Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Randalor posted:

I honestly have no idea if this is supposed to be for or against her. She's presented with an image that, by definition, has no factually right or wrong answer, and still gives the only objectively true answer.

Stiglich is a right-winger so it's against her. That's the only way you can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

Lotsa options here.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You all forgot that Rall was definitely going to be a nuclear engineer, but in college he had a wart with roots that burrowed deep into his chest and hit his heart/aorta and caused him to bleed out (while having sex with a hot lady, of course) which forced him to drop the program. It was such a very real and unique phenomenon that medical journals did a study on it, which is also very real even though you can’t find anything regarding it.

I guess less morally dubious and just sad.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Raised By Birds posted:

He's been going after Schwab so much lately I was almost surprised to see him mention Soros again.

The idea of a single unifying force directing world events is ridiculous because politicians are immature and will ignore any attempt to get them in line in favor of petty bickering. AGC.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Did you forget that Rall repeatedly attempted to murder a kid in high school, had sex with multiple women when he thought he had HIV, and told a story about how he once murdered a homeless man?

He's never had a moral fiber.

I genuinely don't believe any one of those stories for a second. Someone called him pathetic and gross, and that's it. He's a pathetic gross dude who thinks such stories of macho aggression makes him cool. He's a contrarian so he lands on some points against certain US institutions on occasion, which only makes him stick out, since most of the poo poo we see here is trumpeting how great those aspects of the US are, but I know Rall is awful in general.

Discendo Vox posted:

He "came off okay" because you are the target audience.

I used "okay" in the way I think he ranks higher than say Ramirez, Branco, Garrison, McCoy, and our other arch conservative bigots, not that that's particularly hard to do. I don't think he's "okay" in the grand sum of humanity by any means. He's terrible and he sucks. I'm sure someone can find his own transphobic and homophobic pieces, but I don't remember them. I know he's sexist, but I'd wonder if he's really that different someone like Horsey with all his mealy-mouthed liberalism.

It's just that I would've assumed he was narcissistic enough to not debase himself with such deliberate propaganda but go figure.

I know we cater to a certain flavor of masochism in this thread, but are there really so few cartoonists of caliber left in the world?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Randalor posted:

I honestly have no idea if this is supposed to be for or against her. She's presented with an image that, by definition, has no factually right or wrong answer, and still gives the only objectively true answer.
It really us the most AGC cartoon possible. What is it about?
The farce of SCOTUS nomination hearings where the nominee answers questions in the most unrevealing way possible? No.
Mocking the bizarre and bad faith questions used to try and trap KBJ, which she is deftly navigating? No.
A funny joke about the 'Define a woman' interaction and how lawyers and judges treat words? No.

No, it's Tommy being mad that Blackburn's stupid 'trick' question failing and being mad that KBJ didn't fall for it, which makes KBJ a crazy person, apparently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know we cater to a certain flavor of masochism in this thread, but are there really so few cartoonists of caliber left in the world?

Broader events on the forums have been driving people away from DnD, which includes some of the people who used to post cartoonists, including some good ones and international ones. I'd definitely like to see more posted from additional sources.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Henny Beaumont on Boris Johnson’s political juggling act – The prime minister is facing pressure from all angles as the rising cost of living, Covid, the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the climate crisis continue to dominate the news"

Telegraph:

Boris Johnson vows to clamp down on Vladimir Putin's £100bn 'treasure trove of gold'

Matt:

P&O Ferries boss Peter Hebblethwaite would repeat mass sackings

Independent:

Biden says Ukraine should be able to attend G20 meetings if US efforts to expel Russia are unsuccessful

Times:

After S Lumley.
Bonus! Morland's animated cartoon.

Evening Standard:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cloud Potato posted:

Evening Standard:

I think it was a mistake to be calling them "overpaid", even if the speech bubble is coming from whichever bastard runs P&O. For one thing, it doesn't fit the meter of the song even slightly.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pants Donkey posted:

You all forgot that Rall was definitely going to be a nuclear engineer, but in college he had a wart with roots that burrowed deep into his chest and hit his heart/aorta and caused him to bleed out (while having sex with a hot lady, of course) which forced him to drop the program. It was such a very real and unique phenomenon that medical journals did a study on it, which is also very real even though you can’t find anything regarding it.

I guess less morally dubious and just sad.

I love it, I wish he just switched from political cartoons to telling bullshit self aggrandizing stories full time.
"...but then I had to take a break from having sex orgies with supermodels to put on my cosmonaut suit and fight this space monster who I actually went to kindergarten with (he was a lot smaller then)....."

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Broader events on the forums have been driving people away from DnD, which includes some of the people who used to post cartoonists, including some good ones and international ones. I'd definitely like to see more posted from additional sources.

The fact that the thread seems to turn into a greatest hits of Rall every time one gets posted probably isn't helping the bleeding

It's very much taking the route of the old threads that overfocused on a single target, everyone just plays the hits over and over and no-one actually enjoys it anymore

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

100YrsofAttitude posted:

II'm sure someone can find his own transphobic and homophobic pieces, but I don't remember them.

You don't remember Rall's classic "The left must oppose same sex marriage because it is an attempt to turn gay people straight" cartoon? Well here you go:

https://rall.com/comic/gay-liberation

And who could forget this opinion column, which has been mentioned in this thread many times, about how same sex marriage is ruining gays? https://rall.com/2013/03/27/syndicated-column-gays-and-lesbians-sucked-in-by-the-far-right

Some great quotes:

quote:

But gays and their straight allies are deluding themselves if they believe that achieving marriage equality is anything but a pyrrhic victory for liberals and progressives.

quote:

Gays and lesbians may not all realize it yet, but adopting the cultural trappings of America’s hegemonic majority culture is a tragic, disastrous, suicidal move. This is why those fighting for the right to enter into state-sanctioned monogamous marital pacts are finding that they’re pushing against an open door.

quote:

The sad truth is that the LGBT movement has abandoned its progressive roots. It has become a conservative movement.

Anyway...

Somfin posted:

The fact that the thread seems to turn into a greatest hits of Rall every time one gets posted probably isn't helping the bleeding

True, but I do think it's good for people who haven't been following this thread for years like we have know why Rall is such an rear end in a top hat, and why he gets so much hate when it sometimes looks like "Hey he's on the left too, he's got pretty good opinions, why does everyone hate him so much?"

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Haha, oh man now I remember that! What an idiot.

I should get more informed about the French press and see if there isn't anyone I can't post. It'd be a change in some way or another and I'd be happy to contribute somehow.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

True, but I do think it's good for people who haven't been following this thread for years like we have know why Rall is such an rear end in a top hat, and why he gets so much hate when it sometimes looks like "Hey he's on the left too, he's got pretty good opinions, why does everyone hate him so much?"

I remember the TVTropes thread spiralling in the same way by the end, a bunch of folks kept trying to get the good times rolling again by reposting classics and discussing years-deep in-jokes

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Rall isn't the only one I saw push that kind of idea at the time, unfortunately. I know I saw opinions during the marriage equality argument days (as if they've ever truly ended) from within that wanted queer people to stay "queer," as in weird, and that a fellow gay person's desire for marriage was somehow harmful to them. A definite minority of a minority opinion, but goddamn surreal.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I mean…yes? A judge should not rule using their own preconceived conclusions but instead expert testimony should be used to come to a fair and impartial ruling
Republicans don't believe this at all and inherently hate "experts", mostly because those experts contradict their hateful, centuries-old dogma.But even when they pretend otherwise, they're sure to state an exception for stuff like this. "Obvious" stuff. Stuff that "everybody knows" and is just "common sense". Challenging popular conceptions is something conservatives will froth about in general so any new understanding of broad concepts like sex and gender especially are topics conservatives will come down as hard as possible on.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

disposablewords posted:

Rall isn't the only one I saw push that kind of idea at the time, unfortunately. I know I saw opinions during the marriage equality argument days (as if they've ever truly ended) from within that wanted queer people to stay "queer," as in weird, and that a fellow gay person's desire for marriage was somehow harmful to them. A definite minority of a minority opinion, but goddamn surreal.

I dated a queer woman who felt this way. It was bizarre to me. And gay marriage has been legal here since 2005, and it was clearly not the end of gay culture like she claimed it was.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

disposablewords posted:

Also, doesn't this pretty much amount to a straight person (Rall) accusing gay people of not being "gay enough"?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare. Solomon Islands defends plans to expand security ties with China, as Canberra, Wellington express concern (ABC).

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Rowe:

Lethbridge:

Leunig:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I can't tell if this is intended to be complementary or a criticism for "settling".

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NDP posted:

Also, doesn't this pretty much amount to a straight person (Rall) accusing gay people of not being "gay enough"?

Considering that the article starts off with Rall saying "I miss the gays of the 70s, they defied cultural norms and should have liberated us from tradition," it seems like Rall thinks that gay people exist only to make society better for straight people. He also laments that gay people want to be just like "normal" people, which means he seems to fail to understand that people just happen to be gay, it isn't something people do to be different or have a radical counterculture lifestyle.

Somfin posted:

I remember the TVTropes thread spiralling in the same way by the end, a bunch of folks kept trying to get the good times rolling again by reposting classics and discussing years-deep in-jokes

Eh, I guess that's potentially a danger of any thread, yeah, but we have enough people posting cartoons daily that I think we have a long way to go before it's just people posting old Ralls for weeks on end. Political cartoons are usually run daily so there's more or less always fresh content (even if we don't post all of them), rather than having to wait for an article on a site to update for something new.

e: I feel like that's why the Conservapedia thread died off here too now that you mention it, it used to be fairly active, but eventually it ran out of weird articles to laugh at and discuss and had to wait for User: Conservative to write something new. When it didn't come, it just turned into "Hey remember when Andy did [thing]?" and that only goes so far.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 25, 2022

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Considering that the article starts off with Rall saying "I miss the gays of the 70s, they defied cultural norms and should have liberated us from tradition," it seems like Rall thinks that gay people exist only to make society better for straight people. He also laments that gay people want to be just like "normal" people, which means he seems to fail to understand that people just happen to be gay, it isn't something people do to be different or have a radical counterculture lifestyle.

I find it funny that Ted Rall laments the LGBT movement being co-opted into being conservative, while he seems to have internalized the idea that people being gay or trans is a radical series of actions that goes against the very fabric of society, which is a deeply conservative worldview.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh, I guess that's potentially a danger of any thread, yeah, but we have enough people posting cartoons daily that I think we have a long way to go before it's just people posting old Ralls for weeks on end. Political cartoons are usually run daily so there's more or less always fresh content (even if we don't post all of them), rather than having to wait for an article on a site to update for something new.

There's definitely fresh content being posted quite regularly, but the discussion appears to mostly be taking place elsewhere.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I find it funny that Ted Rall laments the LGBT movement being co-opted into being conservative, while he seems to have internalized the idea that people being gay or trans is a radical series of actions that goes against the very fabric of society, which is a deeply conservative worldview.

Its peak Rall to quantify gay people's worth by the mount of entertainment he got from them

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CSPAM has a thread, and may or may not feature a different rogues gallery than here, although it moves slower than this one.

I don’t post in it because that would violate the terms of my posting parole.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Since Horsey was mentioned, let's see what he's up to today.

David Horsey posted:

The successful effort of workers at the Starbucks on the corner of Broadway and East Denny Way to form a union may be just an isolated event, but it also could be a harbinger of things to come.

After a golden era for unions in the middle of the 20th century — the gold being improved wages for millions of workers that lifted them into America’s middle class — the number of people represented by unions dwindled dramatically in recent decades. One reason for that decline was attributable to the disappearance of so many of the industrial jobs that were the most heavily unionized.

Today, there is an uptick in formation of unions that is happening in a different sector — service workers. The people in those jobs — from Starbucks baristas to hotel maids — are among the most economically insecure. Many are young, many are immigrants or people of color. They include men and women without high school degrees, as well as college grads who cannot find work matching their field of study. They are more transient, more likely to be working part time and certainly unable to pay for their own health care.

For many employers, these lesser-skilled workers have been easily replaceable. They had no impetus to offer better pay, better hours and extra benefits to workers with very little leverage. However, the coronavirus pandemic may have changed things.

Over the last two disrupted years, many people have dropped out of the workforce or have reassessed what demands and indignities they will tolerate in jobs that do not pay them a living wage. At least for now, it is tougher for employers to find enough people to do the unglamorous, unfulfilling and poorly rewarded work that undergirds our entire economy.

At the Starbucks on Broadway, only 13 employees were eligible for the union vote, so this was not a major event in the great scheme of things. However, folks at six other Starbucks locations in the city are working to form unions. If this is happening at a company where employees are treated comparatively well, what may yet come in the less enlightened corners of the economy?

David Horsey posted:

In his Sunday column, Danny Westneat diagnosed the contradictions that plague Seattle’s attempts to deal with our city’s most prolific criminals.

As Westneat pointed out, those malefactors are no strangers to the police; they are arrested repeatedly. Yet, divergent concepts of justice among the various actors in the city’s political and legal system have repeatedly undermined attempts to put an end to these people’s careers in crime.

There are 118 offenders who have been identified by Seattle and King County as being responsible for 2,400 crimes. Among them are gun-toting dealers of deadly drugs, as well as professional thieves who steal from beleaguered downtown stores and private cars and homes in the neighborhoods. Simple logic would suggest that taking these individuals off the streets would be the smart thing to do, but that is not happening.

Advocates for better drug and mental-health treatment programs and activists pushing against institutional racism and inequities in the legal system are rightly arguing that locking people up and throwing away the key is no long-term solution to crime. Unfortunately, this sound argument is often twisted to suggest that any effective effort to stop persistent criminals must be deferred until perfect justice has been achieved.

That approach leaves the vast majority of the city’s residents – especially those living in predominantly non-white communities who are disproportionately the victims of crime – with their own rights abused and justice denied. So, city leaders, get your act together. Get the persistent perpetrators into drug rehab or a mental-health program or into a prison cell, whatever approach makes sense, but get them out of the revolving door at the courthouse where they are repeatedly set loose to degrade our city again and again.

I think Horsey's toons are even larger than Garrison's.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Neito posted:

I can't tell if this is intended to be complementary or a criticism for "settling".

I thought it was obviously criticism.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

quote:

Advocates for better drug and mental-health treatment programs and activists pushing against institutional racism and inequities in the legal system are rightly arguing that locking people up and throwing away the key is no long-term solution to crime.

quote:

So, city leaders, get your act together. Get the persistent perpetrators into drug rehab or a mental-health program or into a prison cell, whatever approach makes sense

"People are correct when they say that locking people in prison isn't the solution to crime, but the city should do it anyway."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

He resigned in protest because the DA forced his team to drop the case.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress you Horsey.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hmm yes I also don't understand the difference between individual predicaments and the idea of sociological imagination and also

By popular demand posted:

gently caress you Horsey.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"it is impossible to care about immediately pressing problems and also their root causes at the same time. i am very smart" - horsey

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

Since Horsey was mentioned, let's see what he's up to today.

I think Horsey's toons are even larger than Garrison's.

Since Horsey hasn't been posted in a lil bit there's also this one

The good ol centrist mindset of how republicans want to do the right thing but are afraid of Trump.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

kirschen: immortal

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

I'm trying to think of an interpretation of this that isn't openly terrible and i just cant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jay Rust posted:

kirschen: high AF