Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also tanking the bone dragon north is something exclusive to the primal datacenter. They do not do it anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also tanking the bone dragon north is something exclusive to the primal datacenter. They do not do it anywhere else, iirc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also tanking the bone dragon north is something exclusive to the primal datacenter. They do not do it anywhere else, iirc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Lol fuckin app triple posting.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also tanking the bone dragon north is something exclusive to the primal datacenter. They do not do it anywhere else.

This is true but here’s my anecdote: the two times I’ve not seen the bone dragon pulled north are also the only two times we wiped to the bone dragon. I do not trust pubs.

(Am on Primal.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you put this much thought into a roulette you're a lost soul and I hope God's grace can find you in that darkness one day.

Allarion posted:

Running MSQ roulette for the XP was your first mistake

My solution is that I just don’t run MSQR at all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm on Crystal and I have not seen bone dragon pulled anywhere else, but north

Edit: wait I never have actually looked at the map North is running past bone dragon and pulling to the top of the arena, right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm on Crystal and I have not seen bone dragon pulled anywhere else, but north.

Oh god our sickness has spread.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Aether still parks Bone Dragon dead center where it loving belongs. :smug:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I'm on Crystal and I have not seen bone dragon pulled anywhere else, but north

Edit: wait I never have actually looked at the map North is running past bone dragon and pulling to the top of the arena, right?

Yeah. The entrance is South, bad groups pull across to the North. If the healers are awake you can just hold the boss in the middle.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can I blame North pulls for our groups getting owned by the Iron Giant in the King Behemoth fight?

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

I have literally not done MSQ roulette once since they made the cutscenes unskippable like 5 years ago.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Mordiceius posted:

My solution is that I just don’t run MSQR at all.

This is the magical solution to the problem of "I don't like some of the contents of this roulette". Don't run it! Do something else! Run a different roulette! Find a different source of XP!

Also as a Crystal resident it's kind of random if you're going to get Bone Dragon center or north... but I remember it being north more often. It doesn't actually matter and I don't care, I am usually too busy spamming my AOE heals when the skellies show up because I have experienced wipes to having absolute useless rear end-scratching healers in the party when they all explode.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I do it when I have youtube videos or streams to watch.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’m on Crystal, and they pull Bone Dragon north 80% of the time. Last time I tanked it, someone provoked it from me and pulled it north. Ha. Haaaa.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I saw it like a month ago and then sometime after that it was a full on wipe. Granted it hasn't happened to me since then, but I have put myself on add duty since then cause like hell am I going to be part of another bone dragon wipe.

Yup. One skeleton boom is nothing, them all going boom spread out isn't usually an issue unless the healers aren't doing anything, but if they all go boom at once without mitigation (I can't even remember who has tools to help the party for that at level 50) you can end up with half the raid dead or more. It's close, even a little bit of buffer can prevent it, but it's very possible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh god our sickness has spread.

Sickness must be purged

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you’re a warrior remember that no other tank can generate aggro as well as a berserked or inner released set of tomahawks. It’s not damage efficient, but you can voke back and hold hate where others cannot as easily.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Can I blame North pulls for our groups getting owned by the Iron Giant in the King Behemoth fight?

That's the tank (assuming someone actually picked it up) deciding to stand behind the same boulder as everyone else instead of taking a far one alone. CLEAVE CLEAVE CLEAVE

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Leal posted:

Sickness must be purged

This will be a mercy

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

and yet still, primal will freak the gently caress out if anyone dares tank the bone dragon anywhere but as far from the teleporter as possible

Kyrosiris posted:

Aether still parks Bone Dragon dead center where it loving belongs. :smug:

i moved from aether to primal a few months after i started playing, and this is still the most :psyduck: difference

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s a holdover to 2013, but it wasn’t really even necessary when the content was new. By the time the max ilevel was 110, it was completely unnecessary to even bother with skellies if healers were on the ball. I had more than one goon party be the only surviving party back in the day.

Do not underestimate how little I respect lota content

I saw it like a month ago and then sometime after that it was a full on wipe. Granted it hasn't happened to me since then, but I have put myself on add duty since then cause like hell am I going to be part of another bone dragon wipe.

This just makes it take longer honestly

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

HackensackBackpack posted:

I'm going to take Bone Dragon to the south the next time I get LotA as a tank.

Lol someone did that recently on crystal and cleave killed half the raid

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Recently on Aether I've seen a couple tanks pull Bone Dragon north. It has no actual effect on the outcome and yelling at people in alliance chat over it is tedious and useless, so whatever. They were still wrong to pull it north though. :colbert:

I also saw an actual wipe there a couple months ago, when somehow none of the healers were prepared for the skelesplosions.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I'm on chaos and I don't think I've ever seen bone dragon not pulled north. I don't do ADR much though. Also I have no idea what the mechanics are on that boss as it's so easy so I've literally no idea why it's a decision in the first place and I certainly don't care to find out.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Back in ye old days, you'd have the dragon north while each alliance went east, west, south and took care of skeles as they spawned and made sure they went down in separate spots so they wouldnt link up when they revive to rush the boss

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Back in the old days it was always better to keep the dragon center. Tanking north was always unnecessary and slower than center tanking even when the content was new.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I have no idea what’s even meant to be happening in that fight. What’s the difference between tanking it north and centre?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Tanking it north takes a couple seconds longer.

That's all.

Even if the mechanics mattered.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The skeletons run to the boss, killing themselves and dealing raidwide damage. They spawn in the center, thus, pulling the boss away from the center gives ranged dps more time to kill skeletons and prevent damage. It's also true that this doesn't matter if your healers are actually playing the game.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've run each of the HW alliance raids multiple times since the mogtome event started (they never came up in ADR before) and it's given me a real appreciation for Dun Scaith and Mhach, they're beautiful raids with great boss fights.

Why is Void Ark so dull and boring in comparison?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Void Ark was more interesting when the hallway fight in between the first and second boss didn't melt in seconds, the second boss actually got to feed and power up the pillar before being dying, and when Cu Chulainn actually got to do his final phase. Basically all stuff that's been outgeared.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

sirtommygunn posted:

The skeletons run to the boss, killing themselves and dealing raidwide damage. They spawn in the center, thus, pulling the boss away from the center gives ranged dps more time to kill skeletons and prevent damage. It's also true that this doesn't matter if your healers are actually playing the game.

The skeletons sprint to the boss the moment it dies though, especially if the dragon is pulled north, giving dps even less time to kill skeletons cause they're usually positioned at points far from where the skeletons spawn. It's why keeping dragon at center is actually better overall cause people will be standing at spots to actually respond to skeletons pre-sprint. More likely, all the skeletons explode anyways so it's usually just a healer check either way.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

FuturePastNow posted:

I've run each of the HW alliance raids multiple times since the mogtome event started (they never came up in ADR before) and it's given me a real appreciation for Dun Scaith and Mhach, they're beautiful raids with great boss fights.

Why is Void Ark so dull and boring in comparison?

Apparently they reassessed the difficulty level of Alliance Raids after they released Void Ark.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Void Ark was fine when it launched. Maybe a little easier, but same vein as Rabanastre and Copied Factory, which all became absolute jokes once the end-expansion ilvl completely clowned on them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Allarion posted:

The skeletons sprint to the boss the moment it dies though, especially if the dragon is pulled north, giving dps even less time to kill skeletons cause they're usually positioned at points far from where the skeletons spawn. It's why keeping dragon at center is actually better overall cause people will be standing at spots to actually respond to skeletons pre-sprint. More likely, all the skeletons explode anyways so it's usually just a healer check either way.

So based on all this, the key is that pulling BD north is a hang-over from when maybe the skeletons wouldn't be dead in time?

Was the original format one where the skeletons were spawning while the boss was up and you dedicated part of your raid to killing them? Because my experience with it as someone who started a month ago is that the dragon dies before the skeletons are all up, so it ends up with skeletons spawning in and immediately sprinting to the boss. So what was once a coordination check became a healer check as power creep did its thing?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The skeletons would spawn in the middle while the boss was alive, and the 5 off tanks would pull them to the spokes of the wheel the arena makes, and people would kill them. When the boss dies, the skeletons would respawn where they were defeated, and walk back to the boss to self destruct.

But now the boss dies too quick to pull them out and deal with them properly, so they're basically just going to spawn and immediately head to the boss corpse. With everyone synced, the maximum damage is high, but takes little effort to heal through with basic level 50 aoe heals.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The skeletons would spawn in the middle while the boss was alive, and the 5 off tanks would pull them to the spokes of the wheel the arena makes, and people would kill them. When the boss dies, the skeletons would respawn where they were defeated, and walk back to the boss to self destruct.

It's amazing what you never learn or see because of power creep.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also it is worth noting that the skeletons take a moment to actually pull themselves together. So if you hold the dragon in the middle the dps have time to kill the skeletons as they spawn but before they touch the dragon. Taking the dragon north causes the skeletons to zoom over and the DPS cannot keep up to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

It's amazing what you never learn or see because of power creep.

Someone tell me what those platforms around Glasya's arena are for.