Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/03/white-house-diverges-cdc-focuses-aerosol-covid-spread

Woah what the gently caress? Covid is airborne? This changes everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

So much for The Science!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
They gotta have him on prep

https://twitter.com/tmz/status/1507446789523267584?s=21

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm going to go outside and loving break something

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2022/03/23/lets-clear-the-air-on-covid/

I regret to inform you that Dr. Alondra Nelson has evidence that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Mar 25, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol i was watching some dumbass documentary about a bunch of old morons who wanna go treasure hunting in honduras and end up having their entire group get some parasite - it was from 2015 - and they interview anthony fauci and he's talking about how large zoonotic pandemics weaken large populations >.>

it was uh something about a monkey temple.

Anyway husband and I were just loving howling

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I regret to inform you that Dr. Alondra Nelson has evidence that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton.

I am going to loving scream

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

mdemone posted:

I am going to loving scream

You mean you weren't already?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TehSaurus posted:

You mean you weren't already?

no but I mean out loud

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fuckin A that got me on tilt

Jesus loving Christ. more than two years in.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mdemone posted:

no but I mean out loud

Do it with your heart instead.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Thoguh posted:

that's what the high blood pressure and tachycardia are already doing

how do they expect people to respond to this?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

Way ahead of you

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

NYT editorial board seems confused, COVID is over so why are funds needed to fight it?

quote:

OPINION
THE EDITORIAL BOARD
Congress Needs to Finish the Fight Against Covid
March 25, 2022

The worst of the Covid-19 pandemic may be behind us, but pretending that it is over will not make it so. A new Omicron subvariant, BA.2, is driving up coronavirus case counts in Europe and Asia, and experts predict it soon will account for the majority of new cases in the United States. The impact is uncertain. On the one hand, many Americans have already been infected by a similar strain of the virus. On the other hand, BA.2 arrives as people increasingly are resuming prepandemic behaviors, and according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, roughly one-third of Americans have not completed their initial round of vaccinations, and more than 70 percent have not received booster shots.

In the face of this uncertainty, it would be reckless for the government to reduce its efforts to minimize new cases and help those who fall ill. Yet that is exactly what is happening after Congress recently failed to approve $15.6 billion for tests, treatments and vaccines.
TBH it's amusing to see the editors walking the rhetorical tightrope maintaining that COVID is over while still motivating the need to actually pay for vaccines and treatments to prevent an unsustainable number of people from becoming too sick to work.

Semi-related, one big thing I don't understand about the recent failure of Congress to approve COVID funds is the negative impact on next-generation vaccine research funding. I'd assumed that rich people would actually want an effective sterilizing vaccine at some point and the basic model of American politics is that rich people get what they want and everything else is theatre. Maybe rich people feel secure enough with their access to limited therapeutics, but that honestly seems risky.

Failing to fund COVID vaccine research is such a counter-productive move that it's still hard to understand. It doesn't benefit any person rich or poor, while putting everyone at greater risk. It's a development that suggests real people aren't in charge anymore but investments interests themselves are effectively dictating policy, and they have determined that even suggesting that COVID might still be a problem is unacceptable. So no pan-coronavirus vaccines but number is happy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

NYT editorial board seems confused, COVID is over so why are funds needed to fight it?

TBH it's amusing to see the editors walking the rhetorical tightrope maintaining that COVID is over while still motivating the need to actually pay for vaccines and treatments to prevent an unsustainable number of people from becoming too sick to work.

Semi-related, one big thing I don't understand about the recent failure of Congress to approve COVID funds is the negative impact on next-generation vaccine research funding. I'd assumed that rich people would actually want an effective sterilizing vaccine at some point and the basic model of American politics is that rich people get what they want and everything else is theatre. Maybe rich people feel secure enough with their access to limited therapeutics, but that honestly seems risky.

Failing to fund COVID vaccine research is such a counter-productive move that it's still hard to understand. It doesn't benefit any person rich or poor, while putting everyone at greater risk. It's a development that suggests real people aren't in charge anymore but investments interests themselves are effectively dictating policy, and they have determined that even suggesting that COVID might still be a problem is unacceptable. So no pan-coronavirus vaccines but number is happy.

It’s because they are stupid and it didn’t occur to them. If they make the connection it’ll slip in to a future bill.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"It was your own fault for not installing plexiglass to stop the droplets. Now, it's your fault for not installing a completely new ventilation system in every building you use."

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

lol

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Fake bidens imo. Robots probably

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-sotrovimab-emergency-use-authorization

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

passed by the michelle obama school today, and saw that every kid was wearing a mask, except that most of them had them around their necks, and all the adults were unmasked altogether.

good thing schools don't spread the virus or that would be worrying

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coldrice posted:

I’ll add another anecdotal story.

I started feeling a little bit like a crazy person taking my covid safety measures so seriously. Everyone’s out and doing things and it just feels like you’re missing the world turning. Luckily this year I got the chance to feel like I was making the right moves.

In January i found out my previous work place, which seemed to have survived totally unscathed for a couple of years, has had rampant outbreaks over and over again. They just hid it, made staff quietly quarantine (or not at all) and didn’t tell their clients. Just villainous stuff.

In that same month I found out the die hard fitness places that stayed open, that I used to go to and miss dearly, have all had constant break outs with staff and clients. Gyms, martial arts studios, outdoor recreation… They just hid it.

If you ask any business they all will tell you they haven’t had a covid outbreak. Oh yeah they’re also mysteriously understaffed for some reason and client counts are down

**edit for typos

that would be a fun thing to model in covid simulator: an infection count for each individual person. give omi roni it’s real-world stats, including the buffed BA.2 version, and set the minimum reinfection timer to 6 weeks.

idk how or if to model the increased likelihood of it depleting your T cells and killing you, but maybe that would get the morons to understand “yeah you’ve caught omi 5 times already and it’s only been 6 months”.

get a new high score for an achievement :v:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

COVID-19? Pandemic? Friend, haven't you heard the good news?

...Oh, what's with the corsi cube and respirator, you ask? That's just for wildfire season. Now if you'll excuse me I have some beans to guard.

hell yes :five:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2022/03/23/lets-clear-the-air-on-covid/

It's taken them 2+ years to acknowledge this lol

Alright so you guys are going to immediately push out executive orders, launch mass spending initiatives, update OSHA regulations, equip schools, public spaces, etc with good ventilation, filters, promote mask usage, etc etc etc right??! right?!!!! right?!??!!!!!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Insanite posted:

entering day two of my symptoms living with a covid positive spouse.

my morning rapid test is negative.

so, uh, probably don’t bet it all on rapid tests early on.

When I got covid on basically 5 Jan or whenever, I felt 'allergies' on Saturday evening, tested negative Sunday afternoon, and positive Monday afternoon. I didn't use a throat swab. I bet you test positive later today or tomorrow morning.

Everyone at daycare is coughing but it's just a cold. My kids had it, I still have it but am getting better, I've taken three tests and my wife has taken two and we tested my son too. No fevers or any of the symptoms I had when I had covid though, just a gross cough and sore throat, no fever/chills/etc. <---30 people will comment 'definitely covid lol' but as I said, that would make it my 20th or so covid infection since the pandemic started. Rapid tests told me when I had covid (and I 'knew'), but I assure you there are lots of colds going around still, everyone. Not saying you, Insanite, don't have covid, but as far as I can tell, all the colds and flus together are more successful than covid, since there are still so many of them and they're still going 'round.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ah but this won't happen in america because, well, we don't want it to

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1507329507329548293

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

from that presser,

"Now, we all need to work collectively to make our friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers aware of what we can do or ask for to make being indoors together safer. Each of us has a set of simple but powerful actions we can use to bring clean air into the rooms we’re in and clean the air already in the room."

and later,

"I am pleased to announce next we will be bringing experts from the fields of public health, the social sciences, engineering, and journalism together at a virtual White House event to learn more. Register here to join Let’s Clear the Air on COVID, which will kick off at 12:30pm on March 29th."

lol this is happening march 2022 and not jan/feb 2021 or even lol jan/feb/march 2020

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

God I miss him.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

ah but this won't happen in america because, well, we don't want it to

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1507329507329548293

it won't happen in America because we won't test for it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Zerg Mans posted:

thank you mr. president

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
tired: everybody has covid
wired: everybody has allergies

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Tzen posted:

It's taken them 2+ years to acknowledge this lol

Alright so you guys are going to immediately push out executive orders, launch mass spending initiatives, update OSHA regulations, equip schools, public spaces, etc with good ventilation, filters, promote mask usage, etc etc etc right??! right?!!!! right?!??!!!!!

ah, it feels good to laugh

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

A corsi cube in every household

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Louisgod posted:

tired: everybody has covid
wired: everybody has allergies

“what’s killing millennials and kids?? oh well it’s a mystery”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zerg Mans posted:

iirc covid testing in the UK is over (much like Covid) today

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zerg Mans posted:

name change is very disorienting, ze germans

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fosborb posted:

name change is very disorienting, ze germans

the Huns are getting real into starcraft

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Zerg Mans posted:

A corsi cube in every household

poo poo i got 3, do i get 2 extra houses now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
late to hair chat, but advice from my disheveled youth: making different heights of ponytail (back of the neck, back of the head, top of the head, unicorn horn, etc) and cutting a bit off each time is the easiest not-awful-looking way to trim long hair. further forward you go with the ponytail, the more space there is between layers

just don't go too short unless you want a mullet