horror and callous, calculated brutality like this. 1,000,000+ people in the USA died from this! in 2 years! gently caress!

and yes, i am in therapy. i'm doing my best to stay well and to navigate this. it's just, gently caress, man. the thing is, *how i feel is rational and justified*. it's not an irrational thing or cognitive distortion, poo poo is extremely dangerous. but i don't know what to do with that fact. human beings are loving awful, and i will never be what i was before this, even just before omicron. hell, i was normally too shy to even :justpost: until recently.

i just hope against hope all of us can stay as infection free as possible. i hope we can avoid as many ill effects as possible. i'm cheering on everyone who wants to stay safe and i want to share that because it's more and more lonely being one of those people and we don't get people cheering us on. :sympathy:

you should continue doing what you’re doing to avoid covid and stop reading this thread

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Scudworth posted:

As a non-merican thank you for posting this, we never get to see poo poo like this, i know what "the marketplace" is but never a screenshot

there may be terms in that picture you are not familiar with. here's a thread to help:

https://twitter.com/JohnDiesattheEn/status/1507050561727868932?t=i8qsbHTzAEvHpDThgNLlTg&s=19

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

another student who was in class yesterday will now be out for a few days. huh.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you've ever been involved in American youth sports you figure out pretty quickly that kids are there for parents to relive their childhood vicariously. That is it.

Children are chattel to be used for the benefit of their owners in the US.

parents ritualistically destroy their children's bodies in team sports that human joints aren't built to handle.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Lots of people on work Slack saying they are sick with "allergies" and reporting negative antigen tests.

It's been said a million times, but the strategy of relying on those tests was genius political theater. Millions of false negatives and most of the pozzes won't even show up in the official stats.

still testing negative on rapid tests, though i definitely have it and have been symptomatic for over a day. lol.

we'll never reach 200 cases per 100k pop. in the past 7 days again. as designed.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
we've established time and time again that America hates children when they aren't needed to further a personal agenda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

so many people itt know tons of people with Covid, or have anecdotes about students missing 50% of the year so far, etc

meanwhile I don’t know anybody right now with it, nobody at my work has popped positive in a while unless my work decided to stop announcing it without telling us (very possible), and my fiancé who is a teacher hasn’t had a student out for Covid since early Feb