Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Prowler posted:

Either there's a bug, or there's a weird decision regarding speed and initial turns in battle. It turns out that maybe your weapon and accessory bonus doesn't factor in.

First three turns in this battle on the ally side:

1. Anna: 29
2. Spoiler1: 28
3. Spoiler2: 33 (27*)

*Spoiler2 has a speed amulet (2 speed) and all three levels of weapon speed up (+4, I think). So... 33-6=27.

Making vanguard scarf even more useful if you're trying to set something up.

You can definitely change initial turn order around with speed equips, but it's not one to one - characters/enemies seem to have some inherent staggering based on (as far as I can tell) base speed and difficulty. Most I've seen it do is moving people in the latter half up towards the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Opening speed has a different formula to turn speed.

It is affected by speed but it doesn't match it.

Benedict for example has a higher opening speed than Julio but if you give Julio +3 speed he opens earlier.

You can engineer this pretty exactly if you know what you're doing. So my opening turn with the A team will look like.

Turn 1 Ezana Vanguard Scarf
Turn 2 Julio
Turn 3 Medina
Turn 4 Quahaug

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Nick Buntline posted:

You can definitely change initial turn order around with speed equips, but it's not one to one - characters/enemies seem to have some inherent staggering based on (as far as I can tell) base speed and difficulty. Most I've seen it do is moving people in the latter half up towards the middle.

Natural 20 posted:

Opening speed has a different formula to turn speed.

It is affected by speed but it doesn't match it.

Benedict for example has a higher opening speed than Julio but if you give Julio +3 speed he opens earlier.

You can engineer this pretty exactly if you know what you're doing.

I figured there was more, but didn't think there were this many exceptions! I only recently started paying closer attention since most of my squad is level 50, so their stats rarely change.

It's actually a perfect opportunity to upgrade someone's strength and see the attack difference...

Prowler fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 25, 2022

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Arbite posted:

One other thing I really appreciated is how the character art, no matter how sinister, is no indication of who is more evil than anyone else.

Not every character with a sinister portrait is evil, but every evil character has a sinister portrait.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Natural 20 posted:

It depends on who you're fighting.

Hyzante given the chance will field a lot of horses.

But yeah, your own forces kinda suffer from lack of options outside of infantry.

I only fought Hyzante horses once that I can think of. It definitely feels like a horse is just a cosmetic thing - Hawks make a real difference at least.
And agreed Roland would almost always die first because he can walk a step or two further and you're usually a turn or two away from the enemies

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A horse just means +1 movement and a spear weakness compared to what that character would be if they didn't have the horse. Roland is 1 faster than infantry, Hossabara is 1 faster than casters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mustard Iceman posted:

Not every character with a sinister portrait is evil, but every evil character has a sinister portrait.

Booker, Idore, and Exharme don’t have sinister portraits from my opinion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Exharme isn't really evil, IMO, unless there's something I missed from a route I haven't played yet. He's just invested in getting on top of the system he's born in. Booker is a ruthlessly loyal attendant, it just happens his boss is awful.

I appreciated the irony with Sorsley that Sorsley's "crime" is honestly the least amoral thing he does. His monstrous behaviour towards the Roselle is indeed fully condoned by the Hyzantian church.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 25, 2022

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

MonsterEnvy posted:

Booker, Idore, and Exharme don’t have sinister portraits from my opinion.

Anyone as old as Idore is sinister looking by default especially in fashy church robes like that.

I think the way Booker is pulling off his gloves in his portrait indicates that he's involved in fine super dirty poo poo.

Exharme isn't necessarily bad, at least in what I've seen. He just thinks he should be protagonist, similar to Dragan.... he knows the goddess stuff is shady and wants to change Norzelia for the better much in the way Serenoa does, but wants it to be on his terms and without taking the risks Serenoa does. Hence the civil war with Tenebris in the Morality epilogue

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Anyone know how Rite of Thunderstorms calculates accuracy? There are several variables to check, but it seems directly correlated to enemy dodge. Just to test it out, I gave her a spice to increase her accuracy; it didn't appear to increase the hit rate for any of her targets.

Hardly conclusive, though. Anyone know how to increase its accuracy?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo this game. Hey guys should we condone and enable slavery or should we not? Let us consult the scales of conviction? Great Writing :rolleyes:

e: Roland is the dimmest bulb isnt he? He just cant understand that the puppet kingdom of a Glenbrook with his sister as its figurehead would ally against Hyzante as part of a scheme to conquer the lands.

This story sucks.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 25, 2022

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Prowler posted:

Anyone know how Rite of Thunderstorms calculates accuracy? There are several variables to check, but it seems directly correlated to enemy dodge. Just to test it out, I gave her a spice to increase her accuracy; it didn't appear to increase the hit rate for any of her targets.

It seems based on Ezana's level or magic stat vs. target level or magic defense stat.

I was using the Rite to grind spoils/coin in the level 10 tavern fight because she would always miss least one, which let Lionel go through to pick up all the bags. Once I hit a higher level (31 or so?) the hit rate reached 100% on all targets so I couldn't do it there anymore.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Could someone explain something I don't grasp with the TP system? Some moves require two TP to use, but there's like a blank TP dot in front of it. For example, I'm trying to level up Piccoletta right now. First turn, I use Decoy. It requires two TP. So the battle will continue, the decoy gets killed, and Picolleta's turn comes again, and she has two TP. But the game won't let me use Decoy again. Does the blank dot mean the ability uses two TP but requires three TP to be banked before I can use?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Decoy requires 3. The dot is showing that you're missing one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ahh, I see that now that I have three TP.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Prowler posted:

It's based on either enemy luck or comparative luck. I'm nearly certain of it.

There is a way to give it 100% hit, I'm working on a video to demonstrate.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Holy poo poo this game. Hey guys should we condone and enable slavery or should we not? Let us consult the scales of conviction? Great Writing :rolleyes:

e: Roland is the dimmest bulb isnt he? He just cant understand that the puppet kingdom of a Glenbrook with his sister as its figurehead would ally against Hyzante as part of a scheme to conquer the lands.

This story sucks.

But have you considered: that if you defend and liberate the oppressed people then one of the bad guys will get mad and attack you?

And then, because decisions have consequences, you'll have to defeat them in combat using strategy and tactics. And then you'll win! And then your morally and ethically correct choice will be vindicated!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, "We are all aware slavery is evil but it would be politically inconvenient to do anything about it right THIS second, but perhaps one day down the road ... or maybe it'll sort itself out," is a position with a fair bit of historical precedent.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, without the meta-knowledge that this is a strategy game and you're just choosing between two story branches with roughly comparable fights, "Our political situation is perilous, our soldiers are tired, and we're low on supplies, can we really afford to alienate our only potential ally?" is a tough call to make. Good intentions don't mean much if they just get you and everyone under your protection killed!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Besides the point of the mechanic is that you convince people over to your point of view. I got an unanimous vote, even.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, without the meta-knowledge that this is a strategy game and you're just choosing between two story branches with roughly comparable fights, "Our political situation is perilous, our soldiers are tired, and we're low on supplies, can we really afford to alienate our only potential ally?" is a tough call to make. Good intentions don't mean much if they just get you and everyone under your protection killed!

Yeah the political situation here is written under the assumption that it takes more than a plucky band of eight to ten people to literally uproot the continent's entire social and economic order. In the context of the story, yeah the Roselle being slaves is monstrous, but the continent has literally just come off a gigantic decades-long hellwar that killed a bazillion people and the present peace is extremely fragile. Kicking off a slave revolt might be morally correct but it has every chance of failure and also has every chance of re-igniting the hellwar that will kill enormous amounts of people in the process.

Hell, even in the "save the Roselle" ending, yeah the Roselle get out and free, but the rest of the continent turns into a bloody slurry and tons of people who had absolutely nothing to do with the enslavement of the Roselle get to die in civil wars and infighting and the endgame is likely going to be Gustadolph conquering everything in the end.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kanos posted:

Yeah the political situation here is written under the assumption that it takes more than a plucky band of eight to ten people to literally uproot the continent's entire social and economic order. In the context of the story, yeah the Roselle being slaves is monstrous, but the continent has literally just come off a gigantic decades-long hellwar that killed a bazillion people and the present peace is extremely fragile. Kicking off a slave revolt might be morally correct but it has every chance of failure and also has every chance of re-igniting the hellwar that will kill enormous amounts of people in the process.

Hell, even in the "save the Roselle" ending, yeah the Roselle get out and free, but the rest of the continent turns into a bloody slurry and tons of people who had absolutely nothing to do with the enslavement of the Roselle get to die in civil wars and infighting and the endgame is likely going to be Gustadolph conquering everything in the end.

Here's the thing though: the whole point of the game is that there are no perfect decisions that make everyone happy. As long as there are wars over resources that are closely guarded by city states with vastly different cultures, bloodshed and conflict will never ever end. People are going to die no matter what so just let the whole place burn and whoever wins the war gets to dominate over an empty wartorn wasteland where all the survivors hate them.

Not an awesome choice either but I'll take that over trying to install myself as god king and becoming the thing I hate most (like Delita in FFT).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Huxley posted:

To be fair, "We are all aware slavery is evil but it would be politically inconvenient to do anything about it right THIS second, but perhaps one day down the road ... or maybe it'll sort itself out," is a position with a fair bit of historical precedent.

I just finished the Hyzante route, and oh boy Frederica definitely went in on this line of reasoning on my behalf (seriously, Serenoa)? I like that, in this route, you get hints about how to handle Svarog, the story makes it clear that you're enabling the church to be even worse, and almost no one aside from Serenoa and Roland seem to think it's a good idea. And, yep, dissidents are immediately thrown in prison work camps.

Basically, any choice related to selling [out] the Roselle makes you feel like a piece of poo poo for doing so, and it's hilarious.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like... yes you can always do the morally good thing involving the roselle... it's like the game labels those choices "morality" or something...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Another minor quibble but ut seems like all your victories are hollow. They have no weight at all on the state of the world. Ive defeated Aesfrost twice and they are still able to do everything they want with no change in their plans or even worth mentioning to Gustadolf. I suspect when i finally kill frederica's siblings that Aesfrost will do exactly what they planned to do anyway Ill be surprised if Guetadolf says anything except "all according to keikaku."

I just want my decisions to affect the story, and so far they dont at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Here's the thing though: the whole point of the game is that there are no perfect decisions that make everyone happy. As long as there are wars over resources that are closely guarded by city states with vastly different cultures, bloodshed and conflict will never ever end. People are going to die no matter what so just let the whole place burn and whoever wins the war gets to dominate over an empty wartorn wasteland where all the survivors hate them.

Not an awesome choice either but I'll take that over trying to install myself as god king and becoming the thing I hate most (like Delita in FFT).

The idea of that route is that if you unite everything under an enlightened ruler he'll have the power and the clout to change the system. It doesn't free the Roselle as fast, but freeing them is part of the plan, and the benefit versus the Roselle route is that ideally a whole lot less people will die and Norzelia won't descend into quite as much of a blood-soaked nightmare.

Someone raised by House Wolffort being in charge is probably the best possible outcome for everyone barring the Golden Ending, given that House Wolffort is continually presented as a mostly neutral mediator between warring powers and they have an established history of valuing and protecting minorities.

IMO it's the closest thing to a good ending besides the Golden Ending, because the other two options are "support the absolute worst parts of the existing status quo in the name of vengeance" or "destroy the awful status quo and then run away and leave everyone else to deal with the consequences of your actions".

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Elephant Ambush posted:

And then, because decisions have consequences, you'll have to defeat them in combat using strategy and tactics. And then you'll win! And then your morally and ethically correct choice will be vindicated!

Snake Maze posted:

I'd love a campaign that took off the training wheels and had a ton of difficulty variability based on your unwillingness to compromise certain principles. I could see how that could run into a bunch of design quandaries, though.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I appreciate that they did a lot of work to make each route fairly unique and sensical in the end. And you don't have to be a terrible rear end in a top hat to get the golden route/good ending. Tactics Ogre, for as much as I love it, the first decision in that game, which is between slaughtering an entire town of people at the behest of your leader because they refuse to join your cause (and will be used to frame the opposition army), or disobey, and be on the run for a while. . Choosing the former puts you on the path to the best possible ending, though there are a million other mechanics that can prevent you from getting the best ending after that point.

I bet the vast majority of people went with the Chaos route because of that choice. Similar to voting between giving up Roland or protecting him--I'm sure most people choose to protect him.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Natural 20 posted:

It's based on either enemy luck or comparative luck. I'm nearly certain of it.

There is a way to give it 100% hit, I'm working on a video to demonstrate.
Yesterday when I finished NG+ it had a 9% hit rate on some generic enemies (not even Elite) in Chapter 18, and that's with Ezana maxed out.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cephas posted:

I'd love a campaign that took off the training wheels and had a ton of difficulty variability based on your unwillingness to compromise certain principles. I could see how that could run into a bunch of design quandaries, though.

Tbh that runs the risk of making e.g. slavery Optimal, like in Civ IV where it was incredibly effective to adopt slavery early on and "whip" your population to get ahead in production.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Yesterday when I finished NG+ it had a 9% hit rate on some generic enemies (not even Elite) in Chapter 18, and that's with Ezana maxed out.

Yeah it's odd.

Basically I checked hit chance and the only thing that corresponded to how it decreased was enemy luck.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Prowler posted:

I just finished the Hyzante route, and oh boy Frederica definitely went in on this line of reasoning on my behalf (seriously, Serenoa)? I like that, in this route, you get hints about how to handle Svarog, the story makes it clear that you're enabling the church to be even worse, and almost no one aside from Serenoa and Roland seem to think it's a good idea. And, yep, dissidents are immediately thrown in prison work camps.

Basically, any choice related to selling [out] the Roselle makes you feel like a piece of poo poo for doing so, and it's hilarious.

And we see how even in that ending the implication that despite suppressing most of the heretics, the Hyzante hasn't gotten to dealing with Frederica in a permanent matter, believing mocking and ridiculing her would suffice. Its a breeding ground for religous war.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well, just reached the point in the Golden route Where we split into three teams. Is it possible to grind up my low level characters or am I about to have a real rough go?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kingtheninja posted:

Well, just reached the point in the Golden route Where we split into three teams. Is it possible to grind up my low level characters or am I about to have a real rough go?

Use mock battles on very easy. Your characters will level up everytime they do an action, it shouldn't take more then two of the highest level mock battles to level your guys up.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tender Bender posted:

Tbh that runs the risk of making e.g. slavery Optimal, like in Civ IV where it was incredibly effective to adopt slavery early on and "whip" your population to get ahead in production.

The Slavery Civic was not at all trying to make a moral judgement. In fact the way slavery works is that the world doesn't realize "slavery bad" until liberalism is discovered around 3000 years after you first adopt slavery. It's purely a gameplay construct where you can sacrifice population to get faster production. It's called slavery for flavor purposes, much like Abraham Lincoln is the leader of the "blue team" and Shaka Zulu is the leader of the "yellow team."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Slavery Civic was not at all trying to make a moral judgement. In fact the way slavery works is that the world doesn't realize "slavery bad" until liberalism is discovered around 3000 years after you first adopt slavery. It's purely a gameplay construct where you can sacrifice population to get faster production. It's called slavery for flavor purposes, much like Abraham Lincoln is the leader of the "blue team" and Shaka Zulu is the leader of the "yellow team."

The flavour and theming is the whole game, it's not just an excel spreadsheet where "slavery = more numbers"

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just reached the final chapter of Frederica's route, and I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting from the automaton, but "horses, but faster" definitely wasn't it. I don't even think they're mechanical at all! They poofed into nothingness, so I have to assume they're made entirely of magical energy.

Anyway, it's kind of neat that Idore is more of a support/area control guy and actually does less damage than the regular enemies.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The horses were pretty underwhelming. Like “we got here so fast because of horses” and “robot horses are kinda just regular horses” were both equally dumb lol.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's not a moral judgment, but it is actually Slavery as a morally neutral but efficient option, not "green civic or red civic". That's actually worse, so I guess you're right that it wasn't a good comparison.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBjiNt_Uk3g

This is the most disgusting thing I figured out in this game.

It's a 100% hit chance on Ezana's Rite of Thunderstorms.